Berlin International Film Festival 2019
The 69th Berlin International Film Festival (Berlinale) took place from February 7th to 17th, 2019. They were held for the 18th and last time under the direction of Dieter Kosslick , who will be replaced by Carlo Chatrian and Mariette Rissenbeek in 2020 .
The festival opened with the ensemble film The Kindness of Strangers by Lone Scherfig , who also competed for the Golden Bear . The final program was officially presented on January 29, 2019. The international co-production Synonymes by the Israeli director Nadav Lapid was awarded the main prize of the festival .
Juliette Binoche was presented as jury president in December 2018 . In the past, the French actress has made several films at the Berlinale, including in the competition ( The Night is Young , 1987 ; The English Patient , 1997 - Actor Award ; Chocolat - A Small Bite Is Enough , 2001 ; In My Country , 2004 ; Camille Claudel 1915 , 2013 ; Nobody Wants the Night , opening film 2015 ), in the sections Panorama ( The Better Life , 2012 ) and Forum ( Die Liebenden von Pont-Neuf , 1992 ). In 1993 Binoche was also honored with the Berlinale Camera .
The jury president was assisted by several jury members who were named at the official presentation of the program on January 29, 2019:
- Justin Chang , American film critic
- Sandra Hüller , German actress ( Actor Award 2006)
- Sebastián Lelio , Chilean film director and screenwriter ( Screenplay Award and Teddy Award 2017)
- Rajendra Roy , American film curator
- Trudie Styler , British actress and film producer
|Invited again in 2019 to the competition for the Golden Bear|
Isabel Coixet ,
Hans Petter Moland ,
Denis Côté ,
Agnieszka Holland ,
Fatih Akin ,
The selection of films in the competition for the Golden Bear was announced on December 13, 2018, January 10 and 17, 2019. Of the originally 17 films in the competition, the Chinese entry Yi miao zhong (One Second) by Zhang Yimou could not be officially shown four days before the premiere due to technical problems in post-production .
Out of competition:
- L'adieu à la nuit (Farewell to the Night) - directed by André Téchiné (France, Germany) - with Catherine Deneuve , Kacey Mottet Klein , Oulaya Amamra , Stéphane Bak , Mohamed Djouhri
- Aretha Franklin: Amazing Grace - Director: Alan Elliott (USA) - Documentary
- Marighella - directed by Wagner Moura (Brazil) - with Seu Jorge , Adriana Esteves , Bruno Gagliasso , Jorge Paz , Luiz Carlos Vasconcelos , Humberto Carrão , Bella Camero , Ana Paula Bouzas
- Die Agentin (The Operative) - Director: Yuval Adler (Germany, Israel, France, USA) - with Diane Kruger , Martin Freeman , Cas Anvar
- Agnès Varda - Audience Discussions (Varda par Agnés) - Director: Agnès Varda (documentary)
- Vice - The Second Man (Vice) - Director: Adam McKay - with Christian Bale , Amy Adams , Steve Carell , Sam Rockwell , Tyler Perry
- Hero - Director: Zhang Yimou - due to the cancellation of Yi miao zhong (One Second)
In the Berlinale Shorts series , feature, documentary, experimental and animation films with a maximum length of 30 minutes (including credits) are shown. International contributions must not have been shown outside their country of origin before the Berlinale performance. “Different dimensions of power, visibility and knowledge” in conjunction with “the question of participation” were named as the topic. The Berlinale Shorts curator has been the freelance writer and film director Maike Mia Höhne since 2007 .
The entries for the short film competition - 24 films from 17 countries - were announced on January 14, 2019.
