|Country of production
Short Cuts tells episodes from the lives of a number of people living in Los Angeles . Among other things, relationship problems, the unglamorous reality of phone sex and the discovery of a water body are presented.
The individual, loosely connected storylines develop a complex network - there is no main story in the classic sense. Two events connect all threads: a helicopter flight over Los Angeles at the beginning of the film and an earthquake at the end.
Short Cuts has been enthusiastically received by critics around the world. In particular, the overall performance of a very large cast was praised. Special prizes from the Venice International Film Festival and the Golden Globe have been awarded to the entire cast . Robert Altman is considered to be the founder of this so-called multi character form , which, in contrast to the conventional separation of leading and supporting roles, relies on the performance of an ensemble from which no individual actors stand out.
"Former director Robert Altman shows average people with all longings and frustrations. He dives into the metropolis of Los Angeles with his camera and shows moments from the lives of different people. Artfully intertwined episodes combine to form an apocalyptic monumental painting, a Southern Californian moral image from the end of the 20th century. An outstanding group of prominent actors gives the brilliant direction additional charm. "
“A multitude of episodic insights into the lives of Californian couples are artfully interwoven to form a satirical, unsettling portrait of a society without responsibility, shame and intimacy. Robert Altman builds on stylistic elements and the distant view of his film ' Nashville ' and, supported by a prominent and convincing ensemble of actors, delivers a pessimistic inventory of the early 1990s. "
- 1993: Venice Film Festival : Golden Lion for the best film and Coppa Volpi for the best ensemble performance
- 1994: Oscar nomination for Best Director
- 1994: Golden Globe - special award for the best ensemble performance
- 1994: Independent Spirit Awards in the categories Best Director , Best Feature Film , Best Screenplay . Also nominated in the Best Supporting Actress category (Julianne Moore)
- 1994: National Society of Film Critics Award for Best Supporting Actress (Madeleine Stowe)
- 1995: Bodil Award for the best American film
- 1995: César nomination in the category Best Foreign Film
- Raymond Carver : Short Cuts. Narratives . Heyne, Munich 1994, 170 pages, ISBN 3-453-07392-4
- Michaela Krützen : Short Cuts: Nine pairs . In: Michaela Krützen: Dramaturgies of the film. Hollywood with a difference. Fischer Verlag, Frankfurt a. M. 2010, pp. 366-417. ISBN 978-3-10-040503-6
- Short Cuts in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Short Cuts atrotten tomatoes(English)
- Short cuts in the German dubbing file