Cher (* 20th May 1946 in El Centro , California as Cherilyn Sarkisian ) is an American singer , songwriter and actress . Through her appearance and work in music, film and television as well as in fashion, she became an icon of pop culture . She is credited with the entry of female independence and self-fulfillment into the entertainment industry . Inventing known continuously both their music and their image again, it is also known as Goddess of Pop (Goddess of Pop Music) designated. From folk to disco and rock music to electropop , Cher turned to various genres in the course of her career , some of which also shaped her.
In 1965 she became known as the female part of the duo Sonny and Cher through the hit I Got You Babe . At the same time, she embarked on a solo career as a singer, which she was able to successfully continue from 1971 with the television program The Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour - for which she was immortalized with Sonny Bono on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1999 - and her offshoots. In the 1980s she started a second career as an actress, first on Broadway ; After receiving critical acclaim for her film roles in Silkwood and The Mask , she won the 1988 Oscar for Best Actress for Moonstruck . For decades it was a style-defining feature, made it onto the cover of Vogue six times and was awarded the " Fashion Oscar " in 1999 for its influence on the fashion world. Her Farewell Tour , which ran from 2002 to 2005, was according to the Guinness Book of Records (2007) the most successful tour by a solo artist to date.
She is also an Emmy , Grammy , and three-time Golden Globe award winner. With over 200 million records sold and another 80 million together with her former husband Sonny Bono , she is one of the most commercially successful musicians of the 20th and 21st centuries. One of the most popular singles in music history is her world hit Believe from the 1998 album of the same name, with which she popularized the auto-tune effect . In 2011 she broke her own record: She was the only artist to land a number one hit in a section of the Billboard charts in all six decades of her career. With her single I Hope You Find It in 2013, she established herself as an artist with the longest-lasting chart career. This was extended for another five years in 2018 with the single SOS .
Cher's father, John Sarkisian, was American of Armenian descent, her mother, Georgia Holt (born Jackie Jean Crouch), has German-French-Irish-English and possibly Cherokee- Indian roots. After her parents divorced, Cher grew up with her adoptive father Gilbert LaPiere and her mother.
Chaz Bono comes from her first marriage to Sonny Bono in 1964 ( Chastity Sun Bono until May 2010 ). In the 1970s Cher was married to Gregg Allman , the son of this marriage is Elijah Blue Allman . After divorcing Gregg Allman, she was briefly in a relationship with Kiss bassist Gene Simmons . From 1989 to 1991 Cher was with the then Bon Jovi guitarist Richie Sambora .
Cher is a Buddhist .
1965-1969: Sonny and Cher
Cher married Sonny Bono in 1964 , whom she had met two years earlier. This brought her to the Phil Spector record studios as a background singer . There she sang on records by the Ronettes and the Righteous Brothers . This was followed by the founding of the pop duo Sonny & Cher .
In 1965, the couple landed their first global number 1 hit with I Got You Babe . Within 21 days, the single sold over three million times, to date there are seven million records sold. The video for I Got You Babe was the very first music video and was shot on Top of the Pops . The duo's five singles, released in the same year, placed themselves in the list of the international top 20 hits, further hits were to follow in 1965 with Baby Don't Go, 1966 with Little Man and 1968 with The Beat Goes On . In 1965, Sonny and Cher started their first sold-out Wondrous World Tour at the Hollywood Bowl . With over 80 million records sold, Sonny & Cher became the most successful artist couple of all time.
In parallel, Cher also appeared as a solo singer. With the cover version of the Bob Dylan title All I Really Want to Do , she scored her first number 1 hit in 1965, followed by Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down) in 1966 and You Better Sit Down Kids in 1967 . Cher's flared bell-bottoms and fur vests became her trademark , as did her black, straight hair and thick eyeliner. Between 1965 and 1971 it achieved an average of 30 million US dollars (today's purchasing power 450 million dollars) in sales.
