Berlin International Film Festival 2020
The 70th Berlin International Film Festival (Berlinale) took place from February 20 to March 1, 2020. For the first time, they were under the direction of Carlo Chatrian and Mariette Rissenbeek , who officially replaced the previous festival director Dieter Kosslick on June 1, 2019 . While Chatrian was responsible for the artistic direction, Rissenbeek took over the management. Compared to the previous editions, the date of the film festival was postponed to the end of February, which means that the Berlinale took place for the first time since the scheduling in February shortly after the Oscar ceremony . With the world premiere of the Berlinale SpecialThe Berlinale opened with the invited feature film My Salinger Year by Philippe Falardeau .
The jury president of the competition, which among other things will award the Golden Bear for the best film at the festival, was the British actor Jeremy Irons this year . The main prize, the international co-production was Sheytan vojud nadarad (international festival title: There Is No Evil / There is no evil ) by Mohammad Rasoulof excellent. The Iranian director was not able to participate in the festival because he was not allowed to leave his home country.
The actor Samuel Finzi was hired to host the opening gala and the award ceremony .
From mid-December 2019, the first films were announced in the various sections of the festival. The full program was published on February 11, 2020. For the 70th edition of the festival, Encounters was a new competition section. The special series NATIVe (presentation of indigenous films) and culinary cinema have been abolished. The management of the Panorama , Berlinale Shorts , Forum and Berlinale Series sections as well as the selection committees for the international competition for the Golden Bear and the forum also changed .
The British actress Helen Mirren was honored with the Honorary Golden Bear for her life's work and an homage from five films at the festival . This year's Berlinale Camera went to the German filmmaker Ulrike Ottinger , who presented her new documentary Paris Calligrammes as a contribution in the Berlinale Special section .
At the end of January 2020, the organizers decided to suspend the award of the Alfred Bauer Prize initiated in 1987 . Research published at the time made it known that Bauer probably held an important position during the Nazi era .
The Berlinale 2020 has a preliminary annual budget of 26 million euros. A share of 8.4 million euros comes from the institutional funding of the Federal Commissioner for Culture and the Media .
Competition for the Golden Bear
|Invited again to the competition for the Golden Bear in 2020|
Hong Sang-soo ,
Sally Potter ,
Benoît Delépine &
Gustave Kervern ,
Abel Ferrara ,
Jeremy Irons was presented as jury president in January 2020 . The British film and theater actor first appeared at the Berlinale in 2011 with his competition entry The Great Crash - Margin Call . In 2013 , Irons played the lead role in the out-of-competition film Night Train to Lisbon . So far, he has appeared in more than 90 film and television roles, often taking on the role of the villain and has been hailed by critics as an “icon of international auteur cinema ” and “master of ambivalence”.
Irons had come under fire for earlier controversial remarks on same-sex marriage , abortion, and for signing a petition in 2009 for filmmaker Roman Polański , who was confronted with rape allegations . He had apologized several times for his statements and on the opening day at a press conference he had unequivocally acknowledged women's rights and diversity .
Several jury members, who were named on February 4, 2020, will assist the jury president in awarding the prizes:
- Bérénice Bejo , Argentine-French actress
- Bettina Brokemper , German film producer
- Annemarie Jacir , Palestinian director
- Kenneth Lonergan , American screenwriter and director
- Luca Marinelli , Italian actor
- Kleber Mendonça Filho , Brazilian film critic, director and programmer
The selection of films in the competition was announced on January 29, 2020 during an official press conference by Carlo Chatrian and Mariette Rissenbeek. A total of 18 films are competing for the Golden Bear.
Berlinale Special Gala
Films that previously ran out of competition will in future be presented as a Berlinale Special Gala . The original version of Der verrückte Professor (1963) will be shown on the occasion of the transfer of exclusive documents from the estate of Jerry Lewis (1926-2017) to the Deutsche Kinemathek in the presence of his son Chris Lewis. Films announced so far (incl. Berlinale Special ):
Julia Fidel , who had previously been jointly responsible for the Panorama section and the generation selection committee , was appointed as the new head of the section . The section is to be opened with three 55-minute episodes of the Freud series , the first joint project between ORF and the streaming provider Netflix .
