Schmidt-Parzefall studied at the University of Göttingen and the University of Karlsruhe , where he received his doctorate in 1968 on a detection device in high-energy physics ( spark chambers evaluated with computers ). From 1970 he was at CERN with Klaus Winter , where he was involved in experiments at the ISR (Intersecting Storage Rings) and in the CHARM neutrino experiment. From 1977 he was at DESY , where he was involved in the DASP and ARGUS experiments at the electron-positron storage ring DORIS . From 1977 to 1980 he was the spokesman for DASP and from 1978 to 1990 he was the spokesman for the ARGUS collaboration. In 1990 he became a professor at the University of Hamburg , from 1991 as director of the 2nd Institute for Experimental Physics. Most recently he headed the Hera B group there. In 2003 he retired.
In 1987, the Argus collaboration (whose spokesperson was Schmidt-Parzefall) found evidence of a much higher top quark mass at Desy than previously thought (from the mixing parameters in the B meson system). Argus was thus a forerunner of the later B-meson factories BaBar and Belle . The Argus detector operated on Desy from 1982 to 1992.
In 1995 he received the Gentner-Kastler-Prize .
- DESY holds colloquium for Schmidt-Parzefall . In: Cern Courier . tape 44 , no. 1 , January 2004, p. 45 (English, cern.ch [PDF]).
- Frank Lehner: Inside Story: When ARGUS led to new physics . In: Cern Courier . tape 48 , no. January 1 , 2008 (English, cerncourier.com ).
- ARGUS Symposium: Twenty years of B meson mixing. 2007, archived from the original on March 1, 2012 (English).
- The CERN-Hamburg-Amsterdam-Rome-Moscow collaboration , cf. Archives of CHARM I and CHARM II Collaborations. Retrieved April 2, 2019 .
- The abbreviation stood for A Russian-German-United States-Swedish collaboration .
- Walter Schmidt-Parzefall: Hera B - a new experiment at Desy . In: Physical sheets . tape 53 , 1997, pp. 319 , doi : 10.1002 / phbl.19970530407 .
- Prize winners. DPG , accessed April 2, 2019 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German experimental physicist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 20, 1938|