The Silver Bear (formerly also the Silver Berlin Bear ) is a film prize created by the sculptor Renée Sintenis , which has been awarded by the Berlinale International Jury since 1956, alongside the main prize ( Golden Bear ) .
The jury awards Silver Bears among the nominated films in the official Berlinale competition in seven categories, one of which is the so-called Grand Jury Prize . The other categories are currently Best Director, Best Actress, Best Actor and another prize for outstanding artistic achievement. The International Short Film Jury will award the second best production in the short film competition with a Silver Bear.
In 2008, a prize was awarded for the best screenplay for the first time. In addition, the international short film jury awarded a Silver Bear as the jury prize to a film in the short film competition. At the same time, no separate award was given for the Best Film Music category, which has existed since 2002 .
As of 2021, the awards for the best actor and the best actress are to be discontinued, instead awards for the best acting in a leading role and the best acting in a supporting role are to be awarded. The Alfred Bauer Prize is to be replaced by the Jury Prize . The ProQuote Film association criticized the gender-neutral prizes as a fig leaf for innovation , saying that the Berlinale is far from gender equality . Much more films by men than by women were shown in the festival's competition.
The price categories at a glance:
|Grand Jury Prize||1957 (1951)|
|Jury Prize - Short Film||1956|
|Outstanding artistic achievement||2008|
No longer awarded prizes:
- Best Film Music (2002-2007)
- Special artistic achievement (1956-2007)
- Outstanding Individual Achievement (1956-2005)
- New Silver Bear Rule: Berlinale will in future award gender-neutral acting awards. In: spiegel.de. August 24, 2020, accessed on August 24, 2020 .
- Berlinale now awards gender-neutral actor prizes. In: The press . August 25, 2020, accessed August 25, 2020 .
- Janick Nolting: Berlinale takes place in 2021 and changes the award ceremony. In: digitalfernsehen.de. August 24, 2020, accessed August 25, 2020 .
- Film Festival: Criticism of Berlinale for gender-neutral price. In: Small newspaper . August 25, 2020, accessed August 25, 2020 .
- Uwe Mantel: Changes at the Berlinale: Acting Association criticizes gender-neutral prices. In: Dwdl.de . August 25, 2020, accessed August 25, 2020 .