International Film Festival Berlin 2000
The anniversary Berlinale was mainly characterized by the move to Potsdamer Platz . The theater on Potsdamer Platz , where musicals are played for the rest of the year, was renamed “Berlinale Palast” for the time of the Berlinale and the venue for all premieres of the competition. The “ Cinemaxx ” and the “ Cine Star ” in the “ Sony Center ” were added as new venues . The old premiere cinema of the “ Zoo Palast ” competition became the venue for the premieres of the children's film festival and “Panorama Spezial”.
The following films faced the judgment of the international jury in the program of the official competition in 2000 :
* = Opening film
The president of the international jury this year was the Chinese actress Gong Li . Under her leadership, the following jury members selected the winners: Lissy Bellaiche ( Denmark ), Peter W. Jansen ( Germany ), Jean Lefebvre ( Canada ), Marisa Paredes ( Spain ), Jean-Louis Piel ( France ), Walter Salles ( Brazil ), Maria Schrader (Germany), Andrzej Wajda ( Poland ).
- Golden Bear : The Golden Bear went to Paul Thomas Anderson for his film Magnolia this year .
Silver bears were awarded in the following categories:
- Grand Jury Prize: for the Chinese director Zhang Yimou
- Best director: Miloš Forman
- Best actress: Bibiana Beglau and Nadja Uhl - both in the film The Silence after Volker Schlöndorff's shot
- Best Actor: Denzel Washington in Hurricane
- Jury Prize: Wim Wenders for Million Dollar Hotel
- Prize for an outstanding artistic achievement: for the actor ensemble in Paradiso - Seven days with seven women
This year's Panorama Audience Award went to the French film Uneasy Rider (Nationale 7) by Jean-Pierre Sinapi . The film Botín de guerra by David Blaustein received the Ecumenical Jury Prize . Other outstanding productions in the panorama program were: Saltwater by Conor McPherson , Echo by Frédéric Roullier-Gall and Die Schuld by Krzysztof Krauze .
Honorary Golden Bear
The French actress Jeanne Moreau received the Honorary Golden Bear for her life's work . She was also honored with a retrospective of her best films.
Other award winners
- Glass bear : Tsatsiki - octopuses and first kisses from Ella Lemhagen
- Teddy Award (documentary): Paragraph 175 by Rob Epstein and Jeffrey Friedman
- Teddy Award (feature film): Drops on hot stones by François Ozon
- Alfred Bauer Prize : Dokuritsu shonen gasshoudan by Akira Ogata
- The Blue Angel : The silence after the shot by Volker Schlöndorff
- FIPRESCI Prize (competition): The Room of the Sorceresses by Claude Miller
- FIPRESCI Prize (Forum): Monday by Hiroyuki Tanaka and Paragraph 175 by Rob Epstein and Jeffrey Friedman
- Ecumenical Jury Prize (competition): Heimweg - The Road Home by Zhang Yimou
- Prize of the ecumenical jury (forum): Cinéma Vérité: Defining the Moment by Peter Wintonick and The great holidays by Johan van der Keuken
- Prize of the ecumenical jury (panorama): spoils of war by David Blaustein
- Caligari Film Prize (Forum): The Spring Meeting of Dimos Avdeliodis
- Manfred Salzgeber Prize : The Sea by Agustí Villaronga
- Wolfgang Staudte Prize : Marshal Tito's Geist (Maršal) by Vinko Brešan