( March 16, 2015 )
|operating system||Platform independent|
|programming language||C ++|
|category||HTML rendering - Library|
Presto is a proprietary HTML rendering engine that was specially developed for the Opera browser from 2003 to 2013 and is used there from version 7 to version 12.18. Presto is also used for the Opera Mini and Opera Mobile mobile browsers. With the release of Opera 15, the development of the engine for the desktop version was stopped, only in Opera Mini it is still used on the server side.
It differs from its predecessor mainly in terms of its dynamic way of working: called pages or their parts can be re-rendered at any time using Document Object Model events .
Presto also fully supports the Document Object Model (DOM) of the W3C .
Furthermore, Presto interprets so-called Street HTML (derogatory in the same way: "Gasse source text"). The manufacturer used this to designate websites that did not conform to the standards and were optimized for Internet Explorer , which was still widely used at the time .
- Opera 7 to 12
- Opera Mobile 9.5 to 12
- Opera Mini (Presto is kept alive there by means of a mediation server that compresses the websites in size)
- Nintendo DS Browser (based on Opera)
- Nintendo DSi Browser (based on Opera)
- Wii Internet Channel Browser (based on Opera)
- Nokia 770 browser (based on Opera)
- Sony Mylo COM-1's browser (based on Opera)
- Macromedia Dreamweaver MX to Dreamweaver CS3 (CS4 / CS5 already use WebKit )
- Adobe Creative Suite 2 and 3
- Virtual Mechanics SiteSpinner Pro
|Presto version||ECMAScript version||Code name||Opera browser||Opera Mobile||Other use||New features|
|pre Presto||Linear A||Elektra||4.0|
|1.0||Linear B||unnamed||7.0||A completely new rendering engine, for the first time also favicon support|
|8.5||"Bolton" version: First free Opera version without advertising banners|
|2.0||Merlin||9.0||Internet Channel||Canvas, ACID2 test passed, rich text editing, XSLT and XPath|
|2.1||Futhark||Kestrel||9.5||9.5||Nintendo DSi browser||SVG Tiny 1.2, SVG via CSS, SVG via img., Audio objects|
|2.1.1||9.6||Scope API , SVG as a favicon|
|9.8||Acid3 test: 100/100, pixel-perfect, Web fonts, CSS Selectors API, RGBA & HSLA transparency, TLS 1.2., FPS in SVG, SVG fonts in HTML|
|2.3||Opera Devices SDK 10||New CSS3 features: border-image, border-radius (rounded corners), box-shadow, transitions;
HTML5: Support for audio and video tags
|2.4||10||CSS2.1: visibility: collapse;
HTML5: <canvas> shadows, Web Database, Web Storage , window.btoa, and window.atob
|2.5.24||Carakan||Evenes||10.5||10.1||Opera Mini server||CSS3: multiple backgrounds;
HTML5: <canvas> text
|2.6.30||10.6||WebM ; HTML5: AppCache , Geolocation , Web Workers|
|2.7.62||Kjevik||11.0||11.0||Extensions , WebSocket|
|2.8.131||Barracuda||11.1||11.1||Opera Mini server 4.27||WebP , File API , CSS3 gradients (but only for background and background-image ): -o-linear-gradient (), -o-repeating-linear-gradient (); Support for <color-stop>.|
|2.9.168||Swordfish||11.5||History management, classList (DOMTokenList)|
|2.9.201||11.50 for Android||ECMAScript "strict mode"|
|2.10.229||Tunny||11.6||11.6||HTML5 parser, full support for CSS gradients, typed arrays, CSS unit "rem"|
|2.10.254||Wahoo||12.0||WebGL as well as hardware acceleration|
|2.11.355||marlin||12.1 for Android||SPDY , CSS3 flexbox|
|2.12.388||12.10 to 12.18|
From version 15 (available since July 2013) Opera Software uses the HTML rendering engine Blink . The reason given at the time was that the Presto engine was too confusing and the effort to come up with an open-source solution supported by several software developers was simply too great.
