A Sendzimir stand is a multi-roll stand construction ( cluster mill ) for cold rolling , with which flat products can be rolled with particularly low tolerance and thin . It is named after its inventor Tadeusz Sendzimir , who applied for a patent for the basic principle in July 1935.
Based on a multi-roller mill developed by Wilhelm Rohn in 1930, in which the two work rolls are supported by four larger back-up rolls, which in turn are supported on six further, even larger back-up rolls (1-2-3 configuration) - a deflection of the work rolls is prevented by the rigidity of the larger back-up rolls - with today's Sendzimir mill, the work rolls and the four primary back-up rolls are only floating and the six secondary back-up rolls are again supported by eight additional groups of rolls with an even larger diameter (1-2-3-4 configuration). These rolls, which are arranged next to each other in the manner of rolls, are mounted on adjustable bearing blocks at short intervals, so that the deflection or support of the roll stack can be adapted to the rolling stock via these bearing blocks and the forces acting are not only absorbed by the rigidity of the rolls and the roll bearings in the stand . The floating mounting of the work and support rolls, which can be removed from the side of the stand, also significantly shortens the set-up times when changing rolls, which makes the operation of such a rolling mill particularly economical.
- Article "My Father the Inventor" by VANDA SENDZIMIR online (accessed April 12, 2010)
- Wiliam S. Robert: Cold Rolling Of Steel , Marcel Dekker Verlag New Yorg 1978, ISBN 0-8247-6780-2 , p. 37 online (accessed April 12, 2010)
- Patent US2169711 : Rolling Mill Adjustment. Filed June 16, 1935 , published August 15, 1939 , applicant: American Rolling Mill Co, inventor: Tadeusz Sendzimir (on adjustable roller bearings).
- Patent US2479974 : Design and construction of rolling mills. Applied on May 5, 1943 , published on August 23, 1949 , applicant: Armzen Company, inventor: Tadeusz Sendzimir, Eckert John E. (for 10-high stand with adjustable rolls).
- Patent DE554001 : Multi-roller rolling mill . Registered on June 30, 1930 , published July 4, 1932 , inventor: Dr. Wilhelm Rohn, Heraeus Vacuumschmelze AG (reference in the article "My Father the Inventor" by VANDA SENDZIMIR online ).