International Film Festival Berlin 1997
* = Opening film
The president of the international jury this year was French cultural politician Jack Lang . Under his leadership, the following jury members selected the winners: Hark Bohm , Férid Boughedir , Maggie Cheung , Fred Gronich , David Hare , Per Holst , Boleslaw Michalek , Humberto Solás , Marianne Sägebrecht and Ying Ning .
- Golden Bear : The Golden Bear was awarded this year to Milos Forman for his film Larry Flynt - The Naked Truth .
Silver bears were awarded in the following categories:
- Raúl Ruiz received a Silver Bear from the jury for his life's work.
- Best director: Eric Heumann
- Best Actress: Juliette Binoche for The English Patient
- Best Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio for Romeo and Juliet
- Silver bear for a special individual achievement: Zbigniew Preisner for his film music for Die Insel in Vogelstrasse
- Special jury award: Tsai Ming-liang for his film The River
Honorary Golden Bear
American actress Kim Novak received an Honorary Golden Bear . She was also honored with a retrospective of her best films at the festival.
Other award winners
- Teddy Award : MURDER and murder by Yvonne Rainer
- Special Teddy Award: Romy Haag
- Alfred Bauer Prize : William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet (William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet) by Baz Luhrmann
- The Blue Angel : Secrets of the Heart of Montxo Armendáriz
- Caligari Film Prize : Nobody's Business by Alan Berliner
- Wolfgang Staudte Prize : The Sertao of Memories (O Sertão das Memórias) by José Araújo and Picado fino (“Fine Powder”) by Esteban Sapir
- NETPAC ( Network for the Promotion of Asian Cinema ) Prize: [Focus] by Satoshi Isaka
The following films were shown in this year's Panorama: Brassed Off - With timpani and trumpets by Mark Herman , Bubblegum (short film) by Peter Strickland , Conversation with the Beast by Armin Mueller-Stahl , Marvin's Daughters by Jerry Zaks , Nobody's Business by Alan Berliner , Tupamaros by Heidi Specogna and Rainer Hoffmann .
Children's film festival
This year the Children's Film Festival had its 20th anniversary. A retrospective with ten of the best films from 20 years was shown to mark the anniversary. This year, the German film Der Flug des Albatros by Werner Meyer received the Transparent Bear .