Gary Leonard Oldman (born March 21, 1958 in Lewisham , London ) is a British actor , director and film producer . In the 1990s, Oldman was best known for films in which he played the villain . In the new millennium he succeeded in various roles and was nominated for the first time for the Oscar in 2012 for the leading role in Dame, König, Ace, Spion . For his critically acclaimed portrayal of Winston Churchill in The Darkest Hour (2017), he won the Oscar , Golden Globe Award , Screen Actors Guild Award, and Critics' Choice Movie Award .
Youth and education
Oldman was born to the housewife Kathleen (née Cheriton; 1919-2018) and the welder and former seaman Leonard Bertram Oldman (1921-1985) in the New Cross district of the London Borough of Lewisham . His alcoholic father left the family when Oldman was seven years old. Oldman's older sister Maureen (* 1945) also works as an actress under the pseudonym Laila Morse .
He first attended West Greenwich School in Deptford , but left school when he was sixteen and temporarily took a job in a sports shop. In his youth he taught himself to play the piano by himself and was later occasionally active as a singer . However, after seeing a performance by actor Malcolm McDowell in the movie The Raging Moon in 1971 , he decided to put his musical skills on hold in order to devote himself to acting in the future.
In the mid-1970s, Oldman studied at the Young People's Theater in Greenwich and also kept himself afloat with various part-time jobs. Among other things, he worked as a shoe seller and on a slaughterhouse . He had previously unsuccessfully applied to the renowned Royal Academy of Dramatic Art . After completing his bachelor's degree, he began his career as a stage actor in 1979 at the Royal Court Theater in London . In 1985 he received the Fringe Award for Best Newcomer and the Drama Magazine Award for Best Actor for The Pope's Wedding .
In the early 1980s, Oldman made his first experiences in front of the camera on television, including in Mike Leigh's Channel 4 production Meantime . In 1986 he made his movie debut with Sid and Nancy , a film about the sex pistols bassist Sid Vicious . Critics praised his authentic interpretation of the role. In 1988, he starred opposite Alan Bates in the film adaptations We Think the World of You before in the film drama in 1989 Chattahoochee alongside Dennis Hopper was able to play the leading role. In the same year he played the leader of a hooligan clique in the television film The Firm . In 1990 he starred in the comedy film Rosenkranz & Güldenstern alongside Tim Roth and Richard Dreyfuss .
Also in 1990 he starred in the action thriller State of Grace alongside Sean Penn . The film was his final breakthrough in the US film landscape. In the early 1990s, Oldman moved to the US to advance his career. He had his next major success in 1991 in Oliver Stone's political thriller JFK - Tatort Dallas , in which he played John F. Kennedy's alleged murderer Lee Harvey Oswald . Since then, Oldman has stuck to the image of the villain, which he developed over the next few years in Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992), Léon - The Professional (1994), The Fifth Element (1997), Air Force One (1997), Lost in Space (1998) and Hannibal (2000) embodied.
In the early 2000s, Oldman's acting career experienced a brief slump. Because of controversy over political representations in the final version of the film project Character Assassination - Beyond Morality , the actor was blacklisted for several years in Hollywood . In the next few years Oldman worked in less successful films such as Interstate 60 (2002) and Tiptoes (2003), before he celebrated his comeback as an important actor in 2004 with the role of Sirius Black in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban . He continued this role in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007) after briefly appearing in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005). Oldman had another brief appearance in the role of Sirius Black in 2011 in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 .
He was able to celebrate another great success with the role of Commissioner Gordon , whom he impersonated for the first time in Christopher Nolan's comic adaptation Batman Begins in 2005 . He also played the role of the policeman in the two successful sequels The Dark Knight (2008) and The Dark Knight Rises (2012). In 2009 he played the role of a rabbi in David S. Goyer's horror film The Unborn . In the next few years various leading and supporting roles in commercially less successful film projects such as The Book of Eli (2010), Red Riding Hood - Unter dem Wolfsmond , Dame, König, As, Spion (both 2011) and Paranoia - Riskantes Spiel ( 2013). For his role in Lady, King, As, Spy , he received an Oscar nomination for Best Actor .
