|Seat:||Berlin , Potsdam|
COSMO (together with Radio Bremen and WDR )
Sorbischer Rundfunk (together with MDR )
Radio 3 (former)
Radio Kultur (former)
Radio Multikulti (former)
RBB Berlin (former)
RBB Brandenburg (former)
|Legal form:||Institute of public right|
The rbb was created on May 1, 2003 through the merger of the broadcaster Free Berlin (SFB) and the Ostdeutscher Rundfunk Brandenburg (ORB). It is a member of the working group of the public broadcasting corporations of the Federal Republic of Germany (ARD) and has the legal form of a non-profit, legally competent public-law corporation .
Note : The original spelling of the station abbreviation, which deviates from the official spelling rules, is retained as a proper name in the article.
The rbb started broadcasting on May 1, 2003. He took over the programs of the previous SFB and the ORB:
- on TV
- on the radio:
Radio Kultur and Radio 3 were merged on December 1, 2003 to form the new Kulturradio program .
On May 21st, 2008 the management of the rbb announced that on December 31st, 2008 Radio Multikulti and the program Polylux should be discontinued. This was justified with the station's financial problems. With this measure, the rbb hoped to save EUR 36 million for the period 2009 to 2013.
The Berlin location is on the one hand opposite the Berlin radio tower in the Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf district in the " Haus des Rundfunks ", which opened in 1931 and in which the radio programs rbb 88.8 , Kulturradio and Inforadio are produced and whose two broadcasting rooms are also used for public concerts. and on the other hand in the new building on Theodor-Heuss-Platz that was built next to it in the years 1963–71.
The largest location of the transmitter is the rbb site in the media city Babelsberg , Potsdam , with an area of over 30,000 m² . a. the modern television broadcasting center, office building and the radio houses for Antenne Brandenburg , Fritz and Radio Eins are located, as are the community facilities ARD Digital , the ARD Play-Out-Center, the editing of ARD-Videotext and the German Broadcasting Archive (DRA) Babelsberg . In addition to the editorial rooms, mask and archive, there are also the television studios, in which u. a. TV formats such as Brandenburg aktuell , rbb24 or zibb emerge.
Every five years, responsibility for the ARD studio in Warsaw changes between rbb and WDR. In the period from 2014 to 2019, it was held by rbb.
Organization and finance
The rbb's Broadcasting Council consists of 29 members who are appointed for a term of four years; the current term of office runs from February 26, 2015 to February 25, 2019. Friederike von Kirchbach has been the chairman since 2013 , and Martin Rennert is the vice chairman . Former chairmen of the committee were Hans Helmut Prinzler (2009 to 2012), Ulrike Liedtke (2005 to 2009), Lothar Romain (2005), Bertram Althausen (2003 to 2004). Almost a third (31%) of the members are active politicians ( SPD : 5, CDU : 2, Bündnis 90 / Die Grünen : 1, Die Linke : 1).
Board of Directors
The Board of Directors comprises eight members who are elected for a four-year term; the last election took place on April 16, 2015. Wolf-Dieter Wolf has been the chairman since October 22, 2013 , in this position he succeeds Hartmann Kleiner , who has held the office since the rbb was founded. Jutta Quoos is the deputy chairwoman.
Membership in the Broadcasting Council and the Board of Directors is remunerated with a fixed monthly allowance as well as a respective attendance fee. In December 2018, the Broadcasting Council decided to increase these amounts for the next terms of office of the two bodies.
The first director of the rbb was Dagmar Reim from May 1, 2003 to June 30, 2016 . Patricia Schlesinger has been the new director of the rbb since July 1, 2016 . Four directors report directly to her with the following tasks:
- Jan Schulte-Kellinghaus (Program Director)
- Christoph Augenstein (Production and Operations Management)
- Hagen Brandstäter (Administrative Directorate)
- Susann Lange (Legal and Corporate Development Directorate)
2014, the station employed about 3300 employees regularly, about 1,500 of them as employee-like freelancers. The total personnel expenses in 2014 were 178.077 million euros.
The rbb is largely financed by income from the broadcasting fee , which it receives both directly and through returns from the share of the state media authorities in accordance with Section 15a (2) sentence 2 of the State Media Treaty. In its business plan for 2016, the rbb assumed an annual deficit of almost EUR 27 million in its business plan, despite expected increases in income, mainly due to rapidly increasing pension costs.
