The film romance Pretty Woman (1990) made her world famous, for which she received the Golden Globe and an Oscar nomination. She established herself as one of the most successful actresses in Hollywood with films such as The Nudes (1993), My Best Friend's Wedding (1997), Notting Hill (1999) and The Bride Who Doesn't Dare (1999) . For her role in Erin Brockovich (2000) she won the Golden Globe and the Oscar for best actress. She had other blockbuster hits with Ocean's Eleven (2001), the sequel Ocean's 12 (2004) and Mona Lisa's smile (2003).
Childhood and youth
Roberts was born in Atlanta in 1967 . Her parents, Walter Grady Roberts (1933–1977) and Betty Lou Bredemus (1934–2015), ran a drama school for children in downtown Atlanta, which was also run by Julia's two older siblings Eric Roberts (* 1956) and Lisa Roberts Gillan ( * 1965) was visited. Contrary to the customs of the time, there was no racial segregation in the school ; Among the students were the children of the Afro-American civil rights activist Martin Luther King .
The parents separated when Julia Roberts was four years old. While her brother stayed with the father, the mother moved with the daughters to Smyrna , where Julia Roberts attended high school. In 1972 Roberts' mother married the theater critic Michael Motes. From this marriage, which divorced in 1983, Roberts' half-sister Nancy Motes (1976-2014) was born.
While at school, Roberts starred in amateur theater performances as they were impressed by the acting achievements of her brother, who studied acting at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art in London and the American Academy of Dramatic Arts in New York City and for his role in King of the Gypsies (1978) had been nominated for a Golden Globe Award .
After her high school graduation in June 1985, Roberts moved to her sister Lisa to New York, where she occasionally as a model worked and took a job in a shoe store and an ice cream shop. However, her real goal was to become an actress. She was added to Bob McGowan's agency's file and took language classes to shed her southern accent. She broke off attending an acting class because she found the lessons useless.
After numerous auditions, she received a guest role in the television series Crime Story in 1986 and was hired for a small role in the comedy Firehouse . The film was often referred to as "fourth rate" by critics, and Roberts' appearance lasted only about fifteen seconds. With the support of her brother Eric, who was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor in the film Express to Hell in 1986, she was given a role at his side in the film Blood Red . Filming took place in November and December 1986, but the film did not hit theaters until 1989 and was unsuccessful.
Roberts played her first major role in Satisfaction (1988). For the roles of the youthful members of a band, actors who could play musical instruments were sought . Roberts then began to take drum lessons, but the corresponding role has been filled with Trini Alvarado in the meantime . Instead, Roberts got the role of a girl playing bass guitar , so she had to take lessons again. Filming took place in Charleston in May and June 1987 .
With the comedy Pizza Pizza - A Piece of Heaven , shot in the fall of 1987, Roberts had her first box office success. At first she did not think she was the right cast for the erotic Daisy Arujo, a young woman of Portuguese descent. In addition, the found a production assistant Jane Jenkins Roberts' hair too bright, so she turned red. In particular, this initiative convinced the director Donald Petrie to hire them. Her fee was $ 50,000. For her role, Roberts was nominated for the Independent Spirit Award and Young Artist Award .
In 1988 Roberts had a guest appearance on the television series Miami Vice . In 1989, she starred alongside her well-known actresses Sally Field , Dolly Parton , Shirley McLaine and Daryl Hannah in the drama Magnolias Made of Steel , which was filmed in the small town of Natchitoches, Louisiana . The film premiered on November 15, 1989, and Roberts received a Golden Globe and an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actress for her role, which had previously been rejected by Meg Ryan .
Roberts and her film partner Dylan McDermott had become a couple while filming steel magnolias . After a brief engagement period, the couple separated in 1990.
