Means of information
Information medium is an information science term that specifically describes everything that is suitable for a targeted search for information due to its layout and structure. In particular, the information media includes all types of reference works , but also other media that are not generally counted as reference works, such as pure databases , tables, inventory catalogs in libraries and museums, finding aids in archives, search engines on the Internet and the like.
Each is characteristic
- the ability to locate existing information in a targeted manner and
- a preparation of the information that allows a selective reception.
This means, for example, that as in a printed manual searching through registers must be supported and / or detailed breakdown and also that the thus found information must be understandable even without extensive reading of the previous text for readers of the target group of the handbook.
As a general term, information media describes anything that is suitable for obtaining information about an object.
- Klaus Schreiber (ed.): Information material for libraries . 1993 ff., . Librarian journal with reviews.
- Information material for libraries , online edition
- General information material , university script by Hermann Rösch