Lady Gaga (* 28. March 1986 as Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta in New York City ) is an American singer , songwriter and actress . Her international breakthrough came in 2008 with her debut album The Fame . With over 150 million records sold, she is one of the most successful singers. So far she has released six studio albums, including one with jazz musician Tony Bennett .
With the lead role in A Star Is Born , she also achieved her international breakthrough as an actress . She was nominated for an Oscar for Best Actress in 2019 and received the award for best movie song . She has also received eleven Grammys and two Golden Globes to date .
She was born in 1986 to Italian American parents in Manhattan . Her father Joseph Germanotta is an internet entrepreneur, her mother Cynthia Louise Bissett an assistant in a telecommunications company . She has a younger sister and attended a girls' Catholic school in the Upper East Side . In high school she played musical -Hauptrollen as Adelaide in Guys and Dolls and Philia in A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum .
At the age of 17, she began studying music at the Tisch School of the Arts at New York University . By writing essays and analytical work on art, religion, social affairs and politics, she continued to educate herself in her songwriting . In the fourth semester, she left the university in order to concentrate fully on her career. After moving out of her parents' home at the age of 18, she worked as a go-go dancer as her parents did not support her financially. During this time they have begun to drugs to consume her father after which temporarily contact broke off. She was raped when she was 19 .
She told Larry King Live that she suffered from the autoimmune disease lupus erythematosus , from which her aunt died. However, the values determined by the doctors were in the tolerance range, so far none of the typical symptoms had shown. In September 2017, she announced that she had fibromyalgia .
From 2011 to 2016 she was in a relationship with actor Taylor Kinney , to whom she got engaged in February 2015. After a brief liaison with her sound engineer Don Horton in summer 2019, Gaga presented investor Michael Polansky as a new man by her side on Instagram in February 2020 .
She began playing the piano as a child and writing songs as a teenager. She had her first appearances in the rock , but above all in the camp and queer scene on the Lower East Side , where she could be seen supporting glam and garage rock bands such as Semi Precious Weapons. At the age of 19 she signed a record deal with Def Jam Recordings , but it was terminated after three months. Shortly thereafter, she met the music producer RedOne , with whom she wrote the song Boys Boys Boys .
“Every day when Stef [Lady Gaga] came into the studio, I would start singing Radio Ga Ga instead of saying 'hello'. 'Lady Gaga' was actually a glitch; I typed 'Radio Ga Ga' into a text message and it auto-corrected; so 'radio' somehow changed to 'lady'. She wrote back to me: "That's it." After that day she was Lady Gaga. "
In 2007 Lady Gaga worked with the artist Lady Starlight, who created her stage outfits. The duo eventually appeared under the name Lady Gaga and the Starlight Revue; in August they played at the Lollapalooza Music Festival .
2008–2010: The international breakthrough with The Fame and The Fame Monster
In 2008 Lady Gaga moved to Los Angeles to complete her debut album The Fame ; it was released in August. The album became a worldwide commercial success with around 15 million records sold; it reached # 1 in six countries and # 2 in the United States. The first two single releases, Just Dance and Poker Face , were also commercial hits. In 2011 she was awarded a Grammy in the Best Dance Recording category for Poker Face . For the album she received a Grammy in the category Best Electronic / Dance Album. The fourth single, Paparazzi, also won the MTV Video Music Awards in the categories of Best New Artist, Best Art Direction and Best Special Effects. In 2008 she sang in the opening act on a tour of the boy group New Kids on the Block . Her first tour as a headliner was The Fame Ball Tour in 2009.
In November 2009 the EP The Fame Monster was released with eight new songs. The first single Bad Romance reached number 1 in 18 countries and was downloaded over four million times. This makes her the first singer who has sold three singles - Just Dance, Poker Face, Bad Romance - digitally over four million times in the USA. The song Telephone , a collaboration with Beyoncé Knowles , was released as the second single . The song became Lady Gaga's fourth number one hit in the UK. Their subsequent Monster Ball Tour included around 200 concerts.