Cher met Diana Vreeland at a dinner party at Jackie Kennedy's , and a few weeks later Richard Avedon took photos of Cher for US Vogue. Under Vreeland it appeared eight times in Vogue (Dec. 1965, Nov. 1966, Aug. 1967, Aug. Sep. Nov. 1969, Oct. 1970, Dec. 1971). In the 70s, the new creative director of US Vogue made Grace Mirabella Cher her favorite and so she appeared on the cover of US Vogue five times (Apr. and Dec. 1972, May and Nov. 1974, Feb. 1975) and also in French Vogue (Apr. 1972).
1970–1979: Success in music and television
1970 Sonny & Cher got their own show in Las Vegas , Sonny and Cher Nitty Gritty Hour, which then became a television show a year later (Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour). Within a very short time, the show became a success and brought both of them 125,000 US dollars per week, each time around 25 million Americans ( audience rate of 35%) sat in front of the television screens. Their hits All I Ever Need Is You (1971) and A Cowboy's Work Is Never Done (1972) made their way back into the international top 10 and they were nominated for "best duo" at the 1971 Grammy Awards .
At the same time, Cher landed her first number 1 hit in the US Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves (1971), followed by the top 10 hit The Way of Love (1972), and Cher was best for the first time without a bono Artist nominated for a Grammy .
On February 27, 1974, Cher filed for divorce from Sonny Bono. Sonny Bono then sued Cher several times for a total of $ 24 million (now $ 360 million), the alleged loss caused by her exit. Her lover David Geffen was also sued for $ 13 million ($ 195 million) by Sonny. Cher's attorneys found, however, that Sonny held 95 percent of the shares in Cher's corporate empire and that his attorney Spiegel held five percent; Cher didn't have any. The judge dismissed Sonny's lawsuit and awarded Cher $ 25,000 ($ 375,000) in monthly maintenance and Chastity's prudential and maintenance rights of $ 1,500 ($ 22,500). In addition, an injunction was issued stating that Bono no longer had access to Cher's property.
After the divorce, Cher got a month-long engagement in Las Vegas for $ 600,000 and went on a concert tour for which she received a million dollars. Her singles Half Breed (1973) and Dark Lady (1974) made it to the top of the world charts. She also got her own show Cher Show, which achieved such high ratings that stars like Tina Turner , Elton John , Michael Jackson and Bette Midler became regular guests of the show.
Elijah Blue (from marriage to Gregg Allman) was born on July 10, 1976.
Between 1972 and 1977 Cher received seven Emmys and three Golden Globe nominations for her acting work , one of which she won in 1972 for Best TV Actress. Her three TV shows achieved viewing participation rates of 40% and annual audience rates of 21 to 23%. This made them the No. 1 TV Show of the Year from 1973 to 1976. In 1979 Cher landed her next international dance hit, Take Me Home; in the same year she released her next single Hell on Wheels.
1980–1987: Establishment as a film star
In 1981 Cher got her own two-year show Cher: A Celebration at Caesar's Palace in Caesars Palace in Las Vegas . She was paid $ 350,000 a week for the show. Cher began a career as a serious actress. Robert Altman supported them, and so it was in 1982 for Ed Gracyks Broadway -Stück Come Back to the Five and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean hired. Altman hired her in 1982 for the film of the same name, for which she received a Golden Globe nomination for best actress.
Mike Nichols hired Cher for Silkwood (1983), which earned her an Oscar and BAFTA nomination and the Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actress. Her first leading role was in Peter Bogdanovich's film drama The Mask (1985), in which she played the mother of Roy L. Dennis , who suffered from craniodiaphyseal dysplasia . The film earned her the Best Actress Award at the 1985 Cannes Film Festival . Cher has been involved with the Children's Craniofacial Association since her role in The Mask .
Between 1986 and 1988 she starred in three films: in The Witches of Eastwick with Jack Nicholson , Michelle Pfeiffer and Susan Sarandon , in Suspect and in the comedy hit Moonstruck , which won her an Oscar, a Golden Globe and a David di Donatello as well as a nomination at the Berlin International Film Festival and the BAFTA Awards . In 1990 the movie Mermaids Kiss Better was released in theaters. Premiere Magazine named Cher Most Influential Actress of 1990.
