Carrey has been one of the most successful comedians in Hollywood since the 1994 comedy film Ace Ventura . For his acting performances in The Truman Show (1998) and The Moon Man (1999) he won a Golden Globe Award .
Carrey grew up in poor conditions. The class clown, whose role model is Jerry Lewis , made his classmates laugh with regular appearances already in school. At the age of ten he applied to the Carol Burnett Show . At the age of 15, Carrey was a stand-up comedian on the stages of various comedy clubs in Toronto . In 1978 he dropped out of school for financial reasons and moved to Los Angeles to become an actor. Shortly thereafter he was a permanent member of the ensemble in Mitzi Shore's Comedy Store and also took on minor supporting roles in films.
Carrey had his breakthrough as a comedian in 1982 when he appeared in the opening act on a tour of the entertainer Rodney Dangerfield . In the same year he got his own TV show The Duck Factory . He made his big screen debut in 1985, Please Bite Again, and appeared in Francis Ford Coppola's Peggy Sue Married To in 1986 . In 1987 Carrey played his first leading role as a sex-hungry alien in the comedy Zebo, the Third from the Center of the Stars , which hit theaters in 1989. From 1990 he was seen in the sitcom In Living Color .
Carrey became known worldwide in 1994 for the title role in the slapstick comedy Ace Ventura - An animal detective . The film flunked critics and earned Carrey a worst new star nomination for the Golden Raspberry , but it was well received by audiences and grossed over $ 72 million. After this success, Carrey was cast in two other leading roles in the same year: Both The Mask and Dumm and Dumber were successful , as was the sequel Ace Ventura - It's getting wild in the following year. The three films grossed over $ 100 million each in the United States and brought Carrey numerous awards (including Comedy Star of the Year 1995 , People's Choice Award ), which earned him the reputation of a "new Jerry Lewis ". Carrey's distinctive gestures and facial expressions as well as his voice imitations became his trademarks.
In the hit comic book version Batman Forever, Carrey played the role of villain Riddler . He could now demand higher fees than before. In 1996 he received $ 20 million for Cable Guy , but financially the film fell short of expectations. In 1997, Carrey had another huge hit with The Dummies , which grossed over $ 300 million and earned him a Golden Globe nomination for best comedian.
Carrey played his first tragicomic role in Peter Weir's drama The Truman Show . The film is about a man who has played the leading role in a television series without his knowledge since he was born. Not only did this film hit the box office, but it earned Carrey critical acclaim. In his next project, The Moon Man , he showed himself from his serious side in 1999 and portrayed Andy Kaufman , a comedian who was both revered and controversial in the USA. For The Truman Show and The Moon Man , Carrey was each awarded the Golden Globe for best performance in a drama or a comedy, which he had established as a serious actor.
Carrey starred in several financially successful slapstick comedies from 2000 onwards, including Me, Both & Them (2000), The Grinch (2000), Bruce Almighty (2003), Lemony Snicket - A Mysterious Events (2004) and Dick and Jane (2005) the main role. He also worked in films such as The Majestic (2001), Forget Mine Not! (2004) and Number 23 (2007), which deviated from his usual cast. However, Forget Mine was not! Critical praised and won the European Film Award for Best Non-European Film and the Oscar for Best Screenplay. He was originally intended for the role of Captain Jack Sparrow in the Pirates of the Caribbean series, which was ultimately given to Johnny Depp .
At the end of 2009, a reinterpretation of the classic A Christmas Story by director Robert Zemeckis , Disney's A Christmas Story , was released in cinemas. In this film, Carrey voiced the grumpy Scrooge and two of the three Christmas ghosts.
His German voice actor is mostly Stefan Fredrich .
Carrey was married to Melissa Womer from 1987 to 1995, a daughter born in 1987, Jane Carrey. From 1996 to 1997 he was married to actress Lauren Holly , his co-star of Dumb and Dumber . Carrey was in a relationship with his film partner Renée Zellweger while filming Ich, both & Sie (1999) . In 2004 he also received American citizenship. Carrey lived with model Jenny McCarthy from 2005 to March 2010 . At the beginning of April 2010, Carrey announced on Twitter that they had split up in friendship after five years.
On August 24, 2011, Carrey caused a stir with a video message to actress Emma Stone , in which he confessed his love to her. Carrey did not comment on speculations as to whether this was meant seriously or just calculated satire.
From 2012 to 2015 Carrey was in an on-off relationship with the depressed make-up artist Cathriona White (born September 14, 1985, † September 28, 2015). Four days before the Irish woman's suicide in Los Angeles , the couple separated, and he is said to have been towards an end of the relationship. She is said to have tried to take her own life after her father's death in 2012.
In August 2017, Carrey published the six-minute film I Needed Color by David Bushell on the video portal Vimeo , in which he introduces himself as an “obsessed” painter: “I had become so obsessed that there was nowhere to move in my home.” The lavish film shows Carrey at work in the studio and many of his works. In the voiceover, Carrey explains what is important to him about painting.