2011–2012: Born This Way and film debut
In February 2011, the single Born This Way was released from their next album . A few hours after its release, the song was number 1 on various download portals and was on the iTunes charts in 23 countries. Born This Way was the first song that reached number 1 in the German single charts only through downloads ; it was Lady Gaga's fourth number one hit in Germany in two years. She won two awards for Born This Way at the Europe Music Awards, including best song. In total, she won four prizes in the evening. Poker Face and Just Dance are the first songs in the United States to be downloaded more than six million times. The music video of Lady Gaga were on the Internet portal YouTube called over a billion times what had been done before any other musician.
In May 2011, Lady Gaga set a record in Great Britain: She is the first solo artist since Ruby Murray in 1955 to be represented in the top 20 with four singles at the same time, namely with Born This Way , Judas , The Edge of Glory and Hair . She made her first appearance in Germany as part of the promotion tour for the new album in June 2011 when she appeared in the finale of the casting show Germany's Next Topmodel in Cologne. In November 2011 she performed at the MTV Europe Music Awards. There she was nominated for six prizes, four of which she won. In the same month, she appeared in a live version at Bambi 2011 with the title Marry the Night . Shortly afterwards, Karl Lagerfeld presented her with the Bambi in the Pop International category. Lady Gaga was the fourth most financially successful musician in the world in 2011, with revenues of more than 25 million US dollars.
At the end of April 2012 she started her tour The Born This Way Ball in Seoul ; more than 100 shows followed worldwide. In 2013 she made her film debut with the role of La Chameleón in Robert Rodriguez 's film Machete Kills .
2013–2014: ARTPOP and Cheek to Cheek
Due to a hip injury, she had to end the tour early. A break followed during which she recovered from an operation. In August 2013, the single Applause was released from their third studio album Artpop after some excerpts were illegally posted on the Internet. Before that, a demo version of their song Aura was illegally published online. Applause was in the top 5 of the US charts. This was followed by an appearance at the VMAs .
The following single, Do What U Want , a collaboration with R. Kelly , was another chart success. The album Artpop was released in November 2013. Lady Gaga invited some fans to a launch party in New York that she called artRAVE . There she presented statues of Jeff Koons and sang several songs from the album. Artpop became their second number one album in the US and topped the charts in other countries as well. However, it fell short of expectations; her previous album had sold better. The day before the album was released, her manager Troy Carter resigned. She went through a period of depression and avoided the public for a while. The album's third single, GUY , was released on March 2014. It reached number 76 on the Billboard Hot 100 . From May to November 2014 she went on the world tour artRAVE: The ARTPOP Ball . She gave a total of 75 concerts on four continents and appeared for the first time in Istanbul and the UAE .
Before the end of her tour, she will start promoting her next studio album, Cheek to Cheek , which she recorded with Tony Bennett . It was the second collaboration with him; In 2011 she recorded her version of The Lady Is a Tramp with him . Cheek to Cheek differs from their other releases in that it is a jazz record. The first single, Anything Goes , was released in July 2014. Another single, I Can't Give You Anything But Love, followed in August. Both reached # 1 on the Billboard Digital Jazz Songs chart . The album release followed in September; this album also reached number 1 on the Billboard charts. It was also Cheek to Cheek at the ceremony Grammy 57th in the category Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album award. It was later announced that Bennett and Lady Gaga would tour America and Europe in 2015. They gave their first concert on New Year's Eve 2014 in Las Vegas .
2015–2017: American Horror Story and Joanne
In February 2015, Lady Gaga sang an excerpt from The Sound of Music at the 2015 Academy Awards . She received good reviews for her performance, including from Julie Andrews , who played the lead role in the 1965 Oscar- winning film. At the 2015 European Games in Baku , she performed a piano version of John Lennon's song Imagine . In September 2015, Til It Happens to You was released , which was nominated for a Grammy and an Oscar.
A fashion film directed by Nick Knight for Tom Ford was released in October 2015 . It shows Lady Gaga next to several models dancing on a catwalk. A new version of Chic's I Want Your Love is playing in the background, recorded by Lady Gaga and Nile Rodgers . From October 2015 to January 2016 she was in the series American Horror Story . She was awarded a Golden Globe for her portrayal . She is also represented in the 6th season.
