Berlin International Film Festival 1996
The president of the international jury this year was the Russian director Nikita Michalkow . Under his leadership, the following jury members selected the winners: Gila Almagor , Vincenzo Cerami , Joan Chen , Ann Hui , Peter Lilienthal , Jürgen Prochnow , Claude Rich , Fay Weldon , Catherine Wyler and Christian Zeender .
- Golden Bear : The Golden Bear won this year for Ang Lee's film Sense and Sensibility .
Silver bears were awarded in the following categories:
- The jury awarded the Polish director Andrzej Wajda a Silver Bear for his life's work .
- The Silver Bear for Best Director has been awarded twice: Richard Loncraine and Ho Yim .
- Best actress: Anouk Grinberg in Mon Homme
- Best Actor: Sean Penn in Dead Man Walking
- Best individual artistic achievement: Yōichi Higashi for the particularly original portrayal of a childhood in The Village of My Dreams
- The jury's special prize for director Bo Widerberg for Schön is his youth
Honorary Golden Bear
This year the festival awarded two Honorary Golden Bears for their life's work to the director Elia Kazan and the actor Jack Lemmon . Both artists were honored with a retrospective of their best films as part of the festival.
Other award winners
- Children's film award: My friend Joe from Chris Bould
- Teddy Award (Documentary): The Celluloid Closet by Rob Epstein and Jeffrey Friedman
- Teddy Award (feature film): I'll Be Your Mirror by Edmund Coulthard and The Watermelon Woman by Cheryl Dunye
- FIPRESCI Prize (competition): Taiyang you er from Ho Yim
- FIPRESCI Prize (Forum): … and the moon is dancing by Garin Nugroho
- FIPRESCI Prize (Panorama): ... and everyone is looking for his kitten by Cédric Klapisch
- Ecumenical Jury Prize (competition): Dead Man Walking by Tim Robbins
- Prize of the Ecumenical Jury (Forum): To have (or not to have) by Laetitia Masson
- Alfred Bauer Prize : Vite strozzate by Ricky Tognazzi
- The Blue Angel : Beautiful is the youth of Bo Widerberg
- Caligari Film Prize (Forum): Charms Incidents by Michael Kreihsl
- Prize of the Berliner Morgenpost readers' jury : Dead Man Walking by Tim Robbins