In 1986, Cher caused a stir when she wore Bob Mackie's then most expensive dress to the Academy Awards. In 1988, Cher caused a scandal at the Academy Awards in the United States when she wore a transparent dress that barely covered the lack of underwear with a few pearls and sequins. As early as 1987 she was in Thomas Gottschalk's Wetten, dass ..? appeared in a transparent short black, under which she only wore a dark thong.
1987–1997: Return to the music business, TV work
In 1987 Cher returned to the music business, her two albums Cher (1987) and Heart of Stone (1989) sold more than 20 million copies worldwide. The video for her worldwide number 1 hit If I Could Turn Back Time (1989), in which Cher appeared lightly clad on the deck of the battleship USS Missouri , sparked controversy and was banned from MTV 's evening program. Other singles from these albums became top 10 hits; I Found Someone (1987), After All (1989), Just Like Jesse James (1989). After the great success of her two albums, Cher went on the sold out US tour Heart of Stone.
The album Love Hurts (1991) and their first greatest hits album 1965-1992 were able to build on the success, both of which sold 18 million copies. Her soundtrack The Shoop Shoop Song (1991) to Mermaids kiss better became a worldwide number 1 hit, the follow-up single Love and Understanding (1991) was able to assert itself in the international top 10. The sold out Love Hurts Tour took Cher back to Germany as a singer after more than 10 years, where she was then named “best international artist” by the Echo . In the same year, Cher fell ill with chronic fatigue syndrome and withdrew from the public.
Madame Tussauds Wax Museum immortalized Cher in 1992 with a life-size statue as one of the five most beautiful women in history.
In 1995 Cher's album It's a Man's World was released . Hits like the cover version of Walking in Memphis and One by One were released as singles from the album. With the song Love Can Build a Bridge with Neneh Cherry , Chrissie Hynde and Eric Clapton , she reached the top of the English charts .
In 1997, Cher starred in the TV production, House of Silent Screams , which she also directed . For the film, she received the National Educational Media Network's Gold Apple for best film and two Golden Globe nominations. Cher was nominated for the 1996 Berlin International Film Festival for her film Faithful .
1998–2005: Musical highlight, farewell tour
In 1998 Cher achieved a worldwide number 1 hit with the disco production Believe , which was also awarded a Grammy Award and was at the same time the biggest sales success of her career. The auto-tune effect of extremely high pitch correction was made famous by the song Believe . In Germany there was also a German version sung by Mary Roos with the title Sorry, I still love you . In 1999, after the album Believe had sold 20 million copies and the single Strong Enough became another global hit (German version Wenn der Morgen sucht by Marianne Rosenberg ), Cher went on the world tour Do You Believe ?, which featured 119 shows in comprised the United States, Europe and Africa and sold out immediately. In the same year she became the most played artist in discos and clubs. In 2000 she received an echo as best international artist and World Music Award as a living legend. After more than 30 years, Hollywood honored her with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for her successful TV shows in the 1970s .
In 2001 Cher released the album Living Proof . The single The Music's No Good Without You made it to number 1 in the international charts and Cher was awarded the Bambi for best singer of the century in Germany. The song Alive Again was the official coverage of the ARD on the XIX. Salt Lake City 2002 Winter Olympics Accompanying Song Chosen. As part of her Farewell Tour 2004, Cher came to Germany for four concerts, where she received the Women's World Award for her extraordinary career as one of the most successful singers and actresses. The following year she received the Billboard Music Awards for Lifetime Achievement and a second most played artist in discos and clubs in 2002. The club single Love One Another was nominated for a Grammy in 2004 .
