Donald Trump is sworn in as the 45th President of the United States of America .
Frank-Walter Steinmeier becomes the 12th Federal President of the Federal Republic of Germany and successor to Joachim Gauck .
Helmut Kohl dies at the age of 87 and is the first European to be honored with a European state ceremony.
22 people were killed and 116 injured in an attack on a concert in Manchester.
Top candidates in the National Council election in Austria at the elephant round on ORF .
The G20 summit takes place in Hamburg .
|2017 in other calendars|
|From urbe condita||2770|
|- era||4713-4714 or
|- 60 year cycle|
- CCXXV CCXXVI
|- Vikram Sambat||2073-2074|
|- Shaka Samvat||1939-1940|
|- Nengō (era):||Heisei 29|
|- Dangun era||4350|
|- Juche era||106|
|Thai solar calendar||2560|
The year 2017 began on a Sunday, Jan. 1 , and also ended on a Sunday, the 31 December . Internationally, the year was marked by the inauguration of Donald Trump as the 45th President of the United States of America and by several terrorist attacks in various cities and countries around the world. At the European level, the current exit process for the United Kingdom to leave the EU led to tough negotiations. For Germany, 2017 saw the arrival of Frank-Walter Steinmeier as the new Federal President , the resolution to introduce " marriage for all " in the German Bundestag, the G20 summit held in Hamburg and the initially unsuccessful attempt to form a government after the Bundestag election in September embossed. In Austria, the 2017 first coined the swearing-in of Alexander Van der Bellen as President and then early parliamentary elections and the swearing in of the new federal government short-I .
Politics and world events
- January 1: António Guterres becomes Secretary General of the United Nations .
- January 1: Malta takes over the EU Council Presidency .
- January 1: Austria takes over the presidency of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE).
- January 1: Doris Leuthard takes up the post of Swiss Federal President according to schedule .
- January 17th: The Federal Constitutional Court again rejects a ban on the NPD .
- January 17th: Antonio Tajani is elected President of the European Parliament to succeed Martin Schulz .
- January 20: Inauguration of Donald Trump as the 45th President of the United States
- January 21: Women's March on Washington
- January 21: We're sick of it! - Demonstration on the occasion of the International Green Week in Berlin
- January 26th: Alexander Van der Bellen is sworn in as the Austrian Federal President .
- since January 31: protests in Romania 2017
- February 5: State election in Liechtenstein
- February 12: Election of Frank-Walter Steinmeier as German Federal President
- 17th-19th February: Munich Security Conference
- 21./22. February: 20th European Police Congress in Berlin
- March 2: Early elections in Northern Ireland
- March 9th: Against the opposition of Poland, Donald Tusk is confirmed for another term as President of the European Council .
- March 10: South Korean President Park Geun-hye is removed from office by the Constitutional Court due to a corruption scandal. The decision was preceded by weeks of popular demonstrations and Park's suspension.
- March 15th: Parliamentary election in the Netherlands
- March 19: Martin Schulz is elected chairman and candidate for chancellor of the SPD for the 2017 federal election without dissenting votes at an SPD party conference .
- March 25: Celebration of 60 years of the Treaty of Rome in Rome
- March 26: State election in Saarland
- March 29: Declaration of the United Kingdom's withdrawal from the European Union under Article 50
- April 2nd: Presidential election in Serbia
- April 7th: During the civil war in Syria , the United States carried out an illegal air attack on the asch-Schaʿirat military airfield .
- April 16: Due to the controversial result of a constitutional referendum , the future powers of the president in Turkey are substantially expanded .
- April 22: March for Science in Washington, DC
- April 23rd and May 7th: French presidential election . In the runoff election, Emmanuel Macron prevails against Marine Le Pen .
- 26.-29. April: 30th ASEAN Summit in Metro Manila , Philippines
- May 7th: State election in Schleswig-Holstein
- May 9: Presidential election in South Korea
- May 14: State election in North Rhine-Westphalia
- May 19: Presidential election in Iran
- 24./25. May: NATO summit in Brussels
- 26./27. May: G7 summit in Taormina , Italy
- June 1: US President Donald Trump announces the United States' withdrawal from the Paris climate protection agreement .
- June 5: Montenegro becomes the 29th member of NATO .
- 7th / 8th June: Summit of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization in Astana , Kazakhstan
- June 8: early general election in the UK
- June 11th and 18th: General election in France
- June 22nd: The men convicted in the Federal Republic of Germany according to the former criminal law paragraph 175 are rehabilitated by the annulment of the sentences by the Bundestag .
- June 30th: The German Bundestag decides to introduce “ marriage for all ”.
- July 1: Estonia takes over the EU Council Presidency .
- 7th / 8th July: G20 summit in Hamburg
- July 9: Closing rally of the Justice March in Turkey
- July 17th: Presidential election in India
- August 12th: Hemp Parade in Berlin
- September 3: nuclear test in North Korea ; the following month the Nobel Prize for Peace is awarded to the International Campaign for the Abolition of Nuclear Weapons .
- September 11th: General election in Norway
- September 24: General election in Germany
- September 25: Independence referendum in Iraqi Kurdistan
- October 1st: independence referendum in Catalonia ; around 900 people are injured, mostly through police violence.
- October 15: early parliamentary elections in Austria ; In the run-up to the election, the so-called " Silberstein Affair " occurs.
- October 15: Early state elections in Lower Saxony ; After the election, the SPD and CDU agree to form a grand coalition .
- 18.-24. October: 19th Congress of the Communist Party of China in Beijing
- 20./21. October: Parliamentary elections in the Czech Republic . The ANO party of the entrepreneur Andrej Babiš received the most votes.
- October: Opening of more than 2,800 (but not all) of the files previously kept under lock and key relating to the assassination of US President John F. Kennedy ( assassination attempt on John F. Kennedy )
- 27./28. October: As part of the Catalonia crisis , the Catalan regional government is declared deposed by the Spanish central government and the central government announces new elections to the Catalan regional parliament for December 21, 2017.
- 6-17 November: UN climate conference in Bonn
- 10/11 November: 29th Summit of the Asia-Pacific Economic Community (APEC) in Da Nang , Vietnam
- 13./14. November: 31st ASEAN Summit in Pampanga , Philippines
- November 19: In Germany, exploratory talks lasting several weeks to form a “ Jamaica coalition ” fail .
- November 21: In Zimbabwe , long-time President Robert Mugabe resigns from office after a military coup against him a few days earlier .
- November 22: Ratko Mladić is sentenced to life imprisonment by the UN War Crimes Tribunal for genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity during the Bosnian war .
