|Top-level domain .top|
|Registry||Jiangsu Bangning Science & Technology|
|number||> 2.4 million|
The TLD .top is published and administered by the .top registry , which belongs to the Jiangsu Bangning Group in Nanjing , People's Republic of China , and has been registered without any special requirements since November 18, 2014.
Currently (as of June 2018) around 2,480,000 .top domains from around 220 different countries and areas are registered.
- On June 20, 2011, ICANN officially announced that the application for new TLDs will open in 2012.
- On April 11, 2012, the application for the new TLD .top was submitted online, and on June 9, 2012, it appeared on ICANN's public list.
- On March 20, 2013, he passed his first exam.
- On March 20, 2014, the applicant for the new .top TLD signed the corresponding contract with ICANN.
- On August 5, 2014, the domain closed the ICANN root zone for new TLDs.
- On October 15, 2014 the new TLD .top entered the sunrise period .
- The new TLD .top was generally registered for the first time on November 18, 2014. The registration volume already reached around 10,000 registered .top domains on the first day.
- On March 5, 2015, the TLD .top was added to Sedo , the world's largest trading platform for domain names.
- On April 24, 2015, the TLD .top was incorporated into the dataset of the Chinese government agency MIIT (Ministry of Industry and Information Technology).
The TLD .top is one of only four approved new TLDs with which websites in China can go online. In September 2015, around 250,000 new .top domains were registered within one week, which at that time led to an approximate total volume of 530,000 registered .top domains. In December 2015 the TLD .top reached an approximate total volume of 1,000,000 registered domains, in December 2016 an approximate total volume of 4,500,000 registered domains.
A .top domain can consist of letters / numbers / hyphens / certain special characters and have a length of 1 to 63 characters and can be registered for a period of a minimum of 1 year to a maximum of 10 years, a time extension is possible at any time.
The private (anonymous) registration of .top domains is also possible.
In January 2016 the .top registry expanded its offering to include the option of registering IDN .top domains, which now also includes the character sets Arabic, Chinese (simplified), Chinese (traditional), French, German, Japanese, Russian and Spanish are.
Measured by the number of registered domains of all "new gTLDs", the TLD .top is in first place (as of May 2018). Based on the number of registered domains of all TLDs, the TLD .top is currently in 17th position (as of June 2018).
The originally English word "top" means "first class", "top-notch", "high - end", "the best", "the highest (in terms of rank)" etc. in almost every language.
- keenthemes: .Top Domains .
- Top Registry . In: Icannwiki.com . Retrieved May 22, 2015.
- Domain extensions put on record with Chinese MIIT ( Memento from January 8, 2016 in the Internet Archive )
- keenthemes: .Top Domains .
- NameStat - gTLD stats, Metrics and Analysis .
- Domain Count Statistics for TLDs - DomainTools .