In September 2016, Perfect Illusion was released , the first single from their fifth studio album Joanne , which was released in October 2016. The single as well as the album could not build on the old successes and got out of the German charts after two weeks and five weeks respectively. In October she started the Dive Bar Tour , during which she traveled through the USA for three concerts. It was followed by the single Million Reasons . For the album she worked with Mark Ronson , RedOne and Elton John , among others .
In February 2017, she appeared on the Super Bowl LI halftime show in front of 150 million viewers. In March 2017 she was a guest judge at RuPaul's Drag Race . In April 2017 she was the headliner of the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival , where she sang the song The Cure , which was released as a single after the performance. The documentary Gaga: Five Foot Two was shot in collaboration with Netflix and released in September 2017.
2018–2020: Film A Star Is Born , shows in Las Vegas and Chromatica
In August 2017, Lady Gaga announced that she had started work on her sixth studio album. She recorded songs with Boys Noize , among others, as well as with DJ White Shadow and BloodPop , with whom she had previously worked. In March 2018, a cover of Elton John's song Your Song , which she had recorded for the album Revamp & Restoration , was released.
She starred in Bradley Cooper's remake of A Star Is Born . The film was released in October 2018. She also recorded songs for the soundtrack . The song Shallow , which she sang with Cooper, was released as the first single in September . The piece was nominated for several Grammys in 2019 and was awarded an Oscar for best movie song.
Since December 2018 Lady Gaga has regularly played two show programs in Las Vegas : she performed her pop hits at Enigma , acoustic versions of her pieces and jazz tracks at Jazz & Piano . In February 2020 she released the single Stupid Love, the first release of her sixth studio album Chromatica , which was released at the end of May 2020. In the same month she released the single Rain On Me , a collaboration with Ariana Grande . With Sour Candy Lady Gaga had just before the start of the new album in collaboration with Black Pink released the third single from the album.
Influences and style of music
Musically Lady Gaga has been influenced by musicians such as David Bowie , Queen , Madonna , Michael Jackson , Grace Jones and Debbie Harry . Their singing is compared to that of Madonna and Gwen Stefani and their music is described as 1980s pop and 1990s Europop. Looking back on her debut album The Fame , the Sunday Times wrote : “When you combine the music, fashion, art and technology, Lady Gaga reminds you of Madonna when she was good, of Gwen Stefani around the time of Hollaback Girl , of Kylie 2001 or Grace Jones right now. ” Boston Globe critic Sarah Rodman similarly commented on her“ Obvious inspirations from Madonna to Gwen Stefani, which emerge in her girlish but powerful voice and bubbly beats. ”
Comparing her to Madonna, Lady Gaga comments: “I don't want to sound arrogant, but I made it my goal to revolutionize pop music. The last revolution was initiated by Madonna 25 years ago. ”In an interview, she described herself as a big fan of Iron Maiden , for whom she also worked as a roadie .
Lady Gaga called Rainer Maria Rilke's letters to a young poet her favorite book; Since 2009 she has had a quote from it in German as a tattoo on her left upper arm: “Check whether it extends its roots in the deepest part of your heart, admit to yourself whether you would have to die if you were unable to write. Do I have to write? "
Top ranking, total weeks, awardChart placementsChart placements
(Year, title, music label , placements, weeks, awards, notes)
Cherrytree / Interscope / Kon Live / Streamline
First published: August 19, 2008
Sales: + 15,000,000
Born This Way
Interscope / Kon Live / Streamline
AT1 (32 weeks)
First published: May 23, 2011
Sales: + 8,000,000
Interscope / Streamline
DE3 (11 weeks)
First published: November 6, 2013
Sales: + 2,500,000
Interscope / Streamline
DE6 (7 weeks)
AT9 (3 weeks)
CH3 (20 weeks)
First published: October 21, 2016
Sales: + 1,315,000
DE3 (... weeks)
AT1 (... week)