- December 6: Election of Alain Berset as Federal President in Switzerland for the 2018 calendar year
- 11-14 December: 11th Ministerial Conference of the World Trade Organization (WTO) in Buenos Aires , Argentina
- December 12th: One Planet Summit near Paris
- December 12: Losing a seat in a by-election in Alabama reduces the majority of Republicans in the US Senate to one vote.
- 15./16. December: CSU party conference in Nuremberg with new elections for the party executive.
- December 18: The new Austrian Federal Government Kurz I is sworn in by Federal President Alexander Van der Bellen .
- December 20: The European Commission applies for criminal proceedings against Poland under Article 7 of the EU Treaty to be initiated.
- December 21: General election in Catalonia scheduled by the Spanish central government
- December 21: Following the declaration of Jerusalem as the Israeli capital by US President Trump on December 6, the General Assembly of the United Nations rejects any unilateral declaration of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel by a large majority .
- December 28: Protests with an economic and political background begin in Iran , which spread over the following days and claim several lives.
Terrorist attacks (selection)
- January 1: 39 people die and around 70 are injured in an attack in a nightclub in Istanbul .
- January 29: Six people die and seventeen are injured in an attack on an Islamic cultural center in Québec, Canada .
- March 22: In an attack in London , a lone perpetrator kills five people and injures 40 to 50.
- April 3: A suicide bomber kills 14 people and injures around 50 in an attack in the Saint Petersburg metro .
- April 7th: A rejected asylum seeker kills four people and injures 15 in an attack in Stockholm .
- April 9: Attacks on two Coptic churches in Egypt kill more than 40 people and injure more than 120.
- April 15: More than 120 people are killed and more than 50 are injured in an attack on a refugee convoy in Syria near Aleppo .
- May 22nd: 22 people are killed and 116 injured in an attack in Manchester, UK .
- May 31: At least 150 people are killed and more than 400 injured in an attack in Kabul .
- June 3: Eight people are killed and around 50 injured in an attack in London .
- June 7: At least 17 people are killed and more than 40 injured in two attacks in Tehran .
- August 17: 14 people are killed and more than 130 injured in an attack in Barcelona .
- August 18: Two people are killed and ten injured in a knife attack in Turku , Finland .
- September 15: 30 people are injured in an attack on a London Underground .
- October 14: At least 358 people are killed and more than 200 injured in an attack in the Somali capital Mogadishu .
- November 24: At least 305 people are killed and around 130 injured during Friday prayers in an attack in the north of the Egyptian Sinai Peninsula .
Other stops (selection)
- October 1: In a massacre in Las Vegas, USA, 58 people are shot dead by a single perpetrator and more than 520 are injured.
- November 5: 26 people are shot and 20 injured in a rampage in Sutherland Springs, Texas .
- January 2nd: Michael van Gerwen wins the PDC World Darts Championship .
- January 6th: Kamil Stoch wins the 65th Four Hills Tournament .
- 11-29 January: 25th men's handball world championship in France ; France becomes world champion .
- 16.-29. January: 105th Australian Open ; The winners in the singles are Serena Williams (women) and Roger Federer (men).
- February 5: Super Bowl LI in Houston , Texas ; The New England Patriots will win .
- February 5: Final of the 2017 African Cup of Nations ; Cameroon becomes African champion .
- 6-19 February: 44th Alpine World Ski Championships
- 8-19 February: 49th Biathlon World Championships
- March 26: Start of the 68th Formula 1 season
- 5th - 21st May: 81st men's ice hockey world championship (top division) in Paris and Cologne ; Sweden becomes world champion .
- May 20: Last matchday of the Bundesliga 2016/17 ; The German champions are FC Bayern Munich for the 5th time in a row .
- May 24: Manchester United beat Ajax Amsterdam in the final of the 46th UEFA Europa League in Solna , Sweden .
- May 27: Borussia Dortmund wins the 74th final of the men's DFB Cup in Berlin's Olympic Stadium ; in the women 's Cologne of VfL Wolfsburg successful.
- May 28th to June 11th: 116th French Open in Paris
- June 3: Real Madrid beat Juventus Turin in the 2016/17 UEFA Champions League final in Cardiff , Wales . Real Madrid are the first team to repeat their title win from the previous year.
- 16.-30. June: U-21 European Football Championship in Poland ; Germany becomes European champion .
- June 17 to July 2: 10th FIFA Confederations Cup in Russia ; Winner is the first time Germany .
- 1st - 23rd July: 104th Tour de France with Grand Départ in Düsseldorf
- 3rd-16th July: 131st Wimbledon Championships in London
- 14.-30. July: 17th Swimming World Championships in Budapest
- July 16 to August 6: 12th European Women's Football Championship in the Netherlands ; the team of the Netherlands wins .
- 18.-30. July: XXIII. Summer Deaflympics in Samsun , Turkey
- July 28th to August 6th: 11th Beach Volleyball World Championships in Vienna
- 4th - 13th August: 16th World Athletics Championships in London
- August 31 to September 17: 40th European Basketball Championship in four countries; Slovenia wins .
- September 13: The IOC selects Paris as the venue for the 2024 Summer Olympics and Los Angeles as the venue for 2028 .
- October 23: Cristiano Ronaldo named FIFA World Player of the Year 2017 , setting the record for most Lionel Messi awards with five awards.
- 1st - 17th December: Women's handball world championship in Germany
Culture and society
- January 11: Opening of the Elbphilharmonie in Hamburg
- January 28th: Chinese New Year, Year of the Fire Rooster (34th year in the 78th cycle)
- 9-19 February: Berlin International Film Festival (Berlinale)
- February 26: 89th Academy Awards in Los Angeles, United States
- March 17 to September 15: Mecklenburg-Vorpommern Festival at various venues in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- April 8 to July 16: Documenta 14 in Athens and June 10 to September 17 in Kassel
- April 13th to October 15th: International garden exhibition in the Marzahn recreation park in Berlin
- 6-7 May: Baden-Württemberg Day in Karlsruhe
- 9-13 May: 62nd Eurovision Song Contest in Kiev , Ukraine; Salvador Sobral from Portugal wins .
- 9-18 June: 57th Hessentag in Rüsselsheim am Main
- 9-11 June: 16th Thuringian Day in Apolda
- 10 June to 1 October: Sculpture.Projects in Münster
- 16.-18. June: 21st Saxony-Anhalt Day in Lutherstadt Eisleben
- June 21: Fête de la Musique in at least 500 cities around the world
- June 22nd to July 1st: WorldPride in Madrid
- 1st - 3rd September: 35th day of Lower Saxony in Wolfsburg
- 1st - 3rd September: 26th day of the Saxons in Löbau
- October 1: Same-sex marriage is legally established in Germany.
- October 3: “ Germany Festival ” on the Day of German Unity in Mainz
- October 10: The Federal Constitutional Court declares the regulation in the German Civil Status Act , according to which until now only a female or male gender entry was possible, to be incompatible with the Basic Law and obliges the legislature to “bring about a constitutional regulation by December 31, 2018”.