In the 2013 music video for the single The Next Day from David Bowie 's album of the same name , the actor played a vicious priest who visits a clergy nightclub. In 2014 he had another success with a role in the commercially successful and critically acclaimed science fiction film Planet of the Apes: Revolution . Since 2015, Oldman has worked as a performance capture actor and voice actor for the character of Admiral Bishop in the single player campaign of the computer game Star Citizen directed by Chris Roberts .
Work as a director, screenwriter and producer
Together with Douglas Urbanski , Oldman founded the film production company SE8 Group in 1996 . Their first joint production was Oldman's directorial debut Nil by Mouth (1997), which is based in part on experiences from Oldman's youth. The relatively positively received film won two BAFTA awards in the categories of Best British Film and Best Screenplay, as well as an Empire Award . Since then, Oldman and Urbanski have collaborated on numerous other projects.
Furthermore, Oldman acted as a producer for the films Plunkett & Macleane - Against Death and the Devil (1999) and character assassination - Beyond the Morals (2000). He also starred in the latter film.
He was married to actress Lesley Manville in the late 1980s and has a son with her. From 1990 to 1992 he was married to Uma Thurman . During the filming of Ludwig van B. - My immortal beloved (in which he played the role of the composer Ludwig van Beethoven ) he developed his relationship with the co-star Isabella Rossellini , to whom he became engaged in July 1994, from whom he fell but separated again two years later. From 1997 to 2001 he was married to the American photographer Donya Fiorentino, with whom he has two sons. From 2002 to 2005 he lived with the actress Ailsa Marshall . On December 31, 2008, Oldman married singer Alexandra Edenborough in Santa Barbara , California , after a year of separation, Edenborough filed for divorce in early 2015.
Oldman was temporarily in rehab because of alcohol problems. In 1991, for example, after spending an evening together in Los Angeles with his fellow actor Kiefer Sutherland, he was caught drunk behind the wheel.
- 1983: Meantime
- 1986: Sid and Nancy (Sid and Nancy)
- 1987: Track 29 - A Dangerous Game (Track 29)
- 1987: The Stormy Life of Joe Orton (Prick Up Your Ears)
- 1988: The Firm
- 1988: The Woman Killer (Criminal Law)
- 1989: Chattahoochee
- 1990: Rosenkranz & Güldenstern (Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead)
- 1990: State of Grace (State of Grace)
- 1991: JFK - crime scene Dallas (JFK)
- 1992: Bram Stoker's Dracula
- 1993: True Romance
- 1993: Romeo Is Bleeding
- 1994: Léon - The Professional (Léon)
- 1994: Ludwig van B. - My immortal beloved (Immortal Beloved)
- 1995: Murder in the First
- 1995: The Scarlet Letter (The Scarlet Letter)
- 1996: Basquiat
- 1997: Nil by Mouth (director, producer and screenplay)
- 1997: The Fifth Element (The Fifth Element)
- 1997: Air Force One
- 1998: Lost in Space
- 1998: The Magic Sword - The Legend of Camelot ( Quest for Camelot , voice)
- 1999: The Bible - Jesus ( Jesus , TV movie)
- 2000: Character Assassination - Beyond Morality (The Contender)
- 2001: Hannibal
- 2001: Nobody's Baby
- 2001: Friends (season 7 episodes 23 and 24)
- 2002: Interstate 60
- 2002: The Hire : Beat the Devil
- 2003: Tiptoes
- 2003: Sin - Death has no conscience (Sin)
- 2004: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- 2005: Dead Fish
- 2005: Batman Begins
- 2005: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- 2006: Backwoods - The Hunt Begins (Bosque de sombras)
- 2007: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
- 2008: The Dark Knight
- 2009: The Unborn
- 2009: Disney's A Christmas Carol
- 2010: The Book of Eli
- 2011: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
- 2011: Red Riding Hood - Under the Wolf Moon (Red Riding Hood)
- 2011: Queen, King, As, Spy (Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy)