CH1 (... week)
US1 (... week)
First published: May 29, 2020
Sales: + 414,000
- 2001: The Sopranos (The Sopranos; TV series)
- 2009: The Gospel of Mark for Little Children (short film)
- 2010: Lady Gaga: Born for Fame (documentary)
- 2011: Lady Gaga Presents: The Monster Ball Tour at Madison Square Garden (concert film)
- 2012: Men in Black 3 (cameo as Alien)
- 2012: The Simpsons (The Simpsons; television series, speaking role)
- 2013: Lady Gaga: iTunes Festival (concert film)
- 2013: Machete Kills
- 2014: Sin City: A Dame to Kill For
- 2014: Muppets Most Wanted
- 2015: Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga: Cheek to Cheek - Live (concert film)
- 2015–2016: American Horror Story (TV series)
- 2018: A Star Is Born
- 2010: Best Dance Recording - Poker Face (Single)
- 2010: Best Electronic / Dance Album - The Fame (Album)
- 2011: Best Pop Vocal Album - The Fame Monster (Album)
- 2011: Best Female Vocal Pop Performance - Bad Romance (Single)
- 2011: Best Short Forum Music Video - Bad Romance (Single)
- 2015: Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album - Cheek to Cheek (Album) with Tony Bennett
- 2019: Best Pop Solo Performance - Joanne (Single)
- 2019: Best Song Written for Visual Media - Shallow (Single) with Bradley Cooper
- 2019: Best Pop Duo / Group Performance - Shallow (Single) with Bradley Cooper
- 2020: Best Compilation Soundtrack for Visual Media - A Star Is Born (Soundtrack) with Bradley Cooper
- 2020: Best Song Written for Visual Media - I'll Never Love Again (film version) (single) with Bradley Cooper
- 2016: Nomination as best film song for Til It Happens to You
- 2019: Nomination for Best Actress for her role in A Star Is Born
- 2019: Award as best film song for Shallow from A Star Is Born
- 2016: Award for Best Actress in a Mini-Series or TV-Movie for her role in American Horror Story
- 2019: Award as best film song (drama) for Shallow from A Star is Born
- 2019: Nomination for Best Actress (Drama) for her role in A Star is Born
In 2012 a genus of ferns comprising 19 species was named after Lady Gaga by a working group led by biology professor Kathleen Pryer ( Duke University ), including the species names Gaga germanotta (alluding to her family name) and Gaga monstraparva ("Gaga's little monster" ). A striking common feature of these ferns is the sequence of the nucleobases G - A - G - A in one of their genes .
- Lady Gaga, Terry Richardson: Lady Gaga x Terry Richardson . Translated from the English by Helmut Dierlamm. Goldmann, Munich 2011, ISBN 978-3-442-31313-6 .
- Maureen Callahan: Lady Gaga. The biography. Translated from the English by Irene Eisenhut. Heyne, Munich 2010, ISBN 978-3-453-64047-4 .
- Lizzy Goodman: Lady Gaga. Borderline fashion. White-Star-Verlag, Wiesbaden 2011, ISBN 978-3-86726-168-5 .
- Michael Fuchs-Gamböck: Lady Gaga. vgs Egmont, Cologne 2010, ISBN 978-3-8025-3709-7 .
- ladygaga.com (English)
- Lady Gaga at universal-music (German)
- Lady Gaga at Discogs (English)
- Lady Gaga in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Lady Gaga at laut.de
- Lady Gaga at Allmusic (English)
- How Lady Gaga Became the World's Biggest Pop Star . New York Magazine
- Lady Gaga: Biography .
- Lady GaGa Brings Her Artistic Vision Of Pop Music To New Album - And A New Kids Song . MTV.com
- Steffen Rüth: I am Gaga. In: now , November 20, 2009.
- Lady Gaga - Biography, Photos, News, Videos, Reviews and Tour Dates and Tickets. Contactmusic.com
- "It changed me completely". rollingstone.de
- Report on the disease in the T-Online web portal
- Lady Gaga because of severe pain in the hospital Spiegel Online, accessed September 18, 2017.
- Michael Polansky is Gaga's new friend. August 31, 2020, accessed August 31, 2020 .
- UK News, World News and Opinion. The Times
- Camp Music. Help! "Camp" is back! Contribution to tracks
- Lady Gaga. AllMusic
- A&R, Record Label / Company, Music Publishing, Artist Manager and Music Industry Directory
- Lady Gaga's outrageous persona born in Parsippany, New Jersey . NJ.com
- Meet the woman who inspired Lady Gaga . Thaindian News
- Lady GaGa: Celebrities. ( Memento of the original from May 25, 2012 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. Wmagazine.com, 2007
- Lady Gaga - The Fame - Music Charts.