- C'est comme ça que je t'aime ( Happily Married , Canada), 2 of 10 episodes - Director: Jean-François Rivard (with François Létourneau , Patrice Robitaille , Marilyn Castonguay , Karine Gonthier-Hydman , Sophie Desmarais )
- Dispatches from Elsewhere (USA), 2 of 10 episodes - Director: Jason Segel (with Jason Segel, Sally Field , Richard E. Grant , Eve Lindley , André Benjamin )
- The Eddy (France), 2 of 8 episodes - directors: Damien Chazelle , Houda Benyamina , Laïla Marrakchi , Alan Poul (with André Holland , Joanna Kulig , Amandla Stenberg , Tahar Rahim , Leïla Bekhti , Adil Dehbi , Benjamin Biolay )
- Freud (Austria, Germany, Czech Republic), 3 of 8 episodes - Director: Marvin Kren (with Robert Finster , Ella Rumpf , Georg Friedrich , Christoph Krutzler , Brigitte Kren , Anja Kling , Philipp Hochmair , Noah Saavedra )
- Mystery Road 2 (Australia), 2 of 6 episodes - directed by Warwick Thornton , Wayne Blair (with Aaron Pedersen , Jada Alberts , Sofia Helin , Callan Mulvey )
- Sex (Denmark), 6 episodes - Director: Amalie Næsby Fick (with Asta Kamma August , Jonathan Bergholdt Jørgensen , Nina Terese Rask , Sara Fanta Traore )
- Stateless (Australia), 2 of 6 episodes - directed by Emma Freeman , Jocelyn Moorhouse (with Yvonne Strahovski , Jai Courtney , Asher Keddie , Fayssal Bazzi , Dominic West , Cate Blanchett )
- Trigonometry (United Kingdom), 5 of 8 episodes - Directors: Athina Rachel Tsangari , Stella Corradi (with Ariane Labed , Thalissa Teixeira , Gary Carr )
The Drama Series Days , aimed at accredited specialist audiences , will be renamed Berlinale Series Market in 2020 .
The new competition section Encounters (German: “Encounters”) is intended to present “aesthetically and formally unusual works by independent filmmakers”. A maximum of 15 feature or documentary films should be shown as world or international premieres with a running time of 60 minutes or more. A three-person jury decides on awards for the best film, the best director and a special jury award. The artistic director Carlo Chatrian justified this step by stating that technological and economic developments had "made the boundaries between feature and documentary film, film essay and genre less rigid and more permeable".
In the Berlinale Shorts series , feature, documentary, experimental and animation films with a maximum length of 30 minutes (including credits) are shown. International contributions must not have been shown outside their country of origin before the Berlinale performance. After the long-time section head Maike Mia Höhne was appointed artistic director of the Hamburg International Short Film Festival , programmer, presenter and curator Anna Henckel-Donnersmarck took over the management from June 1, 2019.
In 2020, the International Short Film Jury will include the Hungarian animation filmmaker Réka Bucsis , the Turkish curator Fatma Çolakoğl and the filmmaker Lemohang Jeremiah Mosese from Lesotho. In addition to the Golden Bear for the best short film and the Silver Bear, the jury will award a nomination for the European Short Film Award and the Audi Short Film Award.
The entries for the short film competition - 24 films from 18 countries - were announced on January 14, 2020:
|Film title (reference title)||Director||country||Length
|2008||Blake Williams||Canada||12 '|
|À l'entrée de la nuit||Anton Bialas||France||19 '|
|Aletsch negatives||Laurence Bonvin||Switzerland||12 '|
|Atkūrimas||Laurynas Bareisa||Lithuania||13 '|
|Cause of Death||Jyoti Mistry||South Africa, Austria||20 '|
|Celle qui porte la pluie||Marianne Métivier||Canada||17 '|
Sasha Litvintseva ,
|Germany, Netherlands, United Kingdom||25 '|
|Filipiñana||Rafael Manuel||Philippines, UK||24 '|
|Genius Loci||Adrien Mérigeau||France||16 '|
|Girl and Body||Charlotte Mars||Australia||19 '|
|Gumnaam Din||Ekta Mittal||India||29 '|
|HaMa'azin||Omer Sterenberg||Israel||11 '|
|How to Disappear||
Robin Klengel ,
Leonhard Müllner ,
Jamie Meltzer ,
|United States||14 '|
|It Wasn't the Right Mountain, Mohammad||Mili Pecherer||France||29 '|
|My Galactic Twin Galaction||Sascha Swirski||Russian Federation||7 '|
|Playback. Ensayo de una despedida||Agustina Comedi||Argentina||14 '|
|So We Live||Rand Abou Fakher||Belgium||16 '|
|Stump the Guesser||
Guy Maddin ,
Evan Johnson ,
|T||Keisha Rae Witherspoon||United States||14 '|
|Union County||Adam Meeks||United States||14 '|
Out of competition:
- Veitstanz / Feixtanz - Director: Gabriele Stötzer (GDR, 1988, 25 ')
Michael Stütz, who previously worked as program manager and curator for Panorama , took over the management of the section . The former section head Paz Lázaro switched to the selection committee for the competition.
