ViXra covers scientific and mathematical topics and is open to everyone. It accepts submitted articles without their authors having an academic connection or the articles themselves being subject to a quality check. The e-prints on viXra are divided into seven main categories: Physics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Biology, Chemistry, Studia Humanitatis and Others.
Gibbs' original motivation for establishing the archive was to provide for those researchers who believed their manuscripts had been unfairly rejected or demoted by the arXiv moderators.
One study found large differences between articles at arXiv and viXra. Articles at viXra are published much less often in specialist journals , are given less often as a source and have significantly more self-references.
One criticism of ViXra is that the site tries to imitate arXiv. In this context, it is spoken of an evil twin ("bad twin"). Other critics maintain that the works published there are of little relevance.
- What's arXiv spelled backwards? A new place to publish - Nature News Blog, 16 Jul 2009
- ViXra.org open e-Print archive . Retrieved August 22, 2011.
- Fledgling site challenges arXiv server . Physics World . July 15, 2009. Retrieved January 16, 2015.
- David Kelk, David Devine: A Scienceographic Comparison of Physics Papers from the arXiv and viXra Archives ( arxiv : 1211.1036 )
- Alessandro Delfanti: Fake Archives: Doppelgangers and the Search for Openness in Scholarly Communication Platforms. 2017.
- Kelk, D, Devine, D (2012) A scienceographic comparison of physics papers from the arXiv and viXra archives. arXiv preprint arXiv: 1211.1036.