Contribution income of the rbb:
|year||Premium income||Return flows from media companies||Total premium income||source|
|2013||€ 372.821 million||€ 3.714 million||€ 376.535 million|
|2014||€ 426.464 million||€ 4.258 million||€ 430.722 million|
|2015||€ 409.242 million||€ 3.762 million||€ 413.004 million|
|2016||€ 398.354 million||€ 3.561 million||€ 401.915 million|
|2017||€ 400.317 million||€ 3.484 million||€ 403.801 million|
Legal and Financial Supervision
The legal supervision of the rbb rotates according to § 39 State Treaty every two years between the State of Berlin - here the Governing Mayor of Berlin is responsible according to the business allocation plan - and the State of Brandenburg , State Chancellery. Based on the date of the first constituent meeting of the RBB Broadcasting Council on December 18, 2002, the change takes place on this date, starting with Berlin, followed by Brandenburg from December 18, 2004 and so on and so forth.
According to Section 30 of the State Treaty, the financial supervision and thus the authority to audit the budget and economic management as well as the accounting of the establishment rests jointly with the Audit Office of Berlin and the State Audit Office of Brandenburg .
The rbb has to ensure that both state treaty states Berlin and Brandenburg are supplied equally, taking into account the regional program needs. He currently produces the following television and radio programs - alone or in cooperation with other radio or television companies:
- The first German television - joint program of the ARD
- rbb television - third television program for Berlin and Brandenburg, emerged from SFB1 and ORB television . Between 7.30 p.m. and 8 p.m. the broadcasting chain is regionalized and the evening show is broadcast in Berlin and the program “ Brandenburg aktuell ” is broadcast in Brandenburg .
- Phoenix - joint event channel of ARD and ZDF
- KiKA - children's channel from ARD and ZDF
- ARTE - German-French cultural channel
- 3sat - cultural channel from ARD, ZDF, ORF and SRG
- One - ARD specialty program
- tagesschau24 - ARD specialty program
- rbb 88.8 - The ARD national wave for Berlin from Berlin
- Antenne Brandenburg - State program for Brandenburg from Potsdam with regional information from the studios in Potsdam, Cottbus, Frankfurt (Oder), Perleberg and Prenzlau
- Radio Eins - daily program from Potsdam, designed for listeners aged 25 and over
- Fritz - youth radio from Potsdam
- rbbKultur - culture and classical music from Berlin
- Inforadio - information and news program from Berlin
- Sorbian Broadcasting - joint program with the MDR in the Sorbian languages
- COSMO - integrative program by WDR and Radio Bremen , which is produced in cooperation with rbb; During the day in German, in the evening in 14 other languages (replaced the Radio Multikulti produced by the rbb on December 31, 2008 )
The rbb has expanded its presence on the Internet since the late 1990s. All of the rbb's radio stations can currently be accessed as live streams on the Internet. As part of the ARD Mediathek , the rbb Mediathek offers a portal for freely available videos, live streams , news and multimedia content at the internet address www.rbb24.de . In April 2017, the Association of Newspaper Publishers in Berlin and East Germany (VZBO) filed a lawsuit against this online presence at the Potsdam Regional Court, since in its view the representation there is still too press-like despite a warning and therefore violates the State Broadcasting Treaty. The judgment issued on July 25, 2018 confirmed this view: The design of the portal was inadmissible at the relevant time. The RBB now wants to have this judgment reviewed by the next higher instance and appealed to the Brandenburg Higher Regional Court on September 6th .
For ARD, the rbb produces crime films for the series Tatort and Polizeiruf 110 , the political magazine Kontraste and the satirical program nuhr im Erste (until 2014 under the name Satire Gipfel ), which has been broadcast since 2009 as the successor to the windshield wiper . Since 2018 the rbb has taken over the production of the ARD-Mittagsmagazin .
From 2003 to 2005 rbb television broadcast The Kurt Krömer Show , which received national attention. Since then, the station has been producing the follow-up formats Bei Krömers (2005/06) as well as Krömer - Die Internationale Show (2007–2011) and Krömer - Late Night Show (2012–2014) for Erste (ARD). Since 2005 rbb television has also broadcast the talk show Thadeusz , in which presenter Jörg Thadeusz welcomes prominent guests from politics, business and culture. This program became known especially for its Fiese Sieben column , within which the respective guest is consciously confronted with subjectively formulated questions.
