GPRS support node
A GPRS Support Node ( GSN ) is an element in the switching network of a mobile phone provider that represents an essential part of the GPRS infrastructure. A GSN is either an SGSN (Serving GPRS Support Node) or a GGSN (Gateway GPRS Support Node).
For the purpose of authentication, authorization and billing of customer connections, GSN communicate with the Mobile Services Switching Center (MSC) and the Visitor Location Register (VLR) ( Gs interface), the Home Location Register (HLR) ( Gr interface), the SMS-SC ( Gd interface) and the Equipment Identity Register (EIR) ( Gf interface) of a mobile phone provider.
SGSN (Serving GPRS Support Node)
An SGSN is connected via Frame Relay or IP to one or more Packet Control Units (PCU) ( Gb interface), which represent the connecting elements to the GSM EDGE Radio Access Network (GERAN). It is connected to a GGSN via the Gn interface. SGSN represent the basic functionality of packet-oriented data switching in the GSM network.
USGSN (UMTS Serving GPRS Support Node)
A USGSN is connected via ATM or IP to one or more radio network controllers (RNC) ( IuPS interface), which represent the connecting elements to the UMTS Terrestrial Radio Access Network (UTRAN). It is connected to a GGSN via the Gn interface. USGSN represent the basic functionality of packet-oriented data switching in the UMTS network.
GGSN (Gateway GPRS Support Node)
A GGSN represents the transition from a GPRS network to a PDN (Public Data Network or Packet Data Network). To do this, it communicates with one or more SGSNs via the Gn interface and with a packet-oriented network such as the one via the Gi interface Internet or an ATM network.
PCRF (Policy and Charging Rules Function)
The Policy and Charging Rules Function ( PCRF ) controls the various components, such as GGSN / P-GW via the Gx interface , as the intelligence in the cellular data network . It is a pure signaling system that does not carry user plan traffic. A key function of the PCRF is
- Permission control for the use of cellular data network resources, e.g. B. Internet access allowed or not
- Control of the network resource, e.g. B. Internet access allowed at 2 Mbit / s or 150 Mbit / s
- Configuration of the GGSN / P-GW regarding the billing of network resources (time or volume based)
Network provider-specific rules are stored in the PCRF, which, based on various input criteria, define their output values and control data usage
- Data link information, e.g. B. used APN, country, device etc.
- Customer information, e.g. B. booked tariff
- 3GPP TS 23.060: General Packet Radio Service (GPRS); Service description; Stage 2; Cape. 5.4 - Logical Architecture ( English , ZIP / DOC; 5.2 MB) September 29, 2009. Accessed December 1, 2009.