Michael Kirk Douglas (born September 25, 1944 in New Brunswick , New Jersey ) is an American actor , film producer and Oscar , Golden Globe and Emmy award winner. He is one of the leading character actors in Hollywood .
Childhood and first appearances
Michael Douglas attended Eaglebrook School in Deerfield, Massachusetts . After studying at the University of California, Santa Barbara , Douglas moved to New York in the mid- 1960s , where he trained as an actor and director at the Neighborhood Playhouse and the American Place Theater . In 1969 Douglas gave in Hail, Hero! his big screen debut, for which he was nominated for a Golden Globe Award as Best Newcomer received.
As the producer of the film One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest , he was awarded an Oscar for best film in 1975 . Kirk Douglas had originally acquired the rights to bring the novel of the same name to the stage and film it. Kirk Douglas, who had played the lead role in the premiere of the play in 1963 , had however failed to get a film studio enthusiastic about a production. He finally left the film rights to his son, who filmed this film with Saul Zaentz . The production was carried out with Fantasy Films , which had a distribution agreement with United Artists . The film received a number of awards, including the Oscars in the five most important categories - the so-called Big Five .
Michael Douglas made his breakthrough as an actor on the side of Karl Malden with the television series The Streets of San Francisco (1972-77), in which he could be seen from the beginning to 1976 as Insp. Steve Heller. For this he was awarded three Emmys . This was followed by roles in the successful films The China Syndrome , On the Hunt for the Green Diamond and On the Hunt for the Jewel of the Nile , which were also produced by Douglas.
In 1988 he received an Acting Oscar for Wall Street . A year later he founded the production company Stonebridge Entertainment , which he renamed Douglas-Reuther Productions in 1994 . In the early 1990s , Douglas made an image change. Rather light comedies such as On the Hunt for the Jewel of the Nile or The War of the Roses were followed by increasingly controversial films such as Basic Instinct , David Fincher's The Game , Falling Down - A normal day or Traffic - Power of the cartel , which he received a lot of critical acclaim and also brought commercial success.
In October 1997 the British edition of Empire Magazine voted Douglas 74th of the "100 Greatest Actors of All Time". Michael Douglas is the only one next to Laurence Olivier who has both an Oscar for leading actor ( Wall Street ) and for the best film ( One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest ). In 2008 Douglas received the American Film Institute's Lifetime Achievement Award at the age of 64 after his father Kirk had received the same honor eighteen years earlier. This award was presented on June 11, 2009 in Los Angeles . The title role in Steven Soderbergh's television film Liberace (2013) earned Douglas an Emmy and a Golden Globe Award . Douglas received another Golden Globe Award in early January 2019 for his performance in the Netflix series The Kominsky Method .
Douglas was married to Diandra Luker from 1977 to 2000. They have a son ( Cameron , * 1978). Douglas married actress Catherine Zeta-Jones on November 18, 2000 . With her he has a son (* 2000) and a daughter (* 2003).
In 2010 Douglas announced that he had cancer. It was advanced-stage tongue cancer . Douglas underwent radiation and chemotherapy . In 2011, Douglas announced that the tumor had completely disappeared.
German dubbing voice
Since The Streets of San Francisco , Douglas has been dubbed almost without exception by Volker Brandt . When the Golden Camera was awarded in 1990 , Brandt even spoke live for Michael Douglas, and the two actors have been in good contact ever since.
- 1966: Cast A Giant Shadow (Cast a Giant Shadow)
- 1969: CBS Playhouse (TV series, episode 2x03 The Experiment )
- 1969: Hail, Hero!