In 2019, the International Short Film Jury includes the US Senior Curator at Vimeo Jeffrey Bowers , the Croatian Head of Acquisition at MUBI Vanja Kaludjercic and the artistic director and founder of the RAW Material Company from Senegal Koyo Kouoh . In addition to the Golden Bear for the best short film and the Silver Bear, the jury will award nominations for the European Short Film Award and the Audi Short Film Award.
|Film title (reference title)||Director||country||Length
|All on a Mardi Gras Day||Michal Pietrzyk||United States||22 '|
|Blue boy||Manuel Abramovich||Argentina, Germany||19 '|
|Can't You See Them? - Repeat.||Clarissa Thieme||Germany, Bosnia and Herzegovina||9 '|
|Entropia||Flóra Anna Buda||Hungary||10 '|
|Flexible bodies||Louis Fried||Germany||19 '|
|Héctor||Victoria Giesen Carvajal||Chile||19 '|
|How to Breathe in Kern County||Chris Filippone||United States||9 '|
|It has to be lived once and dreamed twice||Rainer Kohlberger||Germany, Austria||28|
|Kingdom||Tan Wei Keong||Singapore||5 '|
Chema García Ibarra ,
Ion de Sosa
|Lidérc úr||Luca Tóth||Hungary, France||19 '|
|Mot Khu Dat Tot||Pham Ngoc Lan||Vietnam||19 '|
|Në Mes||Samir Karahoda||Kosovo||15 '|
|Omarska||Varun Sasindran||France||19 '|
|Past Perfect||Jorge Jácome||Portugal||23 '|
|Prendre feu||Michaël Soyez||France||26 '|
|Rang Mahal||Prantik Basu||India||27 '|
Benjamin de Burca
|Brazil, Canada||20 '|
|Shakti||Martín Rejtman||Argentina, Chile||19 '|
|The Spirit Keepers of Makuta'ay||Yen-Chao Lin||Canada||11 '|
|Splash||Shen Jie||People's Republic of China||9 '|
|Suc de síndria||Irene Moray||Spain||22 '|
Florian Fischer ,
|World on board||Eva Könnemann||Germany||29 '|
Out of competition:
- Al Mahatta - Director: Eltayeb Mahdi (Sudan, 1989, 16 ')
- Crvene gumene čizme - Director: Jasmila Žbanić (Bosnia and Herzegovina, 2000, 18 ')
The program was announced on December 18, 2018 and January 21, 2019. A total of 45 films will be presented with the participation of 38 countries, including 34 world premieres and 19 debut films. The program is divided into 29 feature films and 16 documentaries.
|Film title (reference title)||Director||country||With|
La Arrancada |
(On the Starting Line)
|Aldemar Matias||France, Cuba, Brazil|
|Breath||Uli M Schueppel||Germany|
|A Dog Called Money||Seamus Murphy||Ireland, Great Britain||PJ Harvey|
|Estou Me Guardando Para Quando O Carnaval Chegar
(Waiting for the Carnival)
|Lemebel||Joanna Reposi Garibaldi||Chile, Colombia|
|USA, UK, Qatar, Canada|
|normal||Adele Tulli||Italy, Sweden|
|Beauty & transience||Annekatrin Hendel||Germany|
|Searching Eva||Pia Hellenthal||Germany|
|Selfie||Agostino Ferrente||France, Italy|
|Serendipity||Prune Nourry||United States|
|Shooting the Mafia||Kim Longinotto||Ireland, USA|
|Talking about trees||Suhaib Gasmelbari||France, Sudan, Germany, Chad, Qatar|
|Western Arabs||Omar Shargawi||Denmark, Netherlands|
|What She Said: The Art of Pauline Kael||Rob Garver||United States||Sarah Jessica Parker , Quentin Tarantino , Alec Baldwin , David O. Russell , Paul Schrader|
The 49th edition of the forum is to show 39 films in the main program, including 31 world premieres.
