The Hamburg Biography is a biographical reference work that is limited to people associated with the city of Hamburg . The volumes have been compiled by the Hamburg History Center at the University of Hamburg since 2000 and ended with the seventh volume in 2020. The editors are Franklin Kopitzsch and Dirk Brietzke .
The volumes published contain a total of 2133 articles. Only deceased personalities who were born in Hamburg or who played a significant role here were recorded. The individual volumes are each arranged from A – Z and are made accessible through a cumulative index . In the 6th volume this register was expanded to include persons who do not have their own entry, but are mentioned in the existing ones. There is an overlap in content with the Biographical Lexicon for Schleswig-Holstein and Lübeck , in particular for persons effective in Altona and Wandsbek .
The first two volumes were published by Christians Verlag in Hamburg in 2001 and 2003 ; after its bankruptcy, the series was continued from 2006 by Wallstein Verlag Göttingen.
- Christians, Hamburg 2001, ISBN 3-7672-1364-8 . 2nd improved edition: Wallstein, Göttingen 2008, ISBN 978-3-8353-0098-9 .
- Christians, Hamburg 2003, ISBN 3-7672-1366-4 . Accepted edition: Wallstein, Göttingen 2006, ISBN 3-8353-0099-7 .
- Wallstein, Göttingen 2006, ISBN 3-8353-0081-4 .
- Wallstein, Göttingen 2008, ISBN 978-3-8353-0229-7 .
- Wallstein, Göttingen 2010, ISBN 978-3-8353-0640-0 .
- Wallstein, Göttingen 2012, ISBN 978-3-8353-1025-4 .
- Wallstein, Göttingen 2020, ISBN 978-3-8353-3579-0
- ↑ Preface to Volume 7, p. 7.
- ↑ Preface to Volume 6, p. 8; see. also the publisher's announcement for volume 6 , accessed on November 14, 2012.
- ↑ Christian's publishing house before the end? , Hamburger Abendblatt of October 27, 2004, accessed on November 15, 2012.