An initial selection of documentaries and feature films was announced on December 17, 2019. The first focal points included “filmmakers of an up-and-coming, idiosyncratic generation” with plural, postmigrant perspectives ( Faraz Shariat , Uisenma Borchu, Visar Morina ), “current transnational filmmaking” ( Pari ) and the persecution of the LGBTQI * community (Welcome to Chechnya) called. The program was supplemented on January 21, 2020, whereby the section leadership described the selection as “Filmmakers and protagonists stand against authorities”. The Swiss documentary film Saudi Runaway by Susanne Regina Meures was nominated .
|Film title (reference title)||Director||country||Participation|
Lia Hietala ,
|Records from the underworld||
Tizza Covi ,
|Austria||Kurt Girk , Alois Schmutzer|
|Bloody nose, empty pockets||
Bill Ross ,
|Days of Cannibalism||Teboho Edkins||France, South Africa, Netherlands|
|I Dream of Singapore||Lei Yuan Bin||Singapore|
Now or tomorrow
(Running on Empty)
(The Foundation Pit)
|Andrei Grjasew||Russian Federation|
|Nardjes A.||Karim Ainouz||Algeria, France, Germany, Brazil, Qatar|
O reflexo do lago |
|Saudi Runaway||Susanne Regina Meures||Switzerland|
A Voice that Shook the Silence
|Bettina Boehler||Germany||Christoph Schlingensief , Margit Carstensen , Irm Hermann , Alfred Edel , Udo Kier , Sophie Rois|
|Si c'était de l'amour
(If It Were Love)
|Patric Chiha||France||Gisèle Vienne|
|Welcome to Chechnya||David France||United States|
The film critic, author and curator Cristina Nord took over the management of the section on August 1, 2019. It set up a new film selection committee made up of five experts.
The side series Forum Expanded will continue to be directed by Stefanie Schulte Strathaus.
The forum will take place for the 50th time in 2020 . On this occasion, the Berlinale is showing the full program of the founding year 1971, combined with a supporting program that puts the significance of the first year for the present and the development of the section up for discussion.
The program was announced on January 20, 2020. EL TANGO DEL VIUDO y su espejo deformante by Raúl Ruiz and Valeria Sarmiento was selected as the opening film. The current program includes 35 films, including 28 world premieres. It is paraphrased with many contributions that "look for ways to mediate between past and present [...]".
|Anne at 13,000 ft||Kazik Radwanski||Canada, USA|
(A Storm Was Coming)
|Javier Fernández Vázquez||Spain|
La casa dell'amore |
(The House of Love)
|Chico ventana también quisiera tener un submarino
(Window Boy Would Also Like to Have A Submarine)
|Alex Piperno||Uruguay, Argentina, Brazil, Netherlands, Philippines|
|Entre perro y lobo||Irene Gutierrez||Cuba, Spain|
(This Is My Desire)
Aria Esiri ,
|FOREIGN||Viera Čákanyová||Czech Republic, Slovak Republic|
|Generations||Lynne Siefert||United States|
|Gli appunti di Anna Azzori / Uno specchio che viaggia nel tempo
(The Notes of Anna Azzori / A Mirror that Travels through Time)
|Constanze fame||Austria, Germany, France|
(In Deep Sleep)
|Maria Ignatenko||Russian Federation|
|Grève ou crève
(Strike or Die)
|Ieşirea trenurilor din gară
(The Exit of The Trains)
Radu Jude ,
|Kama fissamaa 'kathalika ala al-ard
(As Above So Below)
|Art comes out of the beak as it has grown||Sabine Herpich||Germany|
(Red Moon Tide)
|Luz nos trópicos
(Light in the Tropics)
|Maggie's Farm||James Benning||United States|
|Overtures||The Living and the Dead Ensemble||United Kingdom, France|
|Petit Samedi||Paloma Sermon-Daï||Belgium|
|Kazuhiro Soda||Japan, USA|
EL TANGO DEL VIUDO y su espejo deformante |
(THE TANGO OF THE WIDOWER And Its Distorting Mirror)
Raúl Ruiz ,
(After the Crossing)
|Joël Richmond Mathieu Akafou||France, Burkina Faso, Belgium|
|The Twentieth Century||Matthew Rankin||Canada|
|The Two Sights||Joshua Bonnetta||Canada, UK|
Sofie Benoot ,
Liesbeth De Ceulaer ,
|The Viewing Booth||Ra'anan Alexandrowicz||Israel, USA|
|What remains I Šta ostaje I What remains
|Clarissa Thieme||Germany, Austria, Bosnia and Herzegovina|
|Zeus Machine. L'invincibile
(Zeus Machine. The Invincible)
Nadia Ranocchi ,
The film program for the 50th anniversary of the Forum section . The German anti-war film ok , which in 1970 led to the abandonment of the Berlinale and subsequently to the establishment of the forum , was nominated.