- International Pop Star Lady Gaga Set to Tour With New Kids on the Block . Reuters
- Lady Gaga / May 2, 2009 / New York (Terminal 5).
- gagadaily.com ( Memento of the original from October 18, 2009 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Lady Gaga - Bad Romance - Music Charts.
- Week Ending June 20, 2010: Let's Thank Him Now | Chart watch . Yahoo! Music
- Lady Gaga cracks international iTunes charts ( memento of the original from February 15, 2011 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. . Music market (accessed on May 23, 2011)
- J. Cole Helps Bring R & B / Hip-Hop Back To No. 1 - chart beat . Billboard.com
- Lady Gaga beats Justin Bieber to YouTube record . BBC - Newsbeat
- UK charts: Adele fends off Kate Bush . ( Memento of the original from May 27, 2011 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. Musikmarkt.de
- List of Bambi Prize Winners 2011 ( Memento of the original from October 16, 2011 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link has been inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Top Money Makers Music . Billboard
- Lady Gaga becomes a gangster bride . Stern.de; Retrieved July 27, 2012
- Lady Gaga sings Imagine at the European Games 2015
- Lady Gaga for Tom Ford
- Lady Gaga nails beautiful rendition of 'Star-Spangled Banner' . USA Today
- How Lady Gaga Turned into David Bowie for Her 2016 Grammys Performance . Vanity Fair (Magazine)
- Working on the new album
- Lady Gaga and RedOne collaboration 2016
- Official page of the shows at Park MGM Las Vegas
- Lady Gaga: New single 'Stupid Love'. In: Rolling Stone. February 28, 2020, accessed May 22, 2020 .
- Lady Gaga publishes tracklist for “Chromatica” and announces release date. In: Universal Music. May 7, 2020, accessed May 22, 2020 .
- Lady Gaga and Ariana Grande release a song together. In: RP Online. May 22, 2020, accessed May 22, 2020 .
- Lady Gaga: Sour Candy. In: YouTube. May 28, 2020, accessed May 28, 2020 .
- Lady Gaga: The Fame . The Guardian, Jan. 9, 2009
- UK News, World News and Opinion. The Times
- Lady Gaga . Boston.com
- The Fear Factor; Lady Gaga used tough times as inspiration for her new album . Free online library
- Lady Gaga Roadie for Iron Maiden on Metal Hammer , July 22, 2011
- Vanessa Grigoriadis: 125 Minutes With Lady Gaga. nymag.com, March 29, 2009
- Kathleen L. Komar: Rainer Maria Rilke: German Speaker, World Author. In: Thomas Oliver Beebee (Ed.): German Literature as World Literature. Bloomsbury, New York / London 2014, ISBN 978-1-62356-391-2 , ISBN 978-1-62356-189-5 , pp. 85-100, especially p. 90 ( books.google.de )
- Anna-Lena Roth: Rilke's biggest fan. In: Süddeutsche Zeitung , October 14, 2009.
- The quotation in context in a letter from Rainer Maria Rilke: To Franz Xaver Kappus. February 17, 1903.
- Lady Gaga and the sociology of fame: college course. The Independent, November 17, 2010, accessed September 29, 2017 .
- Ben Siegel: Lady Gaga dazzles fans with fun, solid show ( Memento from July 10, 2014 in the Internet Archive ) buffalonews.com, July 8, 2014, accessed on March 28, 2019 (English).
- List of Grammy winners . CNN.com
- 53rd annual Grammy awards: The winners list . The Marquee Blog - CNN.com
- Nineteen Species of Fern Named for Lady Gaga. Researcher says the inspiration was literally written in the DNA sequences. Duke University, October 19, 2012
- Now greens are already being named after the Gaga! Pro Sieben, October 24, 2012
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Lady GaGa (stage name); Germanotta, Stefani Joanne Angelina (real name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American pop singer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 28, 1986|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||New York City , New York, United States|