A coalition of states spanning all continents tries to reduce the influence of the Islamic State Organization .
Germany wins the 2014 World Cup .
The Edathy affair triggers a government crisis in Germany and leads, among other things, to the resignation of Federal Agriculture Minister Hans-Peter Friedrich .
The Euromaidan protests and the subsequent Crimean crisis lead to diplomatic, political and economic turmoil between Russia on the one hand and Ukraine, the European Union , the United States and other western states on the other.
In the course of the crisis in Ukraine , demonstrations and occupations of buildings by pro-Russian separatists and supporters of federalization in oblasts in the east and south of the country lead to armed battles with troops of the Kiev central government.
|2014 in other calendars|
|From urbe condita||2767|
|- era||4710-4711 or
|- 60 year cycle|
- CCXXII CCXXIII
|- Vikram Sambat||2070-2071|
|- Shaka Samvat||1936-1937|
|- Nengō (era):||Heisei 26|
|- Dangun era||4347|
|- Juche era||103|
|Thai solar calendar||2557|
The year 2014 was international from the Ukraine crisis , the ongoing conflicts in the Middle East , exacerbated by the transnational occurrence of violent organization Islamic State , as well as the Ebola fever epidemic struck in West Africa. At the time, 2014 set a heat record in several Western and Central European countries, including Germany and Austria, and was generally the warmest year in Europe since weather records began. In Germany , the Edathy affair and the car toll planned for 2016 were an important topic, but also Germany's victory at the World Cup in Brazil .
Politics and world events
- January 1: Latvia becomes the 18th country to join the euro area .
- January 1st: Greece takes over the EU presidency for six months until June 30th.
- January 1st: Didier Burkhalter becomes Swiss President .
- January 31 to February 2: 50th Munich Security Conference
- February 2nd: Early parliamentary elections in Thailand
- 18./19. February: 17th European Police Congress in Berlin
- From February 7th: Edathy affair
- February 22: The Ukrainian parliament deposed President Viktor Yanukovych as a result of the Euromaidan protests .
- March 11: The Parliament of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea declares its independence from Ukraine .
- March 15: Presidential election in Slovakia
- March 16: Local elections in Bavaria
- March 20: The German Bundestag sets up the NSA committee of inquiry on behalf of all parliamentary groups .
- May 1st: Start of the driving license register (FAER) to replace the central traffic register (VZR)
- May 11: Presidential election in Lithuania (runoff on May 25, 2014)
- May 22: Military coup in Thailand
- 22-25 May: European elections
- May 25: Local elections in Baden-Württemberg, Brandenburg, Hamburg, North Rhine-Westphalia , Rhineland-Palatinate, Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, Saarland, Saxony, Saxony-Anhalt and Thuringia
- May 25th: Presidential election in Ukraine
- May 25th: Parliamentary election in Belgium
- 26./27. May: presidential election in Egypt
- June 8: Parliamentary elections in Kosovo
- June 10: Baltic Sea Council (CBSS) summit in Finland
- June 10: The Islamist organization ISIS conquers the northern Iraqi city of Mosul as part of a major offensive , which among other things results in the destruction of some historical sites.
- June 14: The G77 + China summit in ( Bolivia ) gives the South-South cooperation and emancipation from the Western world important impulses.
- July 1: Italy takes over the EU Council Presidency for six months.
- From July 8: Israel undertakes a military offensive, including a ground offensive, in the Gaza Strip from mid-July . As of August 25, 2014, more than 2,100 Palestinians were killed and more than ten thousand injured, most of them civilians, in heavy bombings and shelling.
- July 24: Reuven Rivlin succeeds Shimon Peres as the tenth President of Israel .
- August 3: The Islamic State perpetrates genocide against the Yazidis in Sinjar , Iraq .
- August 10: Recep Tayyip Erdoğan is elected 12th Turkish President in the first round of the presidential election in Turkey ; he will take office on August 28, 2014.
- August 15: The Islamic State committed a massacre of the Yazidi in Kocho . IS is killing the men from the village and kidnapping the women and children.
- August 26: Klaus Wowereit , the long-time Governing Mayor of Berlin , announced his resignation on December 11, 2014.
- August 31: State election in Saxony
- 4th to 5th September: NATO summit in Newport , UK
- September 14: Parliamentary election in Sweden
- September 14: State elections in Brandenburg and state elections in Thuringia
- September 18: Referendum on Scottish independence
- September 21: State election in Vorarlberg
- October 15: The number of refugees in Europe reaches its highest level since 1949.
- November 4: Mid-term election in the United States
- November 9th: Non-binding referendum on the political future of Catalonia
- 15.-16. November: Summit of the Group of the Twenty Most Developed and Emerging Countries (G-20) in Brisbane , Australia
- From November 24th: In connection with the death of Michael Brown and other deaths due to police violence, there are ongoing demonstrations in Ferguson (Missouri) and in numerous other locations in the USA.
- December 1: Donald Tusk becomes the new President of the European Council, succeeding Herman Van Rompuy .
- December 5th: With the election of Bodo Ramelow as Prime Minister of the State of Thuringia , a politician of the party Die Linke achieved this position for the first time .
- December 8th: A demonstration in Dresden by the citizens' movement PEGIDA, which has been active since October 2014, with around 10,000 participants, triggers a social discussion about this group and its supporters.
- December 13: The 20th UN Climate Change Conference in Lima, Peru, ends after being extended with vague, non-binding declarations of intent.
- December 17: Cuba and the United States announce the normalization of their relations, including the resumption of diplomatic relations between the two states.
- December 19: In response to a terrorist attack in Peshawar that killed 148 people, Pakistan lifted a moratorium on the death penalty for terrorist offenses and started executions of convicted terrorists; Subsequently, the government also decides to set up special military tribunals for suspected terrorists.
- December 31, 2014: Official end of the combat mission and (partial) withdrawal of the “ International Security Support Force ” from Afghanistan ; 13,500 soldiers from several countries will remain in Afghanistan.