- January 7th: Orthodox Christmas
- January 23: Fernando Ocáriz Braña becomes the new prelate of Opus Dei .
- April 16: Easter , at the same time as the Orthodox Churches
- May 10: Vesakh
- 24.-28. May: 36th German Evangelical Church Congress in Berlin and in Lutherstadt Wittenberg
- May 25: Ascension Day
- May 27th to June 24th: Ramadan
- June 4th: Pentecost
- June 15: Corpus Christi
- September 1st: Islamic Festival of Sacrifice
- September 30: Yom Kippur 5778
- October 3: Open Mosque Day
- October 19: Diwali
- October 31: Reformation anniversary (500 years of church reformation ); This time the day of remembrance of the Reformation is a non-working holiday in all German countries .
- 13-20 December: Hanukkah
- December 25th: Christmas
Economy and Infrastructure
- 17th to 20th January: World Economic Forum in Davos , Switzerland
- 20.-29. January: International Green Week Berlin
- January 30th: Rüdiger Grube declares his resignation as CEO of Deutsche Bahn AG with immediate effect .
- March 6: The French Groupe PSA will take over Opel and Vauxhall Motors .
- 8-12 March: International Tourism Exchange Berlin
- 20th - 24th March: CeBIT in Hanover
- 23-26 March: Leipzig Book Fair
- 14.-29. April: Hanover Fair
- June 10: Expo 2017 opens in Astana , Kazakhstan
- June 15: In the EU there are no roaming charges for mobile phone use abroad.
- August: A Europe-wide food scandal surrounding chicken eggs contaminated with fipronil becomes known.
- 1-6 September: International radio exhibition in Berlin
- 14.-24. September: 67th International Motor Show for Passenger Cars in Frankfurt am Main
- 11-15 October: Frankfurt Book Fair
- October 27: The insolvent airline Air Berlin ceases operations; many of the 8,000 or so employees to date are likely to become unemployed.
- December 10: The commissioning of the new Ebensfeld-Erfurt railway line should lead to considerable reductions in travel times in north-south long-distance traffic in Germany.
science and technology
- May 5: First flight of the Comac C919 , the first twin-engine passenger aircraft developed entirely in China
- First hydrogen- powered train in regular service ( Alstom Coradia iLint , December)
Astronomy and astrophysics
- Penumbral eclipse ( lunar eclipse ) on February 11th
- Annular solar eclipse on February 26th ; visible in the southern Pacific and Atlantic, Patagonia and Angola
- Partial lunar eclipse on August 7th
- Total solar eclipse on August 21 ; visible in the Atlantic, North Pacific, and Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, Georgia, and South Carolina
- January 18: 29 people die in an avalanche accident after an earthquake in the Italian province of Pescara .
- March 31: When a mudslide descends in the Colombian city of Mocoa, more than 300 people are killed and several hundred injured; numerous people are still missing.
- May 29: At least 13 people died in a severe storm in Moscow and the surrounding area. Over 1000 trees are uprooted.
- From June 17th: Large-scale forest fires kill more than 60 people and injure more than 200, particularly in the central Portuguese region of Pedrógão Grande and in several neighboring districts.
- August 14: In severe weather events in Sierra Leone , more than 300 people are killed, with a high number of people still missing.
- End of August: In the US metropolis of Houston as well as in other parts of Texas and Louisiana , floods caused by Hurricane Harvey claim 82 lives and, according to initial information, probably cause damage amounting to more than 150 billion US dollars.
- 5th-11th September: Hurricane Irma sets u. a. on the Caribbean islands of Barbuda and Cuba, as well as in parts of the USA, claiming a total of at least 60 lives.
- September 8th: The south of Mexico is hit by a strong earthquake , killing 98 people.
- since September 18: Hurricane Maria causes u. a. severe damage in Dominica and Puerto Rico . According to a study published by George Washington University in August 2018, 2,975 people died in Puerto Rico as a result of the hurricane, while official government figures initially only spoke of 64 deaths.
- September 19: Another earthquake struck Mexico , killing 369 people and injuring more than 8,000 people.
- 5th / 6th October: Storm Xavier kills nine people and causes severe damage in northern and eastern Central Europe.
- 8–31 October: Large forest fires kill 43 people in Northern California and at least 8,900 properties are destroyed.
- November 12: More than 620 people die and more than 12,000 are injured in the Iranian province of Kermanshah and in the Iraqi autonomous region of Kurdistan as a result of an earthquake near Halabja on the border between Iran and Iraq .
- January 16: When a cargo plane crashes in Kyrgyzstan, 38 people die , 34 of them on the ground.
- public viewing of the Champions League final in Turin, northern Italy . June 3: More than 1500 people are injured in a mass panic during the
- June 14: At least 80 people die and more than 70 are injured in a major fire in a high-rise apartment building in London .
- A 9 near Münchberg (Upper Franconia) 18 people die and 30 are injured. July 3: In a bus accident on the
- August 11: 41 people die and 179 are injured in a railroad accident near the Egyptian city of Alexandria .
The announcement of the Nobel Prize winners for 2017 took place from October 2nd to 9th. The awards took place on December 10th, the anniversary of Alfred Nobel's death , in Stockholm and Oslo (only Nobel Peace Prize ).
- Physiology or Medicine : Jeffrey C. Hall , Michael Rosbash, and Michael W. Young
- Physics : Barry Barish , Kip Thorne and Rainer Weiss
- Chemistry : Jacques Dubochet , Joachim Frank and Richard Henderson
- Literature : Kazuo Ishiguro
- Peace : International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons
- Alfred Nobel Memorial Prize for Economics : Richard Thaler
- January 1 : 200th anniversary of the death of the German chemist Martin Heinrich Klaproth
- January 5th : 100th birthday of the German opera director Wieland Wagner
- January 13th : 300th anniversary of the death of the natural scientist Maria Sibylla Merian
- January 21 : 150th birthday of the German writer Ludwig Thoma
- February 6 : 100th birthday of the American-Hungarian actress Zsa Zsa Gabor
- February 19 : 200th birthday of the Dutch King Wilhelm III.