Success with Pretty Woman
Roberts' next film project made her an international superstar : Under the direction of Garry Marshall , she played the prostitute Vivian, who falls in love with a rich businessman (played by Richard Gere ) in the film romance Pretty Woman . Filming began in July 1989 under the working title 3,000 - based on the amount of money Vivian was to receive for her love services - and was completed in October 1989 in Los Angeles. A happy ending was not initially planned, but during the cut of 3,000 almost all dark scenes were omitted, so that the plot finally took a positive turn. Marshall eventually decided to rename the film after the Roy Orbison song of the same name , which can be heard in a scene in the film. The US premiere took place on March 23, 1990. Although the reviews were not particularly good, the modern Cinderella story developed into a successful box-office hit: the film grossed 463.4 million US dollars worldwide and had more than ten million admissions in Germany alone . Roberts, who received a salary of $ 300,000 for the role, became Hollywood's most sought-after actress at the time , earning her second Golden Globe and second Oscar nomination for Best Actress for the role .
Next, they played for a salary of 550,000 US dollars in the thriller Flatliners - Today is a beautiful day to die (1990) alongside Kiefer Sutherland , Kevin Bacon and William Baldwin , a medical student, with near-death experiences experimented. To prepare for the role, she studied the Tibetan Book of the Dead . During filming, which lasted from October 1989 to January 1990, Roberts and Sutherland became a couple. Roberts ended the relationship shortly before the planned wedding in June 1991. In the psychological thriller The Enemy in My Bed from 1991, Roberts played a young woman who stages her own death in order to escape her sadistic husband, played by Patrick Bergin . The feature film grossed $ 101.5 million in the United States alone and Roberts received $ 1 million in earnings. In the same year Roberts was seen in the tragic love story Decision out of love . With box office revenues of $ 33.6 million, the film fell well short of 20th Century Fox's expectations and the reviews were mostly negative.
After filming Steven Spielberg's 1991 fantasy film Hook , in which she played the role of the fairy bell, Roberts took almost two years of professional hiatus after making one film after the other in the previous years. Only in Robert Altman's The Player she had a brief cameo in 1992 . There was much media speculation about the reasons for their departure from the film industry, and in early 1993 People Magazine asked on its front page, "What happened to Julia Roberts?" (to German: "What happened to Julia Roberts?"). Roberts later justified her break with the fact that she wanted to find herself, since the sudden fame and success were completely new to her. During this time she read a lot of scripts, but didn't take on a project. The roles she rejected at the time included the female lead in the erotic thriller Basic Instinct , which made Sharon Stone world famous in 1992, and Meg Ryan's role in Sleepless in Seattle (1993).
Career from 1993 to 1999
At the side of Denzel Washington and directed by Alan J. Pakula , Roberts made a successful comeback in 1993 with the John Grisham film The Acts . Although the critics recorded their acting performance in the thriller mixed, the film grossed nearly 200 million US dollars worldwide. The following film, the comedy I Love Trouble (1994) with Nick Nolte , on the other hand, turned out to be a financial flop and was criticized several times for the lack of chemistry between its two main actors. In Prêt-à-Porter , a 1994 comedy about the Parisian fashion world, Roberts starred alongside her then-husband Lyle Lovett , whom she met on the set of The Player and married on June 27, 1993. The marriage was divorced in 1995 after almost two years.
Power of Love was the only film Roberts made in 1995. The following year she had a guest appearance in the 13th episode of the second season of the US sitcom Friends and receiveda nomination for the negative award Golden Raspberry for worst leading actressfor her title role in the unsuccessful horror film Mary Reilly . The film adaptation of the life of Michael Collins (1996) with Liam Neeson , in which Roberts played a supporting role, was also not a financial success. The Woody Allen film Everyone Say: I Love You , in which Roberts also demonstrated her skills as a singer, received good reviews.
In 1997, Roberts landed a worldwide hit with the romantic comedy My Best Friend 's Wedding . The romantic comedy, in which Roberts' film character tries by all means to prevent a marriage, grossed almost 300 million US dollars and earned her the third Golden Globe nomination. The following films, the thriller Fletcher's Visions (1997) with Mel Gibson and the drama Side by Side (1998) with Roberts' longtime friend Susan Sarandon , were also successful in the cinema.