- January 1st : Michael van Gerwen wins the PDC World Darts Championship
- 12-26 January: 11th European Men's Handball Championship in Denmark
- January 24th: Start of the second half of the season in the Bundesliga
- February 2: Super Bowl XLVIII at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford , New Jersey
- 7-23 February: Winter Olympics in Sochi
- February 25th to March 2nd: International Badminton Championships of Germany (German Open)
- 7-16 March: 2014 Paralympic Winter Games in Sochi
- May 4th: The Wings for Life World Run takes place for the first time
- May 14: Final of the 2013/14 UEFA Europa League at the Juventus Stadium in Turin
- May 17th: Men's DFB Cup final in Berlin and the women's DFB Cup final in Cologne
- May 22nd: 2013/14 UEFA Women's Champions League final at the Estádio do Restelo in Lisbon
- May 24: Final of the 2013/14 UEFA Champions League at the Estádio da Luz in Lisbon
- May 30th to June 1st: European Rowing Championships in Belgrade
- June 12th to July 13th: 20th World Cup in Brazil ; Germany wins .
- 5th - 27th July: Tour de France
- July 18: The German soccer player Philipp Lahm declares his resignation as a national player .
- 19. – 31. July: 30th European Under-19 Football Championship in Hungary ; Germany wins .
- August 11: The German soccer player Miroslav Klose declares his resignation as a national player .
- 12-17 August: European Athletics Championships in Zurich
- 13.-24. August: European Swimming Championships 2014 in Berlin
- August 15: The German soccer player Per Mertesacker declares his resignation as a national player .
- August 22: The 52nd season of the Bundesliga begins.
- 24.-31. August: World Rowing Championships on the Bosbaan in Amsterdam
- August 30th to September 21st: Men's volleyball world championship in Poland
- October 11th: The New York Lions from Braunschweig win the German Bowl XXXV
- 5th - 25th November: Magnus Carlsen successfully defends the title against Viswanathan Anand at the 2014 World Chess Championship .
- November 23rd: Lewis Hamilton becomes world champion in Formula 1 for the second time .
Culture and society
- January 31: Chinese New Year , 馬 Year of the Wood Horse (甲午jiǎwǔ 31)
- 6-16 February: 64th Berlin International Film Festival (Berlinale)
- March 2nd: Academy Awards at the Dolby Theater in Hollywood , Los Angeles , USA
- May 6th, 8th and 10th: 59th Eurovision Song Contest in Copenhagen , Denmark
- 6-8 June: 22nd Düsseldorf Jazz Rally in Düsseldorf
- 6-15 June: 54th Hessentag in Bensheim
- 7th-9th June: Rock am Ring on the Nürburgring near Adenau
- 20.-22. June: 11th Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania Day in Neustrelitz
- 20.-22. June: Hurricane Festival in Scheeßel
- 26.-29. June: 11th Fusion Festival in Lärz , MV
- 27.-29. June: North Rhine-Westphalia Day in Bielefeld
- 3rd-6th July: 24th TFF Rudolstadt in Rudolstadt
- 5th-6th July: 14th Brandenburg Day in Spremberg
- July 18 to September 28: 8th international exhibition for contemporary arts Dresden (Ostrale 014)
- 18.-20. July: 31st Rhineland-Palatinate Day in Neuwied
- 18.-20. July: 18th Saxony-Anhalt Day in Wernigerode
- 18.-20. July: 10. Tomorrowland in Boom , Belgium
- 23-27 July: Breminale - open air cultural festival in Bremen
- 25-27 July: The festival (open-air music festival) in Karlsruhe
- July 31 to August 2: 25th Wacken Open Air in Wacken
- 1st - 3rd August: 38th Bardentreffen (open-air music festival) in Nuremberg
- 22.-31. August: 292nd Rudolstadt bird shooting in Rudolstadt
- 5th-7th September: 23rd Day of the Saxons in Grossenhain
- September 20th: 10th Bundesvision Song Contest in Göttingen
- September 21 to October 5: Oktoberfest in Munich
- 8-12 October: Frankfurt Book Fair ; Host country: Finland
- November 3: In New York City that is One World Trade Center opened.
- December 13: With the 215th edition, the 33-year history of Wetten dass ..? , Europe's largest television show.
- April 20: Easter
- April 27: Canonization of Popes John XXIII. and John Paul II in Rome
- May 14: Vesakh
- May 28th to June 1st: 99th German Catholic Day in Regensburg
- May 29th: Ascension Day
- 6-8 June: International Church Day of the New Apostolic Church in Munich
- June 8th: Pentecost
- June 28th to July 28th: Ramadan
- October 4th: Yom Kippur
- October 4th: Islamic Festival of Sacrifice
- October 23: Diwali
- December 17th: Hanukkah
- December 22nd: In a Christmas address, Pope Francis criticized the grievances in the Curia in an unusually sharp manner .
- January 10: The Catholic publishing group Weltbild applies for insolvency proceedings to be opened.
- 17.-26. January: International Green Week Berlin
- 22-25 January: World Economic Forum in Davos ( Switzerland )
- January: The US company Chrysler is fully taken over by the Italian company Fiat SpA .
- February 19: The US company Facebook buys the US company WhatsApp .
- 10-14 March: CeBIT ; Information technology fair in Hanover
- 7-11 April: Hanover Fair
- 20th - 25th May: ILA Berlin Air Show
- May 31–8. June: Auto Mobil International (AMI) in Leipzig
- August: The US company Burger King takes over the Canadian company Tim Hortons .
- 14.-17. August: Gamescom in Cologne
- 5th – 10th September: International radio exhibition in Berlin
- September 23: New 10 euro banknotes launched in the euro area
- September 25 to October 2: 65th IAA Commercial Vehicles in Hanover
- October 3: After the approval of the EU Commission for the merger of the US company Chiquita Brands International and the Irish company Fyffes , the world's largest banana trader is created.
- October 6: The media group Bertelsmann announces the complete takeover of the printing and publishing house Gruner + Jahr .
- November 4: The European Central Bank takes over the uniform banking supervision of the big banks in the Eurozone .
- December 5: The last vehicle is assembled at the Opel plant in Bochum before the plant is closed.
- December 6th: At an extraordinary general meeting, the ADAC decides to separate its economic activities from the association's tasks; u. a. the establishment of a stock corporation and a foundation is planned for this purpose.
