Thelma & Louise
|German title||Thelma & Louise|
|Original title||Thelma & Louise|
|Country of production||United States|
|Age rating||FSK 16|
|production||Mimi Polk Gitlin|
Thelma & Louise is an American road movie with thriller elements from 1991. Ridley Scott directed and Callie Khouri wrote the screenplay . The leading roles of the two friends Louise and Thelma, whose initially harmless excursion leads to a dramatic escape, play Susan Sarandon and Geena Davis .
Thelma Dickinson, a somewhat chaotic housewife, is thoroughly fed up with her existence and her despotic husband. Her enterprising friend, Louise Sawyer, has a hard time working as a waitress and in her private life.
The two agree to leave civilization for a weekend and set off with Louise's Ford Thunderbird convertible . In a shabby bar in Arkansas, Thelma runs into the ruffian Harlan and is only saved from rape by the fact that Louise holds a revolver that Thelma brought with him to his neck. When Harlan immediately afterwards provoked Louise with vulgar remarks, she shot him in an affect . Because Thelma had previously danced and had fun with the man and was drunk, Louise fears that the police will not take the actual course of the crime from them, which is why the women decide to flee to Mexico .
On the way they are approached by JD, who asks them to take him to Oklahoma City , where the three stay in a motel. When Louise tries to pick up a money order that her friend Jimmy Lennox has arranged for her, Jimmy suddenly stands in front of her. He doesn't understand what's going on with Louise and she doesn't answer all of his questions. He hands Louise a ring, she wants to know why now. Obviously Jimmy loves her, but she has to put him off that they could meet sometime later, just not now.
As Louise is in Jimmy's room, Thelma is alone when JD knocks on her door. It's raining heavily so she lets him in. She has a soft spot for the handsome young man. JD tells her that he is on parole because he was convicted of assaults. He tells the woman in need of love that she is about to steal his heart. They sleep together. The next morning Thelma leaves JD alone in the room, Louise suspects something bad, and in fact the envelope that Thelma had in safekeeping is empty. JD disappeared with the money.
Louise doesn't know what to do next. Since they definitely need money, Thelma robbed a shop following the example of JD, who told her how his robberies went. However, the police quickly track them down, and there is a video of the robbery in the shop. JD has meanwhile been caught. Policeman Hal Slocumb asks where he got the $ 6,600, saying it was exactly the amount Jimmy Lennox sent his friend Louise Sawyer. Hal understands the situation of women and asks JD if he thinks Thelma and Louise would have committed a robbery if he hadn't stolen their money. He thinks he will hold him personally responsible if something happens to the women.
Since Louise refuses to drive through Texas, the two head west. On their further escape, they met the truck driver again several times, who couldn't help making suggestive remarks the first time. All of a sudden, Thelma realizes that Louise was raped in the past and therefore doesn't want to go to Texas. When she talks about it, the friend closes herself and says that she will never talk about it. As they continue their journey, they are stopped by a police officer for exceeding the speed limit. Suddenly Thelma holds a gun to the officer and gives Louise instructions on what to do. Then they lock the policeman in the trunk of his patrol car and drive away.
Louise calls Hal Slocumb again, trying to persuade her to surrender. He believed her that it was an accident and that everything else was based on it. He says that he will do everything he can to help them. Louise hangs up. Again they meet the truck driver, who even now cannot refrain from sexist allusions. The man sees himself at the goal of his wishes when Thelma and Louise stop. With targeted shots, however, the two blow up his tanker truck and drive away.
A major police manhunt is initiated. Suddenly the cops are everywhere. Louises aggressive driving style leads to several collisions. But more and more cars are following them. Then the persecution stops abruptly. Thelma and Louise are standing on the edge of the Grand Canyon when a police helicopter appears in front of them. They are surrounded, police everywhere. Policeman Hal is the only one who knows how women feel. Thelma says to Louise: “They shouldn't get us. [...] Go on, drive on! ”She points to the abyss of the Grand Canyon. Louise accelerates and the Thunderbird shoots over the edge of the rock. Hand in hand, the two women fall to certain death. Hal is late.
|Oscar for the best camera||Adrian Biddle||lost at||Robert Richardson for JFK - Crime Scene Dallas|
|Oscar for best director||Ridley Scott||lost at||Jonathan Demme for The Silence of the Lambs|
|Oscar for best actress||Geena Davis||lost at||Jodie Foster for The Silence of the Lambs|
|Oscar for best actress||Susan Sarandon||lost at||Jodie Foster for The Silence of the Lambs|
|Oscar for the best editing||Thom Noble||lost at||Joe Hutshing , Pietro Scalia for JFK - Crime Scene Dallas|
|Oscar for Best Original Screenplay||Callie Khouri||won||-|
Callie Khouri won for best original screenplay to Oscar . Geena Davis and Susan Sarandon ( Best Actress ), Adrian Biddle ( Best Cinematography ), Ridley Scott ( Best Director ) and Thom Noble ( Best Editing ) were nominated for an Oscar.
