In the context of project organization, the project management is the organizational body to which the operational control of a project is subject. The task of this organizational unit is primarily project management ; In smaller projects, the project manager is formed by the project manager ; in larger projects, he is in charge of a group of people and possibly also several sub- project managers . With modern organizational concepts, the project management of extensive projects consists of several project managers who make decisions based on consensus or according to predetermined guidelines and rules.
The German Association of Project Managers in the Construction and Real Estate Industry eV (DVP) (formerly: German Association of Project Controllers eV) has defined a performance profile for project management in a study on the performance profile and the remuneration of project management services.
The project management, in the sense of the DVP, is the assumption of non-delegable client functions.
Project management tasks
The main tasks of project management are:
- Definition of the project goals
- Planning the project
- Composition of the project team
- Steering, securing the flow of information and controlling the project (making appointments, coordinating collaboration with other specialist departments, determining responsibilities)
- Making decisions
- Administration of the budget (financing / securing liquidity, recording of all employee costs)
- Implementation of the necessary measures and execution of contracts
- Conduct negotiations
- Present project results and represent them with arguments
- Final report for client
- Documentation of the project
Project management resources
Some means of project management are e.g. B .:
- Cost and performance accounting
- Project folder
- Project calendar
- Meetings (briefings, meetings)
- Project management software