- December 22nd: The first long-haul, wide-body Airbus A350 is delivered to Qatar Airways .
- December: The EU announces the introduction of beneficial owner registers of companies and the UK announces in April 2015 that taxes will be levied on diverted profits . Before that, the Luxembourg leaks sparked a discussion about tax avoidance by global corporations.
science and technology
- From January onwards, only the electronic health card (eGK) is officially the only valid patient insurance certificate in Germany . However, as part of an unlimited transitional arrangement, the old health insurance cards can still be scanned.
- On August 13, the Iranian mathematician Maryam Mirzakhani became the first woman to receive the highest honor for mathematicians, the Fields Medal .
- May: The Rosetta probe approaches its target comet 67P for the first time .
- August: The Rosetta probe maps target comet 67P at close range for the first time.
- November 12: The Philae lander, launched by the Rosetta probe on comet 67P , is the first spacecraft to land on a comet.
- December: Launch of Orion Multi-Purpose Crew Vehicle under the flight EFT-1 of the NASA
- From the middle of the year the Ebola virus spread in West Africa and assumed epidemic proportions . On August 8, the Ebola epidemic in West Africa is declared an international health emergency by the WHO ; assuming a high number of unreported cases, the death toll had reached 7905 by December 28, 2014.
- January: Cold spell in North America
- January: Extreme rainfall in Bolivia
- January and February: California drought
- January and February: severe weather in southern Europe
- February: Floods in England (from December 2013)
- February: Storm surge on the European Atlantic coast
- Earthquake off Iquique , Chile April 1:
- Landslides caused by two mudslides in the Afghan province of Badachschan may kill more than 2,100 people. May 2:
- 11-19 May: The Yvette in the Balkans claims several human lives and causes severe damage in south-east and east-central Europe.
- storm at Whitsun , several people are killed in Germany and there is high property damage , especially in North Rhine-Westphalia . June 9: In an unusually strong
- Yunnan Province . August 3: More than 400 people are killed in an earthquake in southern China's
- November: If it rains continuously in Ticino , 4 people are killed in several landslides. Several are injured. The Magadino plain was partly under water for several days.
- Malaysia Airlines plane with 239 people on board disappears without a trace in the Indian Ocean . In mid-2015, wreckage from the machine was washed up on the beach on Reunion Island . March 8: A
- April 16: The Sewol ferry capsizes and sinks off the southwest coast of South Korea . 174 of the 476 people on board could be saved.
- May 13: More than 300 miners die in a mining accident in Soma , western Turkey . A residential building collapsed in North Korea , and hundreds of people are believed to have been killed.
- July 17: A Malaysia Airlines plane with 298 people on board crashes over eastern Ukraine near the Russian border.
- September 10th: A refugee boat is deliberately rammed by people smugglers en route from Damiette in Egypt to Malta . Around 500 people are killed.
- September 14: A refugee boat sinks off the Libyan coast. 164 people drown.
- December 28: An Indonesia AirAsia plane with 162 people on board had an accident over the Karimata Strait off the coast of Borneo ; there are no survivors.
- Physiology or medicine : John O'Keefe , May-Britt Moser and Edvard Moser “for the discovery of cells that form a positioning system in the brain”.
- Physics : Isamu Akasaki , Hiroshi Amano and Shuji Nakamura "for the invention of efficient, blue-light emitting diodes that made bright and energy-saving white light sources possible".
- Chemistry : Eric Betzig , Stefan Hell and William Moerner "for the development of super-resolution fluorescence microscopy ".
- Literature : Patrick Modiano "for the art of memory with which he evoked the most intangible human destinies and the lifeworld of the occupation".
- Peace : Kailash Satyarthi and Malala Yousafzai “for their fight against the oppression of children and young people and for the right of all children to education”.
- Alfred Nobel Memorial Prize for Economics : Jean Tirole “for his analysis of the power and regulation of markets”.
(for annually recurring days: see → List of commemorative and action days )
- See also: Literature Memorial Days
- January 6th : 100th birthday of the German art collector Heinz Berggruen
- January 28 : 1,200. Anniversary of the death of Emperor Charlemagne
- January 29 : 200th anniversary of the death of the German philosopher Johann Gottlieb Fichte
- 29./30. January: 125th anniversary of the death of Crown Prince Rudolf ( Austro-Hungarian heir to the throne) and his lover Mary Vetsera in Mayerling Castle
- January 30th : 100th birthday of the German composer Franz Josef Breuer
- February 4th : 100th birthday of the German writer Alfred Andersch
- February 14 : 1000th anniversary of Henry II's coronation as emperor in Rome
- March 6th : 300th anniversary of the signing of the Rastatt Peace
- March 12 : 100th anniversary of the death of American inventor George Westinghouse
- April 2nd : 100th birthday of British actor Alec Guinness
- April 7th : 400th anniversary of the death of the painter El Greco
- April 15 : 250th anniversary of Madame de Pompadour's death
- April 20 : 700th anniversary of the death of Pope Clement V.
- April 21 : 150th birthday of the German economist and sociologist Max Weber
- May 2 : 150th anniversary of the death of the German composer Giacomo Meyerbeer
- May 7th : 60th anniversary of the Battle of Điện Biên Phủ
- May 20th : 250th birthday of the graphic artist and sculptor Johann Gottfried Schadow
- May 24th : 100th birthday of German actress Lilli Palmer
- June 8th : 300th anniversary of the death of Sophie von der Pfalz
- June 21 : 100th anniversary of the death of the Austrian Nobel Peace Prize laureate Bertha von Suttner
- June 28 : 100th anniversary of the Sarajevo attack
- July 2nd : 300th birthday of the German composer Christoph Willibald Gluck
- July 27 : 800th anniversary of the Battle of Bouvines
- July 28 : 100th anniversary of the beginning of World War I.
- July 31 : 100th birthday of the French actor Louis de Funès
- August 1st : 70th anniversary of the start of the Warsaw Uprising
- August 12th : 300th anniversary of the death of Queen Anne Stuart . The House of Stuart ends on the British royal throne. The personal union between Great Britain and Hanover begins.
