The 1970s was the eighth decade of the 20th century and lasted from 1970 to 1979.
In Western history in particular , the 1970s are seen as a time of crises, upheavals and changes. The two oil price crises of 1973/74 and 1979 as well as the end of the long post-war boom in Western economies and the ongoing stagflation in some countries contribute to this impression .
- Warsaw kneels - in 1970 , Federal Chancellor Willy Brandt asks Poland for forgiveness for German crimes in World War II . In 1971 Brandt received the Nobel Peace Prize for this .
- 1970/ 1971 : Moscow and Warsaw treaties - recognizing the Oder-Neisse line by the Federal Republic of Germany .
- Bundesliga scandal in West Germany (1971–1975).
- Munich hostage-taking at the Summer Olympics (1972).
- Failed constructive vote of no confidence by the CDU in the German Bundestag and new elections (1972).
- Richard Nixon was confirmed in the 1972 US presidential election with the second-best result in history.
- On January 1, 1973, the United Kingdom, Ireland and Denmark join the European Economic Community . The Community of Six becomes " EG -9"; especially in Great Britain one speaks mostly of the “common market”.
- Oil crisis in autumn 1973, triggered by some Arab states on the occasion of an Arab-Israeli war . Car-free (Sundays) days .
- Watergate Affair : Richard Nixon resigns (1974).
- Guillaume Affair : Willy Brandt resigns (1974).
- First soccer world championship in Germany (1974).
- End of the Vietnam War (1975).
- Hostage-taking in Vienna's OPEC main building (1975).
- Lebanon : The Lebanese civil war begins in 1975 with an attack on a bus in East Beirut .
- 1976: first G7 summit
- Red Army Faction : German Autumn (1977)
- Egypt-Israel Peace Treaty 1978 / 1979 , see also Middle East conflict .
- The community reform reduces the number of individual communities in the territory of the Federal Republic of Germany by two thirds. It will officially be completed in the middle of the decade.
- The external value of the Deutsche Mark rises considerably: if you had to shell out more than DM 3.50 for a US dollar in 1970, the price fell below DM 2 at the end of the decade (see exchange rate .)
- End of the 1970s: The Greens party , environmental protection movements and nuclear phase-out groups.
- For the unrest and tensions in the Catholic Church in the decade after the Vatican are Archbishop Lefebvre and the controversy that Hans Kung with his book Infallible? A request started .
- The Polish cardinal Karol Wojtyła becomes Pope - John Paul II (1978).
- Islamic Revolution (1978/1979).
- NATO double decision (1979).
- Hippies , then new social movements , peace movement , anti-nuclear power movement , demonstrations e.g. B. at the Brokdorf nuclear power plant
- Hortense von Gelmini becomes the first German conductor of a symphony orchestra
- Europe (label)
- Playback theater
- Radio Dreyeckland
- Raster search
- Schoolgirl Report
- We children from Bahnhof Zoo
- MAD magazine with new editor-in-chief Herbert Feuerstein
- Zack (comic magazine; 1972 to 1980)
- Peep shows
- Beginning of the personal computer era with the establishment of companies such as Apple , Microsoft and others. a.
- The first generation of video games begins with consoles such as B. Fairchild Channel F or Atari 2600 .
- Pong (video game), Etch A Sketch
- Werner Stengel develops the first risk-free looping loop together with Anton Schwarzkopf .
- Variably usable compact cars with a large tailgate like the VW Golf define a new vehicle class after the oil crisis.
- Inauguration of the New Elbe Tunnel in 1975
Individual contributions internationally
Individual contributions Germany
Oscar Winner (Best Picture)
- 1970: Asphalt Cowboy
- 1971: Patton - rebel in uniform
- 1972: Brooklyn hot spot
- 1973: The godfather
- 1974: The highlight
- 1975: The Godfather II
- 1976: One flew over the cuckoo's nest
- 1977: Rocky
- 1978: The urban neurotic
- 1979: Who go through hell
Palme d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival
- 1970: MASH
- 1971: The mediator
- 1972: The Mattei Case and The Working Class 'Path to Paradise '
- 1973: Message for Lady Franklin and Asphalt Blossoms
- 1974: The dialogue
- 1975: Chronicle of the Years of Embers
- 1976: Taxi Driver
- 1977: Padre Padrone - My father, my lord
- 1978: The wooden shoe tree
- 1979: Apocalypse Now and The Tin Drum
- Berlin school
- Glam rock
- Hard rock
- Minimal music
- New wave
- Progressive rock
Music stars of the 1970s
- On April 10, 1970, The Beatles announced their breakup.
