Milica "Milla" Jovovich [ ˈjɔvɔvit͡ʃ ] (born December 17, 1975 in Kiev , Ukrainian SSR , Soviet Union , Serbian Милица Јововић Milica Jovović ) is an American photo model , actress , musician , songwriter and designer of Serbian - Russian origin . She became known after success in the films The Fifth Element and Johanna von Orleans , but especially for her leading role in the film series Resident Evil .
Milla Jovovich was born as the daughter of the Serbian doctor Bogić Jovović from Montenegro (then SFR Yugoslavia ) and the Russian actress Galina Loginova Jovović. Her father's family originally came from Zlopek near Peć .
When Jovovich was five years old, her family emigrated from the Soviet Union to London in 1981 for political reasons . They then went to the United States and lived in Sacramento , California , before moving to Los Angeles seven months later . A short time later, her parents separated. Her half-brother Marco, born in 1988, was the result of her father's relationship with an Argentinian .
Jovovich married her film partner Shawn Andrews at the age of 16 , with whom she worked for the film Confusion . However, the marriage was annulled after not quite two months at her mother's request.
Jovovich has been a US citizen since 1994 . In the same year she got a contract with EMI Records and released her first album The Divine Comedy under this label , which she had already written at the age of 15 and recorded at the age of 16. It got some good reviews but fell short of expectations. The concert in Austin, Texas on December 16, 1994 - one day before her 19th birthday - was recorded live.
From 1997 to 1999 Jovovich was married to Luc Besson , who worked with her in 1997 and 1999 as a director on the films The Fifth Element and Johanna von Orleans .
In March 2003 she became engaged to the director Paul WS Anderson , whom she met while filming the first Resident Evil film, and has been married to him since August 22, 2009. Their daughter was born on November 3, 2007. On April 1, 2015, the couple had another daughter. The third daughter was born on February 2, 2020.
In addition to English and Russian , Jovovich also speaks Serbian .
She started modeling at the age of nine and was signed by the Prima modeling agency. When Jovovich was eleven, she became aware of photographer Richard Avedon . Avedon was Marketing Director at Revlon at the time and decided to shoot her together with models Alexa Singer and Sandra Zatezalo as Most Unforgettable Women in the World . In 1987, photographers Gene Lemuel and Peter Duke made Polaroids of twelve-year-old Jovovich. Lemuel later showed the photos to Herb Ritt . Ritts was so impressed by the photos that he had them photographed for the cover of Italian fashion magazine Lei . This was the first of many covers of her career. Jovovich, along with other models, sparked a heated public debate about children as photo models.
She later appeared on the cover of The Face , which led to new assignments and covers in Vogue and the Cosmopolitan . Since then, Jovovich has appeared on over 100 covers, including for Mademoiselle , Glamor , Harper's Bazaar and InStyle magazines .
During her modeling career, she worked in campaigns for Banana Republic , Christian Dior , Donna Karan , Gap , Versace , Calvin Klein , DKNY , Giorgio Armani , H&M , and Revlon . She has been an international ambassador for L'Oréal since 1998 . She also made a cameo in Bret Easton Ellis ' novel Glamorama , a satire about high society.
In an article published in 2002 she is referred to as the muse of Miuccia Prada , and in a 2003 article in Harpers & Queen magazine she is named Gianni Versace's favorite supermodel.
Milla Jovovich was also the face of Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week in Berlin in 2011 and the protagonist of the Campari calendar in 2012. In 1998 and 2012, she graced the Pirelli calendar .
Early career (1985-1993)
Jovovich's mother helped her to become an actress and so Jovovich was enrolled in a professional drama school in California in 1985. In 1988 she played her first professional role in the television movie The Night Train to Kathmandu as Lily McLeod. That same year she had a small role as Samantha Delongpre in the movie Two Moon Junction . This was followed by roles in the television series Paradise (1988), in the fourth season of A Terribly Nice Family (1989) and Parker Lewis - The Cool One from School (1990). A year later, she got a lead role in Return to the Blue Lagoon . In the press for this reason, she was dubbed the Slavic Brooke Shields , who starred in the original film The Blue Lagoon . Milla Jovovich was nominated for the film in 1992 for the Young Artist Award as well as for the negative film award Golden Raspberry .
In 1992 she starred alongside Christian Slater in the comedy Kuffs and landed a small role in the biopic Chaplin . The following year, she starred as Michelle Burroughs in the cult film Dazed and Confused, the friend of Pickford ( Shawn Andrews ), who also became her boyfriend in real life while filming.
