William Gugi Waaka
Waaka served in the Air Force and left in the 1960s. His career began in the Auckland dance halls in the 1960s. He was a member of the bands Quin Tikis and Maori Volcanics and also toured Australia with them .
Together with his brother Nuki (1932–2011) he was formative for the Māori show bands in New Zealand.
- Death Notice & Guest Book Preview for Hore Wiremu Waaka , The New Zealand Herald (subscription access)
- Māori TV: Pillar of Māori entertainment William Gugi Waaka passes away. July 7, 2014; accessed January 26, 2015
- Waatea news: Showband veteran Gugi Waaka dies. July 7, 2014; accessed January 26, 2015
- Mahora Peters, James George: Showband !: Mahora and the Māori Volcanics. Huia Publishers, 2006, ISBN 1-869691-59-8 , p. 66 ( limited preview in Google book search).
- Tama Huata: Farewell to one of our icons . In: Waiata Magazine . No. 2, December 2011, p. 2. Accessed August 22, 2018.
|SURNAME||Waaka, William Gugi|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Waaka, Gugi; Waaka, Hore Wiremu (real name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||New Zealand guitarist and singer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1937 or 1938|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Whakatāne , New Zealand|
|DATE OF DEATH||5th July 2014|
|Place of death||Auckland , New Zealand|