- 2011: Kung Fu Panda 2 (voice of Shen )
- 2012: Guns and Girls
- 2012: Lawless - The outlaws (Lawless)
- 2012: The Dark Knight Rises
- 2013: Paranoia - Risky Game (Paranoia)
- 2014: RoboCop
- 2014: Planet of the Apes: Revolution (Dawn of the Planet of the Apes)
- 2015: Kind 44 (Child 44)
- 2015: Man Down
- 2016: The Jerico Project (Criminal)
- 2017: So Close to the Stars (The Space Between Us)
- 2017: Killer's Bodyguard (The Hitman's Bodyguard)
- 2017: The Darkest Hour
- 2018: TAU (voice)
- 2018: Hunter Killer
- 2019: Killers Anonymous - Trust No One (Killers Anonymous)
- 2019: The Money Laundering (The Laundromat)
- 2019: The Ship (Mary)
- 1997: Nil by Mouth (director, producer and screenplay)
- 1999: Plunkett & Macleane - Against Death and the Devil (Plunkett & Macleane)
- 2000: Character Assassination - Beyond Morality (The Contender)
- 2001: Nobody's Baby
Speaking roles in computer and video games
- 2002: Medal of Honor: Allied Assault Spearhead (as Sergeant Jack Barnes)
- 2006: The Legend of Spyro: The New Beginning ( The Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning )
- 2007: The Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night ( The Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night )
- 2008: The Legend of Spyro: The rise of the dragon ( The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon )
- 2008: Call of Duty: World at War
- 2010: Call of Duty: Black Ops
- 1987: Evening Standard British Film Awards in the Most Promising Newcomer category for Sid and Nancy
- 1988: London Critics Circle Film Awards for Best Actor for The Stormy Life of Joe Orton
- 1993: Saturn Award for Best Actor for the role in Bram Stoker's Dracula
- 1997: Edinburgh Festival in the Channel 4 Director's Award category for Nil by Mouth
- 1998: BAFTA Award : Alexander Korda Award (Best British Film) for directing Nil By Mouth
- 1998: BAFTA Award for Best Original Screenplay for Nil by Mouth
- 1998: Empire Awards for Best New Discovery for Nil by Mouth
- 2001: Broadcast Film Critics Association in the category Alan J. Pakula Award for character assassination - The Contender
- 2002: USA Film Festival in the Master Screen Artist Tribute category
- 2009: People's Choice Award in the Favorite Acting Ensemble category for The Dark Knight (with the rest of the cast)
- 2011: Gotham Awards in the Tribute Award category
- 2011: Empire Awards in the Empire Icon Award category
- 2011: San Francisco Film Critics Circle for Best Actor for Lady, King, Ace, Spy
- 2012: Central Ohio Film Critics Association in the category Best Acting Ensemble for Lady, King, Ace, Spy (with the rest of the cast)
- 2013: Dilys Powell Award
- 2017: Chicago Film Critics Association Award for Best Actor for The Darkest Hour
- 2018: Golden Globe Award for Best Actor - Drama for The Darkest Hour
- 2018: Screen Actors Guild Award for Best Actor for The Darkest Hour
- 2018: Critics' Choice Movie Award for Best Actor for The Darkest Hour
- 2018: AACTA International Award for Best Actor for The Darkest Hour
- 2018: BAFTA Award in the Best Actor category for The Darkest Hour
- 2018: Oscar in the category Best Actor for The Darkest Hour
- 1988: BAFTA Awards for Best Actor for The Stormy Life of Joe Orton
- 1992: Independent Spirit Awards in the category Best Actor for Rosenkranz & Güldenstern
- 1993: MTV Movie Awards in the Best Kiss category for Bram Stoker's Dracula (with Winona Ryder )
- 1996: Golden Raspberry in the worst screen pair category for The Scarlet Letter (with Demi Moore and Robert Duvall )
- 1997: International Cannes Film Festival in the Palme d'Or for Nil by Mouth
- 1998: British Independent Film Awards for Best Screenplay for Nil by Mouth
- 1998: British Independent Film Awards for Best Director for Nil by Mouth
- 1998: MTV Movie Awards for Best Villain for Air Force One
- 1998: MTV Movie Awards for Best Fight for Air Force One (with Harrison Ford )
- 1998: Blockbuster Entertainment Awards for Favorite Supporting Actor - Action / Adventure for Air Force One
