|publishing company||Bauer Media Group ( Germany )|
|Frequency of publication||per month|
|Sold edition||171,008 copies|
|( IVW 2/2020)|
|Widespread edition||171,257 copies|
|( IVW 2/2020)|
|Range||1.17 million readers|
|( MA 2020 I )|
The Cosmopolitan (of cosmopolitan , citizen of the world) is a lifestyle - magazine owned by the Hearst Corporation . It appears in the USA , Great Britain , Finland , Spain , Russia and in German-speaking countries , among others .
The German edition is published monthly by the Bauer Media Group . Lara Gonschorowski has been the editor-in-chief since January 2019 . The sold circulation is 171,008 copies, a decrease of 51.4 percent since 1998.
Cosmopolitan was founded in 1886 by Schlicht & Field as a family magazine. 1905 bought William Randolph Hearst , the magazine holds up to 400,000 dollars . In the following years, investigative journalism was given a lot of space, and during the following decades up to the 1950s the magazine contained many literary texts such as short stories, series novels and short novels. During the Second World War, the circulation reached its peak with two million copies. In the early 1970s, with Helen Gurley Brown , editor-in-chief until her death in August 2012 , Cosmopolitan transformed into a women's magazine with the barely clad cover model, which is also characteristic to this day. Now people consciously turned their attention to young women, spoke openly and impartially about sexual issues. Cosmopolitan has been on the market in Germany since 1981, where it was initially published by the Marquard Media Group and then sold to the Bauer Media Group in 2012 .
The editor-in-chief of the German edition was Petra Winter for six years , who was succeeded by her former deputy Carolin Schuhler in August 2011 . She was replaced by Kerstin Weng in February 2013 . When Weng switched to Stylight, Anja Delastik succeeded him in February 2015. When Delastik left Bauer-Verlag at her own request, her deputy Lara Gonschorowski moved up to become editor-in-chief on January 1, 2019 .
Content and target group
The basic structure of Cosmopolitan are fashion, beauty, partnership and eroticism as well as work and career. It is aimed at working women between the ages of 18 and 49 who are interested in fashion and beauty, who are successful at work and who have an above-average income.
Cosmopolitan.de is the online offer of the women's magazine Cosmopolitan of the MVG Premium Group from Bauer Media. Like its sister portals Joy.de and Shape.de, it has been operated by Bauer Digital KG in Munich since February 2013. The thematic focus of Cosmopolitan.de are fashion, beauty care, love and relationships, as well as jobs and careers. An independent online editorial team produces new content every day for the Cosmopolitan website and social media channels.
Prix de Beauté
The German Cosmopolitan has been awarding the Prix de Beauté since 1992 . Each year, this awards prizes for outstanding new products from the international cosmetics industry with the help of a jury of dermatologists, specialist journalists, experts from the trade and jurors from the cosmetics industry. The Prix de Beauté is awarded in 15 categories.
The Cosmopolitan has lost a lot of circulation in recent years . The number of copies sold has fallen by 51.4 percent since 1998. It is currently 171,008 copies. This corresponds to a decrease of 180,600 units. The share of subscriptions in the circulation sold is 17.1 percent.
Development of the number of copies sold
- Claudia Knaute: The “Cosmo Girl”. Female or career woman; a content analysis of the image of women in the Cosmopolitan (Communication Studies, Volume 15). Fischer, Munich 1993, ISBN 3-88927-176-6 .
- Lara Gonschorowski becomes the new editor-in-chief at Cosmopolitan . In: meedia.de , December 12, 2018.
- according to IVW ( details on ivw.eu )
- Bauer takes over the German Marquard publishing group spiegel.de, May 11, 2012
- Christian Lohmüller: After six years as "Cosmopolitan" editor-in-chief: Petra Winter makes room for Carolin Schuhler . In: kress.de , August 12, 2011; accessed on March 30, 2017.
- David Hein: Kerstin Weng is the new editor-in-chief of "Cosmopolitan" . In: horizont.net , January 10, 2013, accessed on March 29, 2017.
- Melanie Melzer: Bauer announces Weng's successor: “Jolie” boss Anja Delastik becomes “Cosmo” boss . kress .de, November 21, 2014; accessed on March 1, 2017.
- David Hein: Lara Gonschorowski becomes the new editor-in-chief. In: Horizont.net. December 12, 2018, accessed April 12, 2019 .
- Websites of the Prix de Beauté ( Memento of the original from June 12, 2015 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , accessed May 19, 2015.
- according to IVW , ( details on ivw.eu )
- according to IVW , second quarter 2020 ( details and quarterly comparison on ivw.eu )
- according to IVW , fourth quarter in each case ( details on ivw.eu )