The Upside of Unrequited
The Upside of Unrequited is a2017 novel byAmerican author Becky Albertalli. It is her second novel and is about the insecure Molly Peskin-Suso, who fell in love unrequitedly 26 times. Albertalli was created by Emma from Jane Austen and the film Clueless - What Else! inspired. A German translation has not yet been published.
Seventeen-year-old Molly Peskin-Suso fell in love unrequited 26 times, never taking a step towards the person because she was afraid of rejection - especially because she believed she was fat. When her cynical twin, Cassie, meets a beautiful girl named Mina and sinks into lovesickness, Molly grapples with the loneliness that comes with it. But Cassie tries to set her up with a cute, red-haired hipster boy named Will so that she can hang out with her friend and Molly. Molly finds him interesting and she keeps telling herself that she likes him so she can get her first kiss back as well as her twin sister. But she soon falls in love with her chubby Tolkien superfan colleague Reid, which wasn't the plan, right?
Connection to other works by Becky Albertalli
Molly Peskin-Suso is the cousin of Abby Suso, who appears in the book Just Three Words (English original title: Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda ). There are allusions to Simon and his friends throughout the novel, as well as cameos of characters from Just Three Words . The book, along with Just Three Words and Leah on the Offbeat, is part of the same book universe that the author calls "Simon-verse".
- Caitlyn Paxson: 'Upside Of Unrequited' Is A Fresh, Fun, Snarky Spring Fling. In: NPR.org. April 15, 2017, accessed April 21, 2017 .
- Nivea Serrao: After 26 crushes, Now What? 'The Upside of Unrequited,' Reviewed. In: EW.com. April 18, 2017, accessed April 21, 2017 .
- Karen Rough: 'The Upside of Unrequited' by Becky Albertalli is as adorable as 'Simon'. In: Hypable. April 12, 2017, accessed April 21, 2017 .
- Nivea Serraod: Becky Albertalli on How 'Upside of Unrequited' Adds to the 'Simon'-Verse. In: EW.com. April 12, 2017, accessed April 21, 2017 .
- Nivea Serrao: Becky Albertalli on How 'Upside of Unrequited' Adds to the 'Simon'-Verse. In: EW.com. April 12, 2017, accessed July 2, 2087 .