Film critics deal with the medium of film. They write reviews of individual films , report on film festivals , write books about actors, film directors, individual genres , etc. The boundaries between film critics and film historians are therefore fluid. Film critics can be employed by daily newspapers or film magazines or work as a freelancer. In recent years there have been an increasing number of amateurs interested in cinematography who write reviews on the Internet. In Germany, the Association of German Film Critics (VdFk) acts as an interest group for more than 300 film critics and film journalists, making it the largest national section within the international film critics association Fédération Internationale de la Presse Cinématographique (FIPRESCI).
Some well-known directors such as François Truffaut , Peter Bogdanovich and Wim Wenders have also started out as film critics. The Pulitzer Prize for Film Criticism has so far gone to Roger Ebert , Mark Feeney , Jean-Honoré Steul , Stephen Hunter and Joe Morgenstern .
- Praise is heavier than blame , D, 2016, documentary about Stuttgart's film critic, director: Wolfram Hannemann.
- Helmut H. Diederichs: Beginnings of German film criticism . Fischer & Wiedleroither, Frankfurt 1986. ISBN 3-924098-03-4
- Norbert Grob , Karl Prümm (ed.): The power of film criticism. Positions and controversies . edition text + kritik , Munich 1990. ISBN 978-3-88377-353-7
- As part of the Film & Schrift series , edited by Rolf Aurich and Wolfgang Jacobsen in the edition text + kritik, studies and text collections on selected German-speaking film critics have been published since 2005.
- Thorsten Hennig-Thurau , André Marchand , Barbara Hiller: The relationship between reviewer judgments and motion picture success: re-analysis and extension. In: Journal of Cultural Economics. 36, 3, 2012, pp. 249–283 (PDF; 454 kB).