- African Mirror - Director: Mischa Hedinger (Switzerland)
- Aidiyet (Belonging) - Director: Burak Çevik (Turkey / Canada / France)
- Bait - Director: Mark Jenkin (Great Britain)
- Breathless Animals - Director: Lei Lei (USA)
- Chão (Landless) - Director: Camila Freitas (Brazil)
- Chun nuan hua kai (From Tomorrow on, I Will) - Director: Ivan Marković , Wu Linfeng (Germany / People's Republic of China / Serbia)
- Demons - Director: Daniel Hui (Singapore)
- El despertar de las hormigas (Hormigas) - Director: Antonella Sudasassi Furniss (Costa Rica / Spain)
- Earth - Director: Nikolaus Geyrhalter (Austria)
- Far from Us Director: Verena Kuri , Laura Bierbrauer (Argentina)
- Progress in the Valley of the Clueless (Progress in the Valley of the People Who Do not Know) - Director: Florian Kunert (Germany)
- Fourteen - Director: Dan Sallitt (USA)
- Fukuoka - Director: Zhang Lu (Republic of Korea)
- Home is a space from time - Director: Thomas Heise (Germany / Austria)
- Kameni govornici (The Stone Speakers) - Director: Igor Drljača (Canada / Bosnia and Herzegovina)
- Kimi no tori wa utaeru (And Your Bird Can Sing) - Director: Sho Miyake (Japan)
- Die Kinder der Toten - Director: Kelly Copper , Pavol Liska (Austria)
- Lapü - Direction: César Alejandro Jaimes , Juan Pablo Polanco (Colombia)
- Malchik russkiy (A Russian Youth) - Director: Alexander Zolotukhin (Russian Federation)
- Man you (Vanishing Days) - Director: Zhu Xin (People's Republic of China)
- Monștri. (Monsters.) - Director: Marius Olteanu (Romania)
- Mother, I am suffocating. This Is My Last Film About You - Director: Lemohang Jeremiah Mosese (Lesotho)
- MS Slavic 7 - Director: Sofia Bohdanowicz , Deragh Campbell (Canada)
- Nasht (Leakage) - Director: Suzan Iravanian (Iran / Czech Republic)
- Ne croyez surtout pas que je hurle (Just Don't Think I'll Scream) - Director: Frank Beauvais (France)
- Nos défaites (Our Defeats) - Director: Jean-Gabriel Périot (France)
- Olanda - Director: Bernd Schoch (Germany)
- Oufsaiyed Elkhortoum (Khartoum Offside) - Director: Marwa Zein (Sudan / Norway / Denmark)
- The Plagiarists - Director: Peter Parlow (USA)
- A portuguesa (The Portuguese Woman) - Director: Rita Azevedo Gomes (Portugal)
- Querência (Homing) - Director: Helvécio Marins Jr. (Brazil / Germany)
- Retrospect - Director: Esther Rots (Netherlands / Belgium)
- A rosa azul de Novalis (The Blue Flower of Novalis) - Director: Gustavo Vinagre , Rodrigo Carneiro (Brazil)
- Serpentário (Serpentarius) - Director: Carlos Conceição (Angola / Portugal)
- So Pretty - Director: Jessie Jeffrey , Dunn Rovinelli (USA / France)
- Gli ultimi a vederli vivere (The Last to See Them) - Director: Sara Summa (Germany)
- Une rose ouverte / Warda (An Open Rose) - Director: Ghassan Salhab (Lebanon)
- Carry On Sanssouci (Music and Apocalypse) - Director: Max Linz (Germany)
- Years of Construction - Director: Heinz Emigholz (Germany)
This Berlinale section shows suitable international film productions for children and young people. Long films with a running time of at least 60 minutes and short films with a maximum duration of 20 minutes that were completed within twelve months before the start of the festival were allowed. Foreign productions may be shown in advance at a non-European festival, broadcast in the country of origin on television or distributed via video-on-demand . European films (with the exception of German productions) are permitted in advance to have been published in the country of origin, at a national festival or an explicit children's or youth film festival, or to have had a national theatrical release. The head of the section is Maryanne Redpath. The first contributions were published in December 2018.
As an award, a glass bear is given to a feature film and a documentary film by a children's (eleven Berlin children aged 11 to 14 years) and a youth jury (seven young people between 14 and 18 years of age). There is a separate international Generation Kplus jury that awards cash prizes for the best feature-length and short film donated by the German Children's Fund . Another international jury, on behalf of the Federal Agency for Civic Education , awards a grand prize for the best feature film and a special prize for the best short film.