|Angela Davis: Portrait of a Revolutionary||Yolande du Luart||USA, France||1971||Documentary form|
El cuarto poder |
(The fourth power)
Helena Lumbreras ,
El Ghorba (Les passagers) |
|Annie Tresgot||Algeria||1971||Documentary form|
|Eldridge Cleaver, Black Panther||William Klein||Algeria, France||1970||Documentary form|
The Great Chicago Conspiracy Circus |
(The Great Chicago Conspiracy Circus)
|Kerry Feltham||Canada||1970||Documentary form|
|The big mess||Alexander Kluge||FRG||1971|
|I-outside objects||Klaus Bessau||FRG||1970/71||Short film|
|Mare's Tail||David Larcher||United Kingdom||1969|
|Med Hondo||France||1971||Documentary form|
|Monangambeee||Sarah Maldoror||Algeria||1969||Short film|
Les mots ont un sens |
(The words have a meaning)
|Chris Marker||France||1970||Short film / documentary form|
The Murder of Fred Hampton |
(The murder of Fred Hampton)
|Howard Alk||United States||1970||Documentary form|
|It is not the homosexual who is perverse, but the situation in which he lives||Rosa von Praunheim||FRG||1971|
(End of the Dialogue)
Antonia Caccia ,
Chris Curling ,
Simon Louvish ,
Nana Mahomo ,
Vus Make ,
|South Africa||1970||Documentary form|
|A bonus for Irene||Helke Sander||FRG||1971|
|Jean-Louis Bertuccelli||France, Algeria||1970|
|One thing that goes without saying (15x)||
Harun Farocki ,
|Sochaux: 11 Juin 68||
Bruno Muel ,
Groupe Medvedkine de Sochaux
|France||1970||Short film / documentary form|
|Soleil Ô||Med Hondo||France, Mauritania||1967|
WR - Misterije Organizma
(WR - The Mysteries of the Organism)
|Dušan Makavejev||Yugoslavia, FRG||1971|
|Les trois-quarts de la vie
(Three quarters of life)
|Groupe Medvedkine de Sochaux||France||1970||Short film / documentary form|
The Woman's Film |
(The Women's Film)
(Judy Smith, Louise Alaimo , Ellen Sorrin )
|United States||1970||Documentary form|
Les yeux ne veulent pas en tout temps se fermer ou Peut-être qu'un jour Rome se permettra de choisir à son tour (Othon) |
(The eyes do not want to close at all times or maybe one day Rome will allow itself to choose (Othon))
Jean-Marie Straub ,
This Berlinale section shows suitable international film productions for children and young people. Long films with a running time of at least 60 minutes and short films with a maximum duration of 20 minutes that were completed within twelve months before the start of the festival were allowed. Foreign productions may be shown in advance at a non-European festival, broadcast in the country of origin on television or distributed via video-on-demand . European films (with the exception of German productions) are permitted in advance to have been published in the country of origin, at a national festival or an explicit children's or youth film festival, or to have had a national theatrical release. The head of the section is Maryanne Redpath. In 2020, the section comprises 59 competition entries, including 29 world premieres and eleven debut films from 34 countries. The proportion of women invited to directors is 58 percent.
As an award, a glass bear will be given to a film and a documentary by a children's jury (eleven Berlin children aged 11 to 14 years) and a youth jury (seven young people between 14 and 18 years of age). There is a separate international Generation Kplus jury that awards cash prizes for the best feature-length and short film donated by the German Children's Fund . Another international jury, on behalf of the Federal Agency for Civic Education , awards a grand prize for the best feature film and a special prize for the best short film.
|Black Sheep Boy||James Molle||France||Short film / animation|
|Death of Nintendo||Raya Martin||Philippines, USA|
|Un diable dans la poche||
Antoine Bonnet ,
|France||Short film / animation|
|Elders||Tony Briggs||Australia||Short film / documentary form|
|A fool god||Hiwot Admasu Done||France||Short film|
|H is for happiness||John Sheedy||Australia||Debut film|
|Hello Ahma||Siyou Tan||United States||Short film|
|The kites||Seyed Payam Hosseini||Iran||Short film|
The little bird and the bees |
(The Little Bird and the Bees)
|Lena von Döhren||Switzerland||Short film / animation|
|Aliona Baranova||Czech Republic||Short film / animation|
|Los Lobos||Samuel Kishi Leopo||Mexico|
Mamá, mamá, mamá
(Mum, Mum, Mum)
|Sol Berruezo Pichon-Rivière||Argentina|
|Maïmouna Doucouré||France||Debut film|
|Mishou||Milen Vitanov||Germany, Bulgaria||Short film / animation|
|Money Honey||Isaac Knights-Washbourn||New Zealand||Short film|
|Mugge & vejfesten
(Monty and the Street Party)
Morgenthaler Mikael Wulff is different
El nombre del hijo |
(The Name of the Son)
|Martina Matzkin||Argentina||Short film|
|Ochite mi sini, rokljata sharena
(Blue Eyes and Colorful My Dress)
|Polina Gumiela||Germany||Documentary form|
(Under the Skin)
|Emma Branderhorst||Netherlands||Short film|
|Perro||Lin Sternal||Germany||Debut film / documentary form|
|Sun Lijun||People's Republic of China||Short film / animation|
Ana Flavia Cavalcanti ,
|En route||Marit Weerheijm||Netherlands||Short film|
El sghayra |
|Amira Géhanne Khalfallah||Algeria, France||Short film|
El silencio del río |
(The Silence of the River)
|Francesca Canepa||Peru||Short film|