In 2002, Cher decided to say goodbye to the audience for the time being with a final farewell tour . This earned her the Emmy Award for Best Live Program. The tour ended on April 30, 2005 after 325 performances worldwide (3 million visitors) with record revenues of over 250 million US dollars. According to the 2007 Guinness Book of Records, the concert tour was the most successful tour by a female artist to date. On April 8, 2003, NBC aired the Farewell Tour, which was watched by 16.6 million viewers, for the first time in the United States. In 2005, Cher was honored for Lifetime Achievement at the MTV Australia Video Music Awards after her Farewell Tour broke all sales records in Australia that same year. Since 2007, Cher has been the only Western woman in Madame Tussauds Hong Kong's top 10 Hong Kong glamor, and she is also present in London , Las Vegas , New York and Washington, DC .
In July 2007, Cher announced in Chrome-Hearts magazine that she was working on a new album again, but then postponed the plans until further notice.
2008–2011: Las Vegas show, film projects
From May 6, 2008 to February 5, 2011 Cher was seen live in the 4,300-seat Colosseum of Caesars Palace in Las Vegas in almost 200 shows of her show Cher at the Colosseum . For her commitment, she is said to have received over $ 200 million from sales of tickets and merchandise products.
For her lifetime achievements as a singer and actress, she was honored with the following awards in 2008 and 2010: Armenian Music Awards - Legend Award (2008), Glamor Women of the Year - Lifetime Achievement Award (2010), Grauman's Chinese Theater - Hand and Shoe prints (2010).
On September 12, 2010, Cher appeared as a laudator at the MTV Video Music Awards in Los Angeles to present Lady GaGa with the award for the best video of the year . She caused a stir as she appeared on stage in a similar scandalous sheer outfit as she wore in her 1989 video If I Could Turn Back Time .
Just in time for Thanksgiving 2010, the musical drama Burlesque was released in US cinemas, Germany, Austria and Switzerland followed suit on January 6, 2011. In the film, Cher plays the club owner Tess, whose burlesque theater is past its prime, but is finally regained by the young girl Ali, played by Christina Aguilera . Steven Antin directed the film. With the single You Haven't Seen The Last of Me , from the movie Burlesque , she reached number 1 on the Billboard Dance / Club Play charts on January 20, 2011 . In the same month the single won the Golden Globe and the Satellite Award for "Best Song". The hoped-for Oscar nomination for the song composed by Diane Warren did not materialize. In 2012 the song was nominated for a Grammy Award . Cher started working on a new solo album back in 2011.
In the movie Zookeeper (originally The Zookeeper ) Cher next took Kevin James in the lead role, Sylvester Stallone as a lion and Adam Sandler as a monkey, the synchronization of a lioness. The film was released in US theaters on July 8, 2011.
2013 to 2017: musical comeback, tour and other projects
Her mother Georgia Holt's album Honky Tonk Woman , which was released on April 30, 2013, contains a duet by the two titled I'm Just Your Yesterday , and she can be heard partially in the background on the song "Cryin 'Time" . Cher was also involved in the production of the country album. Family History one produced by Cher TV documentary was released to coincide with the title Dear Mom, Love Cher (dt. Dear Mom, with love Cher ) that is offered online for download since 24 September, 2013.
Cher celebrated a comeback in the pop scene with her 26th studio album Closer to the Truth , which was released on September 24, 2013. The lead single Woman's World was released on June 18, 2013, I Hope You Find It followed on October 4. The songs Take It Like a Man (November 8, 2013) and I Walk Alone (April 25, 2014) were also released as singles and remix EPs.
Since March 22, 2014, Cher has been on her Dressed to Kill Tour through North America. There she gave a total of 49 concerts that grossed almost $ 55 million. After the great success, Cher announced that the tour would be extended by 14 concerts for the time being. Shortly before the start of the concerts, Cher had to postpone them due to a viral infection. In the end, the rest of the tour had to be canceled, which Cher himself regretted very much.
For this she was spotted with fashion designer Marc Jacobs at the Met Gala in 2015 and shortly afterwards the label announced that Cher would be part of its fall / winter 2015 campaign. In addition, she celebrated her 50th anniversary as a singer in the same year and continued the work on her musical, which she had started in 2012. The musical is about their life and is divided into their personalities in three phases of life. Cher himself does not appear in the musical, but indicated that he would produce a new album. In September 2017, it was announced that The Cher Show will be staging for one month in Chicago from June 12, 2018, and on Broadway from Fall 2018 .
