The experimenter is the common title of a popular series of specialist books in the field of laboratory biology . The six volumes published so far on various sub-areas of practical laboratory work in the biosciences are characterized in particular by a very practical and often humorous writing style. The aim is not to just introduce methods and provide the reader with complete instructions. Rather, the experimental researcher should be given a feeling for which questions he can solve with which methods of the respective subject area, which practical limits a certain method has, which problems and pitfalls may await him and which advantages and disadvantages different methods and approaches have in comparison.
Further goals of the authors are to provide new ideas when concrete problems arise and to reduce the frustration associated with unsuccessful experiments. The books are suitable both as reference works and for reading through chronologically. Detailed information, work instructions and protocols for the individual methods are partially included, but reference is often made to corresponding further books or publications. The volume of the books is around 220 to 400 pages.
The first volume was published in 1996, Der Experimentator: Proteinbiochemie by Hubert Rehm , which was followed in 1999 by The Experimenter: Molecular Biology by Cornel Mülhardt. In the third edition, the content and title of both books were supplemented by the methods of proteomics and genomics . The Experimenter: Protein Biochemistry / Proteomics is now in the sixth edition , The Experimenter: Molecular Biology / Genomics in the seventh edition. Characteristic of the style in these books are the quotes from the work Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes in the protein biochemistry volume and from Johann Wolfgang von Goethe's Faust in the molecular biology volume, which the authors inserted thematically appropriately. Hubert Rehm is also known among bioscientists as co-editor of the journal Laborjournal and, under the pseudonym Siegfried Bär, as the author of the book Research in German .
The books Der Experimentator: Immunologie , written by Werner Luttmann, among others, and Der Experimentator: Microarrays by Hans-Joachim Müller and Thomas Röder, which appeared in succession in 2004, after the takeover of the Heidelberg publishing house Spektrum Akademischer Verlag by the Elsevier publishing group , gave way to Cover design from the first two volumes. The Don Quijote -beziehungsweise fist -Zitate are no longer included in these two books. With the fifth edition of the first two volumes, which have now also been published by Elsevier, the external design of these has been adapted to the other two books. In May 2007, Der Experimentator: Zellkultur by Sabine Schmitz was published as the fifth volume, in November 2010 the sixth volume, Der Experimentator: Neuroswissenschaften .
Volumes published so far
- Hubert Rehm : The Experimenter: Protein Biochemistry / Proteomics. Sixth edition. Spectrum Akademischer Verlag, Heidelberg 2009, ISBN 3-8274-1726-0 .
- Cornel Mülhardt: The Experimenter: Molecular Biology / Genomics. Seventh edition. Spektrum Akademischer Verlag, Heidelberg 2013, ISBN 3-8274-2036-9 .
- Werner Luttmann, Kai Bratke, Michael Küpper, Daniel Myrtek: The Experimenter: Immunology. Third edition. Spektrum Akademischer Verlag, Heidelberg 2008, ISBN 3-8274-2026-1 .
- Hans-Joachim Müller, Thomas Röder: The experimenter: microarrays. Spectrum Akademischer Verlag, Heidelberg 2004, ISBN 3-8274-1438-5 .
- Sabine Schmitz: The experimenter: cell culture. Third edition. Spektrum Akademischer Verlag, Heidelberg 2011, ISBN 3-8274-2572-7 .
- Guido Hermey, Claudia Mahlke, Michael Schwake, Tobias Sommer-Blöchl: The Experimenter: Neuroscience. Spektrum Akademischer Verlag, Heidelberg 2010, ISBN 3-8274-2368-6 .
- Der Experimentator - Website for the series at Springer-Verlag