(Chronicle of Space)
|Sune - Best Man||Jon Holmberg||Sweden|
|Sweet thing||Alexandre Rockwell||United States|
|toni_with_an_i||Marco Alessi||United Kingdom||Short film|
The veins of the world
(Veins of the World)
|Byambasuren Davaa||Germany, Mongolia|
|Alice Júnior||Gil Baroni||Brazil|
|Tone Ottilie||Denmark||Short film|
|Broken Bird||Rachel Gordon||United States||Short film|
|Clebs||Halima Ouardiri||Canada||Short film / documentary form|
|Comrades||Kanas Liu||Hong Kong / China||Short film / documentary form|
La déesse des mouches à feu
(Goddess of the Fireflies)
|The Earth Is Blue as an Orange||Iryna Zilyk||Ukraine, Lithuania||Documentary form|
|The Flame||Nick Waterman||Australia||Short film / documentary form|
|Goodbye Golovin||Mathieu Grimard||Canada||Short film|
|Grevillea||Jordan Giusti||Australia||Short film|
|Hot mother||Lucy Knox||New Zealand||Short film|
(Sisters in the End of the World)
Luciana Mazeto ,
|jumbo||Zoé Wittock||France, Belgium, Luxembourg|
|Kaze no Denwa
(Voices in the Wind)
Le mal du siècle |
(The Great Malaise)
|Catherine Lepage||Canada||Short film / animation|
|Meu nome é Bagdá
(My Name is Baghdad)
|Caru Alves de Souza||Brazil|
|Något att minnas
(Something to remember)
|Niki Lindroth from Bahr||Sweden||Short film / animation|
Notre-Dame du Nil
(Our Lady of the Nile)
Palazzo di Giustizia
|Chiara Bellosi||Italy, Switzerland|
|Èrika Sánchez||Spain||Short film|
|Paradise Drifters||Mees Peijnenburg||Netherlands||Debut film|
Anna Falguères ,
|Belgium, France, Canada|
|Progresso Renaissance||Marta Anatra||Italy, France||Short film / documentary form|
|White Riot||Rubika Shah||United Kingdom||Debut film / documentary form|
|White Winged Horse||Mahyar Mandegar||Iran||Short film|
|Who Can Predict What Will Move You||Livia Huang||United States||Short film|
Yalda, a Night for Forgiveness
(Yalda, la nuit du pardon, also just Yalda)
|Massoud Bakhshi||France, Germany, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Lebanon, Iran|
Perspective German cinema
The Perspective German Cinema section, created at the suggestion of Dieter Kosslick in 2002, presents both short and long feature, documentary and experimental films by young German filmmakers with a minimum length of 20 minutes. It is aimed at talented directors who are at the beginning of their careers. Prior participation of the entries at a film festival is not an exclusion criterion. Section head Linda Söffker , who made a selection from over 200 submitted contributions, outlined the program with “women who act in small and large contexts who move the fate of the world and who have their own idea of home”. Kino International will serve as the premiere cinema for the section for the first time in 2020 .
The entries include the Kompass-Perspektive-Preis (endowed with 5,000 euros, jury: Mia Spengler , Bernd Lange and Melanie Andernach ), the "Kompagnon" award (grant of 5,000 euros / 2,500 euros for short films) and the Heiner Carow Award .
The contributions announced so far:
- A fish that swims on its back - Director: Eliza Petkova (with Nina Schwabe , Theo Trebs , Henning Kober , Anna Manolova , Márton Nagy , Leon Ullrich )
- Im Feuer - Director: Daphne Charizani (with Almila Bagriacik , Zübeyde Bulut , Maryam Boubani , Christoph Letkowski , Lucas Prisor , Gonca de Haas )
- Kids Run - Director: Barbara Ott (with Jannis Niewöhner , Lena Tronina , Eline Doenst , Giuseppe Bonvissuto , Carol Schuler , Sascha Alexander Geršak , Oliver Konietzny )
- Sleep - Director: Michael Venus (with Gro Swantje Kohlhof , Sandra Hüller , August Schmölzer , Marion Kracht , Agata Buzek )
- Automotive - Director: Jonas Heldt
- Garagenvolk - Director: Natalija Yefimkina
- Out of Place - Director: Friederike Güssefeld (guest contribution of the section)
- Wagenknecht - Director: Sandra Kaudelka (with Sahra Wagenknecht )
- Walchensee Forever - Director: Janna Ji Wonders
Retrospective and Berlinale Classics
The American director, producer and screenwriter King Vidor (1894–1982) will be the focus of the retrospective. Rainer Rother , Artistic Director of the Deutsche Kinemathek - Museum für Film und Fernsehen and head of the retrospective, explained the choice: “With the help of King Vidor's work, not only the history of Hollywood over 50 years can be traced, but also that of the United States in that one Period: From the beginning, Vidor took up significant events and current political developments from the First World War to the Great Depression to the New Deal in his films . "Carlo Chatrian on King's importance for film history, but also the present:" King Vidor was convinced of the Humanity that cinema can convey to its audience, and for this purpose it has continually developed new cinematic means. That makes him today - perhaps more than other old masters, whose style is clearly identifiable - a source of inspiration for all those who want to tell our rapidly changing world. "
In addition, the Berlinale Classics series includes new restorations of classic films and rediscovered works. The digitally restored version of Paul Leni's silent film classic The Wax Figure Cabinet (1924) was selected as the opening film for February 21, 2019 .
