A retention basin (short: RHB) is an artificially created basin that is used to store larger amounts of water.
One differentiates between:
- Flood / flood protection polder , a diked, low-lying area near bodies of water
- Flood retention basin (HRB), a dam, the main purpose of which is to regulate the flow rate of a river during flooding
- Rainwater retention basin (RRB), an artificially created tank that is used to store large amounts of rainwater. In contrast to the flood retention basin, it is not located in or on a river
- Wilhelm Geißler: Sewerage and wastewater treatment. Published by Julius Springer, Berlin 1933.
- Ulrich Maniak: hydrology and water management. 4th edition, Springer Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, Berlin Heidelberg 1997, ISBN 978-3-662-07830-3 .
- Artur Splittgerber, Ms. Sierp, Hugo Holthöfer: water and air. Published by Julius Springer, Berlin 1939.
- German water usage regulations for the retention basin (accessed on March 31, 2016)
- Retention basin example (accessed on March 31, 2016)