With his debut feature film Foreign Land in 1995 he won eight international awards, including Best Brazilian Film of the Year.
For his feature film Central Station , he received the Golden Bear for Best Film at the Berlinale and his leading actress Fernanda Montenegro for Best Actress. Already at the Sundance Film Festival there was the Sundance-NHK Cinema 100 Award for best screenplay, a Golden Globe and two Oscar nominations the following year .
Behind the Sun of 2001 was very well received by film critics and audiences alike. The film was nominated in the Oscar category of Best Foreign Film by the Association of Hollywood Foreign Press Correspondents, the National Board of Review and at the BAFTA Awards . He won the Audience Award Leoncino d'Oro at the 58th Venice International Film Festival .
In 2004, The Journey of Young Che was created , a story based on the diaries of Ernesto Guevara . This film quickly became a box-office hit in Latin America, Europe, and the United States. He won the main prize at the 2004 Hollywood Film Festival and was nominated for the European Film Awards and the Cannes International Film Festival .
In 2008 he was represented with the feature film Linha de Passe in the competition at the 61st Cannes Film Festival , where he competed for the Palme d' Or for the second time . The production was a joint effort by Salles and his compatriot Daniela Rocca, with whom he worked several times in the past, and won the actor's award for leading actress Sandra Corveloni .
In 2012 Salles completed the US production On the Road , for which Jose Rivera ( The Journey of Young Che ) provided the script version. In the film adaptation of the novel by Jack Kerouac , a classic of the Beat Generation , Garrett Hedlund , Kristen Stewart and Sam Riley played the leading roles. Salles was hired by Francis Ford Coppola , who has owned the rights to the book since 1979, but had not made his own film adaptation. For On the Road , Salles received his third invitation to the competition at the Cannes International Film Festival in 2012 .
In 2003 Salles was named one of the world's 40 best film directors by the prestigious British newspaper The Guardian .
For the development of national filmmaking in Brazil, Walter Salles has built a reputation for himself as a producer and promoter of young talent.
- 1995: Foreign Land ( Terra Estrangeira )
- 1998: Central Station ( Central do Brasil )
- 2002: Behind the Sun ( Abril Despedaçado )
- 2004: Young Che's Journey ( Diarios de motocicleta )
- 2005: Dark Water - Dark Waters ( Dark Water )
- 2006: Paris, je t'aime episode Loin du 16e
- 2008: Linha de Passe
- 2012: On the Road - Unterwegs (On the Road)
- 2014: Jia Zhangke , um homem de Fenyang (documentary about the Chinese director)
- 1998: Central Station ( Central do Brasil ), co-author
- 2001: Behind the Sun ( Abril Despedaçado ), based on the novel The Torn April by Ismail Kadaré
- 2002: Frida
- 2002: Madama Sata by Karim Ainouz
- 2002: City of God ( Cidade de Deus ) by Fernando Meirelles and Kátia Lund
- 2004: Cidade Baixa by Sergio Machado
- Walter Salles in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Walter Salles. In: Zelluloid.de. Archived from the original on December 30, 2016 .
- telepolis October 28, 2004: How did a medical student become a revolutionary?
- taz interview about identity, political cinema and the Incas
- Description at timeout.com (accessed April 23, 2012).
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Brazilian film director|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 12, 1956|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Rio de Janeiro , Brazil|