The breakthrough (1997-2001)
In 1997 she married Luc Besson , the director of the science fiction film The Fifth Element , in which Jovovich made her breakthrough in the female lead alongside Bruce Willis and Gary Oldman . Jovovich had helped develop and learned an alien language for the role. She also wore a costume known as the "ACE-bandage" costume. The costume consisted of an open-hearted full body suit made of medical bandages and was designed by Jean Paul Gaultier . The film was the opening film at the Cannes Film Festival and played a total of 263 million US dollars a. Jovovich was nominated for the film for the Blockbuster Entertainment Award , the Saturn Award , the MTV Movie Award (for the best fight scene ) and the negative award the Golden Raspberry . In an interview in 2003, she revealed that the role of Leeloo was her favorite role.
In 1998 she had a role in Spike Lee's drama Game of Life , in which she played the battered prostitute Dakota Burns. 1999 Jovovich was in the music video If you can not say no from Lenny Kravitz to see. In the same year, she played the French national heroine and Saint Joan of Arc in the film of the same name, directed by Luc Besson . In 1999, the marriage with Besson was divorced again. Although she received good reviews overall for the film, she was also nominated for the Golden Raspberry for that role .
In 2000 she played the Eloise in Wim Wenders ' thriller The Million Dollar Hotel . The film is based on a script by Bono from the band U2 and Nicholas Klein. Jovovich also sang some songs from the soundtrack to the film. She then played the bar owner Lucia in the British western Empire and Glory (2000) and the diabolical Katinka in the comedy Zoolander (2001).
International success (from 2002)
In 2002, Jovovich starred in the film Resident Evil , based on the video game series of the same name . She played Alice and fought against zombies and the evil Umbrella Corporation . She accepted the role because she and her brother were fans of the video game franchise. Except for one scene where she had to jump on a cement platform, she did all of the stunts in the film herself. Before the film, she practiced karate, kickboxing, and other martial arts. The film was a huge commercial hit, with grossing $ 102 million. She also took on the leading role in the other parts of the film series .
The modeling and advertising work gave Jovovich the financial security he needed to gain some freedom in choosing a film. Critically acclaimed films such as No Good Deed and Dummy were mostly only shown at film festivals and released on DVD . The role of Fangora in Dummy gave Jovovich the opportunity to film with Oscar-winning Adrien Brody , who was a friend of hers even before the film.
In 2003, Jovovich appeared on the soundtrack for Underworld , entitled Rocket Collecting .
In 2004, Jovovich slipped back into the role of Alice in the sequel to Resident Evil called Resident Evil: Apocalypse . For the role she had to train three hours a day, and in the three months before the film she had shooting and combat training. The sequel received worse reviews than the first installment, but had greater commercial success. The following year she starred as Drusilla, sister of Caligula, in a remake of Gore Vidal's Caligula . In 2006 she was featured in the science fiction Ultraviolet . She played the lead role as Violet Song jat Shariff in this action film in which she had to deal with many fight scenes. In the same year she starred together with the English actor and DJ Matt Maurice in the movie Kaliber 45 as Kat, a revenge-driven friend of a gun and drug dealer.
Jovovich shot the third part of the Resident Evil series, Resident Evil: Extinction , in 2007. The film grossed $ 24 million on the opening weekend in the United States. Due to the bad reviews of the first two films, the third part was not shown to any film critics before the official release in theaters.
The feature film A Perfect Getaway was released in 2009 , in which Jovovich stood in front of the camera together with Kiele Sanchez , Timothy Olyphant , and Steve Zahn . She played the female part of a newly married couple on their honeymoon. She then played Lucetta, the wife of an incarcerated arsonist alongside Robert De Niro in Stone (2010) . Filming began in May 2009 and took place in the Southern Michigan Correctional Facility in Jackson, Michigan, which was closed in 2007 . In the science fiction thriller The Fourth Kind , she played Dr. Abigail Tyler. The film is in the style of a mockumentary . Filmmakers claim that the film is allegedly based on real events backed up by tape and film recordings made by psychologist Dr. What happened to Abigail Tyler and her patients in October 2000 in Nome , Alaska .
In November 2009, Jovovich released the music video The Mission with Puscifer , in which she sings. At the same time Puscifer released the EP C Is For (Please Insert Sophomoric Genitalia Reference Here) , on which the song is located.
