Farrell was born the youngest of four children to Rita and Eamon Farrell. His father was a football player for the Shamrock Rovers in the 1960s . Farrell's brother Eamon Jr. runs an acting school, the National Performing Arts School, in Dublin.
Colin Farrell attended an acting class at the National Performing Arts School. His brother Eamon took over the tuition costs. The older sister Catherine is also an actress, his sister Claudine was Farrell's personal assistant until 2005.
In 1996, Farrell followed his sister Catherine to the Gaiety School of Drama and made his screen debut as an extra in the low-budget film In Search of Finbar with Jonathan Rhys Meyers in the lead role. During his time at Gaiety School, Farrell also appeared in Owen McPolin's Drinking Crude , a drama about growing up. In the summer of 1996 he stood in front of the camera for the four-part mini-series Falling for a Dancer , which tells the fate of an Irish girl in the 1930s. Farrell made a living during this time by appearing in commercials.
His breakthrough came Farrell in summer 1998 with the role of the autistic boy Richard Delamere in the play In A Little World Of Our Own by Gary Mitchell , which in London's Donmar Warehouse was performed. In the audience sat the American film actor and director Kevin Spacey , who was so enthusiastic about Farrell's performance that he hired him for his film A Quite Ordinary Thief - Ordinary Decent Criminal . Even before this film hit theaters, Farrell starred in Tim Roth's The War Zone alongside Ray Winstone and Tilda Swinton . This was followed by roles in the miniseries David Copperfield with Maggie Smith and Ian McKellen and as Danny Byrne in Ballykissangel , his scenes in "David Copperfield", however, were not included in the editing.
Colin Farrell moved to Los Angeles to pursue his acting career. With the help of his agent Lisa Richards, he was accepted into the Creative Artists Agency, which is considered one of the most influential agencies in Hollywood. Director Joel Schumacher gave Farrell the lead role in his low-budget film Tigerland . Farrell has received critical acclaim for his portrayal of the insubordinate soldier Roland Bozz, who refuses to submit to the authorities, and has received several awards for best actor and newcomer (including the Boston Society of Film Critics Award and the London Critics Circle Film Award ). From then on, Farrell was considered one of the most talented young actors in Hollywood . He also played on the side of Bruce Willis in the film The Tribunal . A few days after the end of filming, Farrell was hired by director Steven Spielberg as an opponent of Tom Cruise in Minority Report . For Farrell this film was the final breakthrough; in 2003 he acted in six films.
The first thing that came to cinemas was Die Einsatz , in which Farrell plays a young CIA agent who is guided through intensive psychological training by his mentor ( Al Pacino ) in order to then unmask a mole within his own ranks. This was followed by the comic book adaptation of Daredevil with Ben Affleck in the lead role and Farrell as the villain Bullseye. Don't hang up on the thriller ! , in which he played the lead role of Stu Shepard, as well as in the biographical drama The Journalist About Veronica Guerin (played by Cate Blanchett ), Farrell worked again with Joel Schumacher.
The independent project A Home at World's End by Michael Mayer (with Sissy Spacek ) was more tolerated than respected in the United States because of its homosexual content. In 2004 Farrell played the title role in Oliver Stone's film Alexander . Farrell worked with introverted director Terrence Malick for The New World - a film about the history of the first settlers on the American continent and also a love story between the mercenary John Smith (Farrell) and ' Pocahontas ' ( Q'orianka Kilcher ). In Robert Towne's film Ask the Dust , based on a novel by John Fante , Farrell played the hungry young author Arturo Bandini, who went to Los Angeles in the 1930s to write a bestseller and find his dream woman. There he meets Camilla, a Mexican who hopes for a better life - the two fall in love. The film The Law of Honor by director Gavin O'Connor was Farrell's first project after his rehab in August 2006. He plays the cop Jimmy Egan alongside Edward Norton . The drama tells the story of a corrupt police family from New York who is embroiled in a scandal.
In the fall of 2006, Cassandra's dream of Woody Allen was completed. In the film, Farrell plays alongside Ewan McGregor as one of two brothers from the London working class who are drifting into crime. Three years later he was seen in Bruges for his lead role ... and die? (2008) received a Golden Globe Award for best comedy actor.
