As consumers (consumers) is referred to in the ecology heterotrophic organisms. Unlike autotrophic producers (z. B. photosynthesis operated plants ) they are not able to get their food from inorganic to gain raw materials. They therefore consume the biomass of other living things .
One differentiates in ecosystems
- Producers: They form the basis for every ecosystem and serve the herbivorous animals as a food source
- Primary or first-order consumers: ( herbivores herbivores) and saprophages
- Secondary consumers or second-order consumers: ( carnivore carnivores)
- Tertiary or third-order consumers: Carnivores that feed on carnivores
- Quaternary consumers: Even larger carnivores, which feed on the tertiary consumers, can also feed on the secondary consumers
- Quintary consumer: The human