- August 19 : 2000th anniversary of the death of the Roman emperor Augustus
- August 20 : 100th anniversary of the death of Pope Pius X.
- August 24 : 200th anniversary of the Battle of Bladensburg and the British capture of Washington
- August 27 : 100th birthday of the German actress Heidi Kabel
- August 31 : 150th anniversary of the death of the German politician Ferdinand Lassalle
- September 1 : 75th anniversary of the start of World War II
- September 7th : 300th anniversary of the signing of the Peace of Baden
- September 9th : 1800th birthday of the Roman emperor Aurelian
- September 18 : 200th anniversary of the beginning of the Congress of Vienna (until June 9, 1815)
- September 26 : 100th anniversary of the death of the German painter August Macke
- November 5th : 600th anniversary of the beginning of the Council of Constance
- November 5th : 100th anniversary of the death of the German biologist August Weismann
- November 6 : 200th birthday of the instrument maker Adolphe Sax
- November 9th : 25th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall
- November 24th : 150th birthday of the French painter Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec
- November 28 : 100th anniversary of the death of the German chemist and physicist Johann Wilhelm Hittorf
- December 14 : 100th birthday of the German politician Karl Carstens
- December 24th : 200th anniversary of the Peace of Ghent
- December 26th : 10th anniversary of the severe tsunami in the Indian Ocean
- December 31 : 500th birthday of the anatomist Andreas Vesalius
- 300th anniversary of the introduction of the Fahrenheit scale by Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit from Gdansk
- Annular solar eclipse on April 29th ; visible in eastern Antarctica.
- Partial solar eclipse on October 23 ; visible in North America.
- The Comet C / 2013 A1 (Siding Spring) missing on October 19, just a collision with Mars .
Weather / climate
see also list of weather events in Europe
From a global perspective, 2014 was the hottest year in some countries (e.g. Germany, Austria, France, Great Britain, Sweden) since NOAA weather records began in 1880. The average temperature over land and seas was 14.6 degrees Celsius ( 0.69 degrees Celsius higher than the mean temperature of the 20th century, 13.9 degrees Celsius). This was announced by the NOAA ( National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration , a US agency). Nine of the ten warmest years globally since 1880 are therefore in the 21st century. There is no sign of a trend reversal in global warming . In Germany, the mean temperature was in double digits for the first time (10.3 degrees Celsius).
- Science Year 2014 - The Digital Society
- International Year of Family Farming ( UN )
- International Year of Crystallography ( UN )
- International Year of Small Island Developing Countries ( UN )
- The green woodpecker ( Picus viridis ) is bird of the year ( Naturschutzbund Deutschland NABU)
- The swan flower ( Butomus umbellatus ) is flower of the year ( Loki Schmidt Foundation )
- The sessile oak ( Quercus petraea ) is tree of the year ( Dr. Silvius Wodarz Foundation )
- The milkweed hawk ( Hyles euphorbiae ) is butterfly of the year ( Bund für Umwelt und Naturschutz Deutschland BUND)
- The leafless avid beard ( Epipogium aphyllum ) is Orchid of the Year ( Arbeitskreis Heimische Orchideen AHO)
- The sturgeon (Acipenseridae) is fish of the year ( Deutscher Angelfischerverband DAFV)
- February 20th : Leonore of Sweden , Swedish princess
- December 10 : Gabriella of Monaco and Hereditary Prince Jacques of Monaco
For the detailed list of the deceased see Nekrolog 2014 .
- January 2 : Thomas Kurzhals , German composer and musician (* 1953 )
- January 3 : Phil Everly , American singer and musician (* 1939 )
- January 5 : Eusébio , Portuguese football player (* 1942 )
- January 5th : Nelson Ned , Brazilian singer-songwriter (* 1947 )
- January 6 : Karlheinz Küting , German business economist and university professor (* 1944 )
- January 9 : Amiri Baraka , American poet and writer (* 1934 )
- January 9 : Winfried Hassemer , German constitutional judge (* 1940 )
- January 9 : Marc Yor , French mathematician (* 1949 )
- January 10th : Sam Berns , progeria sufferer (* 1996 )
- January 11th : Fritz Molden , Austrian publisher (* 1924 )
- January 11 : Ariel Sharon , Israeli general and politician (* 1928 )
- January 11th : Hans Schroeder , German doll maker and player (* 1928 )
- January 13 : Joachim Nowotny , German writer (* 1933 )
- January 20 : Claudio Abbado , Italian conductor (* 1933 )
- January 22nd : Fred Bertelmann , German pop singer and actor (* 1925 )
- January 22nd : Patrick Brooking , British officer (* 1937 )
- January 25 : Kurt Krenn , Austrian bishop (* 1936 )
- January 26 : José Emilio Pacheco , Mexican writer (* 1939 )
- January 27 : Pete Seeger , American folk musician (* 1919 )
- February 1 : Luis Aragonés , Spanish football player and coach (* 1938 )
- February 1 : Prospero Nale Arellano , Philippine bishop-prelate (* 1937 )
- February 1 : Maximilian Schell , Austrian actor and director (* 1930 )
- February 2 : Gerd Albrecht , German conductor (* 1935 )
- February 2 : Philip Seymour Hoffman , American actor (* 1967 )
- February 4th : Mario Benusiglio , Italian racing driver (* 1950 )
- February 4 : Hubert Luthe , German bishop (* 1927 )
- February 5 : Robert Alan Dahl , American political scientist (* 1915 )
- February 10 : Stuart Hall , British sociologist (* 1932 )
- February 10 : Shirley Temple , American actress (* 1928 )