In September 2014, Farrell announced that he would play a role in the second season of the HBO series True Detective . In August 2015 it was announced that Farrell would slip into the role of the magician Graves in the Harry Potter spinoff Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by David Yates .
2017 he received the award of the Golden Camera as Best Actor International
On July 17, 2001, Farrell married Amelia Warner , then 19 , and the divorce followed in November 2001.
In 2003 his first son was born, who lives with his mother, US model Kim Bordenave, in New York. In the same year, Farrell and his ex-girlfriend, US model Nicole Narain , made a private sex video . This video was circulated on the Internet despite legal interventions on Farrell's side.
In 2009 his second son was born, whose mother is the Polish actress and singer Alicja Bachleda-Curuś . She and Farrell met on the set of the film "Ondine" they made together in late 2008 and became a couple. Their split became known in October 2010.
In the early 2000s, Farell suffered from heavy alcohol and drug use before going to rehab in 2006. In April 2018, it was revealed that Farrell had re-admitted himself to a drug rehab.
- 1996: Ballykissangel (TV series)
- 1997: Drinking Crude
- 1998: Falling for a Dancer (TV series)
- 1999: The War Zone
- 1999: Love in the 21st Century (TV series)
- 2000: Ordinary Decent Criminal (Ordinary Decent Criminal)
- 2000: Tigerland
- 2001: American Outlaws
- 2002: The Tribunal (Hart's War)
- 2002: Minority Report
- 2002: Don't hang up! (Phone booth)
- 2003: The use (The Recruit)
- 2003: Daredevil
- 2003: The Journalist (Veronica Guerin)
- 2003: SWAT - The Special Forces (SWAT)
- 2003: intermission
- 2003: A Home at the End of the World (A Home at the End of the World)
- 2004: Alexander
- 2004: Scrubs ( Scrubs , TV series, episode 4x14)
- 2005: The New World
- 2006: Ask the Dust
- 2006: Miami Vice
- 2007: Cassandra's Dream (Cassandra's Dream)
- 2008: see Bruges ... and die? (In Bruges)
- 2008: Kicking It
- 2008: The Law of Honor (Pride and Glory)
- 2009: triage
- 2009: The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus)
- 2009: Crazy Heart
- 2009: Ondine - The Girl from the Sea (Ondine)
- 2010: The Way Back - The Long Road (The Way Back)
- 2010: London Boulevard
- 2011: Kill the Boss (Horrible Bosses)
- 2011: Fright Night
- 2012: Total Recall
- 2012: 7 Psychos (Seven Psychopaths)
- 2013: Dead Man Down
- 2013: Epic - Hidden Kingdom ( Epic , voice)
- 2013: Saving Mr. Banks
- 2014: Winter's Tale
- 2014: Miss Julie (Miss Julie)
- 2015: True Detective (TV series)
- 2015: The Lobster
- 2015: Providence (Solace)
- 2016: Fantastic Beasts and where to find them (Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them)
- 2017: The Killing of a Sacred Deer
- 2017: The seduced (The Beguiled)
- 2017: Roman J. Israel, Esq. - The truth and nothing but the truth (Roman J. Israel, Esq.)
- 2018: Widows - Deadly widows (Widows)
- 2019: Dumbo
- 2019: The Gentlemen
- 2020: Artemis Fowl
- Miriam Coleman: Colin Farrell Confirms That He's Joining the Cast of 'True Detective'. In: Rolling Stone. BuzzFeed , September 21, 2014, accessed September 22, 2014 .
- Colin Farrell signs up for Harry Potter spin-off In: denofgeek.com. Retrieved August 7, 2015.
- Sex tape: Colin Farrell reaches an agreement with his ex-girlfriend. ORF , archived from the original on July 12, 2012 ; Retrieved December 27, 2010 .
- Colin Farrell: Second son born. Gala , November 2, 2009, accessed November 2, 2009 .
- Colin and Alicja split up. Shortnews.de, October 14, 2010, accessed on October 21, 2010 .
- Relapse or prevention? Colin Farrell goes into rehab. Retrieved April 12, 2018 .
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Farrell, Colin James (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Irish actor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 31, 1976|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Castleknock|