- Beol-sae ( 벌새 , House of Hummingbird ) - Director: Bora Kim (South Korea)
- The Body Remembers When the World Broke Open - Director: Elle-Máijá Tailfeathers , Kathleen Hepburn (Canada, Norway)
- Bulbul Can Sing - Director: Rima Das , Kathleen Hepburn (India)
- By the Name of Tania - Directed by Bénédicte Liénard , Mary Jiménez (Belgium, Netherlands) - documentary
- Espero tua (re) volta (Your Turn) - Director: Eliza Capai (Brazil)
- Goldie - Director: Sam de Jong (USA)
- Guo Chun Tian (The Crossing) - Director: Bai Xue (PR China)
- Hölmö nuori sydän (Stupid Young Heart) - Director: Selma Vilhunen (Finland, Netherlands, Sweden)
- Knives and Skin - Director: Jennifer Reeder (USA)
- The Magic Life of V - Director: Tonislav Hristov (Finland, Denmark, Bulgaria)
- The Red Phallus - Director: Tashi Gyeltshen (Bhutan, Germany, Nepal)
- Reconstruction Utøya (Reconstructing Utøya) - Director: Carl javer (Sweden, Norway, Denmark) - out of competition
- Ringside (Im Ring) - Director: André Hörmann (Germany, USA)
- We Are Little Zombies - Director: Makoto Nagahisa (Japan; opening film of the section)
- Cocodrilo (Crocodile) - Director: Jorge Yúdice (Spain)
- Four Quartets - Director: Marco Alessi (Great Britain)
- Hush - Director: Armağan Ballantyne (New Zealand)
- Kids - Director: Michael Frei (Switzerland)
- Leaking Life - Director: Shunsaku Hayashi (Japan)
- Liberty - Director: Faren Humes (USA)
- Mientras las olas (Meanwhile the Waves) - directed by Delfina Gavaldá , Carmen Rivoira (Great Britain)
- Mosul 980 - Director: Ali Mohammed Saeed (Iraq, USA)
- Paula sans lui (About Love) - Director: Maéva Bero (France)
- Les petites vagues (Little Waves) - directed by Ariane Louis-Seize (Canada)
- Los rugidos que alejan la tormenta (The Roars That Keep the Storm Away) - Director: Santiago Reale (Argentina)
- Sœurs Jarariju (The Jarariju Sisters) - Director: Jorge Cadena (Switzerland)
- Story - Director: Jola Bańkowska (Poland)
- Tattoo - Director: Farhad Delaram (Iran)
- Tigre (Tiger) - Director: Delphine Deloget (France)
- Yulia & Juliet - Director: Zara Dwinger (Netherlands)
- 2040 - Directed by Damon Gameau (Australia) - Documentary
- Anbessa - Director: Mo Scarpelli (USA, Italy)
- Baracoa - Director: Pablo Briones , The Moving Picture Boys (Switzerland, USA, Spain)
- Cleo - Director: Erik Schmitt (Germany; opening film of the section)
- Une colonie (A Colony) - Director: Geneviève Dulude-De Celles (Canada)
- Daniel fait face (Daniel) - Director: Marine Atlan (France)
- Di yi ci de li bie (A First Farewell) - Director: Wang Lina (PR China)
- Driveways (driveways) - Director: Andrew Ahn (USA)
- Children - Director: Nina Wesemann (Germany)
- Kok-du yi-ya-ki (Kokdu: A Story of Guardian Angels) - Director: Kim Tae Yong (South Korea)
- Lotte ja kadunud lohed (Lotte and the Lost Dragons) - Director: Janno Põldma , Heiki Ernits (Estonia, Latvia)
- Månelyst i Flåklypa (Louis & Luca - Mission to the Moon) - Director: Rasmus A. Sivertsen (Norway)
- Mijn bijzonder rare week met Tess (My Extraordinary Summer with Tess) - Director: Steven Wouterlood (Netherlands, Germany)
- Sune vs Sune - Director: Jon Holmberg (Sweden)
- Where We Belong - Director: Jacqueline Zünd (Switzerland)
- Ani - Director: Josephine Stewart-Te Whiu (New Zealand)
- Le dernier jour d'automne (The Last Day of Autumn) - Director: Marjolaine Perreten (Switzerland, Belgium, France)