- February 11 : Alice Babs , Swedish singer and actress (* 1924 )
- February 12 : Josef Röhrig , German football player (* 1925 )
- February 13 : Georg Huntemann , German Protestant theologian and university lecturer (* 1929 )
- February 14th : Tom Finney , English soccer player (* 1922 )
- February 17th : Peter Florin , German politician (* 1921 )
- February 18 : Simón Díaz , Venezuelan composer and singer, comedian, actor and television presenter (* 1928 )
- February 18 : Hermann Rieger , German physiotherapist (* 1941 )
- February 23 : Alice Herz-Sommer , Israeli pianist and Holocaust survivor (* 1903 )
- February 24 : Ute Brinckmann-Schmolling , German graphic artist and painter (* 1924 )
- February 24 : Harold Ramis , American actor and film director (* 1944 )
- February 24 : Günter Reisch , German film director and screenwriter (* 1927 )
- February 25 : Paco de Lucía , Spanish guitarist (* 1947 )
- February 28 : Inge Schulz , German actress, radio play and voice actor (* 1923 )
- March 1 : Alain Resnais , French film director (* 1922 )
- March 4 : Fritz Marquardt , German theater director and actor (* 1928 )
- March 6 : Jim Jeffords , American racing car driver (* 1926 )
- March 8 : Gerard Mortier , Belgian artistic director and festival director (* 1943 )
- March 8 : Justus Pfaue , German writer and screenwriter (* 1942 )
- March 10 : Ivan Gams , Yugoslav and Slovenian geographer and university lecturer (* 1923 )
- March 11 : Ken Russell , American football player (born 1935 )
- March 13 : Reubin O'Donovan Askew , American politician (* 1928 )
- March 13 : Ahmad Tejan Kabbah , Sierra Leonean President (* 1932 )
- March 14th : Tony Benn , British politician (* 1925 )
- March 14 : Werner Rackwitz , German opera director and cultural politician (* 1929 )
- March 17th : Mareike Carrière , German actress (* 1954 )
- March 19 : Hilderaldo Bellini , Brazilian soccer player (* 1930 )
- March 21 : Moritz-Casimir zu Bentheim-Tecklenburg , German forestry graduate and entrepreneur (* 1923 )
- March 21 : James Rebhorn , American actor (* 1948 )
- March 22nd : Friedl Hofbauer , Austrian poet and author of young adult books (* 1924 )
- March 23 : Adolfo Suárez , Spanish politician (* 1932 )
- March 26 : Karl Otmar von Aretin , German historian (* 1923 )
- March 27 : James R. Schlesinger , American politician (* 1929 )
- March 30th : Karl Walter Diess , Austrian actor (* 1928 )
- March 31 : Frankie Knuckles , American DJ and musician (* 1955 )
- April 1 : Jacques Le Goff , French historian (* 1924 )
- April 2 : Urs Widmer , Swiss writer (* 1938 )
- April 4 : İsmet Atlı , Turkish wrestler (* 1931 )
- April 4 : Anja Niedringhaus , German photojournalist and war correspondent (* 1965 )
- April 6 : Mickey Rooney , American actor (* 1920 )
- April 8 : Karlheinz Deschner , German writer, religion and church critic (* 1924 )
- April 10 : Sue Townsend , British writer (* 1946 )
- April 14 : Ekkehard Böhmer , German television director (* 1929 )
- April 16 : Peter Schiff , German actor and voice actor (* 1923 )
- April 16 : Ernst Florian Winter , Austrian-American historian and political scientist (* 1923 )
- April 17 : Gabriel García Márquez , Colombian writer (* 1927 )
- April 17th : Karl Meiler , German tennis player (* 1949 )
- April 20 : Rubin Carter , American boxer and civil rights activist (* 1937 )
- April 22 : Wieland Schmied , Austrian art historian and writer (* 1929 )
- April 23 : Michael Glawogger , Austrian filmmaker (* 1959 )
- April 24 : Hans Hollein , Austrian architect (* 1934 )
- April 24 : Tadeusz Różewicz , Polish writer (* 1921 )
- April 25 : Tito Vilanova , Spanish football player and coach (* 1968 )
- April 25 : Stefanie Zweig , German writer (* 1932 )
- April 27 : Friedel Münch , German motorcycle designer and manufacturer (* 1927 )
- April 27 : Winand Victor , German painter (* 1918 )
- April 29 : Bob Hoskins , British actor (born 1942 )
- May 1 : Heinz Schenk , German showmaster and actor (* 1924 )
- May 1st : Georg Stollenwerk , German soccer player and coach (* 1930 )
- May 3 : Gary Becker , American economist and Nobel Prize winner (* 1930 )
- May 6 : Cornelius Gurlitt , German art collector (* 1932 )
- May 12 : HR Giger , Swiss visual artist (* 1940 )
- May 13 : David Malet Armstrong , Australian philosopher (* 1926 )
- May 15 : Jean-Luc Dehaene , Belgian politician (* 1940 )
- May 16 : Rolf Boysen , German actor (* 1920 )
- May 17 : Gerald M. Edelman , American physician and Nobel Prize winner (* 1929 )
- May 18 : Dobrica Ćosić , Yugoslav-Serbian writer and statesman (* 1921 )
- May 18 : Hans-Peter Dürr , German physicist and essayist (* 1929 )
- May 18 : Gordon Willis , American cameraman (* 1931 )
- May 19 : Jack Brabham , Australian racing driver (* 1926 )
- May 19 : Lothar Domröse , German officer (* 1920 )
- May 21 : Digne Meller Marcovicz , German photographer and photojournalist (* 1934 )
- May 24th : Klaus Herm , German actor (* 1925 )
- May 25 : Wojciech Jaruzelski , Polish military and politician (* 1923 )
- May 27 : Helma Sanders-Brahms , German film director (* 1940 )
- May 28 : Maya Angelou , American writer and civil rights activist (* 1928 )
- May 29 : Karlheinz Böhm , Austrian actor and founder of the foundation (* 1928 )
- May 31 : Martha Hyer , American film actress (* 1924 )
- June 1 : Karlheinz Hackl , Austrian actor and theater director (* 1949 )
- June 4th : Joseph Befe Ateba , Cameroonian bishop (* 1962 )
- June 5 : Rolf Hachmann , German prehistorian (* 1917 )
