Oscar / Best Director
|Most frequently honored director||John Ford (4 wins)|
|Most frequently nominated director||William Wyler (12 nominations)|
|Most frequently nominated director without a win||Clarence Brown (6 nominations)|
|Youngest winner||Damien Chazelle (32 years + 38 days)|
|Oldest winner||Clint Eastwood (74)|
|Youngest nominee||John Singleton (24)|
|Oldest nominee||John Huston (79)|
|The only female winner||Kathryn Bigelow|
- Eight directors were nominated for best director and best actor for the same film: Warren Beatty for Heaven Shall Wait and Reds , Clint Eastwood for Merciless and Million Dollar Baby , Orson Welles ( Citizen Kane ), Laurence Olivier ( Hamlet ), Woody Allen ( Der Urban Neurotics ), Kenneth Branagh ( Henry V. ), Kevin Costner ( Who Dances With Wolves ) and Roberto Benigni ( Life is Beautiful ).
- The only brothers nominated together were Ethan and Joel Coen for No Country for Old Men (2007) and True Grit (2010).
- Steven Soderbergh is the only director to date to have been nominated for two films in the same year: At the 2001 Academy Awards he was awarded for Traffic - Power of the Cartel , and he was nominated for Erin Brockovich .
- John Ford, Joseph L. Mankiewicz and Alejandro González Iñárritu are the only defending champions.
- Since 2014, the Oscar has been awarded 5 times to Mexican directors in 6 awards: Alfonso Cuarón won in 2014 and 2019 for Gravity and Roma , Alejandro González Iñárritu won in 2015 and 2016 for Birdman and The Revenant - The Returner and Guillermo del Toro won in 2018 for Shape of Water - The whisper of water .
- A total of 25 directors were nominated whose films are not spoken in English. Only Alfonso Cuarón ( Roma ) and Bong Joon-ho ( Parasite ) won.
- Only 5 directors were nominated for Best Director : Lina Wertmüller for Seven Beauties , Jane Campion for Das Piano , Sofia Coppola for Lost in Translation , Kathryn Bigelow for Tödliches Kommando - The Hurt Locker ( won ) and Greta Gerwig for Lady Bird .
Films qualify for an Oscar in the year following their release. The table below shows the winners according to the year they were awarded.
|year||Award winners||for the movie||Nominations|
|The happiness in the attic||
Herbert Brenon for Captain Sorrell and his son
King Vidor for A Man of the Masses
|The battlers||Ted Wilde for street hunting with Speedy|
|1930 (1)||Frank Lloyd||The uncrowned queen||
Lionel Barrymore for Madame X
Harry Beaumont for The Broadway Melody
Irving Cummings for In Old Arizona
Frank Lloyd for Drag
Frank Lloyd for Weary River
Ernst Lubitsch for Der Patriot
|1930 (2)||Lewis Milestone||nothing new in the West||
Clarence Brown for Anna Christie
Clarence Brown for Romance
Robert Z. Leonard for Die Frau für alle
Ernst Lubitsch for Liebesparade
King Vidor for Hallelujah