The regional news program Berliner Abendschau, which was taken over and continued by the SFB, is also well known in the capital region . Since 1958, initially with a slot on the ARD (including Germany-wide broadcast of John F. Kennedy's visit to Berlin ), later in the third program of the SFB, the evening show as a city magazine reports on politics, economy, sport and current affairs in Berlin.
Der Ohrbär is a radio broadcast for four to eight year old children that has been taken over and continued by the SFB and has been broadcast since 1987. Another radio program for children in the rbb's repertoire is the program Zappelduster , which began broadcasting on Radio Brandenburg in 1992 and has been broadcast daily on Antenne Brandenburg since 1997.
The transmitter mast for VHF and TV on Berlin's Scholzplatz has been the only transmitter operated by rbb itself since 2006.
In addition, transmission systems from Deutsche Funkturm GmbH are used to broadcast rbb television. These transmitter locations are Berlin Alexanderplatz , Berlin Schäferberg , Boossen / Treplin and Calau .
The rbb's VHF radio programs are broadcast by the network operator Uplink Network GmbH from the transmitter locations Berlin Alexanderplatz , Berlin Scholzplatz , Bad Belzig , Boossen / Treplin , Calau , Casekow , Cottbus (city), Guben, Lübben, Perleberg, Prenzlau, Pritzwalk , Wittstock and Oranienburg broadcast.
The television program is transmitted digitally as DVB-T . It is also in Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania, Saxony, Saxony-Anhalt and Thuringia within the bouquets of the NDR resp. MDR to see.
In addition to the VHF transmission of the radio programs, the rbb is participating in the DAB pilot project.
Since June 2013 the rbb has also been offering a live stream on its own website.
Former transmitter systems
An MW transmitter on Stallupöner Allee in Berlin was switched off on January 1, 2006 and later dismantled.
The rbb has stakes in the following companies and institutions (the amount of stake in brackets):
- rbb media GmbH (100%)
- media sales & services GmbH (100%) Markets advertising time and sponsoring .
- “Der Apparat” Multimedia GmbH (90%) founded in 1998 by Robert Skuppin and Volker Wieprecht and taken over by rbb in 2011.
- DOKfilm Fernsehproduktion GmbH (50%)
- ARD-Werbung SALES & SERVICES GmbH (11.11%)
- Audio Verlag GmbH (4%)
- ems - electronic media school / School for electronic media gGmbH (50%)
- roc berlin - Rundfunk-Orchester und -Chöre gGmbH Berlin (5%) Holding company since January 1st, 1994 for the orchestras of the former radio stations in Berlin. This includes the Rundfunk-Sinfonieorchester Berlin (RSB), the German Symphony Orchestra Berlin (DSO), the Rundfunkchor Berlin and the RIAS Chamber Choir .
- DEGETO FILM GmbH (11.11%)
- Institute for Broadcast Technology GmbH (5.71%)
- SportA Sports Rights and Marketing Agency GmbH (5.56%)
- ARD / ZDF media academy gGmbH (5.3%)
- ARTE Deutschland TV GmbH (4%) No commercial participation according to the participation report.
- Stiftung Deutsches Rundfunkarchiv (14.28%) No commercial participation according to the participation report.
- ASKANIA MEDIA GmbH (10%) stake was sold to Bavaria Film GmbH on January 31, 2016 .
- Studio Berlin Broadcast GmbH (SBB) (5%) A Studio Hamburg spin-off, stake was sold in 2016.
- Rundfunkbetriebstechnik GmbH (RBT) (2.4%) Due to the withdrawal of non-profit status in 2009, transfer to the non-incorporated ARGE Rundfunk-Betriebstechnik on August 1, 2011 and liquidation of the GmbH on July 8, 2014.
In 2016, according to Rundfunk Berlin-Brandenburg, a "serious incident", a conflict of interest in their own ranks, was made public: For a broadcast of the ARD morning magazine, reporter Viktoria Kleber interviewed employees of a Berlin advertising agency with which she herself had a close business connection had not communicated this fact beforehand. After a complaint was received about this case, the DRPR issued a complaint to Kleber in September 2017.