In January 2017, the engine's source code was stolen and published by strangers.
- ↑ dev.opera.com .
- ↑ Vincent Lextrait: The Programming Languages Beacon at lextrait.com, accessed June 6, 2013. (English)
- ↑ About the various future prognoses for a world without Presto on peterkroener.de, accessed on June 6, 2013.
- ↑ SVG DOM Interfaces support in Opera Presto 2.7 on opera.com, accessed June 6, 2013.
- ↑ Dev.Opera - Opera Browsers, Modes & Engines. Retrieved March 22, 2019 .
- ↑ Surf in Bed: Nintendo DS Browser hits Japan . Opera Software ASA . July 24, 2006. Retrieved November 2, 2008.
- ^ Rahul Srinivas and Jon S. von Tetzchner : Operating Systems are Less Important: Opera . Techtree . October 8, 2008. Archived from the original on April 15, 2012. Retrieved on February 25, 2009.
- ↑ Play with the Web: Opera browser now available for download on Wii . Opera Software ASA . December 22, 2006. Retrieved November 2, 2008.
- ↑ Sony Electronics uses the Opera browser for its new mylo personal communicator . Opera Software ASA . August 23, 2006. Retrieved November 2, 2008.
- ↑ Powered by Opera: Opera Integrated with Adobe Creative Suite 2 . Opera Software ASA . April 4, 2005. Retrieved November 2, 2008.
- ↑ Adobe Creative Suite 3 (CS3) uses built-in Opera for rendering engine . March 28, 2007. Archived from the original on March 3, 2008. Retrieved on April 20, 2008.
- ^ Design Web Pages for the Desktop and Mobile Devices . Virtual Mechanics Inc .. November 18, 2008. Archived from the original on January 9, 2009. Retrieved November 18, 2008.
- ↑ Opera 7 for Windows changelog . Opera software. Retrieved February 28, 2011.
- ^ Opera Dragonfly documentation . Opera software . Retrieved February 27, 2009.
- ↑ Reviewer's Guide to Opera Mobile 9.5 Beta . Opera software . Retrieved February 27, 2009.
- ↑ Bruce Lawson: Opera Presto 2.1 - Web standards supported by Opera's core . Opera software . September 10, 2008. Archived from the original on February 25, 2009. Info: The archive link was automatically inserted and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. Retrieved February 27, 2009.
- ↑ Opera announces the new Opera Mobile 9.7 at CTIA Wireless 2009 - a server-accelerated full web experience for smartphones and mobile devices . Opera software . March 26, 2009. Retrieved June 11, 2009.
- ^ Opera Software grows in Poland: International Web browser company celebrates the Warsaw office opening . Opera software . June 2, 2009. Retrieved June 11, 2009.
- ↑ Yngve Pettersen Nysæter: New in Opera Presto 2.2: TLS 1.2 support . Opera software . February 25, 2009. Archived from the original on March 4, 2009. Retrieved on February 27, 2009.
- ↑ Huib Kleinhout: Opera 10.60 goes final . In: My Opera . Opera software . July 1, 2010. Archived from the original on July 2, 2010. Retrieved July 2, 2010.
- ↑ Introducing Opera 12 Alpha . In: My Opera . Opera software . October 13, 2011. Archived from the original on October 15, 2011. Retrieved on January 28, 2012.
- ↑ Opera Mobile 12.1: with SPDY, WebSockets, Flexbox, and more . In: My Opera . Opera software . October 9, 2012. Archived from the original on October 10, 2012. Retrieved on October 10, 2012.
- ↑ Web browser Opera 15 published by heise.de, accessed on November 7, 2013.
- ↑ Why did Opera go from Presto to Chromium? opera.com, accessed March 22, 2018.
- ^ Opera Presto Source Code Leaks Online . In: BleepingComputer . ( bleepingcomputer.com [accessed January 26, 2017]).