- 1983: The Sex and Violence Family Hour (short film)
- 1983: Fun on Copper Mountain (Copper Mountain)
- 1983: Applause for Janet ( Introducing… Janet , short film)
- 1983: All in Good Taste
- 1984: Buffalo Bill (TV series, 1 episode)
- 1984: The Duck Factory (TV series, 13 episodes)
- 1984: The Chaos Express / Whoever Has, He Has (Finders Keepers)
- 1985: Once Bitten, please
- 1986: Peggy Sue got married (Peggy Sue Got Married)
- 1988: Dirty Harry V - Das Todesspiel (The Dead Pool)
- 1988: Zebo, the third from the center of the stars (Earth Girls Are Easy)
- 1989: Mike Hammer: Girls, Morde und Moneten ( Murder Takes All , TV movie)
- 1989: Pink Cadillac
- 1990–1994: In Living Color (TV series, 125 episodes)
- 1991: a pain in the ass (High Strung)
- 1992: Appearances are deceptive ( Doing Time on Maple Drive , TV movie)
- 1994: Ace Ventura: Pet Detective
- 1994 The Mask (The Mask)
- 1994: Dumb and Dumber (Dumb & Dumber)
- 1995: Batman Forever
- 1995: Ace Ventura - It's getting wild (Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls)
- 1996: Cable Guy - The pain in the ass (The Cable Guy)
- 1997: Liar Liar (Liar Liar)
- 1998: The Truman Show (The Truman Show)
- 1998: Simon Birch
- 1999: Man on the Moon (Man on the Moon)
- 2000: Me, Both & Them (Me, Myself & Irene)
- 2000: The Grinch (How the Grinch Stole Christmas)
- 2001: The Majestic
- 2003: Pecan Pie (short film)
- 2003: Bruce Almighty (Bruce Almighty)
- 2004: don't forget mine! (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind)
- 2004: Lemony Snicket 's A Series of Unfortunate Events
- 2005: Dick and Jane (Fun with Dick and Jane)
- 2007: Number 23 (The Number 23)
- 2008: Horton hears a who! ( Horton Hears a Who ! , voice of Horton )
- 2008: The Yes Man
- 2009: Disney's A Christmas Carol
- 2009: I love you Phillip Morris
- 2010: Presidential Reunion (short film)
- 2011: Mr. Poppers Penguins (Mr. Popper's Penguins)
- 2012: 30 Rock (TV series, 1 episode)
- 2013: Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues
- 2013: Hawking (documentary)
- 2013: The Incredible Burt Wonderstone (The Incredible Burt Wonderstone)
- 2013: Kick-Ass 2
- 2014: Dumb and Dumber To (Dumb and Dumber To)
- 2016: The Bad Batch
- 2016: Dark Crimes
- 2017: Jim and Andy ( Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond , documentary)
- 2018–2020: Kidding (TV series, 20 episodes)
- 2020: Sonic the Hedgehog
Awards / nominations (selection)
- 1995: Nomination: Best performance by an actor in a movie - musical / comedy - for Die Maske
- 1998: Nomination: Best performance by an actor in a movie - musical / comedy - for Der Dummschwätzer
- 1999: Win: Best Actor Performance in a Motion Picture Drama for The Truman Show
- 2000: Prize: Best performance by an actor in a movie - musical / comedy - for Der Mondmann
- 2001: Nomination: Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical / Comedy - for The Grinch
- 2005: Nomination: Best performance by an actor in a movie - musical / comedy - for Forget Mine Not!
- 2018: Nomination: Best Performance by an Actor in a TV Series - Comedy - for Kidding
- 1995: Nomination: Worst newcomer: Ace Ventura - An animal detective , Dumm and Dumber and The Mask
- 2008: Nomination: Worst Actor: Number 23
- 1995: Best Comedian: ( Dumb and Dumber ) and Best Kiss in a movie: (with Lauren Holly in Dumb and Dumber )
- 1996: Best Actor ( Ace Ventura - It's Getting Wild ) and Best Comedian: (Ace Ventura - It's Getting Wild)
- 1997: Best Villain ( Cable Guy ) and Best Comedian (Cable Guy)
- 1998: Best Comedian ( The Dummies )
- 1999: Best Actor ( The Truman Show )
- 2001: Best Villain ( The Grinch )
- 2009: Best Comedian ( The Yes Sayer )
- Jim Carrey: How Roland Rolls. Illustrated by Rob Nason. Some Kind of Garden Media, 2013, ISBN 978-0-9893680-0-1 .
- Jim Carrey, Dana Vachon: Memoirs and Misinformation. Knopf, 2020, ISBN 978-0-5256559-7-8 .
- Official website ( Memento of May 4, 2015 in the Internet Archive )
- Portrait on Cinema.com (English)
- Jim Carrey Online - English speaking fansite
- Literature by and about Jim Carrey in the catalog of the German National Library
- Jim Carrey in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Jim Carrey in the German dubbing file
- Cinema : Background article Full of the role: Hollywoods cast carousel issue 02/11, p. 80.
- Ex-Playmate goodbye: Jim Carrey announces separation via Twitter , Spiegel Online from April 7, 2010
- Message of the separation on Carrey's Twitter account on April 6, 2010
- Carrey to Emma Stone: Shot in the Freckles , Spiegel Online, August 25, 2011
- Jim Carrey's Message to Emma Stone ( Memento of the original from September 23, 2011 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. dated August 24, 2011
- Jim Carrey - this sad suicide note was left by his ex-girlfriend, Der Stern, on July 7, 2016
- For a long time Jim Carrey had disappeared into oblivion. Now there is a sign of life. He became a painter. Out of lovesickness. , Süddeutsche Zeitung of August 11, 2017
- Jim Carrey: I Needed Color www.vimeo.com, accessed on August 27, 2017 (English)
- Chart sources: UK
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Carrey, James Eugene (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Canadian-American comedian and film actor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||17th January 1962|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Newmarket , Ontario, Canada|