|Baz Luhrmann (2013)|
Explanation of the data
Mark Anthony "Baz" Luhrmann (born September 17, 1962 in Sydney , New South Wales ) is an Australian director , screenwriter and actor .
Luhrmann attended the National Institute of Dramatic Art in Australia . After graduating, he founded the theater group The Six Years Old Company and worked on various musicals and operas .
He had his first great success as a director in 1990 with the performance of Puccini's opera La Bohème , which was played in the famous Sydney Opera House until 1996 .
In the 1980s Luhrmann made his first appearances as a film actor in The Winter of Our Dreams (1981) and The Dark Room (1982). In 1992 he made his film director debut with Strictly Ballroom , a romantic comedy based on his play of the same name. With this film Luhrmann founded his Red Curtain trilogy, which he concluded with William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet (with Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes ) and Moulin Rouge (with Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor ). He describes a film language as the Red Curtain that aims to achieve active audience participation in a film. Part of this language is an extremely simplified plot that is interrupted by music and dance interludes and thus represents a western version of Bollywood films.
In 1996 he and his wife Catherine Martin founded the film production company Bazmark Inc. , with which he produced William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet in the same year and Moulin Rouge in 2001 .
He also achieved fame in 1999 by setting a newspaper column to music. It was a fictional graduation speech by the journalist Mary Schmich from Chicago, in which she gives fictitious school leavers some wisdom on the future path. Luhrmann had the text performed by actor Lee Perry and added music to it. The unusual song entitled Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen) attracted worldwide attention and even reached number 1 on the charts in England . A German version ( sun cream ) was also published, with Dieter Brandecker speaking the text.
In 2002 he directed the opera La Bohème on New York's Broadway . In 2004 he directed the lavish commercial for the perfume Chanel No. 5 with Nicole Kidman in the lead role.
After a seven-year hiatus, Luhrmann's fourth feature film, Australia , was released in November 2008 . In it, Luhrmann processed the history of his homeland against the background of the bombing raid on Darwin during World War II . For the project he only worked with Australian actors and continued his longstanding collaboration with Nicole Kidman , who starred alongside Hugh Jackman .
From September 2011 to February 2012 Luhrmann filmed the novel The Great Gatsby in 3-D in Sydney . Leonardo DiCaprio took on the role of Jay Gatsby. It was the first collaboration between Baz Luhrmann and DiCaprio since William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet in 1996. Tobey Maguire as Nick Carraway and Carey Mulligan as Daisy Buchanan can also be seen in other roles . The film opened out of competition on May 15, 2013 at the 66th Cannes International Film Festival .
He developed the series The Get Down for Netflix in 2016 . This was the VoD provider's most expensive production to date. After a season she was discontinued.
In 2017 Luhrmann shot the short film The Secret Life of Flowers for the designer collaboration between Erdem and H&M .
as a director and screenwriter
- 1992: Strictly Ballroom - Those who dance against all rules (Strictly Ballroom)
- 1996: William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet (William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet)
- 2001: Moulin Rouge
- 2008: Australia
- 2013: The Great Gatsby (The Great Gatsby)
- 2016–2017: The Get Down (TV series, eleven episodes)
as a performer
- 1981–1982: Das Buschkrankenhaus ( A Country Practice , TV series)
- 1981: Winter of Our Dreams
- 1982: The Dark Room
- 1982: The Highest Honor
- Baz Luhrmann in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Official Website of Bazmark Inc. (English)
- Photo Baz Luhrmann from 2010 on zimbio.com accessed on August 16, 2011
- ↑ Chart sources: DE CH UK US
- ↑ Music Sales Awards: US UK
- ↑ Sonnencreme Everybody (Dt. Ver): Baz Luhrmann: Amazon.de: Music . Amazon.de. Retrieved July 14, 2009.
- ^ Everybody's free (to wear sunscreen) . Brain fusion. January 22, 2001. Archived from the original on January 22, 2001. Retrieved on July 14, 2009.
- ↑ http://www.filmstarts.de/nachrichten/18471750.html accessed on September 7, 2011.
- ↑ http://www.moviegod.de/kino/meldung/27946/the-great-gatsby-der-grosse-gatsby-meerjungfrau-gemma-ward-an-bord/ accessed on August 31, 2011.
- ↑ Baz Luhrmann, Leonardo DiCaprio and Scott Fitzgerald to inaugurate the Festival de Cannes ( Memento of the original from May 8, 2013 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link has been inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. at festival-cannes.fr, (accessed on March 14, 2013).
- ↑ zeit.de, accessed on August 12, 2016
- ↑ H&M Magazine | Inside H&M | The latest H&M news. Retrieved October 24, 2017 .
- ↑ H&M: ERDEM x H&M - “The Secret Life of Flowers” campaign film by Baz Luhrmann. October 24, 2017. Retrieved October 25, 2017 .
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Luhrmann, Mark Anthony (real name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Australian director, screenwriter and actor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||17th September 1962|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Sydney , New South Wales|