Geena Davis also won the David di Donatello , Boston Society of Film Critics Award, and the National Board of Review Award ; she was nominated for the MTV Movie Award . Susan Sarandon won the David di Donatello, the National Board of Review Award, and the London Critics Circle Film Award ; she was nominated for the MTV Movie Award . Ridley Scott won the London Critics Circle Film Award , the Danish Bodil Prize and the Espiga de Oro (Grand Prize) at the Valladolid International Film Festival ; it was nominated for the Directors Guild of America Award and the French César for best foreign film . Harvey Keitel won the National Society of Film Critics Award .
“A black comedy with a lot of enthusiasm for its characters, which fills the familiar cliché of the otherwise more 'masculine' accented road movie with a new meaning. The precise script was turned into an entertaining and system-critical film. "
The following songs were used in this film:
- Little Honey ( John Doe , David Alvin ) - sung by Kelly Willis
- Wild Night ( Van Morrison ) - sung by Martha Reeves
- House of Hope ( Toni Childs ) - sung by Toni Childs
- I Don't Want To Love You (But I Do) ( Paul Kennedy ) - sung by Kelly Willis
- Mercury Blues ( Robert Geddins , KC Douglas ) - sung by Charlie Sexton
- Tennessee Plates ( John Hiatt , Mike Porter ) - sung by Charlie Sexton
- I Don't Wanna Play House ( Glenn Sutton , Billy Sherill ) - sung by Tammy Wynette
- Badlands (Charlie Sexton) - sung by Charlie Sexton
- Part Of You, Part Of Me ( Glenn Frey , Jack Tempchin ) - sung by Glenn Frey
- The Way You Do The Things You Do ( William Robinson , Robert Rogers ) - sung by The Temptations
- Kick The Stones ( Chris Whitley ) - sung by Chris Whitley
- I Can't Untie You From Me ( Holly Knight , Grayson Hugh ) - sung by Grayson Hugh
- No Lookin 'Back ( Kenny Loggins , Michael McDonald , Ed Sanford ) - sung by Michael McDonald
- Drawn To The Fire ( Pam Tillis , Stan Webb ) - sung by Pam Tillis
- The Ballad Of Lucy Jordan ( Shel Silverstein ) - sung by Marianne Faithfull
- Don't Look Back (Holly Knight, Grayson Hugh) - sung by Grayson Hugh
- I Can See Clearly Now ( Johnny Nash ) - sung by Johnny Nash
- Better Not Look Down ( Joe Sample , Will Jennings ) - sung by BB King
Allusions to Thelma & Louise can now be found in many films, series episodes and in three video games.
- The naked cannon 33⅓
- The strange behavior of sexually mature urbanites during the mating season
- Léon - the professional
- Wayne's World 2
- When Night is Falling
- 25 km / h
- Simpsons episode "The Rebel Women" (Season 5, Episode 6)
- Seinfeld episode "At the car dealer" (Season 7, Episode 11)
- Spongebob SquarePants episode "A Tear in the Pothole" (Season 4, Episode 77a)
- Frasier episode "From Nightmare to Nightmare" (Season 11, Episode 14)
- Gilmore Girls - (Season 6, Episode 11)
- Scrubs - Season 3, Episode 10 ("My Rules")
- Supernatural episode "Be Yourself" (Season 5, Episode 3)
- Brothers & Sisters - (Season 4, episode 19)
The Danish rockabilly punk band HorrorPops released the title "Thelma & Louise" in 2008, which takes up the topic.
- Thelma & Louise in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Thelma & Louise at Rotten Tomatoes (English)
- Thelma & Louise at Metacritic (English)
- Thelma & Louise in the online film database
- Discussion of the film music
- Film information from Kino Xenix, Zurich