2018–2019: Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again, Dancing Queen and world tour
In the fall of 2017, Cher took part in the filming of the ABBA musical sequel Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again , which hit theaters in July 2018. In it she plays the grandmother of the main role Sophia, Ruby Sheridan, and takes over, among others , the lead vocals in the cover version of the ABBA hit Fernando , supported by Andy García . The single debuted at number 22 on the Billboard Adult Contemporary chart. On May 7, 2018, it was announced that Cher would go on tour with twelve planned concerts in Australia and New Zealand in September and October 2018 . The Here We Go Again tour began on September 21, 2018 in Auckland , New Zealand. It was the first time in 13 years that the singer had toured these territories. Also in summer 2018, she announced on the social network Twitter that she would be releasing a new album in September 2018. This album, consisting of covers of ABBA songs, was released on September 28, 2018 under the title Dancing Queen and was Cher's first album in five years.
The lead single Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight) was pre-released digitally on August 9th of the same year. The second single, SOS , was also released digitally exactly two weeks later, on August 23, 2018.
The Here We Go Again tour was extended well into 2019. In autumn 2019, after a break of fifteen years, five concerts took place in Germany (Berlin, Munich, Cologne, Mannheim and Hamburg).
In 2002 Forbes Magazine and Rolling Stone Magazine estimated Cher's net worth at over $ 600 million, making her one of the richest artists in the world alongside Madonna , Celine Dion and Mariah Carey . In addition to her villas in Malibu ($ 45 million), Miami ($ 12.9 million) and Aspen ($ 2.5 million), Cher owns an apartment in West Hollywood ($ 4.5 million) and London , and properties in France and New Zealand ; a total of over 20 properties. In 2006 she auctioned clothes and furniture from her villa in Malibu; that made her $ 3.5 million. In 2004 she bought a villa in Palm Springs for $ 650,000 and completely remodeled it according to her own ideas. In 2007 she sold the villa for $ 2.5 million. Her art collection is valued at $ 192.5 million and her net worth is $ 620 million.
Music fees since 2000:
- Longest range of number 1 hits in the United States ( I Got You Babe , 1965 - Believe , 1998).
- Longest span between top 3 albums in the US ( Look at Us , 1965 - Dancing Queen , 2018)
- She was on the cover of People Magazine 21 times .
→ See also: Sonny and Cher / Discography
- 1965: Wild on the Beach (Director: Maury Dexter)
- 1967: Good Times (Director: William Friedkin )
- 1969: Chastity (Director: Alessio de Paola)
- 1982: Come Back, Jimmy Dean ( Come Back to the Five and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean , directed by Robert Altman )
- 1983: Silkwood (Director: Mike Nichols )
- 1985: The Mask ( Mask , Director: Peter Bogdanovich )
- 1987: The Witches of Eastwick ( The Witches of Eastwick , directed by George Miller )
- 1987: Suspect ( Suspect , directed by Peter Yates )
- 1987 Mondsüchtig ( Moon Struck , directed by Norman Jewison )
- 1990: Mermaids Kiss Better ( Mermaids , Director: Richard Benjamin )
- 1996: The Wedding Day ( Faithful , directed by Paul Mazursky )
- 1999: Tea with Mussolini ( Tea with Mussolini , Director: Franco Zeffirelli )
- 2003: Inseparable ( Stuck on You , short appearance, directed by Bobby Farrelly )
- 2010: Burlesque (Director: Steven Antin)
- 2011: Der Zoowärter ( The Zookeeper , speaking role, director: Frank Coraci )
- 2018: Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again (Director: Ol Parker )
- 1996: House of Silent Screams (If These Walls Could Talk, also directed)