- June 7 : Ruprecht Düll , German botanist (* 1931 )
- June 8 : Gloryette Clark , American film editor and screenwriter (* 1934 )
- June 9 : Reinhard Höppner , German politician and Prime Minister (* 1948 )
- June 9 : Rik Mayall , British actor and comedian (born 1958 )
- June 9 : Gerd Zacher , German composer and organist (* 1929 )
- June 11 : Ruby Dee , American actress (born 1922 )
- June 11 : Rafael Frühbeck de Burgos , Spanish conductor (* 1933 )
- June 12 : Frank Schirrmacher , German journalist and essayist (* 1959 )
- June 13 : Gyula Grosics , Hungarian football player (* 1926 )
- June 14 : Robert Lebeck , German photographer and photojournalist (* 1929 )
- June 15 : Casey Kasem , American radio presenter (* 1932 )
- June 15 : Daniel Keyes , American writer (* 1927 )
- June 18 : Horace Silver , American jazz musician and composer (* 1928 )
- June 20 : María Luisa Landín , Mexican singer (* 1921 )
- June 21 : Ghislaine Demonceau , French violinist (* 1921 )
- June 21 : Johannes Strassmann , German poker player (* 1985 )
- June 23 : Kurt Emil Hugo Arentz , German sculptor (* 1934 )
- June 24 : Eli Wallach , American actor (* 1915 )
- June 25 : Harry Arlt , German football player (* 1926 )
- June 25 : Ana María Matute , Spanish writer (* 1925 )
- June 27 : George Gilbert Ashwell , American biochemist (* 1916 )
- June 27 : Bobby Womack , American singer and songwriter (born 1944 )
- June 30 : Christian Führer , German Protestant pastor (* 1943 )
- June 30th : Paul Mazursky , American film director and actor (* 1930 )
- July 1 : Leszek Werner , Polish organist and music teacher (* 1937 )
- July 5 : Hans-Ulrich Wehler , German historian (* 1931 )
- July 7th : Horst Bollmann , German actor (* 1925 )
- July 7th : Alfredo Di Stéfano , Argentinian-Spanish soccer player and coach (* 1926 )
- July 7th : Eduard Shevardnadze , Soviet-Georgian politician (* 1928 )
- July 8 : Renato Capriles , Venezuelan musician and orchestra leader (* 1931 )
- July 10 : On Kawara , Japanese conceptual artist (* 1933 )
- July 11th : Charlie Haden , American jazz musician (* 1937 )
- July 11th : Horst Köbbert , German singer and presenter (* 1928 )
- July 11th : Tommy Ramone , American musician (born 1949 )
- July 13 : Nadine Gordimer , South African writer and Nobel Prize winner (* 1923 )
- July 13 : Lorin Maazel , American conductor and composer (* 1930 )
- July 13 : Gert Voss , German actor (* 1941 )
- July 16 : Karl Albrecht , German entrepreneur (* 1920 )
- July 16 : Manfred Wekwerth , German theater director and director (* 1929 )
- July 16 : Johnny Winter , American blues musician (* 1944 )
- July 17 : Otto Piene , German visual artist (* 1928 )
- July 17 : Elaine Stritch , American actress (born 1925 )
- July 18 : Dietmar Schönherr , Austrian actor and presenter (* 1926 )
- July 19 : Iring Fetscher , German political scientist and author (* 1922 )
- July 19 : James Garner , American actor (born 1928 )
- July 20 : Victor George Atiyeh , American politician (* 1923 )
- July 20 : Manfred Sexauer , German moderator (* 1930 )
- July 28 : Stanisław Manturzewski , Polish actor, screenwriter and director (* 1928 )
- July 30th : Harun Farocki , German filmmaker (* 1944 )
- July 30th : Manfred Roeder , German right-wing extremist (* 1929 )
- August 1 : Ernst Maria Lang , German architect and caricaturist (* 1916 )
- August 1 : Gert von Paczensky , German journalist and writer (* 1925 )
- August 2 : Barbara Prammer , Austrian politician and President of the National Council (* 1954 )
- August 5 : Elfriede Brüning , German writer (* 1910 )
- August 6 : Ralph Bryans , British motorcycle racer (* 1941 )
- August 10 : Günter Junghans , German actor (* 1941 )
- August 11 : Vladimir Beara , Yugoslav football player and coach (* 1928 )
- August 11 : Simon Leys , Belgian writer (* 1935 )
- August 11 : Robin Williams , American actor and comedian (* 1951 )
- August 12 : Lauren Bacall , American actress (born 1924 )
- August 13 : Kurt Tschenscher , German football referee (* 1928 )
- August 15 : Jan Ekier , Polish pianist, composer and music teacher (* 1913 )
- August 16 : Peter Scholl-Latour , German-French journalist and writer (* 1924 )
- August 17 : Wolfgang Leonhard , German historian and author (* 1921 )
- August 19 : Kåre Kolberg , Norwegian composer and organist (* 1936 )
- August 24 : Richard Attenborough , British actor and film director (born 1923 )
- August 27 : Benno Pludra , German writer (* 1925 )
- August 27 : Peret , Spanish singer and guitarist (* 1935 )
- August 31 : Jimi Jamison , American singer (* 1951 )
- August 31st : Jacques Grelley , French entrepreneur and racing car driver (* 1936 )
- September 1 : Ralf Bendix , German pop singer (* 1924 )
- September 1 : Gottfried John , German actor (* 1942 )
- September 4 : Wolfhart Pannenberg , German Protestant theologian (* 1928 )
- September 4 : Joan Rivers , American entertainer and presenter (* 1933 )
- September 4 : Dick Thompson , American racing driver (* 1920 )
- September 8 : Eberhard Schlotter , German painter and graphic artist (* 1921 )
- September 8 : Yaqui Núñez del Risco , Dominican journalist, television presenter and producer (* 1939 )
- September 10 : Richard Kiel , American actor (* 1939 )
- September 11th : Joachim Fuchsberger , German actor and entertainer (* 1927 )
- September 12 : Ian Paisley , Northern Irish politician (* 1926 )
- September 12 : Joe Sample , American jazz musician (* 1939 )
- September 12 : Herbert Vorgrimler , German Catholic theologian (* 1929 )
- September 16 : Ofelia Ramón , Venezuelan singer (* 1924 )