- Dian jiao jian (Tiptoe) - Director: I-Ju Lin (Taiwan)
- Juste moi et toi (Just Me and You) - Director: Sandrine Brodeur-Desrosiers (Canada)
- Magralen - Director: Maryam Zarei (Iraq, Canada)
- Nest - Director: Sonja Rohleder (Germany)
- Pappa (Dad) - directed by Atle Blakseth , Einar Dunsæd (Norway)
- Pouštět draka (The Kite) - Director: Martin Smatana (Czech Republic, Slovak Republic, Poland)
- El tamaño de las cosas (The Size of Things) - Director: Carlos Felipe Montoya (Colombia)
- Zibilla - Director: Isabelle Favez (Switzerland, Belgium, France) - out of competition
To mark the 30th anniversary of the Jerusalem Sam Spiegel Film School (JSFS), the following short films were shown as outstanding works by the film school:
- Chol - Director: Omri Levy (1997)
- Diploma - Director: Yaelle Kayam (2009)
- Eich ratsachti et Rabin (How I Killed Rabin) - Director: Michael Alalu (2012)
- Hatatzpitanit (Lookout) - Director: Noa Gusakov (2014)
- Milhama a'heret (A Different War) - Director: Nadav Gal (2004)
- Mushkie - Director: Aleeza Chanowitz (2015)
Perspective German cinema
The Perspective German Cinema section, created at the suggestion of Dieter Kosslick in 2002, presents both short and long feature, documentary and experimental films by young German filmmakers with a minimum length of 20 minutes. It is aimed at talented directors who are at the beginning of their careers. Previous participation of the entries at a film festival was not an exclusion criterion. The head of the section is Linda Söffker.
The entries include the Kompass-Perspektive-Preis (endowed with 5,000 euros), “Kompagnon” sponsorship award (grant of 5,000 euros / 2,500 euros for short films), the GWFF Prize for Best First Feature (endowed with 50,000 euros) and the Glashütte Original Documentary Award (endowed with 50,000 euros) awarded.
The contributions announced so far (excluding the award-winning film of the feature film competition of the Max Ophüls Prize 2019):
- 6M Minuten66 - Direction: Katja Feldmeier , Julius Feldmeier (guest contribution in the section)
- Berlin Bouncer - Director: David Dietl
- Born in Evin - Director: Maryam Zaree
- The Pit - Director: Hristiana Raykova
- The inner glow - Director: Stefan Sick
- Tackling Life - Director: Johannes List (guest contribution in the section, winner of the First Steps Award 2018)
- easy love - Director: Tamer Jandali (with Stella Vivien Dhingra , Sophia Seidenfaden , Sönke Andersen , Lenika Lukas )
- The individual parts of love - Director: Miriam Bliese (with Birte Schnöink , Ole Lagerpusch )
- Dreissig - Director: Simona Kostova (with Övünç Güvenişik , Pascal Houdus , Raha Emami Khansari , Kara Schröder , Henner Borchers , Anja Langer )
- Dust - Director: Udita Bhargava (with Morten Holst , Vinay Pathak , Abu Bakr Golu , Kalyanee Mulay , Babita Goyal )
- Fish learns to fly - Director: Deniz Cooper (with Salka Weber , Alessandro Bressanello , Julia Edtmeier , Florian Carove , Dominic Oley )
- Today or Tomorrow - Director: Thomas Moritz Helm (with Paula Knüpling , Maximilian Hildebrandt , Tala Gouveia )
- Off Season - Director: Henning Beckhoff (with Godehard Giese , Franziska Petri )
- Oray - Director: Mehmet Akif Büyükatalay (with Zejhun Demirov , Deniz Orta , Cem Göktaş , Ferhat Keskin , Mikael Bajrami )
- The Epoch of Man (Anthropocene: The Human Epoch) - Directors: Jennifer Baichwal , Nicholas de Pencier , Edward Burtynsky (Canada) - Documentary