- 1971: Summertree
- 1972: Escape to the Wild (Napoleon and Samantha)
- 1972: Nightfall - Voices of Fear (When Michael calls)
- 1972-1977: The Streets of San Francisco ( The Streets of San Francisco , television series)
- 1975: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest ( One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest , producer)
- 1978: Coma
- 1979: The China Syndrome ( The China Syndrome , also producer)
- 1979: Running
- 1983: A judge sees red (The Star Chamber)
- 1984: On the hunt for the green diamond ( Romancing the Stone , also producer)
- 1985: A Chorus Line
- 1985: The Jewel of the Nile ( The Jewel of the Nile , also producer)
- 1987: Wall Street
- 1987: A Fatal Affair (Fatal Attraction)
- 1989: Black Rain
- 1989: The War of the Roses (The War of the Roses)
- 1992: Like a Light in a Dark Night (Shining Through)
- 1992: Basic Instinct
- 1993: Falling Down (Falling Down)
- 1994: Unveiling (Disclosure)
- 1995: Hello, Mr. President (The American President)
- 1996: The Ghost and the Darkness ( The Ghost and the Darkness , also producer)
- 1997: The Game
- 1998: A Perfect Murder (A Perfect Murder)
- 2000: The WonderBoys (Wonder Boys)
- 2000: Traffic - Power of the Cartel (Traffic)
- 2001: One Night at McCool's (One Night at McCool's)
- 2001: do not say a word (Do not Say a Word)
- 2002: Will & Grace (TV series, episode 4x22 Fagel Attraction )
- 2003: The In-Laws (The In-Laws)
- 2003: Keeping it in the family (It Runs in the Family)
- 2005: The Ride Down to Mt. Morgan
- 2006: The Sentinel - Who Can You Trust? (The Sentinel)
- 2006: You, Me and Dupree (You, Me and Dupree)
- 2007: King of California
- 2009: Solitary Man
- 2009: The Womanizer - The Night of Ex-Girlfriends (The Ghost of Girlfriends Past)
- 2009: Beyond a Reasonable Doubt (Beyond a Reasonable Doubt)
- 2010: Wall Street : Money Never Sleeps (Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps)
- 2012: Haywire
- 2013: Liberace - Too much of a good is wonderful (Behind the Candelabra)
- 2013: Last Vegas
- 2014: That Borders Love (And So It Goes)
- 2014: The Reach: Beyond the Reach
- 2015: Ant-Man
- 2017: Unlocked
- 2017: Flatliners
- 2018: Animal World
- 2018: Ant-Man and the Wasp
- 2018: The Kominsky Method (TV series)
- since 2019: Green Egg with Bacon ( Green Eggs and Ham , TV series, voice)
- 2019: Avengers: Endgame
- 1975 and 1976: Golden Bravo Otto in the category "Male TV Star"
- 1976: Oscar in the “Best Film” category as a producer for One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
- 1988: Oscar and Golden Globe Awards for Best Actor and Best Actor - Drama for Wall Street
- 1989: Jupiter in the category "Best Actor"
- 2009: American Film Institute Award for Lifetime Achievement
- 2010: Golden Icon Award of the Zurich Film Festival for life's work
- 2013: Emmy in the category “Best Actor in a Mini-Series or TV Movie” for Liberace - Too much of a good thing is wonderful
- 2014: Golden Globe Award in the “Best Actor - Mini-Series or TV Movie” category for Liberace - Too much of a good thing is wonderful
- 2018: Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame
- 2019: Golden Globe Award in the category "Best Series Lead Actor - Comedy or Musical" for The Kominsky Method
- Marc Eliot: Michael Douglas. The biography. LangenMüller, Munich 2014, ISBN 978-3-7844-3350-9 .
- Adolf Heinzlmeier : Michael Douglas. Rastatt 1990, ISBN 3-8118-3060-0 .
- Annene Kaye, Jim Sclavunos: Michael Douglas. The life of the famous Hollywood star. Lübbe, Bergisch Gladbach 1989, ISBN 3-404-61167-5 .
- Hans-Christian Mennenga: Preoedipal heroes. Newer masculinity schemes in Hollywood movies. The characters of Michael Douglas and Tom Cruise. transcript Verlag, Bielefeld 2011, ISBN 978-3-8376-1797-9 .
- Norbert Stresau : Michael Douglas. His films - his life. 2nd updated edition. Heyne, Munich 1994, ISBN 3-453-07877-2 .
- Michael Douglas in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Michael Douglas at AllMovie (English)
- Michael Douglas at Moviepilot
- Michael Douglas in the German dubbing file
- Literature by and about Michael Douglas in the catalog of the German National Library
- Michael Douglas: Prize for Lifetime Achievement. In: fr-online.de . October 6, 2008, accessed December 19, 2014 .
- cf. McNary, Dave: AFI fetes Douglas . In: Daily Variety , October 6, 2008, p. 05
- Michael Douglas: Larynx cancer was a lie. focus.de from October 13, 2013
- Michael Douglas, cancer patient: "Just hug me". In: Spiegel Online . September 1, 2010, accessed December 19, 2014 .
- Michael Douglas in a TV interview: "I defeated the tumor" Spiegel Online
- German dubbing files: Michael Douglas. Retrieved September 17, 2019 .
- ZDF: Report on Volker Brandt. Retrieved September 17, 2019 .
- Awards for Michael Douglas. imdb.com, accessed January 7, 2010 .
- Golden Icon for Michael Douglas ( Memento from September 25, 2010 in the Internet Archive ) Zurich Film Festival, accessed on October 4, 2010.
- Michael Douglas | Hollywood Walk of Fame. Retrieved November 7, 2018 (American English).
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Demsky, Michael Issurovitch (maiden name); Douglas, Michael Kirk|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American actor and producer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 25, 1944|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||New Brunswick , New Jersey|