While Windows 95 was being marketed, efforts were made to equip Windows 3.x with a modern user interface. In 1997 the first version of Calmira appeared. Like its start menu, this program is similar to the Windows 95 user interface. It is managed entirely via initialization files (instead of entries in the system registry ); most settings can be accessed directly via the Settings options . Calmira does not need to be installed, just a start entry in the "SYSTEM.INI" file in the system directory. When you start it for the first time, it imports the program groups and settings from the program manager if you wish. However, it can also be used in parallel with the program manager for test purposes without system integration.
Calmira can be further developed and translated with Delphi 1.0, it remains free.
Development began when the source code was first released in February 1997. In November 1998, it was renamed Calmira Online II.
The current version of Calmira is Calmira LFN 3.3, which, unlike earlier versions, now offers support (in the Calmira Explorer ) for long file names.
Calmira was and is still very popular with Windows 3.1x users.
Calmira Source Release - History
- Calmira Source Release (literally: source code release, here the name of the development line) 1.0 (February 1997)
- Calmira Source Release 2.0 (October 1997)
- Calmira Source Release 2.1 (February 1998)
- Calmira Source Release 2.2 (July 1998)
Calmira update - history
- Calmira English Edition Update 2.11 (April 1998)
- Calmira English Edition Update 2.12 (May 1998)
- Calmira Online II 3.11 update (May 2001)
- Calmira Online II 3.25 update (February 2002)
Calmira Online II - History
- Calmira Online II 3.0 (November 1998)
- Calmira Online II 3.01 (corrected version) (December 1998)
- Calmira Online II 3.1 Beta 1 (February 2000)
- Calmira Online II 3.1 (January 2001)
- Calmira Online II 3.12 (corrected version) (June 2001)
- Calmira Online II 3.2 Beta 1 (December 2001)
- Calmira Online II 3.2 (January 2002)
- Calmira Online II 3.3 (May 2002)
- Calmira Online II 3.31 (2003)
- Calmira LFN 3.3 (2005)
- Calmira LFN 3.31 (2006)
- Calmira LFN 3.32 (2006)
This version history comes from the official Calmira homepage and has been translated here.
Range of functions
- Icon-based file manager , similar to Windows Explorer from Windows 95
- Explorer window in a new window if necessary
- sophisticated drag and drop
- Files 4DOS compatible writable
- copy, move and delete files in the background
- own symbols for each file possible
- Desktop and Taskbar
- Available in several languages, including German
- Recycle bin , similar to Windows 95
- Start menu, similar to that of Windows 95
- own Calmira banner in the start menu, similar to that of Windows 95
- can be obtained by a script language to be changed
- 386 compatible processor or higher
- A VGA monitor or better
- Microsoft Windows 3.1x (for Workgroups), Windows NT 3.x (Server)
- DosLFN for long file names
- 2 MB hard disk space
- at least 4 MB RAM, 8 MB recommended
- at least 640 × 480 with 16 colors, 800 × 600 with 256 colors recommended
- a computer mouse or a comparable input device
Similar interfaces for older Windows versions
In addition to Calmira, other interfaces are known, of which at least the PC Tools provide an extensively configurable system interface with a taskbar and start menu. The program was further developed after 1995 by Symantec and sold as NT Tools, after which development was discontinued. Windows 95 and Windows 2000 and their successors are no longer officially supported.