- The Boy Who Catched the Wind - Director: Chiwetel Ejiofor (Great Britain)
- Brecht - Director: Heinrich Breloer (Germany / Austria)
- As you want me (Celle que vous croyez) - Director: Safy Nebbou (France)
- It could have been worse - Mario Adorf - Director: Dominik Wessely (Germany) - Documentary
- Gully Boy - Director: Zoya Akhtar (India)
- Stage Fright - Director: Alice Agneskirchner (Germany)
- El Norte (The North) - Director: Gregory Nava (USA 1984)
- Peter Lindbergh - Women Stories - Director: Jean Michel Vecchiet (Germany) - Documentary
- Photograph - A photo changes your life forever (Photograph) - Director: Ritesh Batra (India / Germany / USA)
- Watergate - Or: How We Learned to Stop an Out of Control President - Director: Charles Ferguson (USA) - Documentary
- Because you only live once - Die Toten Hosen on tour - Director: Cordula Kablitz-Post , Concert Director Paul Dugdale (Germany) - Documentary
- Berlinale Series
- Hanna (Amazon Prime Video ) - Director: Sarah Adina Smith (Great Britain) - with Esmé Creed-Miles , Joel Kinnaman , Mireille Enos
- M - A city is looking for a murderer ( ORF , TVNOW ) - Director: David Schalko (Austria) - with Sarah Viktoria Frick , Verena Altenberger , Christian Dolezal , Gerhard Liebmann , Lars Eidinger , Sophie Rois , Moritz Bleibtreu , Bela B , Udo Kier
- Il était une seconde fois (Twice Upon A Time) ( Arte ) - directed by Guillaume Nicloux (France) - with Gaspard Ulliel , Freya Mavor
- Quicksand - You can't lie in a dream ( Störst av allt , Netflix ) - Director: Per-Olav Sørensen (Sweden) - with Hanna Ardéhn , Felix Sandman , William Spetz , David Dencik , Reuben Sallmander
- 8 days ( Sky Deutschland ) - directors: Stefan Ruzowitzky , Michael Krummenacher , idea: Rafael Parente , Peter Kocyla (Germany) - with Christiane Paul , Mark Waschke , Lena Klenke , Fabian Hinrichs , Nora Waldstätten , Devid Striesow , Henry Hübchen , Murathan Muslu , David Schütter , Luisa-Celine Gaffron , Claude Heinrich
- False Flag 2 ( Keshet Broadcasting ) - Director: Oded Ruskin , Idea: Maria Feldman and Leora Kamenetzky (Israel) - with Miki Leon , Hanna Azoulay Hasfari , Neta Riskin , Yiftach Klein , Yousef Sweid , Lihi Kornowski , Moran Rosenblatt , Hani Furstenberg , Angel Bonanni
- Bedrag III (Follow the Money III) ( DR1 ) - Director: Søren Balle , Idea: Jeppe Gjervig Gram (Denmark) - with Thomas Hwan , Esben Smed , Maria Rich
Retrospectives on film history have been held at the Berlinale since 1977 in collaboration with the Deutsche Kinemathek . In 2019, the retrospective was devoted to the title “Self-determined. Perspektiven von Filemacherinnen “the filmmaking of female directors in the period from 1968 to 1999. It should include an arc from May Spils ' Zur Ding, Schätze (1968), Im Innern des Wals (1985) by Doris Dörrie to the documentary Mit Haut und Haar (1999) by Martina Döcker and Crescentia Dünßer . In addition, around 20 short and medium-length films were included in individual programs as supporting films. Thematically, the retrospective followed on from the 2016 Berlinale , whose retrospective “Germany 1966 - Cinematic Perspectives in East and West” commemorated the beginning of the careers of West German women directors. The directors Katja von Garnier , Iris Gusner , Jeanine Meerapfel , Helke Misselwitz , Helke Sander , Evelyn Schmidt , Ula Stöckl and Margarethe von Trotta were invited to interviews .