In 2010, Jovovich returned as Alice in the fourth part of the Resident Evil saga. Resident Evil: Afterlife , produced by her husband Paul WS Anderson , was the first film in the series to be shot entirely in 3D . She also stars alongside Juno Temple , William H. Macy , Mary Steenburgen and Tim McGraw in Dirty Girl , which premiered on September 12, 2010 at the Toronto International Film Festival .
In 2011, Jovovich appeared as Milady de Winter in The Three Musketeers , which was also produced and directed by her husband. In addition to Konstantin Jurjewitsch Chabenski and Ivan Urgant , she plays another leading role in the Russian comedy comedy Vykrutasy , which premiered on February 17, 2011 in Russia.
In 2012, Resident Evil: Retribution was another part of the Resident Evil saga. Again her husband took over the direction. In the following year she did not appear as an actress, since 2014 she has appeared in at least one film every year.
In 2016 she played the leading role again in the last part of the Resident Evil series and completed the film series as the protagonist in all six parts.
Explanation of the data
- 1994: The Divine Comedy
- 1998: The People Tree Sessions
- 1994: Gentleman Who Fell
- 1994: Bang Your Head
- 1994: It's Your Life
In 2004, Jovovich and her model colleague Carmen Hawk founded the Jovovich-Hawk fashion label . They opened their own boutique in New York's Greenwich Village on September 13, 2005 . The fashion label existed for four years, with many of the label's dresses being created by the designer Gerardo Reyes. The studio was in Los Angeles , but pieces could also be purchased from Fred Segal in Los Angeles, Harvey Nichols , and over 50 stores around the world. The Vogue writes about this: Delicate fabrics and many ornaments give the makers of this fashion a fairy look .
In November 2006, the Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA) and US Vogue nominated the Jovovich-Hawk label for the CFDA / Vogue Fashion Fund Award. Jovovich-Hawk made it to the final, but the main prize was won by Doo-Ri Chung .
In 2007, Jovovich and Hawk designed the costume for Jovovich's character in Resident Evil: Extinction . The shorts that Alice , her film character, wears are a variant of the Alice Star shorts from the Spring 2007 collection. At the end of 2008, Jovovich and Hawk decided by mutual agreement to give up the company due to the time required. Jovovich stated, “I am an artist. I'm not someone who can handle shipping costs and taxes. "
- 1988: Two Moon Junction
- 1988: The Secret of the Invisible City (The Night Train to Kathmandu)
- 1989: A terribly nice family (guest appearance in the episode Bring on the little French women )
- 1990: Parker Lewis - The Cool One at School (pilot episode)
- 1991: Return to the Blue Lagoon (Return to the Blue Lagoon)
- 1992: Chaplin
- 1992: Kuffs - A Guy To Shoot (Kuffs)
- 1993: Confusion - summer Ausgeflippten (Dazed and Confused)
- 1997: The Fifth Element (The Fifth Element)
- 1998: Spike Lee's Game of Life (He Got Game)
- 1999: Johanna von Orleans (The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc)
- 2000: The Million Dollar Hotel
- 2000: The Empire and Glory (The Claim)
- 2001: Zoolander
- 2002: dummy
- 2002: Resident Evil
- 2002: No Good Deed (The House on Turk Street)
- 2002: You Stupid Man (Love Birds)
- 2004: Resident Evil: Apocalypse
- 2006: caliber 45 (.45)
- 2006: Ultraviolet
- 2007: Resident Evil: Extinction
- 2008: Palermo shoot
- 2009: A Perfect Getaway
- 2009: The Fourth Kind (The Fourth Kind)
- 2010: Resident Evil: Afterlife
- 2010: Stone , German TV title: Caught in a lie
- 2010: Dirty Girl
- 2011: The Three Musketeers (The Three Musketeers)
- 2011: Lucky Trouble - The coach wants to get married (Выкрутасы)
- 2011: Faces in the Crowd
- 2011: An Almost Perfect Crime (Bringing up Bobby)
- 2012: Resident Evil: Retribution
- 2014: Anarchy (Cymbeline)
- 2015: Survivor
- 2016: Zoolander 2
- 2016: Resident Evil: The Final Chapter
- 2017: Shock and Awe
- 2018: Future World
- 2019: Paradise Hills
- 2019: Hellboy - Call of Darkness (Hellboy)
- 2008: Best Science Fiction Actress in Resident Evil: Extinction
- 2010: Nomination for Best Horror Actress in The Fourth Art
- 2011: Best Science Fiction Actress in Resident Evil: Afterlife
- 1998: Nomination for Best Supporting Actress in The Fifth Element
- 2003: Nomination for Best Actress in Resident Evil
Blockbuster Entertainment Award
- 1998: Nomination as the most popular female newcomer in The Fifth Element
- 1992 : Nomination as Worst Newcomer in Return to the Blue Lagoon
- 1998 : Nomination for Worst Supporting Actress in The Fifth Element
- 2000 : Nomination as Worst Actress in Joan of Arc
- 2013 : Nomination for Worst Actress in Resident Evil: Retribution
Hollywood Spotlight Award
- 2010: Best Actress in Stone
- 1998: Nomination in the category Best Fight Scene for Leeloo vs. Aliens in The Fifth Element
- 2012: Nomination in the category Choice Movie Actress: Action in The Three Musketeers
- 1991: Nomination for Best Young Leading Actress in a Feature Film in Return to the Blue Lagoon
- Milla Jovovich in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Official website of Milla Jovovich (English)
- Photographs by Milla Jovovich by photographer Peter Lindbergh
- ↑ biography on their website
- ↑ "I am too beautiful". From the catwalk to the big screen: Milla Jovovich on her problems with Hollywood and the new action spectacle "Resident Evil" . Focus Online , March 18, 2002, accessed October 13, 2013 .