- 1999: Saturn Award in the Best Supporting Actor category for Lost in Space
- 2001: Screen Actors Guild Awards for Best Supporting Actor in Character Assassination - Beyond Morality
- 2001: Independent Spirit Awards for Best Supporting Actor in Character Assassination - Beyond Morality
- 2001: Emmy for Best Guest Actor in a Comedy Series for Friends
- 2003: DVD Exclusive Awards for Best Supporting Actor in a DVD Movie for Interstate 60
- 2005: Saturn Award for Best Supporting Actor for Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- 2009: Broadcast Film Critics Association in the Best Acting Ensemble category for The Dark Knight (with the rest of the cast)
- 2011: Phoenix Film Critics Society Awards for Best Actor for Lady, King, Ace, Spy
- 2011: Satellite Awards for Best Actor for Queen, King, Ace, Spy
- 2011: British Independent Awards for Best Actor for Lady, King, Ace, Spy
- 2011: Chicago Film Critics Association for Best Actor for Lady, King, Ace, Spy
- 2011: Online Film Critics Society Awards for Best Actor for Lady, King, Ace, Spy
- 2012: National Society of Film Critics (2nd place) in the Best Actor category for Lady, King, Ace, Spy
- 2012: London Critics Circle Film Awards for Actor of the Year for Lady, King, Ace, Spy
- 2012: London Critics Circle Film Awards for British Actor of the Year for Lady, King, Ace, Spy
- 2012: Evening Standard British Film Awards for Best Actor for Lady, King, Ace, Spy
- 2012: Irish Film and Television Awards for Best International Actor for Lady, King, Ace, Spy
- 2012: Oscar in the Best Actor category for Lady, King, Ace, Spy
- 2012: BAFTA Award for Best Actor for Lady, King, Ace, Spy
- 2012: European Film Award in the Best Actor category for Lady, King, Ace, Spy
- 2018: Satellite Award in the Best Leading Actor category for The Darkest Hour (pending)
His standard speaker is Udo Schenk . Thomas Petruo dubbed him in Léon - Der Profi , Romeo Is Bleeding , JFK - Tatort Dallas , Sid and Nancy , True Romance and Im Vorhof der Hölle and Lutz Mackensy in Hannibal (2001) . In the Harry Potter film series , Pierre Peters-Arnolds was his German voice.
- Literature by and about Gary Oldman in the catalog of the German National Library
- Gary Oldman in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Nina Rehfeld: Oscar nominee Gary Oldman: “Bad Motherfucker? I thought it was cool! ” In: Spiegel Online , February 4, 2012. Accessed November 26, 2013.
- Gabriela Herpell: » My favorite thing is: Gary is not there«. In: Süddeutsche Zeitung Magazin . Issue 36/2014. Retrieved October 7, 2014.
- Gary Oldman Biography (1958–) . Filmreference.com. Retrieved September 3, 2016.
- Gary Oldman: The spy who came in, and brought the cold with him. In: The Independent . September 17, 2011, accessed September 3, 2016.
- Halle's Gary Oldman Biography and Odds & Ends . Csh.rit.edu. Retrieved September 3, 2016.
- Douglas Management Group . Douglas Management Group. Retrieved January 15, 2018.
- Gary Oldman marries fourth wife Alexandra Edenborough. In: The Daily Telegraph . January 5, 2009, accessed March 1, 2009. (English)
- Nardine Saad: Gary Oldman's fourth wife files for divorce after yearlong separation. In: Los Angeles Times . January 12, 2015.
- Emily Smith: Gary Oldman gets hitched for the fifth time. In: Page Six. September 23, 2017. Retrieved January 25, 2018 .
- Actor Gary Oldman Facing Charge Of Drunk Driving. In: Orlando Sentinel. August 7, 1991, accessed September 3, 2016 .
- Gary Oldman in the Internet Movie Database .
- Gary Oldman to accept the Dilys Powell Award For Excellence In Film ( Memento of September 18, 2016 in the Internet Archive ). In: The Critics' Circle . December 17, 2013, accessed October 7, 2014.
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Oldman, Gary Leonard (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||British actor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 21, 1958|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Lewisham , London , England, United Kingdom|