In Germany buildings are in accordance with state building codes divided the individual states in building classes. The classification of a building in a building class is based on the height and area of the building. The division of the buildings into different building classes entails different requirements in terms of building material and component requirements. In general, the higher the building class, the stricter the requirements for the fire resistance of the components.
The building classes are regulated in each federal state in the respective state building regulations. With a few exceptions, the definition of the building classes is the same as that in Section 2 of the Model Building Regulations. The division into building classes is a central tool of building regulations. It must not be deviated from in the course of creating a fire protection concept.
Building classes according to the model building regulations
- Building class 1
- 1a ) free-standing buildings with a height of up to 7 m and no more than two usage units of no more than 400 m² in total
- 1b ) free-standing buildings used for agriculture or forestry
- Building class 2 ) Buildings with a height of up to 7 m and no more than two usage units of no more than 400 m² in total
- Building class 3 ) other buildings with a height of up to 7 m
- Building class 4 ) Buildings with a height of up to 13 m and usage units of no more than 400 m² each
- Building class 5 ) other buildings including underground buildings
The height specifications in the following building classes of the model building regulations refer to the height of the upper floor edge of the highest floor on which a lounge is possible, based on the middle ground level.
The floor area of the usage units within the meaning of this law is the gross floor area; When calculating the gross floor area according to sentence 1, areas in basement floors are not taken into account.
Special features of the countries
If an auxiliary building is attached to a building of building class 1, the building class does not change if the auxiliary building does not require a permit in accordance with Section 61 (1) number 1 letter c or letter d.
Attached small garages and subordinate buildings for parking purposes that comply with a limit distance of 2.50 m do not change the freestanding property in sentence 1 no.1.
- State building regulations for Baden-Württemberg. Ministry of Economics, Labor and Housing Baden-Württemberg, November 21, 2017, accessed on February 8, 2019 .
- Bavarian building regulations. Bavarian State Ministry for Housing, Building and Transport, September 1, 2018, accessed on February 8, 2019 .
- Berlin building regulations. Senate Department for Urban Development and Housing, April 20, 2018, accessed on February 8, 2019 .
- Brandenburg Building Regulations (BbgBO). Ministry of Infrastructure and Regional Planning, November 15, 2018, accessed on February 8, 2019 .
- Bremen building regulations. (PDF) September 4, 2018, accessed February 8, 2019 .
- Hamburg Building Regulations (HBauO). Authority for Urban Development and Housing, November 26, 2018, accessed on February 8, 2019 .
- Hessian Building Authority (HBO). (PDF) Hessian Ministry for Economic Affairs, Energy, Transport and Regional Development, July 7, 2018, accessed on August 2, 2019 .
- State Building Regulations Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania (LBauO MV). Ministry of Energy, Infrastructure and Digitization, July 5, 2018, accessed February 8, 2019 .
- Lower Saxony building regulations (NBauO). Lower Saxony Ministry for the Environment, Energy, Building and Climate Protection, September 12, 2018, accessed on February 8, 2019 .
- Building regulations for the state of North Rhine-Westphalia (BauO NRW). Ministry for Home, Local Affairs, Building and Equality of the State of North Rhine-Westphalia, July 21, 2018, accessed on February 28, 2019 .
- State building regulations Rhineland-Palatinate (LBauO). Ministry of Finance, June 15, 2015, accessed February 8, 2019 .
- State building regulations (LBO) Saarland. (PDF) Ministry of the Interior, Building and Sport, June 13, 2018, accessed on February 8, 2019 .
- Saxon building regulations. State Ministry of the Interior, December 11, 2018, accessed February 8, 2019 .
- Building regulations of the state of Saxony-Anhalt (BauO LSA). Ministry of Regional Development and Transport, July 26, 2018, accessed February 8, 2019 .
- State building regulations for the state of Schleswig-Holstein (LBO). (PDF) Ministry of Economy, Transport, Labor, Technology and Tourism, June 10, 2016, accessed on February 8, 2019 .
- Thüringer Building Code (ThürBO). Thuringian Ministry of Infrastructure and Agriculture, December 18, 2018, accessed on February 8, 2019 .
- Building Regulations (MBO). (PDF) Conference of Ministers of Construction, September 21, 2012, accessed on February 8, 2019 .