Oscar / Best Actress
The total number of nominations received in this category is shown in brackets. Films qualify for an Oscar in the year following their release. The table below shows the winners according to the year they were awarded.
- Bette Davis was not considered despite her prominent role in Of Human Bondage . However, your name was allowed to be entered on the ballot papers in 1935. Ten official nominations followed later.
- Luise Rainer and Katharine Hepburn were able to repeat their Oscar win the following year.
- Greta Garbo , Rosalind Russell , Barbara Stanwyck and Deborah Kerr received an honorary Oscar.
- In 1969 the trophy was awarded twice. Katharine Hepburn and Barbra Streisand received an equal number of votes.
- Helen Hayes and Maggie Smith each won their second Oscar for Best Supporting Actress.
- Ingrid Bergman and Meryl Streep received a total of three Oscars, as both were also recognized as best supporting actress.
- Barbra Streisand won her second Oscar for best movie song ( A Star Is Born ).
- Emma Thompson won her second Oscar for Best Screenplay Adaptation ( Sense and Sensuality ).
- Judi Dench and Kate Winslet were nominated for playing the same role: Dench for best leading actress for old Iris Murdoch and Winslet for best supporting role as young Iris Murdoch in Iris .
- There were also two nominations for the role of Rose DeWitt Bukater in Titanic , which was played in different ages: for Kate Winslet as Young Rose (best leading actress) and Gloria Stuart as old Rose (best supporting actress).
- In 1999, two women were nominated for the first time to portray the same character in different films: Cate Blanchett played Queen Elizabeth I in the film Elizabeth and was nominated for Best Actress; Judi Dench was nominated (and honored) for Best Supporting Actress for her portrayal of the Queen in Shakespeare in Love .
- Cate Blanchett is the only woman nominated twice for playing the same film character: once for the role of Queen Elizabeth I in 1998 and a second time for the same role in 2007 (in Elizabeth - The Golden Kingdom ).
- Helen Hayes , Ingrid Bergman , Maggie Smith , Meryl Streep , Jessica Lange , Cate Blanchett and Renée Zellweger are the only actresses who have won both an Oscar for Best Actress and an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress .
|year||Award winners||for the movie||Nominations|
Angel of the road
Happiness in the attic
sunrise - song of two people
Louise Dresser for Die neue Heimat
Gloria Swanson for ... but the meat is weak
|1930 (1)||Mary Pickford||Coquette||
Ruth Chatterton for Madame X
Betty Compson for Love
Fair Jeanne Eagels for The Letter
Corinne Griffith for The Uncrowned Queen
Bessie Love for The Broadway Melody
|1930 (2)||Norma Shearer||The woman for everyone||
Nancy Carroll for The Devil's Holiday
Ruth Chatterton for Lullaby
Greta Garbo for Anna Christie
Greta Garbo for Romance
Norma Shearer for Their Own Desire
Gloria Swanson for The Trespasser
In 1933 there was no Academy Awards.