- 1971: The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour
- 1978: Cher ... Special
- 1979: Cher & Other Fantasies
- 1990: Cher ... at the Mirage
- 1999: Cher: Live in Concert from Las Vegas
- 2003: Cher: The Farewell Tour
- 2013: Dear Mom, Love Cher
- 1970-1971: The Sonny and Cher Nitty Gritty Hour
- 1971–1974: The Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour
- 1975-1976: The Cher Show
- 1976-1977: The Sonny and Cher Show
- 1991: Cher Fitness - The New Body Feeling ( CherFitness: A New Attitude )
- 1992: Cher Fitness - The New Body Awareness ( CherFitness: Body Confidence )
- 1982: Come Back to the 5 & Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean (February 18 to April 4, Martin Beck Theater, New York City )
Tours and concert series
|year||title||Number of shows||Gross profit||Continents||Publication format (s)|
|1979-1982||Take Me Home Tour||24||unknown||North America , Europe , Australia|
|A Celebration at Caesar's Palace||125|
|1989-1990||Heart of Stone Tour||72||$ 40 million||North America, Europe, Australia||
VHS , Laserdisc , DVD
( Extravaganza: Live at the Mirage )
|1991-1992||Love Hurts Tour||24||$ 45 million||North America, Europe|
|1999-2000||Do you believe? trip||121||$ 160 million||North America, Europe,||VHS, DVD
( Live in Concert )
|2002-2005||Living Proof: The Farewell Tour||325||$ 260 million||North America, Europe, Oceania ,||VHS, DVD, CD
( The Farewell Tour )
|2008-2011||Cher at the Colosseum||192||$ 97.4 million||North America|
|2014||Dressed to Kill Tour||49||$ 55 million||North America|
|2017-2020||Classic Cher||102||$ 41 million||North America|
|2018-2019||Here We Go Again Tour||82||Australia , North America, Europe|
|1984||Nominated||"The best supporting actress"||Silkwood|
|1988||Won||"Best main actress"||Moonstruck|
|1966||Nominated||"Best New Artist"||Sonny & Cher|
|1972||Nominated||"Best female pop vocal performance"||Gypsys, Tramps & Thieves|
|1972||Nominated||"Best pop performance by a duo or a group with singing"||All I Ever Need Is You|
|2000||Nominated||"Single of the year"||Believe|
|2000||Nominated||"Best Pop Singing Album"||Believe|
|2000||Won||"Best Dance Recording"||Believe|
|2004||Nominated||"Best Dance Recording"||Love One Another|
|1972||Nominated||"Outstanding Variety Series - Musical"||The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour|
|1972||Nominated||"Outstanding individual show - variety or musical"||The Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour|
|1973||Nominated||"Outstanding Musical Variety Series"||The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour|
|1974||Nominated||"Outstanding Variety Music Series"||The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour|
|1975||Nominated||"Outstanding Comedy Variety or Music Series"||The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour|
|2000||Nominated||"Outstanding individual performance in a variety show or music show"||Cher: Live in Concert|
|2003||Won||"Outstanding variety, music or comedy special"||Cher - The Farewell Tour|
|Hollywood Walk of Fame|
|1999||Honor||"Watch TV"||successful television career in the 1970s|
|Golden Globe Award|
|1974||Won||"Best Actress in a Series - Comedy or Musical"||The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour|
|1983||Nominated||"The best supporting actress"||Come Back to the Five and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean|
|1984||Won||"The best supporting actress"||Silkwood|
|1986||Nominated||"Best Actress - Drama"||The mask|
|1988||Won||"Best Actress - Comedy or Musical"||Moonstruck|
|1997||Nominated||"Best Supporting Actress - Series, Miniseries or TV Movie"||House of Mute Screams|
|Cannes International Film Festival|
|1985||Won||"Best Actress"||The mask|
|Berlin International Film Festival|