Salary level and structure
In its 2018 annual report, the Berlin Court of Audit clearly criticized the level and structure of remuneration at the rbb. The complaint is that "the rbb did not have a uniform collective bargaining system at the time of the audit and has still not completely standardized the terms and conditions of work and remuneration since it was set up, its employees significantly better than those within the scope of the TV-L , and areas of work not properly assesses, grants allowances as well as non-tariff benefits which are not justified and documented with regard to their necessity or amount, the tasks of a family pension fund are still performing the tasks of a family fund itself and in some cases inadequately ”.
In addition, as with the other public broadcasters, the amount of the director's salary is the subject of regular public criticism at the rbb. For the current director, Schlesinger, it is 257,000 euros annually (as of 2018), after the previous figure it was 240,000 euros for her predecessor Reim. The adequacy of the company pension scheme is also controversial.
The painting of the rbb cars with claims such as “BUT NOT BORED” meets with criticism from both employees and outsiders, as they are often near accident sites or in areas where the rbb has a bad reputation. Individual cars with less offensive paintwork were purchased, but these are not enough to prevent such situations.
Use of space by third parties
The German television ballet , which has now been privatized, has had its headquarters in the television center since 1992 , since rehearsal studio C there has been expanded as a ballet hall since it opened in 1971. The German Symphony Orchestra Berlin is rehearsing its performances in the “ Ferenc Fricsay Hall”, which was built in 1995 from a part of the former porch in which large-format television sets were previously built.
The rbb has an art collection with works by Otto Antoine , Lutz Brandt , Christo , Carla Fioravanti , Rolf Händler , Thomas Hartmann , Harald Metzkes , Arno Mohr , Kurt Mühlenhaupt , Karl Oppermann , Hans-Otto Schmidt , Friedrich Schötschel , Herbert Tucholski , Ulla Walter . The husband of the former director Reim, Rudolf Großkopff, who also performs this function at NDR , acts as the art commissioner . Part of the collection has been on view since 2005 as a traveling exhibition curated by Großkopff with the title Land, Stadt, Land - Views of Brandenburg and Berlin at changing locations in Berlin and Brandenburg. The Berlin-Brandenburg Broadcasting Corporation has so far not given any information about the entire scope and value of the art collection. However, the number of works of art was quantified by the art commissioner in a contradicting manner and ranges from “around 75 images” (Großkopff 2008) to “350 to 400 images” (Großkopff 2010).
- Rundfunk Berlin-Brandenburg Internet presence
- Rundfunk Berlin-Brandenburg (RBB) entry in the ABC of ARD
- Employee of the Broadcasting Berlin-Brandenburg Internet presence
- State treaty on the establishment of a joint broadcasting company between the states of Berlin and Brandenburg of June 25, 2002
- RBB starts joint evening program for Berlin and Brandenburg Entry from November 10, 2003 in the ARD chronicle
- RBB starts joint evening program for Berlin and Brandenburg. Entry for November 10, 2003 in the ARD chronicle . Retrieved November 3, 2018 . The abbreviation, which was originally capitalized, as is the case with all ARD broadcasters, is still in use in addition to lower case, for example on the ARD website.
- State Treaty on the establishment of a joint broadcasting corporation between the states of Berlin and Brandenburg of June 25, 2002 , accessed on March 22, 2016.
- Rundfunk Berlin-Brandenburg, Potsdam location , rbb-online.de, accessed on February 2, 2019.
- Broadcasting Council of Rundfunk Berlin-Brandenburg. Retrieved November 3, 2018.
- RBB Board of Directors under new chairmanship. In: Chronicle of the ARD. ARD , October 22, 2013, accessed on January 22, 2019 .
- RBB Board of Directors constituted. In: Chronicle of the ARD. ARD, January 20, 2003, accessed on January 22, 2019 .
- Board of Directors of Rundfunk Berlin-Brandenburg. Retrieved November 3, 2018.
- The compensation of the supervisors: What the broadcasting councils cost in: Kressreport from July 6, 2015, accessed on March 4, 2016.
- Bylaws of Rundfunk Berlin-Brandenburg dated June 30, 2003 in the version dated February 13, 2014. (PDF; 191 kB) p. 8, § 25 , accessed on January 22, 2019 .