Cross-section jury awards
Berlinale Documentary Award
The award, endowed with 40,000 euros, is donated by the Rundfunk Berlin-Brandenburg (rbb) across all sections and awarded to a documentary film. The three-person jury consists of the German filmmaker and producer Gerd Kroske , the French-American filmmaker and curator Marie Losier and the Canadian filmmaker, singer, artist and activist Alanis Obomsawin .
In 2020, 21 films from the sections Competition (1 film), Berlinale Special (3), Encounters (2), Panorama and Forum (6 each), Generation (1) and Perspective German Cinema (2) have been nominated:
- Always Amber (Panorama)
- The American Sector (Berlinale Special)
- Anunciaron tormenta (forum)
- Records from the Underworld (Panorama)
- Automotive (German Cinema Perspective)
- La casa dell'amore (forum)
- Days of Cannibalism (Panorama)
- Grève ou crève (Forum)
- Gunda (Encounters)
- Irradiés (competition)
- Now or tomorrow (panorama)
- Medium (forum)
- A Metamorfose dos Pássaros (Encounters)
- Petite fille (panorama)
- O reflexo do lago (panorama)
- Responsabilidad empresarial (forum)
- Speer Goes to Hollywood (Berlinale Special)
- Victoria (forum)
- Walchensee Forever (German Cinema Perspective)
- Yi Zhi You Dao Hai Shui Bian Lan (Berlinale Special)
GWFF Award for Best First Feature
The award, endowed with 50,000 euros, has been donated by the Society for the Perception of Film and Television Rights (GWFF) across all sections since 2006 and given to a debut film. The three-person jury consists of the Serbian director and author Ognjen Glavonić , the Egyptian director, producer and film collective founder Hala Lotfy and the Spanish programmer and film scholar Gonzalo de Pedro Amatria .
In 2020, 21 films from the Encounters (3 films), Panorama (8), Forum (4), Generation (4) and Perspektive Deutsches Kino (2) sections have been nominated:
- Chico ventana también quisiera tener un submarino (forum)
- Cidade Pássaro (panorama)
- Los Conductos (Encounters)
- Digger (panorama)
- Eyimofe (Nigeria)
- Future three (panorama)
- Gorod usnul (forum)
- Kids Run (German Cinema Perspective)
- Irmã (generation)
- Kød & Blod (Panorama)
- Mamá, mamá, mamá (generation)
- Minyan (panorama)
- Mogul Mowgli (panorama)
- Naked Animals (Encounters)
- Namo (forum)
- Las niñas (generation)
- Palazzo di Giustizia (generation)
- Pari (panorama)
- Sleep (German Cinema Perspective)
- Vento Seco (panorama)
- Zabij to i wyjedz z tego miasta (Encounters)
- Golden Bear - Sheytan vojud nadarad (شیطان وجود ندارد) by Mohammad Rasulof
- Silver Bear - Grand Jury Prize - Never Rarely Sometimes Always (Never Rarely Sometimes Always) by Eliza Hittman
- Silver Bear - 70th Berlinale - Effacer l'historique by Benoît Delépine and Gustave Kervern
- Silver Bear - Best Director - Hong Sang-soo for Domangchin yeoja (도망친 여자)
- Silver Bear - Best Actress - Paula Beer for Undine
- Silver Bear - Best Actor - Elio Germano for Volevo nascondermi
- Silver Bear - Best Screenplay - Damiano and Fabio D'Innocenzo for Favolacce
- Silver Bear - Outstanding Artistic Achievement - Jürgen Jürges for DAU. Natasha
- Golden Bear for the best short film - Keisha Rae Witherspoon for T
- Silver Bear - Jury Prize : Filipiñana by Rafael Manuel
- Audi Short Film Award: Genius Loci by Adrien Mérigeau
- Berlin Short Film Candidate For The European Film Awards : It Wasn't the Right Mountain, Mohammad von Mili Pecherer
- Best film: The Works and Days ( of Tayoko Shiojiri in the Shiotani Basin ) by CW Winter, Anders Edström
- Best director: Malmkrog by Cristi Puiu
- Special jury award: The Trouble with Being Born by Sandra Wollner
- Honorable Mention: Isabella by Matías Piñeiro
- Best Documentary: Irradiés ( Irradiated ) by Rithy Panh
- Honorable mention: Notes from the Underworld ( Notes from the Underworld ) of Tizza Covi , Rainer Frimmel
- Best debut film: Los conductos by Camilo Restrepo
- Honorable Mention: Naked Animals by Melanie Waelde
- Generation 14plus:
