|Web games database|
|operator||BoardGameGeek, LLC .
BoardGameGeek is an English-language web games database ( Online - Database ), the games , game designers and game publishers cataloged. This was founded in January 2000 by Scott Alden and Derk Solko and generates income through advertising, the online currency "GeekGold" and voluntary annual donations. Currently (August 2018) over 100,000 games are registered there. The German Games Museum describes the database as the "largest catalog of published games".
As a registered user you can manage your own collection, record your own games statistically and rate games. A ranking list of the games is derived from the individual ratings and is recalculated daily. The Golden Geek Award for outstanding author's games has been presented annually since 2006 .
Reception and award
- The “BGG.CON”, a board game convention, has been held in Dallas every year since 2005, attracting numerous visitors and bringing people back to board and card games.
- In 2010, The BoardGameGeek Game , designed and created by Richard Breese, came out. Up to six players can slip into the role of game publishers or geeks.
- In 2010, the website received the Diana Jones Award for Excellence in Gaming .
- In 2015 BoardGameGeek: The Card Game was published, which is also designed for up to six players.
- Stewart Woods: Hobby Gamers . In: Eurogames: The Design, Culture and Play of Modern European Board Games . McFarland, Jefferson / London 2012, ISBN 978-0-7864-9065-3 , pp. 121 ff . ( books.google.de - Report on the history of BoardGameGeek).
- German SPIELEmuseum Chemnitz - boardgamegeek. In: German Games Museum . Retrieved December 29, 2015 .
- Members - Scott Alden. International Gamers Awards, accessed October 10, 2019 .
- Texas Plays Its Role in America's Board Game Comeback. Reporting Texas, 2019, accessed October 10, 2019 .
- The BoardGameGeek Game spieletest.at.
- The 2010 Award. dianajonesaward.org, 2015, accessed October 10, 2019 (American English).
- BoardGameGeek The Card Game spieletest.at.