Bonn Institute for Migration Research and Intercultural Learning
|Bonn Institute for Migration Research and Intercultural Learning
|Chair:||Julia Tran (1st Chair)|
The aim of the institute is to contribute to research into the history, causes and effects of migration . Further goals of the work of the BIM are in the area of promoting intercultural learning and intercultural education.
The BIM sees itself as a research facility that not only generates knowledge, but also promotes intercultural coexistence in practice. The association considers the improvement of the living situation of migrants living in Germany to be necessary and would like to contribute to this with its work. The association believes that his research is necessary because immigration is a part of social reality and a discussion about the solution of problems in this context is necessary. By closely interlinking science and practice, new perspectives are to be developed.
From intercultural youth projects to publications in the Free Pen Verlag to the Bonn book fair Migration, which takes place every two years in the House of History, the association is committed to understanding cooperation in society on several levels. The then board of the association, Hıdır Çelik , was awarded the Federal Cross of Merit in 2016 for his commitment.
The association, in which 180 nationalities are represented, develops scientific principles and empirical data to objectify the discussion about integration issues in North Rhine-Westphalia and all of Germany, and its research transfers knowledge to politics, civil society and the media.
The main research areas of BIM are divided into the following topics:
- Research Area I: Religion, Interreligiosity and Migration
- Research Area II: Education, Upbringing and Migration
- Research Area III: Health and Migration
- Research area IV: Transcultural mobility, refugee and migration movements
- Research Area V: History of Migration
- Research area VI: Project-oriented basic research in the fields of youth, women, older migrants
- About us. In: Migrapolis. Bonn Institute for Migration Research and Intercultural Learning, accessed on February 22, 2020 .
- Prime Minister Hannelore Kraft presents the Federal Order of Merit to 16 citizens of North Rhine-Westphalia. In: Wir in NRW - the state portal. State government of North Rhine-Westphalia, June 26, 2016, accessed on February 22, 2020 .