Venice International Film Festival
Founded in 1932, the Venice International Film Festival ( Italian Mostra internazionale d'arte cinematografica di Venezia ) is part of the Biennale for contemporary art and takes place every year from the end of August to the beginning of September on the Lido in Venice . There were no film festivals in 1933 and 1943 to 1945. The film festival is the oldest film festival in the world and, together with the Cannes film festival and the Berlinale , is still one of the most important international film festivals.
History and competition
The main venue is the historic Palazzo del Cinema .
The main prizes for the best films from 1934 to 1942 were the Coppa Mussolini , named after the Italian dictator at the time . The awards went to the best Italian and best foreign films. Since 1947 only one film has been honored with the main prize. After the Grand International Prize of Venice in 1947 and 1948 and the Lion of San Marco in 1949 , this has been the Golden Lion ( Italian Leone d'Oro ) ever since . It is given to the director of the film in question. Other directing awards are the Silver Lion, which is awarded in various categories, while the best actors in a competition film are awarded the Coppa Volpi . Further prizes are awarded in film-technical categories.
The most important awards at a glance:
|category||Original designation||awarded since|
|Golden lion||Leone d'Oro per il miglior film||1949|
|Silver Lion - Best Director||Leone d'Argento per la migliore regia||1990|
|Special prize from the jury||Premio Speciale della Giuria||1951|
|Best Actor||Coppa Volpi per la migliore interpretations maschile||1935|
|Best Actress||Coppa Volpi per la migliore interpretations femminile||1935|
|Marcello Mastroianni Prize - Best Young Actor||Premio Marcello Mastroianni a un giovane attore o attrice emergente||1998|
|Best script||Premio per la migliore sceneggiatura||2004|
|Best technical performance||Premio per il migliore contributo tecnico.||2004|
|Golden Lion - Speedwell||Leone d'Oro alla Carriera||1971|
Further prizes awarded at the film festival:
- Signis Award from the international Catholic jury, World Catholic Association for Communication (since 1948)
- EIUC Human Rights Film Award (since 2004)
- Gucci Group Award (since 2006)
- Queer Lion , as an award for films with LGBT and queer topics (since 2007)
- Venice Film Festival takes place with restrictions. In: ORF.at . May 24, 2020, accessed May 24, 2020 .
- Cinema: Regolamento ( Memento of the original from September 8, 2012 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. at labiennale.org (accessed May 27, 2014).
- Seventy years of SIGNIS at the Venice Film Festival. signis.net, October 28, 2018 (English).
- vogue.co.uk: Marc Boal - Gucci Group Award 2009 (accessed October 29, 2014)