For Notting Hill (1999) with Hugh Grant , Roberts was able to ask for the record fee of 15 million US dollars, for The Bride Who Doesn't Dare (1999) with her Pretty Woman film partner Richard Gere even 17 million. Both films - romantic comedies - are among the most commercially successful films in Roberts' career , with grossing US $ 363.8 million ( Notting Hill ) and US $ 309.4 million ( The Bride Who Does n't Dared ). She received her fourth Golden Globe nomination for Notting Hill .
Oscar winning and the 2000s
In 2000, Roberts got $ 20 million for the lead role in the film Erin Brockovich , making him the first actress to negotiate this amount for a film role. The true story of Erin Brockovich , who uncovered an environmental scandal while working for a law firm and was able to negotiate a record amount of compensation in the subsequent legal proceedings, became the high point of her career for Roberts: She received numerous critical awards for her portrayal, including her third Golden Globe, the British Academy Film Award , the Critics' Choice Award , the Screen Actors Guild Award and, in the third attempt, the Oscar.
In 2001 Roberts successfully starred alongside Brad Pitt in the road movie The Mexican , followed by the comedy America's Sweethearts with Catherine Zeta-Jones . Ocean's Eleven (2001), a 1960 remake of Frankie and his cronies , brought Roberts back in front of the camera with Brad Pitt. The star-studded film ( George Clooney , Matt Damon , Andy García ) became Roberts' financially most successful film after Pretty Woman with grossing US $ 450.7 million . With George Clooney she also directed her next film Confessions of a Dangerous Mind (2002).
In 2003 Roberts shot Mona Lisa's smile , in 2004 Skin Close and her first sequel , Ocean's 12 , again with Brad Pitt and George Clooney and again extremely successful (362.7 million worldwide box office earnings). In Ocean's Twelve , Roberts played the role of Tess Ocean again , who took advantage of her resemblance to the actress Julia Roberts to carry out a robbery in a museum.
After the birth of their twins in 2004, Roberts took another break from acting, and since the birth of their third child in 2007, Roberts has only sporadically accepted film roles: In Charlie Wilson's War (2007), she played alongside Tom Hanks and received for it her sixth Golden Globe nomination. She appeared in Back in the Summer (2008) and in Duplicity (2009), for which she received her seventh Golden Globe nomination.
In 2010 she played in the comedy Valentine's Day alongside Jessica Alba , Kathy Bates , Bradley Cooper , Jamie Foxx , Jessica Biel , Jennifer Garner and Anne Hathaway . In 2009, she finished filming the drama comedy Eat Pray Love , in which she plays the role of Elizabeth Gilbert . The script is based on an actual incident that Elizabeth Gilbert wrote in her bestseller of the same name. It was released in theaters on August 23, 2010. The worldwide box office income was 204.5 million US dollars .
In 2012 she shot the movie Mirror Mirror , a new version of the fairy tale classic Snow White , in which she played the part of the Evil Queen, alongside Lily Collins . She also took on the role of Barbara Fordham in the theater adaptation August: Osage County .
In 2018 she played the leading role in the ten-part series Homecoming , which celebrated its international premiere on November 2, 2018 on Amazon's streaming service Prime Video . In Germany initially only the English version was shown, the German dubbed version was announced for 2019.
Roberts' own production company is called Red Om - the last name of her husband Danny Moder in reverse spelling.
In 1990, 1991, 2000, 2002, 2005 and 2010 Roberts was voted one of the 50 most beautiful people in the world by the US magazine People .
British magazine Empire voted her 66th of the 100 greatest movie stars of all time in October 1997 .
When Brad Pitt and George Clooney found out that Roberts was going to be on camera with them on Ocean's Eleven (2001), they sent her a card that said, "We Heard You Get 20 For Each Movie" along with one of them 20 dollar bill. Roberts had previously received a fee of $ 20 million for Erin Brockovich (2000).
In November 2005, regardless of her career break, Roberts led the ranks of the highest-paid Hollywood actresses with a fee of $ 20 million , according to the Hollywood Reporter . A year later, however, she lost this top position to Nicole Kidman . In 2007 she was named the 7th highest paid Hollywood actress with an estimated fee of 10 to 15 million US dollars per film.
