The Golden Raspberry ( English Golden Raspberry Award , shortly Razzie ) is a first time in 1981 award Negative - Film Award . The Razzie was created as a kind of anti- Oscar by the film buff John JB Wilson and is traditionally awarded in several, sometimes absurd categories for the worst performance of the film year on the evening before the Academy Awards. The winners trophy , almost worthless in material terms, consists of a plastic raspberry glued to a Super 8 film roll made of aluminum and coated with gold paint.
The award is named after the English phrase to blow a raspberry in the sense of "making a fart sound with the mouth" (literally "blowing a raspberry"). This originally comes from the Cockney rhyming slang , a London variety of English in which common words are replaced by rhyming words or phrases. So instead of fart (“fart”) it is called raspberry tart (“ raspberry tart ”), which in turn appears in abbreviated form to blow a raspberry . The gesture is considered an "expression of disapproval or contempt".
The award is backed by the Golden Raspberry Award Foundation (GRAF), which in 2007 included more than 750 film critics, journalists and filmmakers from 42 US states and more than twelve countries. The Munich Film Workshop nominates 50 people from Germany to take part in the vote.
The 38th Golden Raspberry Awards were on March 3, 2018 the eve of the Oscar ceremony , in California's Hollywood ( Los Angeles awarded). The 39th award ceremony took place on February 23, 2019. In 2020, the official award ceremony had to be canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic . The winners were announced on March 16 on YouTube .
- Worst movie
- Worst actor
- Worst actress
- Worst canvas pair
- Worst supporting actor
- Worst supporting actress
- Worst remake or sequel (see also: remake , prequel and sequel )
- Worst director
- Worst Screenplay - aka the Dishonorable Joe Eszterhas Screenplay Award
- Raspberry Redeemer Prize
Older and irregularly appearing categories
Categories awarded for a special occasion
- Worst Written Films That Grossed $ 100 Million: Twister - Michael Crichton & Anne-Marie Martin
- Most ruthless disregard for human life and public property: Awarded to Con Air in 1998
- Worst film trend of 1998: 58-year-old leading actors vying for 28-year-old leading actresses
- Most Farting Teenage Film: Awarded 2002 to Jackass: The Movie
- Worst substitute for a real movie (only concept and no content!): 2004 for Ein Kater macht Theater (The Cat-in-the-Hat)
- Most annoying target of the gossip press: Awarded 2006 to Tom Cruise , Katie Holmes , Oprah Winfrey's Couch, the Eiffel Tower and "Tom's Baby"
- Worst excuse for family entertainment: 2007 given to Die Chaoscamper
- Worst excuse for a horror movie: Awarded in 2008 to I Know Who Killed Me
- Worst prequel or sequel : awarded in 2007 , 2008 , 2009 and 2014
- Worst remake or cheapest copy : awarded in 2006 and 2007
- Worst use of 3D in a movie: Awarded 2011 to The Legend of Aang
- Special Rotten Tomatoes Award: The Razzie Nominee So Bad You Loved It !: 2018 awarded to Baywatch
- Worst reckless disregard for human life and the commons: Awarded 2020 to Rambo: Last Blood
Looking back over a decade, particularly bad films and filmmakers are awarded Golden Raspberries again, as happened in the 1980s , 1990s and 2000s . During the award ceremony for the Golden Raspberry 2000 , the worst actress and the worst actor of the century were chosen for the 20th century. On the occasion of the 25th anniversary of the Golden Raspberry, trophies for the worst in 25 years were presented at the 2005 awards ceremony . From 2015 the Razzie Redeemer Award ("Raspberry of Redemption") will be presented. This is awarded to an artist who was awarded the Golden Raspberry or was nominated for it and who later delivered a remarkable artistic achievement. It is not yet clear whether this category will be established permanently.
- The winners rarely accept the award in person: So far, Tom Green (Freddy Got Fingered) , Robert Conrad (Wild Wild West) , Showgirls director Paul Verhoeven , Halle Berry ( Catwoman ) and Sandra Bullock ( Crazy For ) have won Steve ) off their raspberries. Berry had already announced in an interview shortly before the 2005 award ceremony that she would pick up her prize if she won. She said: “If I get a raspberry, I'll definitely go to the awards. I think whoever goes to the Oscars should also come to the Razzies. ”In her speech at the awards ceremony, she poked fun at herself - referring to her acceptance speech at the 2002 Academy Awards.
- In 2012 Adam Sandler's film Jack and Jill received the most golden raspberries in the history of the award with ten pieces. The film was also the first to win in all categories to be awarded, replacing the previous record holder, Battlefield Earth , who received seven out of a possible nine awards at the Golden Raspberry 2001 , as well as a special award in 2005 and 2010.
IndieWire criticized the fact that the voting members of the Golden Raspberry Award Foundation did not have to see the respective films in order to be awarded the Golden Raspberry, and doubts their neutrality when voting. GQ magazine described the decisions on the awards as arbitrary and indiscriminate. The Daily Telegraph complained, among other things, that the same people and stereotypes are repeatedly awarded the Golden Raspberry.
- Official Homepage (English)
- Entire RAZZIE® History, Year-by-Year: 1980–2011 . (List of all awards since 1980; English)
- German-language database on the Golden Raspberry
- Press release of the Golden Raspberry Award Foundation on the Golden Raspberry 2007 ( Memento from February 28, 2012 in the Internet Archive ) In: razzies.com. (English).
- Raspberry. In: Merriam-Webster , accessed January 22, 2017.
- orf.at: Trumps for "Golden Raspberry" in the running . Article dated January 21, 2019, accessed January 21, 2019.
- Golden Raspberries 2019: Johnny Depp, John Travolta and Donald Trump have been nominated several times . Article dated January 21, 2019, accessed January 21, 2019.
- Kurier.de of March 15, 2020: Corona crisis award of the "Golden Raspberries" canceled , accessed on April 19, 2020
- 40th Razzie Awards: The Lock-Down Edition on YouTube , accessed November 8, 2020.
- 2003 RAZZIE® Nominees & "Winners". (No longer available online.) In: razzies.com. December 4, 2005, archived from the original on June 20, 2012 ; Retrieved January 9, 2013 .
- in Vanity Fair
- Adam Sandler sets a record of abject price . Mirror online