- March 8 : 100th anniversary of the death of the German airship designer Ferdinand von Zeppelin
- March 15 : 100th anniversary of Tsar Nicholas II's abdication - end of the Romanov dynasty ( February Revolution 1917 )
- March 26 : 500th anniversary of the death of the Franco-Flemish composer Heinrich Isaac
- March 31 : 100th anniversary of the death of the German physician and Nobel Prize winner Emil von Behring
- April 15 : 100th anniversary of the Basel sample fair
- April 19 : 50th anniversary of the death of Konrad Adenauer , first Federal Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany
- April 25 : 100th birthday of the American jazz singer Ella Fitzgerald
- May 13th : 300th birthday of Maria Theresa , Archduchess of Austria, Queen of Hungary and Bohemia, Roman-German Empress
- May 29 : 100th birthday of American politician John F. Kennedy , 35th President of the USA
- June 2 : 50th anniversary of the death of West Berlin student Benno Ohnesorg
- June 7th : 100th birthday of the American entertainer Dean Martin
- July 6 : 200th birthday of the Swiss Albert von Kölliker
- July 12 : 200th birthday of the American writer and philosopher Henry David Thoreau
- August 13 : 100th anniversary of the death of the German chemist and Nobel Prize winner Eduard Buchner
- August 20 : 100th anniversary of the death of the German chemist Adolf von Baeyer
- August 25 : 100th birthday of the Dutch-German show master and entertainer Lou van Burg
- September 14 : 200th birthday of the German writer Theodor Storm
- September 20 : 400th anniversary of the founding of the Academic Gymnasium Salzburg
- October 15 : 200th anniversary of the death of Jean Louis Burckhardt (1784–1817), a Swiss traveler to the Orient , who discovered the Nabatean city of Petra and the temple of Abu Simbel
- 31 October : 500th anniversary of the attack of the 95 Theses by Martin Luther
- November 2nd : 300th anniversary of the death of the German violinist and composer Johann Jakob Walther
- November 2nd : 100th anniversary of the Balfour Declaration
- November 7th : 100th anniversary of the October Revolution . In Russia, the Bolsheviks overthrow the provisional government and take power.
- November 17th : 100th anniversary of the death of the French painter and sculptor Auguste Rodin
- November 19 : 100th birthday of the Indian politician and Prime Minister Indira Gandhi
- November 22 : 50th anniversary of UN Security Council Resolution 242 on the withdrawal of Israeli troops from the areas occupied in the Six Day War
- November 30 : 200th birthday of the German historian Theodor Mommsen
- December 6 : 100th anniversary of Finland's independence from Russia
- December 9th : 300th birthday of the German archaeologist and art writer Johann Joachim Winckelmann
- December 16 : 100th birthday of British science fiction writer Arthur C. Clarke
- December 21 : 100th birthday of the German writer and Nobel laureate in literature Heinrich Böll
- The tawny owl ( Strix aluco ) is bird of the year .
- The flounder ( Platichthys flesus ) is fish of the year ( Deutscher Angelfischerverband DAFV).
- The slow worm ( Anguis fragilis ) is reptile of the year .
- The Golden Eight ( Colias hyale ) is butterfly of the year ( Bund für Umwelt und Naturschutz Deutschland Bund).
- The Norway spruce ( Picea abies ) is tree of the year (Kuratorium Tree of the Year).
- The corn poppy ( Papaver rhoeas ) is Flower of the Year ( Nature and Plants Foundation ).
- The Judasohr ( Auricularia auricula-judae ) is mushroom of the year ( German Society for Mycology ).
- The 1987 film Running Man is set in 2017.
For the detailed list of the deceased see Nekrolog 2017 .
- January 1 : Hilarion Capucci , Syrian theologian and political activist (* 1922 )
- January 1 : Derek Parfit , British philosopher (* 1942 )
- January 2 : John Berger , British writer and art critic (* 1926 )
- January 4 : Heinz Billing , German physicist and computer pioneer (* 1914 )
- January 4th : Klaus Wildbolz , Swiss actor (* 1937 )
- January 6th : Om Puri , Indian actor (* 1950 )
- January 6 : Francine York , American actress (* 1936 )
- January 7th : Mário Soares , Portuguese politician and President (* 1924 )
- January 8 : Nicolai Gedda , Swedish opera singer (* 1925 )
- January 8 : James Mancham , Seychellois politician (* 1939 )
- January 8 : Akbar Hāschemi Rafsanjāni , Iranian clergyman and president (* 1934 )
- January 8 : Peter Sarstedt , British singer-songwriter and guitarist (* 1941 )
- January 9 : Zygmunt Bauman , Polish-British sociologist and philosopher (* 1925 )
- January 10th : Roman Herzog , German lawyer, politician and Federal President (* 1934 )
- January 10 : Oliver Smithies , British-American biochemist and Nobel Prize winner (* 1925 )
- January 11 : François Van der Elst , Belgian football player (* 1954 )
- January 12 : Giulio Angioni , Italian writer and anthropologist (* 1939 )
- January 13th : Lord Snowdon , British photographer and designer (* 1930 )
- January 13 : Udo Ulfkotte , German journalist and publicist (* 1960 )
- January 14 : Herbert Mies , German politician (* 1929 )
- January 14th : Zhou Youguang , Chinese economist and linguist (* 1906 )
- January 16 : Eugene Cernan , American astronaut (* 1934 )
- January 16 : Franz Jarnach , German musician and actor (* 1943 )
- January 18 : Peter Abrahams , South African writer (* 1919 )
- January 18 : Wilhelm Noll , German motorcycle racer (* 1926 )
- January 19 : Miguel Ferrer , American actor (* 1955 )
- January 20 : Klaus Huhn , German sports journalist (* 1928 )
- January 22nd : Jaki Liebezeit , German drummer (* 1938 )
- January 23 : Gert Pinkernell , German Romance studies and literary scholar (* 1937 )
- January 25 : John Hurt , British actor (born 1940 )
- January 25 : Mary Tyler Moore , American actress (born 1936 )
- January 26 : Mike Connors , American actor (born 1925 )
- January 26th : Michael Tönnies , German soccer player (* 1959 )
- January 27 : Emmanuelle Riva , French actress (* 1927 )
- January 30th : Anne-Marie Vurpas , French dialectologist (* 1923 )
- January 31 : John Wetton , British rock musician (* 1949 )
- February 1 : Kerstin Gänke , German actress (* 1958 )
- February 1 : Étienne Tshisekedi , Congolese politician (* 1932 )
- February 3 : Dritëro Agolli , Albanian writer (* 1931 )
- February 3 : Lawrence Zoernig , American cellist and composer (* 1960 )
- February 6 : Inge Keller , German actress (* 1923 )
- February 6 : Alec McCowen , British actor (born 1925 )
- February 6 : Raymond Smullyan , American mathematician and author (* 1919 )
- February 7th : Klaus Peter Schreiner , German cabaret artist and author (* 1930 )
- February 7th : Tzvetan Todorov , Bulgarian-French philosopher and essayist (* 1939 )
- February 8 : Peter Mansfield , British physicist and Nobel Prize winner (* 1933 )
- February 9 : Piet Keizer , Dutch football player (* 1943 )