- Markus Ehrenberg: More expense allowances in the RBB broadcasting council. In: tagesspiegel.de. Der Tagesspiegel , December 6, 2018, accessed on January 22, 2019 .
- Kurt Sagatz: Rundfunk Berlin-Brandenburg: Christoph Augenstein becomes the new RBB director. In: Der Tagesspiegel . Verlag Der Tagesspiegel GmbH, April 12, 2018, accessed on July 6, 2018 .
- ard.de: Income and expenditure account of the RBB 2014 (PDF; 51.2 kB), accessed on December 6, 2015.
- State Treaty on Cooperation between Berlin and Brandenburg in the Media Area of February 29, 1992, page 12 (PDF; 107 kB), accessed on March 20, 2018.
- The pension makes the RBB difficult to create in: BZ Berlin from December 4, 2015, accessed on December 6, 2015.
- Facts and Figures 2017 page 5 (PDF; 754 kB), accessed on March 20, 2018.
- Numbers and facts, as of May 2019, page 5 (PDF; 799 kB), accessed on June 29, 2019.
- Article I., 24th of the division of responsibilities of the Berlin Senate , accessed on March 22, 2016.
- Rundfunk Berlin-Brandenburg (RBB): Rundfunkrat constitutes itself Chronik der ARD, accessed on August 31, 2018.
- "Too press-like": Regional publishers are now also suing the RBB online offer. Article from April 19, 2017 on media.de , accessed on June 1, 2018.
- Leonie Gubela: RBB loses in court. In: taz . July 27, 2018, accessed November 3, 2018 .
- Volker Nünning: Dispute over online offer: RBB moves to the Brandenburg Higher Regional Court. (No longer available online.) In: Medien-Korrespondenz (MK). October 1, 2018, archived from the original on January 7, 2019 ; accessed on January 7, 2019 .
- David Denk: MiMa moves to Berlin . In: sueddeutsche.de . 2018, ISSN 0174-4917 ( sueddeutsche.de [accessed on September 14, 2018]).
- Livestream rbb television , accessed on June 18, 2013.
- Participation of Rundfunk Berlin-Brandenburg for the year 2016 (PDF; 683 kB), accessed on April 13, 2018.
- the apparat website, accessed on April 13, 2018.
- Rundfunk Berlin-Brandenburg: Beteiligungsbericht 2011. P. 7, 75–79 , accessed on January 7, 2019 .
- advertising on ARD? RBB presenter presented her own company in the “Morgenmagazin” article from August 24, 2016 in BZ -online, accessed on March 18, 2018.
- ARD summer interview: Advertising in the "Morgenmagazin" article from August 22, 2016 in uebermedien.de, accessed on March 18, 2018.
- DRPR procedure 07/2016: Complaints Committee Company & Market Case: Gretchen GmbH / Viktoria Kleber. (PDF; 290 kB) In: drpr-online.de. September 22, 2017. Retrieved November 3, 2018 .
- Salaries and allowances in the ARD , accessed on October 27, 2018.
- RBB pays too high salaries, criticizes the Court of Auditors in: BZ Berlin from 23 August 2018, accessed on 27 October 2018.
- Berlin Court of Auditors: Annual Report 2018 , pages 276 to 287 (PDF; 3.06 MB), accessed on October 27, 2018.
- RBB director: “There are no dream salaries here” Article from October 8, 2017 in: Berliner Morgenpost , accessed on October 27, 2018.
- 60 percent of her last annual salary: 12,000 euros pension for RBB boss Dagmar Reim Article from May 22, 2016 in: kressNEWS , accessed on October 27, 2018.
- rbb marketing hinders the work of rbb reporters. In: Übermedien. October 2, 2018, accessed June 4, 2019 (German).
- Berliner Blick - Pictures from the art collection of Rundfunk Berlin-Brandenburg , accessed on March 6, 2016.
- Exhibition "Land, Stadt, Land" in Fürstenwalde , accessed on March 6, 2016.
- Works of art owned by rbb can be seen for one week in Bernau in: Märkische Oderzeitung from October 17, 2008, accessed on March 6, 2016.
- WDR has anger with its art collection article from September 10, 2015 in Süddeutsche Zeitung -online, accessed on March 17, 2018.
- Janett Neiser: Half a century of art history. In: Märkische Oderzeitung . April 22, 2010, accessed December 2, 2018 .