Aronofsky comes from a conservative Jewish teacher household. After school, Aronofsky attended Harvard University and studied anthropology , film, and animation. In 1991 he graduated from university with honors. He then attended the American Film Institute . In 1996, Aronofsky began working on the conception of his first feature film, Pi . In 1997 he founded the film production company Protozoa Pictures . Pi was completed in 1998; at the Sundance Film Festival of the same year he received the award for best director.
Requiem for a Dream followed in 2000, realized with a larger budget and received even more attention from film critics. The film project that Aronofsky wanted to follow could only be started with a few years delay due to the departure of an actor and the bursting of funding. The film was released in 2006 under the title The Fountain , with Hugh Jackman and Rachel Weisz playing the leading roles. In 2008, Aronofsky received the Golden Lion of the 65th Venice Film Festival for The Wrestler, with Mickey Rourke as the title character .
Aronofsky's cinematic trademark is a technique known as hip-hop montage . Pictures or actions are shown in time-lapse , while sound effects are cut that are intended to clarify a certain, recurring action or trance-like intoxication (e.g. the drug consumption of the protagonists in Requiem for a Dream or the panic-like attacks in Pi ). The music for the films directed by Aronofsky comes from his friend Clint Mansell . Furthermore, he often uses the Snorricam - also known as the body mount - where the camera is attached to the actor's stomach, films his face and so only the background seems to move.
In 2011 Aronofsky received an Oscar nomination for directing the psychological thriller Black Swan, which is set in the New York ballet milieu . Also in 2011, Aronofsky was President of the Jury at the 68th Venice Film Festival . In 2014, the Bible adaptation Noah followed with Russell Crowe in the title role. In 2015 he headed the competition jury at the 65th Berlin International Film Festival .
Aronofsky was engaged to Oscar winner Rachel Weisz , whom he met in 2002 and with whom he directed the film The Fountain . In 2006 the couple had a son. In November 2010, Rachel Weisz announced the split. In 2017, Aronofsky was in a relationship with Jennifer Lawrence for a few months .
- 1991: Supermarket Sweep
- 1991: Fortune Cookie
- 1993: Protozoa
- 1998: Pi (director, screenplay, editor)
- 2000: Requiem for a Dream (director, screenplay, editor and cameo)
- 2002: Below (producer, screenplay)
- 2006: The Fountain (Director, Screenplay)
- 2008: The Wrestler (Director, Producer)
- 2010: Black Swan (Director, Producer)
- 2010: The Fighter (producer)
- 2014: Noah (director, producer, screenplay)
- 2016: Jackie: The First Lady (Producer)
- 2017: Mother! (Director, producer, screenplay)
- 2018: White Boy Rick (Producer)
- 2018: One Strange Rock (producer), television documentary
- 2018: SPHERES: Songs of Spacetime (producer), virtual reality
Awards and nominations (selection)
- 2008: Venice International Film Festival : Golden Lion for The Wrestler
- 2010: Venice International Film Festival : Nomination for Best Director for Black Swan
- 2011: British Academy Film Award : Nomination for Best Director for Black Swan
- 2011: Golden Globe Award : Nomination for Best Director for Black Swan
- 2011: Directors Guild of America : Nomination for Best Director for Black Swan
- 2011: Oscar : Nomination for Best Director for Black Swan
- 2011: Scream Award : Award in the Best Director category for Black Swan
- 2018: Golden Raspberry : Nomination in the category worst director for Mother!
- Darren Aronofsky in theInternet Movie Database(English)
- Literature by and about Darren Aronofsky in the catalog of the German National Library
- Darren Aronofsky in the Internet Speculative Fiction Database (English)
- Portrait at excessif.com
- Portrait of Darren Aronofsky on film-zeit.de
- zdf.de , documentary " One Strange Rock ", accessed April 5, 2019
- sundance.org/projects , " SPHERES: Songs of Spacetime ", accessed April 5, 2019, (English)
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American film director and screenwriter|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 12, 1969|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Brooklyn , New York City|