In 2006, Roberts received $ 5 million for standing in front of the camera for eight advertisements by fashion designer Gianfranco Ferré . The recordings were made within a day.
The Chilean Miljenko Parserisas Bukovic is a big fan of Julia Roberts. After seeing Erin Brockovich , he was so enthusiastic about her performance that he got a total of 82 tattoos with her portrait. He intends to have more tattoos done.
Roberts is the aunt of actress Emma Roberts . Her siblings Eric Roberts and Lisa Roberts Gillan are also successful actors. In 2014, her half-sister, Nancy Motes, was found dead. In 2015 her mother Betty Lou Bredemus died of lung cancer after a long illness .
In 1989, Roberts was briefly engaged to her film partner in Steel Magnolias, Dylan McDermott . In 1990 she fell in love on the set of Flatliners in Kiefer Sutherland ; Roberts ended the relationship the following year, just days before the planned wedding. In June 1993 she married country musician Lyle Lovett , and shortly thereafter both starred in the film Prêt-à-Porter . In March 1995, the couple announced the separation and divorced. From 1998 to 2001, Roberts was in a relationship with Law & Order star Benjamin Bratt .
In 2000 she met cameraman Daniel Moder on the set of The Mexican . He and Roberts were married in July 2002. In 2004 they became parents of dizygoti twins ; In 2007 their second son was born.
- 1987: Crime Story (TV series, one episode)
- 1987: Firehouse
- 1988: Satisfaction
- 1988: Love in Texan (Baja Oklahoma , Movie made for TV)
- 1988: Miami Vice (TV series, episode 4x22)
- 1988: Pizza Pizza - A Slice of Heaven (Mystic Pizza)
- 1989: Blood Red - Die For Your Land (Blood Red)
- 1989 Magnolia steel (Steel Magnolias)
- 1990: Pretty Woman
- 1990: Flatliners - Today is a beautiful day to die (Flatliners)
- 1991: Sleeping with the Enemy (Sleeping with the Enemy)
- 1991: Decision out of love (Dying Young)
- 1991: Hook
- 1992: The Player
- 1993: The Act (The Pelican Brief)
- 1994: I Love Trouble - Nothing but trouble (I Love Trouble)
- 1994: Prêt-à-Porter
- 1995: Power of Love (Something to Talk About)
- 1996: Friends (TV series, episode 2 × 13 The One After the Superbowl, Part Two)
- 1996: Mary Reilly
- 1996: Michael Collins
- 1996: Everyone Says I Love You (Everyone Says I Love You)
- 1997: The Best Friend's Wedding (My Best Friend's Wedding)
- 1997: Fletcher's Visions (Conspiracy Theory)
- 1998: Side by Side (Stepmom)
- 1999: Law & Order (TV series, episode 9x20 The Empire )
- 1999: Notting Hill
- 1999: The Runaway Bride
- 2000: Erin Brockovich
- 2000: Nature (documentary series, one episode)
- 2001: The Mexican
- 2001: America's Sweethearts
- 2001: Ocean's Eleven
- 2002: Grand Champion
- 2002: Confessions of a Dangerous Mind (Confessions of a Dangerous Mind)
- 2002: Full Frontal (Full Frontal)
- 2003: Freedom: A History of Us (miniseries)
- 2003: Mona Lisa's Smile (Mona Lisa Smile)
- 2004: Up close (Closer)
- 2004: Ocean's 12 (Ocean's Twelve)
- 2005: Nature (documentary series, 2 episodes)
- 2007: Charlie Wilson's War (Charlie Wilson's War)
- 2008: Back in Summer (Fireflies in the Garden)
- 2009: Duplicity - Shared Secret Matter (Duplicity)
- 2010: Valentine's Day (Valentine's Day)
- 2010: Eat Pray Love
- 2011: Love, Wedding, Marriage - A plan to fall in love with (Love, Wedding, Marriage , speaking role)
- 2011: Larry Crowne
- 2012: Mirror Mirror - The Truly True Story of Snow White (Mirror Mirror)
- 2013: In August in Osage County (August: Osage County)
- 2014: The Normal Heart
- 2015: In front of their eyes (Secret in Their Eyes)
- 2016: Money Monster
- 2016: Mother's Day - love is not child's play (Mother's Day)
- 2017: Wunder (Wonder)
- 2018: Ben is Back
- 2018: Homecoming (TV series, 10 episodes)
- 2006: Wilbur the Pig and Friends (Charlotte's Web)
- 2006: Lucas the Ant Bully
- 2017: The Smurfs: The Lost Village
Unrealized film projects
- While You Slept (1995) - Roberts turned down the role, Sandra Bullock saw the potential of the film, and it became one of the greatest hits of her acting career.