- February 9 : Kurt Radeke , German actor (* 1924 )
- February 11 : Kurt Marti , Swiss poet and writer (* 1921 )
- February 11 : Jirō Taniguchi , Japanese mangaka (* 1947 )
- February 12 : Al Jarreau , American jazz singer and songwriter (* 1940 )
- February 14 : Al Imfeld , Swiss publicist and writer (* 1935 )
- February 15 : Manfred Kaiser , German soccer player (* 1929 )
- February 16 : Dick Bruna , Dutch author and illustrator (* 1927 )
- February 16 : Jannis Kounellis , Greek visual artist (* 1936 )
- February 17 : Tom Regan , American philosopher and animal rights activist (* 1938 )
- February 18 : Umar Abd ar-Rahman , Egyptian convicted Islamist (* 1938 )
- February 19 : Larry Coryell , American jazz guitarist (* 1943 )
- February 20 : Vitaly Tschurkin , Russian diplomat (* 1952 )
- February 21 : Kenneth Arrow , American economist and Nobel Prize winner (* 1921 )
- February 22nd : Fritz Koenig , German sculptor (* 1924 )
- February 22 : Martin Lüttge , German actor (* 1943 )
- February 23 : Sabine Oberhauser , Austrian politician and minister (* 1963 )
- February 25 : Bill Paxton , American actor (* 1955 )
- February 26 : Ludwig Faddejew , Soviet or Russian physicist and mathematician (* 1934 )
- February 27 : Carlos Humberto Romero , Salvadoran politician and president (* 1924 )
- February 27 : Eva María Zuk , Mexican pianist of Polish origin (* 1945 )
- March 1 : Irmela Brender , German writer and translator (* 1935 )
- March 1 : Paula Fox , American writer (* 1923 )
- March 1 : David Rubinger , Israeli photographer (* 1924 )
- March 3 : Raymond Kopa , French football player (* 1931 )
- March 3 : Misha Mengelberg , Dutch jazz pianist (* 1935 )
- March 3 : René Préval , Haitian politician and President (* 1943 )
- March 5 : Kurt Moll , German opera singer (* 1938 )
- March 7th : Hans Georg Dehmelt , German-American physicist and Nobel Prize winner (* 1922 )
- March 8 : George A. Olah , American chemist and Nobel Prize winner (* 1927 )
- March 9 : Howard Hodgkin , British painter (* 1932 )
- March 9 : Karl Korinek , Austrian constitutional lawyer (* 1940 )
- March 10 : John Surtees , British motorcycle and automobile racer (* 1934 )
- March 12 : Horst Ehmke , German politician and Federal Minister (* 1927 )
- March 13 : Ramesh Mishra , Indian sarangi player (* 1948 )
- March 13 : Richard zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg , German entrepreneur (* 1934 )
- March 16 : Johannes Vogel , German diplomat (* 1928 )
- March 17th : Ingeborg Krabbe , German actress and cabaret artist (* 1931 )
- March 17 : Derek Walcott , Lucian-British poet and Nobel Prize winner (* 1930 )
- March 18 : Chuck Berry , American rock 'n' roll musician (* 1926 )
- March 18 : Miloslav Vlk , Czech cardinal (* 1932 )
- March 19 : Roger Pingeon , French cyclist (* 1940 )
- March 20 : David Rockefeller , American banker and philanthropist (* 1915 )
- March 21 : Colin Dexter , British writer (born 1930 )
- March 21 : Martin McGuinness , Northern Irish politician (* 1950 )
- March 22 : Tomás Milián , Cuban actor (* 1933 )
- March 23 : Lola Albright , American actress (* 1924 )
- March 23 : Ekkehard Jost , German musicologist and saxophonist (* 1938 )
- March 23 : William Henry Keeler , American Cardinal (* 1931 )
- March 23 : Ingeborg Rapoport , German physician (* 1912 )
- March 27 : Rainer Kussmaul , German violinist and concert master (* 1946 )
- March 27 : David Storey , British novelist and playwright (* 1933 )
- March 28 : Christine Kaufmann , German actress and author (* 1945 )
- March 29 : Alexei Abrikossow , Soviet and American physicist and Nobel Prize winner (* 1928 )
- March 31 : James Rosenquist , American pop art painter (* 1933 )
- April 1 : Yevgeny Yevtushenko , Soviet or Russian poet and writer (* 1932 )
- April 1 : Giovanni Sartori , Italian political scientist (* 1924 )
- April 4 : Karl Stotz , Austrian football player and coach (* 1927 )
- April 6 : Armand Gatti , French writer and director (* 1924 )
- April 6 : Don Rickles , American comedian and actor (born 1926 )
- April 8 : Georgi Grechko , Soviet cosmonaut (* 1931 )
- April 11 : Michael Ballhaus , German cameraman (* 1935 )
- April 11 : Jerzy Gajek , Polish pianist and music teacher (* 1936 )
- April 12 : Charlie Murphy , American actor and comedian (* 1959 )
- April 15 : Allan Holdsworth , British-American jazz guitarist (* 1946 )
- April 15 : Clifton James , American actor (* 1920 )
- April 15 : Emma Morano , Italian Supercentenarian (* 1899 )
- April 20 : Magdalena Abakanowicz , Polish visual artist (* 1930 )
- April 23 : František Rajtoral , Czech football player (* 1986 )
- April 24 : Robert M. Pirsig , American author (* 1928 )
- April 26 : Jonathan Demme , American film director (* 1944 )
- April 26 : Christine Oesterlein , German actress (* 1924 )
- April 27 : Vito Acconci , American artist (* 1940 )
- April 27 : Eduard Brunner , Swiss clarinetist and university professor (* 1939 )
- April 28 : Johann Christoph Allmayer-Beck , Austrian military historian (* 1918 )
- May 2 : Heinz Keßler , German military and politician (* 1920 )
- May 2 : AR Penck , German visual artist (* 1939 )
- May 3 : Lukas Ammann , Swiss actor (* 1912 )
- May 3 : Daliah Lavi , Israeli singer and actress (* 1942 )
- May 4 : William J. Baumol , American economist (born 1922 )
- May 6 : Steven Holcomb , American bobsleigh pilot (* 1980 )
- May 8 : Curt Lowens , German actor (* 1925 )
- May 9 : Robert Miles , Italian musician (* 1969 )
- May 9 : Michael Parks , American actor (born 1940 )
- May 11 : Roland Gräf , German film director and cameraman (* 1934 )
- May 11 : Joachim Kaiser , German journalist and critic (* 1928 )
- May 12 : Mauno Koivisto , Finnish politician and President (* 1923 )
- May 14 : Powers Boothe , American actor (born 1948 )
- May 15 : Karl-Otto Apel , German philosopher (* 1922 )
- May 16 : Gunnar Möller , German actor (* 1928 )
- May 17 : Johannes Grützke , German painter (* 1937 )
- May 18 : Chris Cornell , American singer and songwriter (* 1964 )
- May 18 : Jacque Fresco , American social reformer (* 1916 )
- May 19 : Stanislaw Petrow , Soviet lieutenant colonel (* 1939 )
- May 20 : Paul Falk , German figure skater (* 1921 )
- May 20 : Waldtraut Lewin , German writer (* 1937 )
- May 22nd : Nicky Hayden , American motorcycle racer (* 1981 )
- May 23 : Roger Moore , British actor (born 1927 )
- May 24 : Denis Johnson , American writer (* 1949 )
- May 24th : Fritz Lichtenhahn , Swiss actor (* 1932 )
- May 24th : Sonny West , American rockabilly singer (born 1937 )
- May 25 : Willi Fährmann , German writer (* 1929 )
- May 26 : Zbigniew Brzeziński , Polish-American political scientist (* 1928 )
- May 27 : Gregg Allman , American singer and musician (* 1947 )
- May 29 : Konstantinos Mitsotakis , Greek politician (* 1918 )
- May 29 : Manuel Noriega , Panamanian politician (* 1938 ?)