|1996||Nominated||"Best movie"||Faithful - The wedding day|
|World Music Award|
|1999||Honor||"World Music Legend"||Life's work|
|2001||Won||"Best International Singer"||-|
|1991||Won||"Best International Artist"||-|
|1993||Nominated||"Best International Artist"||-|
|2000||Won||"Best International Artist"||-|
|Billboard Music Awards|
|2000||Won||"Artist of the Year"||Believe|
|2000||Won||"Disco Artist of the Year"||Believe|
|2003||Won||"Disco Artist of the Year"||Living proof|
|2017||Honor||Icon Award||Life's work|
|Women's World Awards|
|2004||Honor||"As one of the most successful singers and actresses of all time"|
|MTV Australia Video Music Awards|
|GLAAD Media Awards|
|David di Donatello|
|1988||Won||"Best Foreign Actress"||Moonstruck|
|1985||Nominated||"The best supporting actress"||Silkwood|
|1989||Nominated||"Best main actress"||Moonstruck|
|2011||Nominated||"Worst Supporting Actress"||Burlesque|
|2010||Honor||"Lifetime Achievement"||Life's work|
|Armenian Music Awards|
|2008||Honor||"Living legend"||Life's work|
- 2018: Kennedy Prize
After Cher for four years in a worldwide campaign for the fate of himself Kaavan , one originally from Sri Lanka coming elephants had made, it was on 4 September 2020 Marghazar Zoo in Pakistan by Amir Khalil and Frank Goeritz from the Leibniz Institute for Zoo - and wildlife research (IZW) examined by a veterinarian and approved for relocation to an elephant sanctuary. He was relocated at the end of November 2020.
- Peter Lanz: Cher - The biography . Hannibal Verlag, Höfen 2013, ISBN 978-3-85445-420-5
- Josiah Howard: Cher - Up Close! U-Books, Mossautal 2012, ISBN 978-3-939239-45-1 .
- Peter Lanz: Cher - a woman prevails. Lübbe, Bergisch Gladbach 1989, ISBN 3-404-61159-4 .
- J. Randy Taraborrelli: Cher - your films - your life. Heyne, Munich 1989, ISBN 3-453-03774-X .
- Peter Wagner: Cher, Believe in Love! Ideal, Hamburg 1999, ISBN 3-932912-19-5 .
- Cher and Jeff Coplon: The First Time. Time Warner, 2000, ISBN 0-7515-2852-8 . (English)
- Mary Anne Cassata: The Cher Scrapbook. Citadel Press, 2003, ISBN 0-8065-2343-3 . (English)
- Mark Bego: Cher: If You Believe. Taylor Trade Publishing, 2004, ISBN 1-58979-135-5 . (English)
- Official website
- Literature by and about Cher in the catalog of the German National Library
- Cher in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- “At some point I was no longer embarrassed” , interview and commented photo series, one day , September 27, 2018
- Phill Marder: Rock Hall of Fame would be a lot sunnier with Cher . In: gold mine . F + W Media . November 15, 2010. Retrieved November 11, 2012.
- Cher, 64, makes a statement in a see-through top and slashed leggings , dailymail.co.uk. November 12, 2010.
- Cher gets ready to Turn Back Time ( Memento from March 5, 2008 in the Internet Archive )
- Oprah press release, Cher and Sonny and Cher sales ( Memento of May 2, 2008 in the Internet Archive )
- Billboard Magazine.
- Cher's daughter officially a man. In: Focus Online . May 7, 2010, accessed April 1, 2016 .
- Cher's Religion and Political Views. Retrieved January 8, 2020 (American English).
- Mary E. Ladd: I Got You Babe: a retrospective (English)
- Cher and Jeff Coplon: The First Time. ISBN 0-7515-2852-8 .
- Jan Feddersen: Mama is a Rolling Stone. In: taz . June 2, 2004, accessed April 1, 2016 .
- Cher Magazine cover of the 70s.
- St. Petersburg Times
- Biographies Sonny and Cher on musicline.de ( Memento from March 14, 2017 in the Internet Archive )
- Cher's family retreat at ccakids.org
- Premiere Magazine's Power List # 1 Actresses (English)
- Diva Trivia ( Memento from October 12, 2007 in the Internet Archive )
- Oscar Fashion Show: These are the most beautiful Oscar dresses. In: RP Online . January 31, 2007, accessed April 1, 2016 .