Glass bear for the best film: Notre-Dame du Nil - Director: Atiq Rahimi
- Honorable Mention: White Riot - Director: Rubika Shah
- Glass bear for the best short film: Clebs (Mutts) - Director: Halima Ouardiri
- Honorable Mention: Goodbye Golovin - Director: Mathieu Grimard
- Awards from the Federal Agency for Civic Education:
- Grand Prize of the International Jury for the Best Film: Meu nome é Bagdá (My Name Is Baghdad) - Director: Caru Alves de Souza
- Honorable Mention: Kaze no Denwa (Voices in the Wind) - Director: Nobuhiro Suwa
- Special prize of the international jury for the best short film: Clebs (Mutts) - Director: Halima Ouardiri
- Grand Prize of the International Jury for the Best Film: Meu nome é Bagdá (My Name Is Baghdad) - Director: Caru Alves de Souza
- Glass bear for the best film: Notre-Dame du Nil - Director: Atiq Rahimi
Prizes of honor
The following films were shown in the homage:
- Prize of the Ecumenical Jury : Sheytan vojud nadarad (شیطان وجود ندارد) by Mohammad Rasulof (competition), Father - Otac (Otac) by Srđan Golubović (panorama), Seishin 0 by Kazuhiro Soda (forum)
- FIPRESCI Prize : Undine by Christian Petzold (competition), Mogul Mowgli by Bassam Tariq (panorama), The Twentieth Century by Matthew Rankin (forum)
- Teddy Award : Futur Drei ( No Hard Feelings ) by Faraz Shariat (feature film), Si c'était de l'amour ( If It Were Love ) by Patric Chiha (documentary / essay film), playback. Ensayo de una despedida ( playback ) by Agustina Comedi (short film), Rizi ( Days ) by Tsai Ming-Liang (Jury Award), Olga Baranova, Maxim Lapunov, David Isteev (Teddy Activist Award)
- Guild Film Award: Sheytan vojud nadarad by Mohammad Rasulof
- CICAE Prize: Digger by Georgis Grigorakis (Panorama), Ping jing ( The Calming ) by Song Fang (Forum)
- Label Europa Cinemas: Håp ( Hope ) by Maria Sødahl
- Panorama audience award
- Caligari Film Prize : Victoria by Sofie Benoot, Liesbeth De Ceulaer, Isabelle Tollenaere
- Peace Film Prize: Los Lobos ( The Wolves ) by Samuel Kishi Leopo
- Amnesty International Film Prize: Welcome to Chechnya by David France
- Heiner Carow Prize of the DEFA Foundation : Garagenvolk by Natalija Yefimkina
- Reader's Choice Award Berliner Morgenpost : Effacer l'historique by Benoît Delépine , Gustave Kervern (competition)
- Tagesspiegel readers' award : Chico ventana también quisiera tener un submarino ( Window Boy Would Also Like to Have a Submarine ) by Alex Piperno (Forum)
- Compass Perspective Award: Walchensee Forever by Janna Ji Wonders
- Companion sponsorship awards: 111 by Hristiana Raykova (Perspektive Deutsches Kino 2019), Arctic Link by Ian Purnell (Berlinale Talents)
- ARTEKino International Prize: The Melting by Veerle Baetens produced by Savage Film
- Eurimages Co-Production Development Award: Liman Film / bit arts for There Are Two Kinds of People in This World (Director: Onur Saylak)
- VFF Talent Highlight Award: Producer Jón Hammer for The Last Paradise on Earth (Director: Sakaris Stórá)
- Christiane Peitz, Andreas Busche: "The Berlinale should remain a public festival" . In: Der Tagesspiegel , July 30, 2019 (accessed October 8, 2019).
- Philippe Falardeau's My Salinger Year opens the 70th Berlinale. Retrieved February 12, 2020 .
- Berlinale 2020: Actor Samuel Finzi will be the new moderator for the opening gala and the award ceremony . In: berlinale.de, November 27, 2019 (accessed November 28, 2019).
- The Berlinale program . In: berlinale.de (accessed January 10, 2020)
- Berlinale 2020: New management creates another competition Encounters . In: berlinale.de, May 7, 2019 (accessed October 8, 2019).
- Homage and Honorary Golden Bear 2020 for Dame Helen Mirren. In: berlinale.de. Retrieved December 5, 2019 .
- Berlinale Camera 2020: Honor for Ulrike Ottinger . In: berlinale.de, January 28, 2020 (accessed January 28, 2020).
- Berlinale suspends Alfred Bauer Prize . In: zeit.de, January 29, 2020 (accessed January 30, 2020).
