Kate Noelle "Katie" Holmes (born December 18, 1978 in Toledo , Ohio ) is an American actress , film director and producer . She became known in only her second television role as Joey Potter in the television series Dawson’s Creek . She starred in the movies Kill Mrs. Tingle! , Don't hang up! and Batman Begins , also in Arthur Miller's 2008 play All My Sons on Broadway .
life and career
Holmes was baptized a Catholic . She is the youngest daughter of Kathleen A. and Martin Joseph Holmes and has four siblings (three sisters and one brother). Her father is a divorce lawyer. She grew up in a suburb of Lucas County , Ohio. Her siblings are Tamera (* 1968), Holly Ann (* 1970), Martin (* 1970) and Nancy Kay (* 1975). Like her mother, she attended the Notre Dame Academy girls' school in Toledo, Ohio. At St. John's Jesuit , a neighboring boys' school, she appeared in various musicals, including as a waitress in Hello, Dolly! and as Lola in Damn Yankees .
At the age of 14, Holmes received lessons in a modeling school in Toledo. The director of the modeling school, Margaret O'Brien, registered her in a talent competition in 1996 that took her to New York City . During the competition, a talent scout became aware of Katie Holmes and invited her to audition in Los Angeles . In Los Angeles she got the small role of Libbets Casey in the 1997 Cannes film Der Eissturm (original title: The Ice Storm ) alongside Sigourney Weaver , Tobey Maguire , Elijah Wood and Christina Ricci . She then turned down the title role of Buffy Summers in Buffy the Vampire Slayer from high school, but later sent in a home video as an application for the role of Joey Potter in Dawson's Creek . The show's producer Paul Stupine later said when he saw the video he knew Katie Holmes was Joey Potter. In the series, which was produced between 1998 and 2003, Holmes received this role, which brought her breakthrough and international recognition.
In 2008, Holmes launched her first clothing line, Holmes & Yang , as a designer together with Jeanne Yang .
Holmes had her first leading role in the film Kill Mrs. Tingle! (1998), a thriller by Scream writer Kevin Williamson about three teenagers who are treated unfairly by their teacher. When they try to confront her, the situation escalates. Holmes received an MTV Movie Award for Best Newcomer for this role . Her own opinion of the film, however, was, "Just awful." In 1999, she played a disaffected supermarket clerk in Doug Liman's film Go . Go is an episode film that tells a story from three different perspectives. The connecting element is a drug deal, which starts harmlessly, but gets out of control due to the involvement of undercovercops, various gangsters and the inexperience of the main characters involved.
In The WonderBoys (2000), based on the novel of the same name by Michael Chabon , Holmes only had a small role (she was in the film for six and a half minutes). She played a talented student who chases after her professor Grady Tripp ( Michael Douglas ). In the movie The Gift (2000) she played the exact opposite of Joey Potter from Dawson's Creek, a rich girl who gets to bed with everyone - from a women-beating sociopath ( Keanu Reeves ) to a prosecutor ( Gary Cole ) to her later killer ( Greg Kinnear ). Directed by Sam Raimi , the leading actress was Cate Blanchett . In Abandon (2002), written by Oscar winner Stephen Gaghan , Holmes was a murderous college student named Katie . This film did not come to the cinema in Germany, it was only shown at Premiere .
In Don't hang up! Holmes played the lover of a windy businessman, played by Colin Farrell , in 2002 , and a nurse alongside Robert Downey Jr. and Mel Gibson in The Singing Detective in 2003 . She had her next leading role in Pieces of April - A Day with April Burns (2003), in which she was seen as a punk girl who gets a visit from her honest family on Thanksgiving . In First Daughter - Date with Obstacles (2004) she was the daughter of the President (other leading actors: Michael Keaton as her father and Marc Blucas as her bodyguard and admirer).
In 2005 she played the young prosecutor Rachel Dawes in Batman Begins , who has been a close friend of Bruce Wayne since she was a child. For this role she was nominated for the Saturn Award for best supporting actress, but at the same time also as worst supporting actress for a Golden Raspberry . In the sequel The Dark Knight , she no longer appeared, instead Maggie Gyllenhaal took over the role. In 2006, she starred in the film version of Christopher Buckley's satire Thank You for Smoking, a reporter who seduces a tobacco lobbyist (played by Aaron Eckhart ) in order to advance her own career.
In 2011, she starred in the television miniseries The Kennedys , the president's wife Jackie Kennedy . The show was controversial in the USA, the broadcast was rejected by several broadcasters. Still, the series won four Emmys, and Holmes received critical acclaim for her acting performance.
From November 2012 to January 2013 Holmes starred in Theresa Rebeck's play Dead Accountants on Broadway . The piece received mixed to poor reviews and was canceled in less than two months.
Her directorial debut All We Had (2016) premiered at the Tribeca Film Festival . She also produced the film drama in which she played the leading role as Rita Carmichael .
Holmes got engaged to longtime boyfriend Chris Klein in early 2004 , but separated from him the following year.
