A bit stream ( English bitstream ) is a sequence of bits of indefinite length in time sequence. It is the most superficial way of looking at a data stream , which on closer inspection is normally divided into logical structures. As a rule, it is initially divided into more fundamental small structures such as symbols of a fixed size - the bytes (byte stream) - and then into blocks and data packets of different protocols and formats .
On digital storage media and data transmission s channels , the data are mostly as a single data stream represented by a, for example, the electrical signal before. In order to make several data streams available more or less simultaneously, they are interlaced in sections by multiplexers to form a single sequence and then divided again on the other side by appropriate demultiplexers in order to be sent to different programs or devices.
- Michael Dickreiter, Volker Dittel, Wolfgang Hoeg, Martin Wöhr (eds.): Manual of the recording studio technology. 8th, revised and expanded edition, 2 volumes. Walter de Gruyter, Berlin / Boston 2014, ISBN 978-3-11-028978-7 .
- Werner Rupprecht: Introduction to the theory of cognitive communication. Springer Fachmedien, Wiesbaden 2014, ISBN 978-3-658-05497-7 .
- Ulrich Reimers: DVB - digital television technology. 3rd edition, Springer Verlag, Berlin / Heidelberg 2006, ISBN 978-3-540-43490-0 .
- Anatol Badach, Erwin Hoffmann: Technology of the IP networks. Internet communication in theory and use, 3rd edition, Carl Hanser Verlag, Munich 2015, ISBN 978-3-446-43976-4 .
- Stefan Weinzierl (Ed.): Handbook of audio technology. Springer Verlag, Berlin 2008, ISBN 978-3-540-34300-4 .
- IP bitstream - new opportunities for the competition (accessed August 31, 2017)
- Bitstream encryption (accessed August 31, 2017)
- Data stream (accessed August 31, 2017)