- "Berlinale in Numbers" at berlinale.de, accessed online on January 6, 2020
- Jeremy Irons becomes jury president of the Berlinale 2020. In: berlinale.de. January 9, 2020, accessed January 9, 2020 .
- Jeremy Irons . In: Internationales Biographisches Archiv 35/2018 from August 28, 2018 (accessed via Munzinger Online ).
- The 70th Berlinale is political before it even started . In: tagesspiegel.de, February 20, 2020 (accessed February 20, 2020).
- Bernd Haasis: Jeremy Irons defends himself against allegations . In: stuttgarter-zeitung.de, February 20, 2020 (accessed February 20, 2020).
- Jeremy Irons' Statement at Todays Press Conference . In: berlinale.de, February 20, 2020 (accessed February 20, 2020).
- Berlinale 2020: International Jury . In: berlinale.de, February 4, 2020 (accessed February 4, 2020).
- The competition of the 70th Berlinale and final selection of the Berlinale Special . In: berlinale.de, January 29, 2020 (accessed January 29, 2020).
- Berlinale Special: Views on Society. In: berlinale.de. January 23, 2020, accessed January 23, 2020 .
- Pinocchio as Berlinale Special Gala in the Berlinale Palast. In: berlinale.de. December 17, 2019, accessed December 18, 2019 .
- Berlinale Special: Multifaceted program. In: berlinale.de. January 14, 2020, accessed January 14, 2020 .
- Berlinale Special: Memory, Genre and Parable. In: berlinale.de. January 21, 2020, accessed January 22, 2020 .
- Berlinale 2020: New management for the Berlinale Series and “Drama Series Days” becomes “Berlinale Series Market” . In: berlinale.de, September 11, 2019 (accessed October 8, 2019).
- Berlinale Series 2020: Original stories, told uncompromisingly. In: berlinale.de. January 14, 2020, accessed January 15, 2020 .
- "Freud" opened series section of the Berlinale. In: The press . January 15, 2020, accessed January 15, 2020 .
- Encounters program complete: Vitality of cinema in all its forms . In: berlinale.de, January 17, 2020 (accessed January 20, 2020).
- Berlinale Shorts. In: berlinale.de. Retrieved February 15, 2019 (guidelines).
- . Berlinale 2020: Carlo Chatrian and Mariette Rissenbeek announce the first innovations . In: berlinale.de, March 28, 2019 (accessed October 8, 2019).
- On the freedom not to take your freedom - Berlinale Shorts present their program and the International Short Film Jury 2020. In: berlinale.de. January 14, 2020, accessed January 16, 2020 .
- Panorama 2020: (Un) common Grounds . In: berlinale.de, December 17, 2019 (accessed January 6, 2020).
- Panorama: Crossing borders . In: berlinale.de, January 21, 2020 (accessed January 22, 2020).
- Cristina Nord becomes the new head of the Berlinale Forum . In: berlinale.de, May 9, 2019 (accessed October 8, 2019).
- Berlinale Forum: New management appoints selection committee . In: berlinale.de, August 27, 2019 (accessed October 8, 2019).
- Berlinale Forum and Forum Expanded present their 2020 anniversary program. In: berlinale.de. December 20, 2019, accessed January 6, 2020 .
- levels like boisterous foals . In: berlinale.de, January 20, 2020 (accessed January 21, 2020).
- Forum and Forum Expanded Anniversary Program 2020. In: berlinale.de. December 20, 2019, accessed January 6, 2020 .
- OK in the forum anniversary program . In: berlinale.de, February 4, 2020 (accessed February 5, 2020).
- generation. Guidelines 2019. In: berlinale.de. February 5, 2018, accessed February 15, 2019 .
- Generation: Should I Stay or Should I Go - Young people on the move. In: berlinale.de. December 17, 2020, accessed January 9, 2020 .
- Generation: Take It to the Limit. In: berlinale.de. January 22, 2020, accessed January 23, 2020 .
- Perspective German Cinema. In: berlinale.de. February 5, 2018, accessed February 15, 2019 .
- Heimatfilm and Heimathorror . In: berlinale.de, January 15, 2020 (accessed January 15, 2020).
- Perspective German Cinema premieres in future at Kino International . In: berlinale.de, December 17, 2019 (accessed January 6, 2020)
- Berlinale 2020: Retrospective “King Vidor”. In: berlinale.de. October 9, 2019, accessed October 10, 2019 .
- Berlinale Classics 2020: Paul Leni's wax museum - world premiere of the digitally restored version . In: berlinale.de, November 19, 2019 (accessed November 28, 2019).
- Berlinale Documentary Film Prize - donated by the rbb . In: berlinale.de, February 4, 2020 (accessed February 15, 2020).
- Jury GWFF Award for Best First Feature . In: berlinale.de, February 4, 2020 (accessed February 15, 2020).
- Transparent bears and awards from the Federal Agency for Civic Education for Generation 14plus. In: berlinale.de. Retrieved February 28, 2020.