- Cher Artist Bio and Lyrics ( Memento from May 2, 2008 in the Internet Archive ) (English)
- Cher - The ultimate Diva ( Memento from August 30, 2007 in the Internet Archive ) (English)
- Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum's 5 Most Beautiful Women of History (English)
- Natalie Zfat: Don't Call It a Comeback (English)
- Billboard: 1999 Year-End Chart-Toppers (English)
- ARD Olympic song
- Winners of the Women's World Awards
- Cher's NBC audience rate ( page no longer available , search in web archives )
- XM Nation Music Award (03.2005)
- News + Stars
- Music News ( Memento from December 5, 2007 in the Internet Archive )
- AEG Live ( Memento from February 10, 2008 in the Internet Archive )
- old star wants to know again: Cher pulls it back on stage. In: RP Online. February 8, 2008, accessed April 1, 2016 .
- Armenian Music Awards 2008 - Legend Award for Cher ( Memento from April 28, 2014 in the Internet Archive )
- - Legend Award for Cher ( Memento from November 13, 2010 in the Internet Archive )
- - Cher's hand and shoe prints
- Burlesque (2010) in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Billboard Magazine
- The Zookeeper_imdb_englisch
- Dear Mom, Love Cher - Official Website ( Memento of October 7, 2013 in the Internet Archive )
- Patrick Kevin Day: Cher to make live-TV comeback on 'The Voice' season finale. In: Los Angeles Times . June 10, 2013, accessed April 1, 2016 .
- Jesse Lawrence: Cher Tickets Down 6% For Second Leg Of Dressed To Kill Tour Article dated September 28, 2014, accessed July 16, 2018
- Keith Caulfield: Cher Tour Grosses $ 55 Million (So Far ) Article dated July 15, 2014, accessed September 15, 2018
- AEG Presents: CHER'S HUGELY SUCCESSFUL 'DRESSED TO KILL' TOUR ADDS 14 NEW DATES THIS FALL Article from 2014, accessed on July 16, 2018
- Eric Lacy: Cher cancels Dressed to Kill tour dates including Sunday's show in Metro Detroit Article dated November 21, 2014, accessed July 16, 2018
- Diana Swartz: Cher Cancels Remaining Tour Dates to Recover Article from November 20, 2014, accessed on July 16, 2018
- Alyssa Vingan Klein: Cher, Sofia Coppola and Winona Ryder Star in the Marc Jacobs Fall 2015 Campaign Article dated June 30, 2015, accessed on July 16, 2018
- David Browne: Why It Takes Three Actresses to Portray the Icon in 'The Cher Show' Musical (Engl.)
- Dylan Kickham: Cher teases new album article from August 17, 2016, accessed on July 16, 2018
- Elias Leight: 'The Cher Show' Debuts on Broadway in Fall 2018 Article dated September 28, 2017, accessed on July 16, 2018
- Keith Caulfield: Cher & Andy Garcia's Cover of ABBA's 'Fernando' Debuts on Adult Contemporary Chart Article dated July 3, 2018, accessed July 16, 2018
- Hilary Hughes: Cher Teases New Album For September Article dated July 1, 2018, accessed July 16, 2018
- Cher Biography in the Internet Movie Database
- Archived copy ( Memento of March 7, 2007 in the Internet Archive )
- millionaire.com: Interview
- Rollingstone.com: annual income
- Rollingstone.com: annual income
- People Weekly - 25 Years of Covers Cher has been on 21 covers ( Memento of April 10, 2007 in the Internet Archive )
- Lone elephant Kaavan is allowed to move from Pakistani zoo to nature reserve from July 18, 2020 in Nau.ch
- German veterinarian prepares elephant Kaavan for freedom from September 4, 2020 in Rnd.de
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Sarkisian, Cherilyn (maiden name); LaPiere Sarkesian Bono Allman, Cherilyn|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American singer and actress|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 20, 1946|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||El Centro , California, USA|