- Batman & Robin (1997) - Roberts was interviewed for the role of Poison Ivy, which was later played by Uma Thurman .
- Shakespeare in Love (1998) - Roberts was slated to star in this film but turned it down. Gwyneth Paltrow stepped in and won an Oscar for her portrayal.
- Six Days, Seven Nights (1998) - Anne Heche starred alongside Harrison Ford after Roberts turned down the role.
- Even is the bride (2009) - allegedly the producers Roberts' fee demand was too high. They then hired Sandra Bullock and the comedy became a worldwide success. In 1999, Bullock and Roberts competed for a role ( The Bride Who Doesn't Dare ) ; then Roberts was victorious. In 2009, Roberts was also offered the lead role in Bullock's most successful film to date, Blind Side . For this role, Bullock received the Oscar for best leading role.
Awards and nominations (selection)
|1992||Golden Raspberry||nomination||Worst supporting actress||Hook|
|1997||Golden Raspberry||nomination||Worst leading actress||Mary Reilly|
|2017||Golden Raspberry||nomination||Worst leading actress||Mother's Day - love is not child's play|
Roberts also received numerous popularity and audience awards all over the world (including eleven “ Bravo Otto ” in Germany). Most recently she received the American Cinematheque Prize in October 2007 .
- Penning, Lars: Julia Roberts . Berlin, Bertz + Fischer Verlag , Berlin 2003, ISBN 3-929470-36-5 .
- James Spada: Julia Roberts. The biography . Hoffmann and Campe Verlag , Hamburg 2004, ISBN 3-455-09436-8 .
- Meinolf Zurhorst : Julia Roberts. "Pretty Woman" . Heyne Film Library, Volume 168 (3rd edition). Wilhelm Heyne Verlag , Munich 1999, ISBN 3-453-05757-0 .
- Literature by and about Julia Roberts in the catalog of the German National Library
- Julia Roberts in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- James Spada: Julia Roberts. The biography . Hamburg 2004, p. 39.
- Julia Roberts' film fees in the IMDb
- Box Office Mojo box office results , accessed on February 22, 2015.
- James Spada: Julia Roberts. The biography . Hamburg 2004, pp. 176-177, 181-182, 193-194, 201-204, 206-207, 211-216.
- Collection of film reviews for Nothing but Trouble on Rotten Tomatoes, accessed on February 22, 2015 (English).
- Notting Hill Box Office Mojo grossing , accessed September 1, 2011.
- Runaway Bride grossing Box Office Mojo, accessed on September 1, 2011th
- Ocean's Eleven Box Office Mojo grossing , accessed September 1
- Ocean's Twelve Box Office Mojo grossing , accessed September 1, 2011.
- Eat, Pray, Love Box Office Mojo grossing , accessed September 1, 2011.
- Top actress salaries are quoteworthy ( Memento from February 20, 2010 in the Internet Archive ) at hollywoodreporter.com, November 30, 2007.
- Biography in the IMDb
- Hardcore fan skin tight with Julia Roberts . Spiegel Online , March 10, 2011.
- James Spada: Julia Roberts. The biography . Hamburg 2004, pp. 176-177, 181-182, 193-194, 201-204, 206-207, 211-216.
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Roberts, Julia Fiona (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||US-american actress|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 28, 1967|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Atlanta , Georgia, United States|