- May 31 : Jiří Bělohlávek , Czech conductor (* 1946 )
- May 31 : Hilde Sochor , Austrian actress (* 1924 )
- June 1 : Tankred Dorst , German writer and playwright (* 1925 )
- June 1 : Alois Mock , Austrian politician (* 1934 )
- June 2 : Peter Sallis , British actor and speaker (* 1921 )
- June 2 : Jeffrey Tate , British conductor (* 1943 )
- June 2 : Syed Sharifuddin Pirzada , Pakistani lawyer and politician (* 1923 )
- June 4th : Juan Goytisolo , Spanish writer (* 1931 )
- June 5 : Cheik Tioté , Ivorian football player (* 1986 )
- June 8 : Miguel d'Escoto Brockmann , Nicaraguan priest and politician (* 1933 )
- June 9 : Adam West , American actor (born 1928 )
- June 9 : Andimba Toivo ya Toivo , Namibian human and civil rights activist (* 1924 )
- June 11 : Alexandra Kluge , German actress and doctor (* 1937 )
- June 12 : Rosalie , German set designer and painter (* 1953 )
- June 12 : Charles P. Thacker , American computer scientist (* 1943 )
- June 13 : Anita Pallenberg , German actress and groupie (* 1942 )
- June 14 : Renate Holland-Moritz , German writer and film critic (* 1935 )
- June 14 : Hans-Peter Schwarz , German political scientist and historian (* 1934 )
- June 15 : Alexei Batalow , Soviet actor and director (* 1928 )
- June 16 : John G. Avildsen , American film director (born 1935 )
- June 16 : Helmut Kohl , German politician and Federal Chancellor (* 1930 )
- June 18 : Tony Liscio , American football player (born 1940 )
- June 19 : Ivan Dias , Indian Curia Cardinal (* 1936 )
- June 19 : Ilse Pagé , German actress (* 1939 )
- June 20 : Prodigy , American rapper (born 1974 )
- June 22nd : Gunter Gabriel , German singer (* 1942 )
- June 22 : Ketumile Masire , President of Botswana (* 1925 )
- June 27 : Peter L. Berger , American sociologist (* 1929 )
- June 27 : Michael Bond , British writer (* 1926 )
- June 27 : Mikael Nyqvist , Swedish actor (* 1960 )
- June 30th : Simone Veil , French politician (* 1927 )
- July 2nd : Chris Roberts , German pop singer (* 1944 )
- July 3 : Cholo Brenes , Dominican music promoter, lawyer, political scientist, sociologist and columnist (* 1942 )
- July 3 : Zdeněk Juračka , Czech rock guitarist (* 1947 )
- July 3 : Paolo Villaggio , Italian actor and writer (* 1932 )
- July 4th : Daniil Granin , Soviet or Russian writer (* 1919 )
- July 4th : Heinz Schneiter , Swiss football player (* 1935 )
- July 5 : Pierre Henry , French composer (* 1927 )
- July 5 : Joachim Cardinal Meisner , German Archbishop (* 1933 )
- July 5th : Joaquín Navarro-Valls , Spanish Director of the Vatican Press Office (* 1936 )
- July 8 : Nelsan Ellis , American actor (born 1977 )
- July 8 : Elsa Martinelli , Italian actress (* 1935 )
- July 10 : Dhruba Ghosh , Indian sarang player (* 1957 )
- July 10 : Peter Härtling , German writer (* 1933 )
- July 12 : Armando Almánzar Rodríguez , Dominican writer and film critic (* 1935 )
- July 13 : Charles Bachman , American computer scientist (* 1924 )
- July 13 : Ina-Maria Federowski , German pop singer (* 1949 )
- July 13 : Liu Xiaobo , Chinese writer and Nobel Peace Prize Laureate (* 1955 )
- July 14 : Anne Golon , French writer (* 1921 )
- July 14 : Maryam Mirzakhani , Iranian mathematician (* 1977 )
- July 15 : Josef Hamerl , Austrian football player (* 1931 )
- July 15 : Martin Landau , American actor (* 1928 )
- July 16 : George A. Romero , American film director (* 1940 )
- July 18 : Max Gallo , French writer and politician (* 1932 )
- July 20 : Chester Bennington , American singer (* 1976 )
- July 20 : Andrea Jürgens , German pop singer (* 1967 )
- July 20 : Bernhard Kempa , German handball player and coach (* 1920 )
- July 20 : Claude Rich , French actor (born 1929 )
- July 21 : John Heard , American actor (born 1946 )
- July 22 : Fritz Hellwig , German politician (* 1912 )
- July 22nd : Polo Hofer , Swiss dialect rock singer (* 1945 )
- July 25 : Gretel Bergmann , German-American athlete (* 1914 )
- July 26th : Constantin Freiherr von Heereman , German agricultural politician (* 1931 )
- July 26th : Leo Kinnunen , Finnish racing car driver (* 1943 )
- July 27 : Sam Shepard , American playwright and actor (* 1943 )
- July 31 : Jeanne Moreau , French actress and singer (* 1928 )
- August 3 : Robert Hardy , British actor (born 1925 )
- August 3 : Ángel Nieto , Spanish motorcycle racer (* 1947 )
- August 5 : Dionigi Tettamanzi , Italian cardinal (* 1934 )
- August 5 : Ernst Zündel , German Holocaust denier (* 1939 )
- August 6 : David Maslanka , American composer (* 1943 )
- August 6 : Martin Roth , German cultural scientist (* 1955 )
- August 8 : Glen Campbell , American country singer and musician (* 1936 )
- August 10 : Ruth Pfau , German nun and leprosy doctor (* 1929 )
- August 11 : Israel Kristal , Polish-Israeli Holocaust survivor and age record holder (* 1903 )
- August 15 : Gunnar Birkerts , Latvian-American architect (* 1925 )
- August 15 : Eberhard Jäckel , German contemporary historian (* 1929 )
- August 19 : Brian Aldiss , British science fiction writer (born 1925 )
- August 19 : KO Götz , German painter and poet (* 1914 )
- August 20 : Margot Hielscher , German singer and actress (* 1919 )
- August 20 : Jerry Lewis , American comedian and actor (born 1926 )
- August 22nd : John Abercrombie , American guitarist (born 1944 )
- August 26th : Tobe Hooper , American film director (* 1943 )
- August 26 : Josef Musil , Czechoslovak volleyball player (* 1932 )
- August 28 : Mireille Darc , French actress (* 1938 )