- The German Phono Academy was founded on September 27, 1973; the Federal Association of the Phonographic Industry awarded the Golden Record in Germany from 1975 .
- From 1974 a new genre emerged with disco music , which was typical of the lifestyle of the time and has cult status to this day .
(selected by Rolling Stone )
- Layla , Derek and the Dominos
- Bridge over Troubled Water , Simon & Garfunkel
- Imagine , John Lennon
- What's going on , Marvin Gaye
- Let's stay together , Al Green
- Stairway to Heaven , Led Zeppelin
- No Woman, No Cry , Bob Marley and the Wailing Wailers
- Born to Run , Bruce Springsteen
- Hotel California , Eagles
- Heroes , David Bowie
- Anarchy in the UK , Sex Pistols
- Redemption Song , Bob Marley
- London Calling , The Clash
- Dancing Queen , ABBA
- Eric Clapton : Slowhand
- Led Zeppelin: Led Zeppelin IV
- Black Sabbath : Master of Reality
- Clay stones shards : No power for nobody
- Genesis : Foxtrot
- Pink Floyd : The Dark Side of the Moon
- Frank Zappa : Over-Nite Sensation
- Power plant : Autobahn
- Bruce Springsteen: Born to Run
- Queen : A Night at the Opera
- Sex Pistols: Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols
- The Clash: London Calling
- AC / DC : Highway to Hell
- ABBA : Arrival
- Deep Purple: Deep Purple In Rock / Machine Head
Individual contributions internationally
Individual contributions Germany
- Gert Wilden
- Howard Carpendale
- Insterburg & Co.
- James Last
- Karel Gott
- Katja Ebstein
- power plant
- The Les Humphries Singers
- Reinhard Mey
- Roy Black
- Clay stones shards
- Udo Juergens
Fashion and design
- Long hairstyles in men
- Beard , sideburns
- Mini skirt
- Wooden clogs
- Platform shoes , e.g. Sometimes also in men
- Bell bottoms
- Hot pants
The following can be seen on this picture (line by line from left to right):
- Richard Nixon left Washington, DC on August 9, 1974 after resigning from the Watergate affair
- The fall of Saigon at the end of the Vietnam War
- The Iranian Revolution of 1979 (the Islamic Revolution ) leads to the overthrow of Mohammad Reza Pahlavi
- Disco music is popular
- Symbolic image for the "oil crisis" of 1973, see the oil price crisis
- Several hundred thousand people fell victim to cyclone Bhola on November 12, 1970
- Signing of the Camp David Agreement in 1978
Arts and Culture
- Werner Faulstich (ed.): The culture of the seventies . (= Cultural history of the twentieth century). Fink, Munich 2004, ISBN 3-7705-4022-0 .
- Zeithistorische Forschungen / Studies in Contemporary History 3 (2006), Volume 3: The 1970s - Inventory of a Time of Change .
- Dominic Lutyens / Kirsty Hislop: 70s Style & Design, Edel, Hamburg 2010, ISBN 978-3-941378-24-7 .
- Elvira Lauscher, "Our cookbook of the 70s", Wartberg Verlag, 2010, ISBN 978-3-8313-2388-3 .
- Emanuel Ammon "70s" illustrated book, AURA photo book publisher, 2011, ISBN 978-3-9523375-4-7 .
- Albrecht Geck : The Federal Republic in the 1960s and 1970s - A general orientation with a focus on the history of theology . In: Siegfried Hermle, Jürgen Kampmann (Ed.): The evangelical movement in Württemberg and Westphalia. Beginnings and Effects . Contributions to the Westphalian Church History 39, Bielefeld (Luther-Verlag) 2012, 25–41.
- Profiles of the 1970s - a topic portal of the seminar for contemporary history, University of Tübingen