Hong Sang-soo with Kim Min-hee and Isabelle Huppert at the 70th Cannes Film Festival (2017)
He studied at ChungAng University in Seoul , in the USA at the California College of Arts and Crafts , and at the Art Institute of Chicago . Finally he spent several months in France at the Cinémathèque française in Paris . He has been married since 1985. The couple have a daughter. However, in June 2016 it became known that he had been living with actress Kim Min-hee for several months . In December 2016, Hong filed for divorce. After much back and forth, the Seoul Family Court ruled in June 2019 that the marriage would not be divorced. Hong is to blame for the breakup of the marriage, which means that only the injured party can claim a divorce. Hong did not appeal. The verdict does not change the fact that his marriage is de facto over. If the social circumstances change in South Korea, he would like to try again to get confirmation from a court. Until then, he will concentrate on his own life and his film projects.
His subtle, intellectual films, often about fear of death and professional failure, self-pity and neurotic relationships, receive good reviews, but are only moderately successful with South Korean audiences and are more widely received in other European countries, especially in France, than in Hong's home country . Ekkehard Knörer describes them in the taz : “Again and again the drinking bouts, the outbreaks of violence, artists full of self-pity between women who often put up with too much for too long. The characters, the stories are alike , Hong is similar to the great Yasujiro Ozu , a master of serial variation, not one who reinvents himself from film to film. But if you take a closer look at the details, it becomes clear: He is a highly subtle director. However, the background does not consist so much in ramifications, but rather in repetitive structures. ”The Austrian standard compares the nesting techniques with similar processes in Alain Resnais' work .
In 1996 his film The day on which a pig fell into the well ( Daijiga umule pajinnal ) was shown at the International Film Festival Mannheim-Heidelberg . He was featured in the 2008 Berlinale competition with Bam gua nat . In 2010 he received the Prix Certain Regard for Ha ha ha at the 63rd Cannes Film Festival .
In 2012, Hong Sang-soo completed the feature film In Another Country ( Dareun Nara-eseo ), which he shot mainly in English for the first time. The leading actress is the French Isabelle Huppert , who portrays three different women named Anne who visit the same beach hotel and make the same acquaintances. In Another Country , the director received his third invitation to the competition at the Cannes International Film Festival in 2012 , but remained unprofitable. In 2013 he won the Locarno International Film Festival 's directing award for Uri Sunhi , who describes a woman from the perspective of three men who were in love with her. In 2015 Hong competed again in the Locarno competition and with Jigeumeun Matgo Geuttaeneun Teullida (English festival title: Right Now, Wrong Then ) won the main prize of the festival, the Golden Leopard . The film focuses on a married film director ( Jung Jae-young ) who arrives one day early for a film screening in Suwon and, while passing the time, comes closer to a painter ( Kim Min-hee ). Hong also cast Kim Min-hee in his next two films. While starring alongside Isabelle Huppert in the comedy Claire's Camera (Keul-Le-Eo-Ui-Ka-Me-La) filmed at the 2016 Cannes Film Festival , she slipped for The Day After (Geu-Hu) into the role of a new employee of the publishing house whose predecessor had an affair with the boss. Both films were shown at the 70th Cannes Film Festival in 2017 , with Hong receiving his fourth invitation to the Palme d'Or competition for The Day After .
In 2018 he was appointed to the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences , which awards the Oscars every year. In 2020 he received another invitation to compete at the 70th Berlin International Film Festival for his feature film Domangchin yeoja ( The Woman Who Ran ) . Hong cast the lead role again with Kim Min-hee. In Berlin, the film was awarded the Silver Bear for best director .
- 1996: The day a pig fell into the well ( Daijiga umule pajinnal )
- 1998: The Power of Kangwon Province ( Kangwon-do ui him )
- 2000: Virgin Stripped Bare by Her Bachelors ( Oh! Soo-jung )
- 2002: On the Occasion of Remembering the Turning Gate ( Saenghwalui balgyeon )
- 2004: Woman is the Future of Man ( Yeojaneun namjaui miraeda )
- 2005: A cinema history (OT: Geuk jang jeon , reference title: Tale of Cinema)
- 2006: Woman on the Beach ( Haebyonui yoin )
- 2008: Night and Day ( Bam gua nat )
- 2009: Like you know it all ( Jal aljido mothamyeonseo )
- 2010: Hahaha
- 2010: Oki's Movie ( Ok-hui-ui yeonghwa )
- 2011: The day he arrives ( Book-chon-bang-hyang )
- 2012: In Another Country ( Da-reun na-ra-e-seo )
- 2013: Haewon and the Men ( Nugu-ui Ttal-do Anin Haewon )
- 2013: Uri Sunhi
- 2015: Right Now, Wrong Then ( 지금 은 맞고 그때 는 틀리다 Jigeumeun Matgo Geuttaeneun Teullida )
- 2016: Yourself and Yours ( 당신 자신 과 당신 의 것 Dangsinjasin-gwa Dangsin-ui Geot )
- 2017: On the Beach at Night Alone
- 2017: Claire's Camera ( 클레어 의 카메라 Keul-Le-Eo-Ui-Ka-Me-La )
- 2017: The Day After ( 그 후 Geu-Hu )
- 2018: Grass ( 풀잎 들 Puripdeul )
- 2018: Hotel by the River ( 강변 호텔 Gangbyeon Hotel )
- 2020: The Woman Who Ran ( 도망친 여자 Domangchin yeoja )
- Hong Sang-soo in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Hong Sang-soo in the Korean Movie Database
- Hong Sang-soo on HanCinema
- Biography (English)
- Presentation in the Village Voice (English)
- "I'm like a magnet" Interview in the taz (February 13, 2008)
- Ekkehard Knörer: Retrospective: Reward for seeing again. In: taz.de (November 1, 2012)
- Kim Eun-hae: 김민희 · 홍상수 감독 불륜 설, 이미 퍼져 있던 소문 .. 데이트 목격 설 까지. In: stoo.asiae.co.kr. June 21, 2016. Retrieved June 21, 2016 (Korean).
- South Korean court tells cheating husband he must stay married Read more at channelnewsasia.com. In: Channel News Asia. June 14, 2019, accessed July 1, 2019 .
- Court dismisses filmmaker Hong Sang-soo's divorce suit. In: The Korea Herald . Yonhap , June 14, 2019, accessed July 1, 2019 .
- Director Hong Sang-soo Drops Divorce Proceedings. In: Chosun Ilbo . July 1, 2019, accessed July 1, 2019 .
- Ekkehard Knörer : Fish buried in the forest , taz of September 8, 2005.
- If you love me, drink a cocktail , Der Standard from October 19, 2005.
- film profile at timeout.com (accessed on 22 April 2012).
- Academy invites 928 to Membersphip . In: oscars.org (accessed June 26, 2018).
- The prizes of the International Jury 2020 . In: berlinale.de (accessed on March 3, 2020).
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||홍상수 (Korean, Hangeul); 洪尚秀 (Korean, Hanja); Hong, Sang-su (Revised Romanization); Hong, Sangsu (McCune-Reischauer)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||South Korean director|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 25, 1960|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Seoul , South Korea|