- August 28 : Tsutomu Hata , Japanese politician (* 1935 )
- August 29 : Kurt Dahlmann , German journalist (* 1918 )
- August 30 : Louise Hay , American author (* 1926 )
- August 30 : Károly Makk , Hungarian film director (* 1925 )
- August 31 : Richard Anderson , American actor (born 1926 )
- August 31 : Egon Günther , German film director and writer (* 1927 )
- September 1 : Cormac Murphy-O'Connor , British Cardinal (* 1932 )
- September 3 : John Ashbery , American poet (born 1927 )
- September 3 : Walter Becker , American musician and songwriter (* 1950 )
- September 5 : Nicolaas Bloembergen , American physicist and Nobel Prize winner (* 1920 )
- September 5 : Holger Czukay , German musician (* 1938 )
- September 5 : Arno Rink , German painter (* 1940 )
- September 6th : Carlo Caffarra , Italian cardinal (* 1938 )
- September 6 : Kate Millett , American writer and feminist (* 1934 )
- September 6 : Lotfi Zadeh , American computer scientist (* 1921 )
- September 8th : Pierre Bergé , French entrepreneur and patron (* 1930 )
- September 8 : Jerry Pournelle , American journalist and writer (* 1933 )
- September 8 : Karl Ravens , German politician and Federal Minister (* 1927 )
- September 8 : Don Williams , American country singer (born 1939 )
- September 10 : Nancy Dupree , American historian and archaeologist (* 1927 )
- September 10 : Len Wein , American comic book author (* 1948 )
- September 11 : JP Donleavy , American-Irish writer (* 1926 )
- September 11th : Abdul Halim Mu'adzam Shah , Malaysian electoral king (* 1927 )
- September 11th : Peter Hall , British director (* 1930 )
- September 12 : Heiner Geißler , German politician and Federal Minister (* 1930 )
- September 13 : Frank Vincent , American actor (* 1939 )
- September 14th : Wolfgang Michels , German musician and singer-songwriter (* 1951 )
- September 14 : Otto Wanz , Austrian strength athlete (* 1943 )
- September 15 : Violet Brown , Jamaican age record holder (* 1900 )
- September 15 : Albert Speer junior , German architect and urban planner (* 1934 )
- September 15 : Harry Dean Stanton , American actor (born 1926 )
- September 19 : Horst Herrmann , German church critic and writer (* 1940 )
- September 19 : Jake LaMotta , American boxer (born 1921 )
- September 21 : Liliane Bettencourt , French entrepreneur (* 1922 )
- September 23 : Charles Bradley , American musician (* 1948 )
- September 24th : Gisèle Casadesus , French actress (* 1914 )
- September 24 : Kito Lorenc , Sorbian poet and dramatist (* 1938 )
- September 24 : Ulrike von Möllendorff , German journalist and television presenter (* 1939 )
- September 27 : Joy Fleming , German singer (* 1944 )
- September 27 : Hugh Hefner , American publisher (born 1926 )
- September 28 : Željko Perušić , Yugoslav football player (* 1936 )
- September 28 : Jürgen Roth , German publicist (* 1945 )
- September 28 : Andreas Schmidt , German actor and director (* 1963 )
- September 28 : Erich Schneider-Wessling , German architect (* 1931 )
- September 28 : Benjamin Whitrow , British actor (born 1937 )
- September 29 : Lorenz Funk senior , German ice hockey player (* 1947 )
- September 30th : Wladimir Wojewodski , Russian mathematician (* 1966 )
- October 1 : Arthur Janov , American psychologist and author (* 1924 )
- October 1 : Herbert Tröndle , German legal scholar (* 1919 )
- October 2 : Klaus Huber , Swiss composer (* 1924 )
- October 2 : Tom Petty , American musician (* 1950 )
- October 3 : Jalal Talabani , Iraqi politician and President (* 1933 )
- October 4th : Liam Cosgrave , Irish politician and Prime Minister (* 1920 )
- October 5 : Sylke Tempel , German journalist and book author (* 1963 )
- October 5 : Anne Wiazemsky , French actress and writer (* 1947 )
- October 9 : Jean Rochefort , French actor (born 1930 )
- October 10 : Lissy Tempelhof , German actress (* 1929 )
- October 13 : Albert Zafy , President of Madagascar (* 1927 )
- October 14 : Wolfgang Bötsch , German politician and Federal Minister (* 1938 )
- October 14 : Richard Wilbur , American poet and translator (* 1921 )
- October 16 : Roy Dotrice , British actor (* 1923 )
- October 17th : Danielle Darrieux , French actress (* 1917 )
- October 19 : Umberto Lenzi , Italian film director and author (* 1931 )
- October 22 : Paul J. Weitz , American astronaut (* 1932 )
- October 23 : Walter Lassally , British cameraman (* 1926 )
- October 24 : Girija Devi , Indian singer, music teacher and composer (* 1929 )
- October 24 : Fats Domino , American musician (* 1928 )
- October 24 : Robert Guillaume , American actor (* 1927 )
- October 25 : Silvia Bovenschen , German literary scholar and author (* 1946 )
- October 29 : Linda Nochlin , American art historian and essayist (* 1931 )
- November 1 : Vladimir Makanin , Russian writer (* 1937 )
- November 3 : Odilo Lechner , German Benedictine abbot (* 1931 )
- November 5 : Nancy Friday , American writer (born 1933 )
- November 5 : Lothar Thoms , German cyclist (* 1956 )
- November 6 : Karin Dor , German actress (* 1938 )
- November 6 : Richard Gordon , American astronaut (* 1929 )
- November 6th : Feliciano Rivilla , Spanish football player (* 1936 )
- November 7th : Hans-Michael Rehberg , German actor and director (* 1938 )
- November 7th : Hans Schäfer , German football player (* 1927 )
- November 9 : John Hillerman , American actor (born 1932 )
- November 10 : Bernhard Eckstein , German racing cyclist (* 1935 )
- November 14 : Wolfgang Schreyer , German writer (* 1927 )
- November 15 : Frans Krajcberg , Polish-Brazilian artist (* 1921 )