- September 17 : Wolfgang Held , German writer and screenwriter (* 1930 )
- September 18 : Kenny Wheeler , Canadian jazz musician (* 1930 )
- September 19 : Guntram Brattia , Austrian actor and theater director (* 1966 )
- September 20 : Anatoly Berezovoy , Soviet cosmonaut (* 1942 )
- September 20 : Polly Bergen , American actress and singer (* 1930 )
- September 20 : Hans-Dieter Dechent , German entrepreneur, racing team owner and automobile racing driver (* 1940 )
- September 20 : Anton Günther Herzog von Oldenburg , German head of the House of Oldenburg (* 1923 )
- September 23 : Gilles Latulippe , Canadian theater director, actor, director and playwright (* 1937 )
- September 24 : Christopher Hogwood , British harpsichordist and conductor (* 1941 )
- September 30 : Martin Lewis Perl , American physicist and Nobel Prize winner (* 1927 )
- October 2 : Heinz-Horst Deichmann , German entrepreneur (* 1926 )
- October 2 : M. Rainer Lepsius , German sociologist (* 1928 )
- October 3 : Peer Augustinski , German actor and voice actor (* 1940 )
- October 4 : Jean-Claude Duvalier , Haitian politician and President (* 1951 )
- October 5 : Andrea de Cesaris , Italian racing driver (* 1959 )
- October 6 : Feridun Buğeker , Turkish football player and architect (* 1933 )
- October 7 : Siegfried Lenz , German writer (* 1926 )
- October 9 : Udo Reiter , German radio journalist and director (* 1944 )
- October 14 : Marcello Argilli , Italian lawyer, journalist, writer, children's book author and comic author (* 1926 )
- October 15 : Marie Dubois , French actress (* 1937 )
- October 17 : Gero Bisanz , German soccer player and coach (* 1935 )
- October 20 : René Burri , Swiss photographer (* 1933 )
- October 21 : Gough Whitlam , Australian politician (* 1916 )
- October 23 : Alvin Stardust , British musician (* 1942 )
- October 24 : Victor Ash , British jazz clarinetist and saxophonist (* 1930 )
- October 25 : Jack Bruce , British musician (* 1943 )
- October 28 : Eberhard Prüter , German actor and voice actor (* 1945 )
- November 1 : Klaus Bölling , German publicist (* 1928 )
- November 2 : Hans Detlev Becker , German journalist (* 1921 )
- November 2 : Acker Bilk , British jazz musician (* 1929 )
- November 3 : Gordon Tullock , American economist (* 1922 )
- November 6th : Giampiero Biscaldi , Italian racing driver (* 1937 )
- November 6th : Manitas de Plata , French guitarist (* 1921 )
- November 8 : Hannes Hegen , German graphic artist and comic artist (* 1925 )
- November 11th : Carol Ann Susi , American film and stage actress (* 1952 )
- November 13 : Alexander Grothendieck , French mathematician (* 1928 )
- November 14 : Glen A. Larson , American television producer (born 1937 )
- November 16 : Serge Moscovici , French social psychologist (* 1925 )
- November 19 : Mike Nichols , American director (born 1931 )
- November 21 : Robert Richardson , British officer (* 1929 )
- November 22nd : Fiorenzo Angelini , Italian cardinal (* 1916 )
- November 24 : Viktor Tikhonov , Soviet ice hockey player and coach (* 1930 )
- November 26th : Helmut Arntzen , German literary scholar, essayist, aphorist and fable author (* 1931 )
- November 26th : Annemarie Düringer , Swiss actress (* 1925 )
- November 26 : Sabah , Lebanese singer and actress (* 1927 )
- November 27 : PD James , British writer (* 1920 )
- November 28 : Roberto Gómez Bolaños , Mexican actor and director (* 1929 )
- November 30th : Go Seigen , Sino-Japanese Go player (* 1914 )
- December 2 : Jean Béliveau , Canadian ice hockey player (* 1931 )
- December 3 : Ian McLagan , British musician (* 1945 )
- December 5th : Fabiola Mora y Aragón , Belgian Queen (* 1928 )
- December 6th : Ralph Baer , American game developer (* 1922 )
- December 7th : Ruth Glöss , German actress (* 1928 )
- December 7th : Marie Marcks , German cartoonist and author (* 1922 )
- December 9 : José Feghali , Brazilian pianist and music teacher (* 1961 )
- December 9 : Jorge María Mejía , Argentine Curia Cardinal (* 1923 )
- December 9 : Karl Otto Pöhl , German State Secretary and President of the Bundesbank (* 1929 )
- December 10 : Ralph Giordano , German journalist and writer (* 1923 )
- December 10 : Otto Pöggeler , German philosopher (* 1928 )
- December 11th : Giorgio Ardisson , Italian actor (* 1931 )
- December 13 : Ernst Albrecht , German politician and Prime Minister (* 1930 )
- December 13 : Claus Küchenmeister , German writer (* 1930 )
- December 13 : Roger Masson , French racing car driver and farmer (* 1923 )
- December 13 : Andreas Schockenhoff , German politician (* 1957 )
- December 16 : Karl-Heinz Kurras , German police officer and shooter (* 1927 )
- December 17th : Maurice Duverger , French lawyer and political scientist (* 1917 )
- December 17 : Fritz Rudolf Fries , German writer and translator (* 1935 )
- December 18 : Virna Lisi , Italian actress (* 1936 )
- December 19 : Arthur Gardner , American actor and film producer (born 1910 )
- December 21 : Udo Jürgens , Austrian singer and composer (* 1934 )
- December 21 : Billie Whitelaw , British actress (born 1932 )
- December 22nd : Joe Cocker , British singer (born 1944 )
- December 22nd : Fritz Sdunek , German amateur boxer and boxing trainer (* 1947 )
- December 24th : Buddy DeFranco , American jazz clarinetist (* 1923 )
- December 26 : Leo Tindemans , Belgian politician (* 1922 )
- December 27 : Tomaž Šalamun , Slovenian poet (* 1941 )
- December 29 : Hermann Weber , German historian (* 1928 )
- December 30th : Luise Rainer , German actress (* 1910 )