- ↑ Ilija Đukić: A onda Boris postane bred . In: Kurir , September 8, 2007, accessed October 13, 2012 (Serbian).
- ↑ Marko Lopusina : Holivud je srpsko selo . In: Svi Srbi sveta ( Serbian ). Princip, Belgrade 1998, ISBN 86-82273-07-1 . Archived from the original on September 12, 2006 Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. (Accessed September 7, 2006).
- ↑ J. Rentilly interview on their website
- ↑ 3news.co.nz: Wedding on August 22nd, 2009 ( page no longer available , search in web archives ) Info: The link was automatically marked as defective. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- ↑ Premiere: Milla Jovovich gives birth to daughter. In: Spiegel Online , November 5, 2007, accessed October 13, 2014
- ↑ For the second time mom. In: Gala . April 1, 2015, accessed April 2, 2015 .
- ↑ Milla Jovovich about the third daughter on Instagram. In: Milla Jovovich on Instagram. February 3, 2020, accessed February 3, 2020 .
- ^ California Style, May 2006 , accessed November 3, 2010
- ↑ a b Harpers & Queen, Milla's Tale January 2003 , accessed November 3, 2010
- ↑ a b Information on the modeling career on Milla Jovovich's official website , accessed on November 3, 2010
- ^ OneWorld, 1997 , accessed November 3, 2010
- ^ Profile of Milla Jovovich in the Fashion Model Directory , accessed on November 3, 2010
- ↑ a b Arena, July 2002 , accessed on November 3, 2010
- ↑ Milla Jovovich becomes 13th Campari star
- ↑ a b c Biography of Milla Jovovich at Yahoo.com , accessed November 6, 2010
- ↑ IMDB Award overview , accessed on November 6, 2010
- ↑ Box Office Mojo , accessed November 6, 2010
- ↑ a b Toronto Star, September 8, 2003 , accessed November 3, 2010
- ↑ DVD commentary Resident Evil (2002)
- ^ InStyle (UK), July 2002 , accessed November 6, 2010
- ↑ Alice get your Guns, Film Preview (UK) , September 2004, accessed November 7, 2010
- ^ InStyle (UK) Box Office Mojo - Resident Evil 3 , accessed November 7, 2010
- ↑ a b Background information according to the Internet Movie Database
- ^ De Niro, Norton film at Jackson prison . ( Memento of the original from September 6, 2014 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. In: Associated Press on May 20, 2009; accessed November 7, 2010
- ↑ Visions .de: Puscifer - "The Mission" video
- ↑ Chart sources: UK
- ↑ Milla Jovovich makes fashion from August 2, 2007 ( Memento of the original from February 1, 2009 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , accessed November 7, 2010
- ↑ Vogue fashion choices of July 26th, 2006 ( Memento of the original of October 11th, 2007 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , accessed November 7, 2010
- ↑ http://millaj.com/pics/townandcountry08093.jpg
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Jovovich, Militza (full name); Jovovich, Milica (English); Йовович, Милла (Russian); Јововић, Милица (Serbian); Jovović, Milica (Serbian); Йовович, Мілла (Ukrainian); Jowowitsch, Milica|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American actress, model and musician|
|DATE OF BIRTH||17th December 1975|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Kiev , Ukrainian SSR , Soviet Union|