A few weeks later, in April 2005, she began a relationship with actor Tom Cruise, 16 years her senior . In June 2005, two months after the two met, Cruise Holmes proposed marriage. At the beginning of the relationship there was much speculation about whether the relationship was only staged for promotional purposes. She was later criticized for adopting the faith of her fiancé and future husband, who is an avowed Scientologist . Their daughter was born on April 18, 2006 in Los Angeles. On November 18, 2006, she married Cruise in Bracciano, Italy, in Castello Orsini-Odescalchi . The marriage was held according to a Scientology rite.
In June 2012, Holmes filed for divorce and sole custody of the daughter. According to information from Holmes' attorney Jonathan Wolfe, the two agreed on a divorce and Cruise's contact with their daughter in July 2012. The breakup of the Hollywood couple was accompanied by great interest and speculation in the media.
Evidence suggests that Holmes is now back to the Roman Catholic Church .
In 2017 it became public that Holmes is now in a relationship with actor Jamie Foxx . The first rumors about this had already been heard in 2013, but were denied, presumably because a clause in the divorce contract had banned a public relationship for five years. Their separation became known in August 2019.
- 1997: The Ice Storm (The Ice Storm)
- 1998–2003: Dawson's Creek (TV series, 128 episodes)
- 1998: We'll get you too! (Disturbing Behavior)
- 1999: Go! Life doesn't start until 3:00 a.m. (Go)
- 1999: Kill Mrs. Tingle! (Teaching Mrs. Tingle)
- 1999: Muppets from Space (Muppets from Space)
- 2000: The Gift - The Phantom gift (The Gift)
- 2000: The WonderBoys (Wonder Boys)
- 2002: Abandon - A Murderous Game (Abandon)
- 2003: The Singing Detective
- 2003: Don't hang up! (Phone booth)
- 2003: Pieces of April - A Day with April Burns (Pieces of April)
- 2004: First Daughter - Date with Obstacles (First Daughter)
- 2005: Batman Begins
- 2005: Thank You for Smoking
- 2008: Mad Money
- 2008: Eli Stone (TV series, episode 2x02)
- 2010: The Last Gentleman (The Extra Man)
- 2010: The Romantics
- 2011: A Cop with a Dark Past - The Son of No One (The Son of No One)
- 2011: The Kennedys ( The Kennedys , miniseries, 8 episodes)
- 2011: Jack and Jill (Jack and Jill)
- 2011: Don't Be Afraid of the Dark
- 2011–2013: How I Met Your Mother (TV series, 2 episodes)
- 2013: Football - big game with little heroes (Metegol, speaking role)
- 2014: Days and Nights
- 2014: Miss Meadows - Revenge is Sweet (Miss Meadows)
- 2014: Keepers of Memory - The Giver (The Giver)
- 2015: Woman in Gold (Woman in gold)
- 2015: Touched with Fire
- 2015: Ray Donovan (TV series, 11 episodes)
- 2016: All We Had ( All We Had also direction and production)
- 2017: The Kennedys: After Camelot ( The Kennedys: After Camelot , miniseries)
- 2017: Dear Dictator
- 2017: Logan Lucky
- 2018: Ocean's 8
- 2020: Brahms: The Boy 2 ( The Boy II )
- 2020: The Secret - Trust to dream you ( The Secret: Dare to Dream )
- 1998: The Flys: Got You (Where I Want You)
- 1999: Eve 6 : Tongue Tied
- Katie Holmes at the Internet Movie Database (English)
- ^ Katie Holmes Awards. In: IMDb. Retrieved June 19, 2020 .
- ↑ Katie Holmes gets out of "The Dark Knight". ( Memento of the original from September 27, 2007 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. In: batmannews.de , January 26, 2007.
- ↑ Alexander Krei: From the end of July: Arte shows the miniseries "The Kennedys". In: DWDL.de . June 1, 2012, accessed December 30, 2012 .
- ^ TV series "The Kennedys" with Katie Holmes on Arte. In: The time. July 25, 2012, accessed June 19, 2020 .
- ^ Erik Piepenburg: 'Dead Accounts' to Close on Broadway. In: The New York Times . December 27, 2012, accessed December 30, 2012 .
- ↑ Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes are getting divorced. In: Welt Online , June 29, 2012.
- ↑ dpa-info.com GmbH: Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise are getting divorced. In: welt.de . July 1, 2012, accessed October 7, 2018 .
- ↑ ps / dpa: Cruise and Holmes do not want a war of the roses: agreed on divorce and signed papers. In: Focus Online . July 9, 2012, accessed October 14, 2018 .
- ^ Alan Duke: Tom Cruise, Katie Holmes 'amicably' settle divorce, attorney says - CNN. In: edition.cnn.com. July 9, 2012, accessed February 3, 2019 .
- ↑ dpa / fp: Divorce: Cruise and Holmes sign separation paper. In: welt.de . July 9, 2012, accessed October 7, 2018 .
- ^ Katie Holmes Returns To Catholic Church. In: Huffington Post. July 11, 2012, accessed February 3, 2019 .
- ↑ Katie Holmes and Jamie Foxx reveal their 'secret' love. In: dailymail.co.uk. September 6, 2017. Retrieved September 17, 2017 .
- ↑ Katie Holmes Liebesaus after six years. Retrieved April 18, 2020 .
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Holmes, Kate Noelle (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American actress, film director and producer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 18, 1978|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Toledo , Ohio , United States|