- December 31 : Edward Herrmann , American actor (* 1943 )
Gallery of the deceased
January 5: Eusébio (1968)
January 11: Ariel Sharon (2004)
January 20: Claudio Abbado (2012)
February 1: Luis Aragonés (2008)
February 1: Maximilian Schell (2011)
February 2: Philip Seymour Hoffman (2011)
February 10: Shirley Temple (1990)
February 18: Hermann Rieger (2008)
February 24: Harold Ramis (2009)
March 16: Mareike Carrière (2010)
March 23: Adolfo Suárez (1981)
April 6: Mickey Rooney (1986)
April 17: Gabriel García Márquez (2002)
April 25: Tito Vilanova (2012)
April 25: Stefanie Zweig (2012)
April 29: Bob Hoskins (2007)
May 12: HR Giger (2012)
May 25: Wojciech Jaruzelski (1968)
May 28: Maya Angelou (2000)
May 29: Karlheinz Böhm (2009)
June 9: Reinhard Höppner (2006)
June 11: Ruby Dee (2006)
June 12: Frank Schirrmacher (2007)
June 13: Gyula Grosics (2005)
June 25: Ana María Matute (2011)
June 27: Bobby Womack (2010)
June 30: Christian Führer (2009)
July 7: Eduard Shevardnadze (1997)
July 7: Alfredo Di Stéfano (1958)
July 11: Charlie Haden (2007)
July 13: Nadine Gordimer (2010)
July 13: Lorin Maazel (2003)
July 16: Johnny Winter (1990)
July 17th: Otto Piene (2009)
July 18: Dietmar Schönherr (2006)
July 19: James Garner (1987)
August 2: Barbara Prammer (2014)
August 11: Robin Williams (2011)
August 12: Lauren Bacall (1944)
August 16: Peter Scholl-Latour (2008)
August 24: Richard Attenborough (1983)
September 1: Gottfried John (2003)
September 4: Joan Rivers (2010)
September 10: Richard Kiel (2014)
September 11: Joachim Fuchsberger (2008)
October 3: Peer Augustinski (2009)
October 7: Siegfried Lenz (1969)
October 15: Marie Dubois (1972)
October 23: Alvin Stardust (1974)
October 25: Jack Bruce (1972)
November 2: Klaus Bölling (1980)
November 3: Gordon Tullock (2007)
November 5: Manitas de Plata (1968)
November 13: Alexander Grothendieck (1970)
November 24: Viktor Tikhonov (2010)
December 7th: Marie Marcks (2006)
December 9: Karl Otto Pöhl (1990)
December 10: Ralph Giordano (2008)
December 13: Ernst Albrecht (1988)
December 21: Udo Jürgens (2010)
December 22nd: Joe Cocker (2003)
December 22nd: Fritz Sdunek (2009)
December 30th: Luise Rainer (1937)
- https://de.statista.com/statistik/daten/studie/164050/umfrage/waermste-yahre-in-deutschland-nach-average /
- Marcel Leubecher: Germany is Europe's refugee home. In: welt.de. Die Welt , October 15, 2014, accessed on October 16, 2014 .
- US protests against police violence: Anger is growing. In: spiegel.de. Spiegel Online , December 6, 2014, accessed December 6, 2014 .
- Mission for 2015: Obama allows further combat missions in Afghanistan. In: spiegel.de. Spiegel Online, November 22, 2014, accessed November 23, 2014 .
- Bundesliga start 2014 on August 22nd. In: bundesliga.de. DFL , November 29, 2013, accessed November 6, 2014 .
- Landslide in Afghanistan: the number of deaths rises to over 2100. In: spiegel.de. Spiegel Online, May 3, 2014, accessed October 6, 2014 .
- Steffen Wurzel : Rain makes rescue work difficult. In: tagesschau.de. Tagesschau.de , August 4, 2004, archived from the original on August 5, 2014 ; accessed on October 7, 2014 .
- Malta boat sinking 'leaves 500 dead' - IOM . BBC, September 15, 2014, accessed November 2, 2018.
- Refugee boat sunk by smugglers? - Hundreds of victims . Evening newspaper, September 15, 2018, accessed on November 3, 2018
- Prize Announcement Dates. In: nobelprize.org. Nobel Foundation , accessed on October 6, 2014 .
- The Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine 2014. In: nobelprize.org. Nobel Foundation, October 6, 2014, accessed October 9, 2014 (English).
- Nina Weber: Nobel Prize for Medicine: The navigation system in the brain. In: spiegel.de. Spiegel Online, October 6, 2014, accessed October 6, 2014 .
- The Nobel Prize in Physics 2014. In: nobelprize.org. Nobel Foundation, October 7, 2014, accessed October 8, 2014 .
- The Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2014. In: nobelprize.org. Nobel Foundation, October 8, 2014, accessed October 8, 2014 .
- The Nobel Prize in Literature 2014. In: nobelprize.org. Nobel Foundation, October 9, 2014, accessed October 9, 2014 .
- The Nobel Peace Prize 2014. In: nobelprize.org. Nobel Foundation, October 10, 2014, accessed on October 10, 2014 .
- The Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel 2014. In: nobelprize.org. Nobel Foundation, October 13, 2014, accessed on October 13, 2014 .
- NOAA: Selected Significant Climate Events and Anomalies in 2014
- 2014 Earth's warmest year on record; [... Global oceans also record warm for 2014]
- 2014 brought the heat record In: sueddeutsche.de.
- German Weather Service: Klimawandel , www.dwd.de/presse
- UN Resolution A / RES / 66/222. (PDF; 17 kB) international year of family-run agriculture. December 22, 2011, accessed October 18, 2013 .
- UN Resolution A / RES / 66/284. (PDF; 541 kB) International Year of Crystallography. June 3, 2012, accessed October 18, 2013 .
- UN Resolution A / RES / 67/206. (PDF; 25 kB) International Year of Small Island Developing Countries. March 5, 2012, accessed October 18, 2013 .
- nabu.de: The green woodpecker bird of the year 2014
- Hamburg Nature Conservation Foundation: Flower of the Year 2014 ( Memento from January 11, 2014 in the Internet Archive )
- BUND NRW Nature Conservation Foundation: Butterfly of the Year 2014
- "Leafless Widerbeard" is Orchid of the Year 2014 article from October 19, 2013
- Fish of the year 2014: Sturgeon (Acipenser sturio) - Deutscher Angelfischerverband e. V. ( dafv.de [accessed on October 9, 2018]).