- November 15 : Lil Peep , American rapper (* 1996 )
- November 17th : Salvatore Riina , Italian mafioso (* 1930 )
- November 17th : Naim Süleymanoğlu , Bulgarian-Turkish weightlifter (* 1967 )
- November 18 : Azzedine Alaïa , Tunisian fashion designer (* 1940 )
- November 18 : Friedel Rausch , German football player and coach (* 1940 )
- November 18 : Malcolm Young , British-Australian rock musician (* 1953 )
- November 19 : Andrea Cordero Lanza di Montezemolo , Italian cardinal and Vatican diplomat (* 1925 )
- November 19 : Charles Manson , American criminal (* 1934 )
- November 19 : Jana Novotná , Czech tennis player (* 1968 )
- November 19 : Della Reese , American jazz singer and actress (* 1931 )
- November 20 : Dieter Bellmann , German actor and director (* 1940 )
- November 21 : Peter Berling , German actor and writer (* 1934 )
- November 21 : David Cassidy , American singer and actor (born 1950 )
- November 21 : Otto Luttrop , German football player and coach (* 1939 )
- November 22nd : George Mesrop Avakian , American music producer (* 1919 )
- November 22nd : Dmitri Hvorostovsky , Russian opera singer (* 1962 )
- November 24th : Hermann Schwörer , German politician (* 1922 )
- November 25 : Rance Howard , American actor (born 1928 )
- November 26 : Georg Iggers , American historian (* 1926 )
- November 28th : Shadia , Egyptian film actress and singer (* 1931 )
- November 29th : Jerry Fodor , American philosopher and cognitive scientist (* 1935 )
- November 29th : Slobodan Praljak , Croatian general and war criminal (* 1945 )
- November 29 : Verena Stefan , Swiss writer (* 1947 )
- November 30th : Colin Groves , British-Australian anthropologist and primatologist (* 1942 )
- December 1 : Fredy Schmidtke , German track cyclist and Olympic champion (* 1961 )
- December 1 : Horst Weinheimer , German actor (* 1930 )
- December 2 : Ulli Lommel , German actor and film director (* 1944 )
- December 4 : Shashi Kapoor , Indian actor (* 1938 )
- December 4th : Christine Keeler , British model (* 1942 )
- December 4 : Manuel Marín , Spanish politician (* 1949 )
- December 4 : Ali Abdullah Salih , Yemeni politician and President (* 1942 )
- December 5 : Johnny Hallyday , French singer and actor (born 1943 )
- December 5th : Michael I , King of Romania (* 1921 )
- December 5 : Jean d'Ormesson , French writer (* 1925 )
- December 10 : María Judith Franco , Puerto Rican actress and voice actress (* 1925 )
- December 11 : Christos M. Joachimides , Greek art historian and exhibition curator (* 1932 )
- December 20 : Bernard Francis Law , American Cardinal (* 1931 )
- December 21 : Bruce McCandless , American astronaut (* 1937 )
- December 26th : Gerd Cintl , German rower and Olympic champion (* 1938 )
- December 26th : Hans Saner , Swiss philosopher (* 1934 )
- December 28 : Sue Grafton , American writer (* 1940 )
- December 28 : Ulrich Wegener , German Brigadier General (* 1929 )
- December 30th : Bernd Spier , German pop singer (* 1944 )
Gallery of the deceased
January 6: Om Puri (2010)
January 7th: Mário Soares (2008)
January 8: Akbar Hāschemi Rafsanjāni (2016)
January 9: Zygmunt Bauman (2013)
January 10: Roman Herzog (2006)
January 13: Udo Ulfkotte (2015)
January 20: Klaus Huhn (2011)
January 27: John Hurt (2015)
January 27: Emmanuelle Riva (2013)
February 6: Inge Keller (1950)
February 12: Al Jarreau (1981)
February 25: Bill Paxton (2016)
March 1: David Rubinger (2014)
March 3: Raymond Kopa (1963)
March 3: Misha Mengelberg (1968)
March 10: John Surtees (1964)
March 12: Horst Ehmke (2003)
March 17th: Ingeborg Krabbe (2012)
March 18: Chuck Berry (2007)
March 20: David Rockefeller (1953)
March 28: Christine Kaufmann (2014)
April 1: Yevgeny Alexandrovich (2009)
April 12: Michael Ballhaus (2007)
April 20: Magdalena Abakanowicz (2010)
April 26: Jonathan Demme (2015)
May 3: Daliah Lavi (1966)
May 6: Steven Holcomb (2017)
May 9: Robert Miles (2014)
May 23: Roger Moore (1973)
June 9: Adam West (2014)
June 16: Helmut Kohl (1987)
June 20: Prodigy (2014)
June 22nd: Gunter Gabriel (2008)
June 27: Mikael Nyqvist (2013)
June 30th: Simone Veil (2008)
July 3: Paolo Villaggio (2008)
July 4th: Daniil Granin (2012)
July 5: Joachim Cardinal Meisner (2014)
July 10: Peter Härtling (2013)
July 15: Martin Landau (2010)
July 16: George A. Romero (2009)
July 20: Chester Bennington (2014)
July 27: Sam Shepard (2004)
July 31: Jeanne Moreau (2009)
August 8: Glen Campbell (2004)
August 20: Jerry Lewis (2013)
August 28: Mireille Darc (1989)
September 12: Heiner Geißler (2016)
September 15: Harry Dean Stanton (2006)
September 27: Joy Fleming (2012)
September 27: Hugh Hefner (2010)
September 28: Andreas Schmidt (2016)
October 2: Tom Petty (2010)
October 9: Jean Rochefort (2013)
October 17: Danielle Darrieux (2008)
October 24: Fats Domino (1977)
November 6: Karin Dor (2015)
November 7th: Hans-Michael Rehberg (2011)
November 21: David Cassidy (1974)
December 2: Ulli Lommel (2007)
December 4th: Shashi Kapoor (2012)
December 4th: Manuel Marín (2009)
December 6: Johnny Hallyday (1965)
December 28: Sue Grafton (2009)
- Number of dead rises to 300 after mudslide , zeit.de, April 6, 2017, accessed on April 20, 2017
- Several people killed by trees in a storm. Stuttgarter Zeitung, May 30, 2017, accessed on the same day.
- Champions League final: Panic at public viewing in Turin - 1500 injured , Spiegel Online , June 3, 2017, accessed on June 4, 2017
- All 18 dead recovered on deutschlandfunk.de, accessed on July 3, 2017