- Golden Bear : Synonym of Nadav Lapid
- Silver Bear - Grand Jury Prize : Praise be to God (Grâce à Dieu) by François Ozon
- Alfred Bauer Prize : System sprinkler by Nora Fingscheidt
- Silver Bear - Best Director : Angela Schanelec ( I was at home, but ... )
- Silver Bear - Best Actress : Yong Mei ( Di jiu tian chang )
- Silver Bear - Best Actor : Wang Jingchun (Di jiu tian chang)
- Silver Bear - Best Screenplay : Maurizio Braucci , Claudio Giovannesi and Roberto Saviano - Paranza - The Clan of Children (La paranza dei bambini)
- Silver Bear - Outstanding Artistic Achievement : Cinematographer Rasmus Videbæk - Stealing Horses (Ut og stjæle hester)
- Golden Bear for the best short film : Umbra by Florian Fischer and Johannes Krell
- Silver Bear - Jury Prize : Blue Boy by Manuel Abramovich
- Audi Short Film Award: Rise by Bárbara Wagner and Benjamin de Burca
- Audi Short Film Award - Honorable Mention: Omarska by Varun Sasindran
- Prize of the Ecumenical Jury : Gospod postoi, imeto i 'e Petrunija by Teona Strugar Mitevska (competition), Buoyancy by Rodd Rathjen (panorama), Earth by Nikolaus Geyrhalter (forum)
- FIPRESCI Prize : Synonymes by Nadav Lapid (competition), Dafne by Federico Bondi (panorama), The Children of the Dead by Kelly Copper , Pavol Liska (forum)
- Teddy Award : Breve historia del planeta verde (Brief Story from the Green Planet) by Santiago Loza (feature film and Teddy Readers' Award powered by queer.de), Lemebel by Joanna Reposi Garibaldi (documentary / essay film), Entropia by Flóra Anna Buda (Short film), A Dog Barking at the Moon by Xiang Zi (Special Jury Award), Falk Richter (Special Teddy Award)
- Gilde Film Prize: Gospod postoi, imeto i 'e Petrunija by Teona Strugar Mitevska
- CICAE Prize: 37 Seconds by HIKARI (Panorama), Nos défaites by Jean-Gabriel Périot (Forum)
- Europa Cinemas label: Šavovi by Miroslav Terzić
Panorama audience award
- Best feature film: 37 Seconds by HIKARI
- Best Documentary: Talking About Trees by Suhaib Gasmelbari
- Caligari Film Prize : home is a space of time of Thomas Heise
- Peace Film Prize: Espero tua (re) volta (Your Turn) by Eliza Capai , Honorable Mention: Système K by Renaud Barret , Midnight Traveler by Hassan Fazili
- Amnesty International Film Prize: Espero tua (re) volta (Your Turn) by Eliza Capai
- Heiner Carow Prize of the DEFA Foundation : Beauty & Transience by Annekatrin Hendel
- Berliner Morgenpost reader award : Systemsprenger by Nora Fingscheidt (competition)
- Tagesspiegel readers' award : Monștri. by Marius Olteanu (forum)
- Compass Perspective Award: Born in Evin by Maryam Zaree
- Associate sponsorship awards: Transit Times by Ana-Felicia Scutelnicu , To Be Continued (AT) by Julian Pörksen
- ARTEKino International Prize: A Responsible Adult by Shira Geffen , produced by Marker Films (Israel)
- Eurimages Co-Production Development Award: Avalon PC (Spain) for Alcarràs (Director: Carla Simón )
- VFF Talent Highlight Award: Producer Vincenzo Cavallo (Kenya) for Bufis (Director: Mahad Ahmed )
- Welcome to the Berlinale. In: berlinale.de. February 5, 2018(Official Website).
- Lone Scherfig's The Kindness of Strangers opens the 69th Berlinale. In: berlinale.de. December 6, 2018, accessed February 15, 2019 .
- The Berlinale program. In: berlinale.de. Retrieved February 15, 2019 .
- Berlinale 2019: Homage and Honorary Golden Bear for Charlotte Rampling. (No longer available online.) In: berlinale.de. December 17, 2018, archived from the original on February 16, 2019 ; accessed on February 15, 2019 . Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Juliette Binoche will be jury president of the Berlinale 2019. In: berlinale.de. December 11, 2018, accessed February 15, 2019 .
- Prizes of the International Jury. In: berlinale.de. January 29, 2019, accessed February 15, 2019 .
- Berlinale 2019: François Ozon, Marie Kreutzer, Denis Côté, Fatih Akin, Angela Schanelec and Emin Alper in the competition / Heinrich Breloer, Zoy. In: berlinale.de. December 13, 2018, accessed February 15, 2019 .
- Competition and Berlinale Special: Agnès Varda, Agnieszka Holland, Hans Petter Moland, Isabel Coixet and Wang Quan'an in the competition program / directorial debut of Chiwetel Ejiofor in the Berlinale Special. In: berlinale.de. January 7, 2019, accessed February 15, 2019 .
- Competition and Berlinale Special complete. In: berlinale.de. January 17, 2019, accessed February 15, 2019 .
- Change of program competition 2019. In: berlinale.de. February 11, 2019, accessed February 15, 2019 .
- Ying xiong - Hero. In: berlinale.de. Retrieved February 21, 2019 .
- Technical problems, censorship or power games? February 13, 2019, accessed on February 21, 2019 (conversation with Kristin Shi-Kupfer).
- Berlinale Shorts. In: berlinale.de. Retrieved February 15, 2019 (guidelines).
- Berlinale Shorts: Complete 2019 program. In: berlinale.de. January 14, 2019, accessed February 15, 2019 .
- Berlinale Shorts - The International Short Film Jury 2019: Jeffrey Bowers, Vanja Kaludjercic and Koyo Kouoh. In: berlinale.de. December 21, 2018, accessed February 15, 2019 .
- Panorama 2019, first half of the program has been determined: Joanna Hogg, Jenna Bass, Jonah Hill, Syllas Tzoumerkas and PJ Harvey in the program. Berlinale 2019. (No longer available online.) In: berlinale.de. December 18, 2018, archived from the original on January 1, 2019 ; accessed on February 15, 2019 .
- Panorama 2019: Times of the outbreak. In: berlinale.de. January 21, 2019, accessed February 15, 2019 .
- Forum 2019: Risk instead of perfection. In: berlinale.de. January 18, 2019, accessed February 15, 2019 .
- generation. Guidelines 2019. In: berlinale.de. February 5, 2018, accessed February 15, 2019 .
- Generation 2019: Wild determined women - in front of and behind the camera. In: berlinale.de. December 19, 2018, accessed February 15, 2019 .
- Perspective German Cinema. In: berlinale.de. February 5, 2018, accessed February 15, 2019 .
- “Easy Love Is No Easy Love” - Perspektive Deutsches Kino 2019 opens with easy love by Tamer Jandali. In: berlinale.de. December 20, 2018, accessed February 15, 2019 .
- Perspective German Cinema 2019: Grown up from today. In: berlinale.de. January 8, 2019, accessed February 15, 2019 .
- Competition and Berlinale Special complete. In: berlinale.de. January 17, 2019, accessed February 15, 2019 .
- Berlinale Series 2019: Innovative formats and long-awaited series highlights in the fifth year in a row. In: berlinale.de. January 17, 2019, accessed February 15, 2019 .
- Retrospective 2019: “Self-determined. Perspectives from women filmmakers ”. In: berlinale.de. November 13, 2018, accessed February 15, 2019 .
- Prizes from independent juries. In: berlinale.de. February 16, 2019, accessed February 17, 2019 .